March 29, 2024, 07:49:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390781 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/09/2739151/trayvon-martin-case.html

Posted on Monday, 04.09.12
Prosecutor: No grand jury

::snipping2::
In Florida, the decision on whether to indict someone in capital cases must be made by a grand jury. In all lesser cases the decision to file charges are routinely made by prosecutors. But in highly controversial or difficult cases, prosecutors often defer to a grand jury, leaving the politically charged decision to a panel of citizens

Corey’s office pointed out that the decision not to take the case to a grand jury should not be taken as an indication of which way she’s going to decide.

“The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case,” her office said in a release.

Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Trayvon’s parents, issued a statement after Corey’s decision Monday.

“We are not surprised by this announcement and, in fact, are hopeful that a decision will be reached very soon to arrest George Zimmerman and give Trayvon Martin's family the simple justice they have been seeking all along,” Crump said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/09/2739151/trayvon-martin-case.html#storylink=cpy
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »

SANFORD, Fla. —

Two sources told WFTV on Monday that gunman George Zimmerman could be arrested this week, and that a Grand Jury will not meet on Tuesday.

Zimmerman has been in hiding because of threats, after he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He claims he shot Martin in self-defense.

Jacksonville State Attorney Angela Corey has the sole authority to determine whether Zimmerman will be charged for killing Martin.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/lawyers-gunman-george-zimmerman-say-hell-speak-out/nMTkN/
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »

OK, here's what I don't understand. Despite all the hoopla and grandstanding on all sides, the facts to me are these: Trayvon Martin had every bit as much right to be where he was as George Zimmerman did. He was minding his own business in a place where he was supposed to be. He was followed and reported to the police simply because GZ thought he looked "suspicious." At some point there was a confrontation and the young unarmed man was shot and killed by an older man who supposedly knew all about surveillance, law enforcement procedures, self-defense, and the proper use of firearms. I don't understand how this can be justifiable homicide under any circumstances. What am I missing?

I agree with what you are saying.  My question is pretty simple:  Did GZ stop chasing him once he called the police and they told him to stop?  (Now it gets complicated.) If so, then what happened AFTER that; was HE then attacked?  Did it turn into a self-defense case?  If he didn't stop, then he is guilty IMO.  If people make their decisions because of all of the hoopla then I'm going to be angry.  Look at the evidence on this case like ANY other.  If they didn't do this from the beginning then shame on them.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »

Tonight: The Trayvon Martin Case

What's next in the Trayvon Martin case? Jeff Ashton, Alan Dershowitz, Roy Black and more break it down. Also, Lewis Black.

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/09/11104813-george-zimmerman-takes-to-web-to-raise-money-for-legal-costs-lawyers-confirm?lite
George Zimmerman takes to Web to raise money for legal costs, lawyers confirm
April 9, 2012

Updated at 6:29 p.m. ET: George Zimmerman, the Florida man who claims he shot and killed Trayvon Martin in self-defense, has set up a personal website to collect money for his legal expenses, his attorneys told NBC News on Monday.

Several sites purporting to raise money for Zimmerman, 28, have popped up since he shot Martin, 17, on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., but "I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites," Zimmerman writes on therealgeorgezimmerman.com.

Attorneys confirmed to NBC News that the site, which domain records show was created Sunday, is real and is operated by Zimmerman himself. It solicits donations through PayPal with a promise that "any funds provided are used only for living expenses and legal defense, in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment."

Access to the site was hit or miss as it appeared to be having trouble handling a heavy stream of visitors after msnbc.com's initial report Monday afternoon. It wasn't known whether any of those visitors had used the provided link to make a donation.

As for the case itself, Zimmerman says, "I cannot discuss the details of the event on February 26th" to allow authorities "to proceed with their investigation unhindered."
More...

If you scroll down at the link you can read:  "Here's the full statement from Zimmerman on his website:"
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »

In a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, obtained exclusively by The Daily Caller, a family member of George Zimmerman asked the nation’s top law enforcement officer why he has chosen to not arrest members of the New Black Panther Party for their rhetoric — some of which may fit the federal government’s definition of a hate crime — throughout the Trayvon Martin case.

The family member believes the reason Holder hasn’t made those arrests is because he, like the members of the New Black Panther Party, is black.

“I am writing you to ask you why, when the law of the land is crystal clear, is your office not arresting the New Black Panthers for hate crimes?” the family member wrote to Holder.

“The Zimmerman family is in hiding because of the threats that have been made against us, yet the DOJ has maintained an eerie silence on this matter. These threats are very public. If you haven’t been paying attention just do a Google search and you will find plenty. Since when can a group of people in the United States put a bounty on someone’s head, circulate Wanted posters publicly, and still be walking the streets?”

The New Black Panthers have issued ultimatums to the Sanford authorities, saying they want Zimmerman arrested “dead or alive.” They have placed a bounty on Zimmerman’s head, and have called for the building of an army of vigilantes to track him down and effect a citizen’s arrest.

Most recently, the New Black Panther Party has called for violence.

In a conference call recorded over the weekend, the militant group said it planned to “suit up and boot up” and prepare for the next stages of the “race war.”  ::snipping2:: 

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/09/zimmerman-family-challenges-holder-on-new-black-panthers-says-no-arrests-based-solely-on-your-race/#ixzz1raZF7a9a
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »

Hi Monkey's,

There was puzzle about Mr. Taaffe's son.  Mr.T mentioned again about his son,
today on JVM.

an angelic monkey

I believe this may be the son. Why he continues to bring up his son, is just puzzling. 

(to show this may be Mr Frank Taaffe, possible as Francis)

http://www.intelius.com/results.php?ReportType=1&formname=name&qf=Frank&qmi=&qn=Taaffe&qcs=Sanford%2C+FL&focusfirst=1

Possible son of Mr. T

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/orlandosentinel/obituary.aspx?n=william-christopher-taaffe-will&pid=117819577

This is my opinion.  Mr T must want us to know about his son, I will say a Prayer:)

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
sailcat
Scared Monkey

« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »

OK, here's what I don't understand. Despite all the hoopla and grandstanding on all sides, the facts to me are these: Trayvon Martin had every bit as much right to be where he was as George Zimmerman did. He was minding his own business in a place where he was supposed to be. He was followed and reported to the police simply because GZ thought he looked "suspicious." At some point there was a confrontation and the young unarmed man was shot and killed by an older man who supposedly knew all about surveillance, law enforcement procedures, self-defense, and the proper use of firearms. I don't understand how this can be justifiable homicide under any circumstances. What am I missing?

I agree with what you are saying.  My question is pretty simple:  Did GZ stop chasing him once he called the police and they told him to stop?  (Now it gets complicated.) If so, then what happened AFTER that; was HE then attacked?  Did it turn into a self-defense case?  If he didn't stop, then he is guilty IMO.  If people make their decisions because of all of the hoopla then I'm going to be angry.  Look at the evidence on this case like ANY other.  If they didn't do this from the beginning then shame on them.
Excellent points! I have another question or concern that I don't recall seeing anyone address. If - and it's a big if - Trayvon Martin actually started pummeling George Zimmerman, shouldn't that be considered legal and acceptable under the "Stand Your Ground" law? It looks like if anyone should have felt that his life was being threatened, it was the guy who was being harassed by a fellow with a gun.

"Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »

Folks just need to stop trying to make this case into something for their own personal vendetta's.  Violence will not solve anything, and this goes for any parties trying to insert themselves into the case.  JMHO

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/04/heavily_armed_neo-nazis_patrol.php
Armed Neo-Nazis Now Claim To Be Patrolling Sanford, Say They Are "Prepared" for Post-Trayvon Martin Violence UPDATED

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-posts-statement-trayvon-martin-website/story?id=16104918
George Zimmerman Releases Statement, Speaking for First Time About Trayvon Martin Case
April 9, 2012

Video at Link

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-case-no-grand-jury

George Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin case: No grand jury
Charges can still be filed

Posted: 04/09/2012
Last Updated: 5 hours and 29 minutes ago

Prosecutors are trying to unravel what happened the night Martin was killed. Witnesses and attorneys for both sides have offered conflicting accounts. Two prosecutors are working to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to bring charges against Zimmerman, 28.

"We had hoped she had enough evidence without the need to convene a grand jury," said Benjamin Crump, attorney for Martin's family. "The family is trying to have patience and faith through all of this."

Crump said the family is hoping for charges against Zimmerman and an arrest as soon as possible.

"We want a very public trial so the evidence can come out and show people that the justice system works for everybody," he said.

Zimmerman's attorney, Hal Uhrig, texted his reaction to CNN's Martin Savidge: "Not surprised. Don't know what her decision will be. Courageous move on her part."

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-case-no-grand-jury#ixzz1rbWqO2pP
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:25 PM »

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S2574389.shtml?cat=566

Trayvon Martin death won't go to Fla. grand jury
Posted at: 04/09/2012 10:52 PM
By: Associate Press | WHEC.com

There's still no word on whether George Zimmerman will be charged in the death of Trayvon Martin -- but if he is, the charge won't be first-degree murder.

The special prosecutor who's deciding whether to file charges announced today that she's not going to take the case to a grand jury. That's a step that would only be required in a first-degree murder case.

Angela Corey could still charge Zimmerman with a serious felony such as manslaughter, which can carry a lengthy prison sentence.

One Florida defense attorney says the decision not to go to a grand jury means Corey won't have to rely on potentially-unpredictable jurors. David Hill says Corey may know that there isn't enough for a first-degree murder charge, but she wants to charge him with something else -- and she now can "maintain control" of that process.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2012, 11:47:16 PM »

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/04/trayvon-martin-no-grand-jury-analyses-follow.html/comment-page-1

Trayvon Martin: no grand jury, analyses follow
CNN, MSNBC, Trayvon Martin, WESH, WFTV — posted by halboedeker on April, 9 2012 12:40 PM

WESH-Channel 2’s Amanda Ober said: “What does this mean? It means Corey herself will decide either to drop the case or to file charges.”

Ober added that Corey has to decide if there is enough evidence to charge Zimmerman with a crime.  ”The big challenge here is the lack of eyewitnesses,” Ober said. “George Zimmerman’s attorneys say he is now exercising his right to remain silent, so Corey has not had a chance to hear his side of the story.”

The stations and WKMG-Channel 6 also highlighted a student protest that has temporarily closed that Sanford Police Department today. The students are Trayvon Martin supporters.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »

I sure think that I would want to get my side of the story ouy especially if i was innocent..especially in light of all the publicity that this case has gotten..

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »

I sure think that I would want to get my side of the story ouy especially if i was innocent..especially in light of all the publicity that this case has gotten..
Maybe he's taking his attys' advice.  I'd be afraid that anything I said would be used to inflame the masses.  He could be worried about his family's safety as well.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/george-zimmerman-launches-website-asks-donations/nMT7q/
Shots fired at Sanford police car;

Sanford police said shots were fired into an empty police cruiser parked near the townhome community where Trayvon Martin was shot to death.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »

Maybe he's taking his attys' advice.  I'd be afraid that anything I said would be used to inflame the masses.  He could be worried about his family's safety as well.

Yes,,I realize those points but it would be hard not to defend myself.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/george-zimmerman-launches-website-asks-donations/nMT7q/
Shots fired at Sanford police car;

Sanford police said shots were fired into an empty police cruiser parked near the townhome community where Trayvon Martin was shot to death.

Heard that...perhaps activity around the complex required neighborhood watch in the past?

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/trayvon_martin/040912-protestors-force-closure-of-sanford-police-department
Protestors force closure of Sanford Police Department

The protesters blocked the entrance Monday morning upon learning that a grand jury would not be convened, prompting the police headquarters to close to the public for the day.
Protesters only left the station after Florida State Attorney Angela Corey talked to them over the phone and gave her assurances that the investigation was continuing.

This is outrageous.  Why does LE allow such antics?  Pepper spray them then haul their disrespectful butts off to jail.  There are people in Sanford with legitimate needs for LE services that have nothing to do with Martin/Zimmerman.  What about those persons?  Are their lives to be put on hold because protesters want to hold a police station hostage?  The State Atty should never have caved to them.   

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »

Trayvon Martin's family attorney blasts new Zimmerman website

7:53 a.m. EST, April 10, 2012|By Kevin P. Connolly, Orlando Sentinel

An attorney for Trayvon Martin's family blasted George Zimmerman's new website in an appearance with Trayvon's mother on Good Morning America.

Shooter Zimmerman said in the website that "I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage" on Feb. 26, referring to the fatal shooting of Trayvon   ::snipping2:: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-10/news/os-george-zimmerman-website-trayvon-20120410_1_incident-and-subsequent-media-website-shooter-zimmerman
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.