March 28, 2024, 10:26:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390596 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-30/trayvon-martin-zimmerman-crime-debate/53898674/1

Lawyers: Court of public opinion no place for Trayvon case
By Yamiche Alcindor and Natalie DiBlasio, USA TODAYUpdated 12m ago

On one side there is a visceral reaction to the man who pulled the trigger in the Trayvon Martin killing: Thousands of people have used social media to label George Zimmerman guilty of racial profiling and murder. A "KillZimmerman" Twitter account began publishing calls for violence against him.

On the other side, particularly in the past few days, there are impassioned pleas by Zimmerman's brother, father, lawyer and friends begging the public to consider the counter-argument: The 28-year-old neighborhood watch captain struggled for his life against an aggressive attacker. He fired the gun, they say, in a kill-or-be-killed moment.
 ::snipping2::
Trayvon's family and Zimmerman's family tell different stories, but it's important that both sides and the public be prepared to accept the decision of the grand jury and the state and federal officials handling the case, Reep said. The Seminole County grand jury considering the case will convene April 10.
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »

The Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation sounds just like George & Cindy's "Foundation".

You give the family $500 and they will give you recognition on the Thank You page, You also get a Special T- Shirt &  Poster.

Supposedly, this is not a scam and it is verified by their lawyer.

So far they have received $ 19,028.44 in donations.

https://www.wepay.com/donations/3819

http://parkscrump.com/justicetm/donations/

oh, and their lawyer is known for civil rights cases.

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

I'm still saying "I'm not so sure" even if they say the money is in fact going toward the fund.

That part is in the left hand corner.  Maybe it's me......... IDK.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-201203301004usnewsusnwr201203280328debate.ground.pmar30,0,7011076.story

Sometimes There's No Choice but to 'Stand Your Ground'
U.S. News & World Report
 March 30, 2012

The shooting in Sanford, Fla., confirms the value of "stand your ground" laws. As information trickles out, we learn that the shooter, George Zimmerman, had lost track of Trayvon Martin during the course of his service with the gated community's neighborhood watch.
When on his way back to his truck, there are reports that Martin came from behind and slugged Zimmerman, dropping him to the ground. Then Martin, who was 6-foot-3, jumped on top of Zimmerman and began slamming his head into the sidewalk and pummeling his face, breaking his nose and fattening his lip. This was witnessed by a resident who lives in front of where the attack occurred.

With this set of facts, we are not even dealing with Florida's SYG law. That law says that if you are in fear of your life or great bodily harm you don't have to retreat. Zimmerman had no way to retreat. The grass stains on the back of his shirt would seem to corroborate that he was simply acting in defense of his life.

If anyone has wondered why the police did not arrest Zimmerman, it's because they were looking at his broken nose and bloody head wound--plus the eyewitness reports that he was the one being pummeled--as objective evidence that Martin was the aggressor.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-30/news/os-george-zimmerman-trayvon-al-sharpton-20120330_1_civil-disobedience-national-action-network-national-association

Al Sharpton: Civil disobedience will escalate if Zimmerman remains free
2:22 p.m. EST, March 30, 2012|
By Arelis R. Hernández, Orlando Sentinel

If George Zimmerman is not arrested in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin soon, theRev. Al Sharpton will call for an escalation in peaceful civil disobedience and economic sanctions.

Sharpton would not say the efforts would be taken against the city of Sanford specifically, but he has been critical of the police department's handling of the case.

Saturday's scheduled 11 a.m. march from Crooms Academy of Information Technology to the Sanford Police Department headquarters was organized by National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Coordinators said people will be bused in from other states to participate.

The civil rights activist and syndicated television show host said he will elaborate on this plan Saturday.

"I will speak about how the National Action Network will move to the next level if Zimmerman isn't arrested," Sharpton said, who founded the organization. He added that it was the Martin family and lawyers who first asked him to get involved and nationalize this story.

TheRev. Jesse Jacksonis also expected to participate in the event.
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »

Anyone remember the Duke Lacrosse case? I bet this one will end up the same way.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »

Anyone remember the Duke Lacrosse case? I bet this one will end up the same way.

Could be right.

Also, parents who try to benefit from the demise of their child make me ill...I have stated before, there is something about the mother that puts me off...can't say for sure what it is..jmo

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

Al Sharpton's comments amount to blackmail if u ask me...

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

Al Sharpton's comments amount to blackmail if u ask me...

Will give others the message that it is ok to riot and loot innocent people's property and businesses!   Al and Jessie need to call for calm instead of inciting reprecussions if his demands are not met.

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »

IMO, The family knows this was in self defense.  Unless Everyone in this case is in on a big conspiracy, then it was just that: self defense. JMO.

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-30/news/os-george-zimmerman-trayvon-al-sharpton-20120330_1_civil-disobedience-national-action-network-national-association

Al Sharpton: Civil disobedience will escalate if Zimmerman remains free
2:22 p.m. EST, March 30, 2012|
By Arelis R. Hernández, Orlando Sentinel

If George Zimmerman is not arrested in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin soon, theRev. Al Sharpton will call for an escalation in peaceful civil disobedience and economic sanctions.

Sharpton would not say the efforts would be taken against the city of Sanford specifically, but he has been critical of the police department's handling of the case.

Saturday's scheduled 11 a.m. march from Crooms Academy of Information Technology to the Sanford Police Department headquarters was organized by National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Coordinators said people will be bused in from other states to participate.

The civil rights activist and syndicated television show host said he will elaborate on this plan Saturday.

"I will speak about how the National Action Network will move to the next level if Zimmerman isn't arrested," Sharpton said, who founded the organization. He added that it was the Martin family and lawyers who first asked him to get involved and nationalize this story.

TheRev. Jesse Jacksonis also expected to participate in the event.

Why am I not surprised at this?

Trouble is that their hatred is blinding them into not seeing they are trampling on the civil rights of Zimmerman.

Challapalca him!
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »

i just so hope that the killing of Trayvon,will get that stand your ground law
repealed, or at least some amendments to it,like it should be a given the case
be reviewed by a GJ,and what circumstances it could should be used
id like to see the law thrown out,the average citizen is not mentally or emotionally,
able to deal with such an ideal,i just cant even imagine what, whoever proposed
that bill/law were thinking

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »

MARCH 29--The comedian Roseanne Barr last night tweeted the home address of George Zimmerman’s parents to her 110,000-plus Twitter followers, only to delete the posting after “not fully understanding that it was private not public.”

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/roseanne-barr-zimmerman-tweets-893416

ME:  RB is a Jerk. 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »

I think that all of the facts need to be out so that we all can know what really happened. Trayvons parents and zimmermans family and us. At this point, it appears that Zimmerman was the aggressor and followed trayvon when the kid was doing nothing but walking home from the store...but I am waiting with a pretty open mind...would it have been so much different if trayvon was the shooter and Zimmerman was the dead person? I think that trayvon would be in jail right about now. Are we ever going to know what really happened? Sad scenario cause trayvon is dead and Zimmerman is going to be forever looking over his shoulder.....

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »

Is it really SO far fetched to believe that a 17 year old young man can not do what they say he didn't do?

IMO, If What Zimmerman is saying is true, then it very well could have happened the way he says it did.

IMO, I think maybe TM's family is playing the race card just like JJ & Al Sharpton is doing.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »

Jamcakes,,,,to be blunt, al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are not interested in any person's civil rights unless they are black...have you ever seen them show up for any other race?  I wish that they were for everyone's civil rights but they are not...

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »

Is it really SO far fetched to believe that a 17 year old young man can not do what they say he didn't do?

IMO, If What Zimmerman is saying is true, then it very well could have happened the way he says it did.

IMO, I think maybe TM's family is playing the race card just like JJ & Al Sharpton is doing.

Agree...his parents have done that from the get go in my opinion,which is sad..every case of murder does not always imply racism because the victim and the perp are a different race.  Jmo

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »

Did TM's family know that Al Sharpton was going to play the race card or have they never heard of him before?

Because, If they know what Sharpton is like and yet they got in contact with him anyways, them I'm going to scream.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

Roseanne Barr is an arse if you ask me

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »

http://**/sltrib/world/53826625-68/zimmerman-martin-case-defense.html.csp
Old photos may be deceptive in Fla. shooting case
By MATT SEDENSK
| The Associated Press
First Published 1 hour ago • Updated 1 hour ago
March 30, 2012

West Palm Beach, Fla. • When he was shot, Trayvon Martin was not the baby-faced boy in the photo that has been on front pages across the country. And George Zimmerman wasn’t the beefy-looking figure in the widely published mugshot.

Both photos are a few years old and no longer entirely accurate. Yet they may have helped shape initial public perceptions of the deadly shooting.
"When you have such a lopsided visual comparison, it just stands to reason that people would rush to judgment," said Kenny Irby, who teaches visual journalism at the Poynter Institute, a journalism think tank in St. Petersburg, Fla.

The most widely seen picture of Martin, released by his family, was evidently taken a few years ago and shows a smiling, round-cheeked youngster in a red T-shirt. But at his death, Martin was 17 years old, around 6 feet tall and, according to his family’s attorney, about 140 pounds.

Zimmerman, 28, is best known from a 7-year-old booking photo of an apparently heavyset figure with an imposing stare, pierced ear and facial hair, the orange collar of his jail uniform visible. The picture, released by police following the deadly shooting, was taken after Zimmerman’s 2005 arrest on an assault-on-an-officer charge that was eventually dropped.

In a police video made public this week of Zimmerman being brought in for questioning a half-hour after the shooting, the 5-foot-9 man appears much slimmer.

Betsi Grabe, a professor at Indiana University-Bloomington who has studied the effect of news images on public opinion, said photos that gain the most traction play into the desires of both journalists and the public for a story with a distinct victim and aggressor.
Grabe said it is natural to present the most innocent-looking image of the person believed to be the victim, and the most menacing one of the suspect.

A more complex portrait of the two figures has emerged since then. A photo of a beaming Zimmerman looking sharp in a jacket and tie has come out, along with a more recent picture of Martin, with gold teeth and a white sleeveless undershirt. At the same time, it was learned that Martin had been suspended from school for marijuana residue in his backpack.

"Everyone’s views seem to be gyrating back and forth with each new scrap of evidence that comes out," said David O. Markus, a prominent Miami defense attorney. "This is why we have courts and juries, and why the process is slow. No one should rush to judgment."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.