March 28, 2024, 03:38:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390544 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »

Posted: 4:05 p.m. Tuesday, April 10, 2012

George Zimmerman's lawyers to hold news conference

George Zimmerman's lawyers are holding a news conference Tuesday afternoon in Seminole County.

It is not clear what the news conference is about.

Lawyers are meeting in front of the criminal justice building at 4:30

http://www.wdbo.com/news/news/local/george-zimmermans-lawyers-hold-news-conference/nMWdP/ p.m.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »

http://www.wftv.com/s/watchlive/
breaking news
Watch Live: 4:30 p.m. news conference on Trayvon Martin case

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

Prosecutor's quandary: Zimmerman may be indicted, then acquitted

By Alan M. Dershowitz , Special to CNN

updated 4:09 PM EDT, Tue April 10, 2012

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
 Alan Dershowitz: Prosecutor in Trayvon Martin case could face "nightmare scenario"

Editor's note: Alan Dershowitz is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School.

(CNN) -- On the basis of the evidence currently in the public record, one likely outcome of the case against George Zimmerman is a mixed one: There may be sufficient evidence for a reasonable prosecutor to indict him for manslaughter, but there may also be doubt sufficient for a reasonable jury to acquit him.

Any such predictions should be accepted with an abundance of caution, however, because the evidence known to the special prosecutor, but not to the public, may paint a different picture. It may be stronger or weaker.

Media reports suggest that police found Zimmerman with grass stains on the back of his shirt, bloody bruises on the back of his head and other indicia that may support his contention that Trayvon Martin was banging his head against the ground when Zimmerman shot him.

We don't know what Martin's body or clothing show, other than the fatal bullet wound. If there are no comparable bruises or grass stains and if the bullet wound and powder residue establish that the gun was fired at very close range, this too might support a claim of self-defense.

Then there is a recorded cry for help, which, if it turns out to be the voice of Martin, would undercut the defense -- if the voice analysis passes scientific muster and is deemed admissible into evidence.

There may be additional forensic evidence -- or witnesses -- of which we are now unaware, though it is unlikely there is a "smoking gun."

Finally, there is the overarching and historically painful reality that an unarmed black teenager lies dead at the hand of an armed Hispanic man who ignored a dispatcher's advice not to follow and engage the "suspect," and who may have -- and this too is forensically unclear -- uttered a racial epithet while chasing him.

These "facts" give rise to several possible scenarios of what may actually have occurred on that dark rainy night. Under the Florida self-defense statute, it matters greatly what happened, most especially who "initially provoke[d] the use of force," and who started the physical encounter.

If Zimmerman initially provoked the deadly encounter, then he cannot invoke any "stand your ground" defense. He would then be under a legal obligation to "exhaust ... every reasonable means to escape."

Though this statute is anything but a model of clarity, it does suggest that whoever "provokes" a deadly encounter has a heavy burden of justification in claiming self-defense. But the statute doesn't define "provokes," and that ambiguous word may hold the key to the outcome of this tragic case.

If provocation is limited to a physical assault, and if Zimmerman's account that Martin blindsided him with a punch is believed, then Zimmerman did not provoke the encounter. But if provocation includes following the victim and harassing him, then Zimmerman may well qualify as a provocateur. Moreover, a jury may believe that Zimmerman started the physical confrontation by grabbing Martin. This would almost certainly constitute provocation.

But to complicate matters further, even a provocateur has the legal right to defend himself under Florida law if he can't escape and if he is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, as Zimmerman claims he was.

All this goes to show how factually driven this case is under Florida law. And we don't yet know all the facts. The special prosecutor, who has said she will not use a grand jury to decide whether to indict Zimmerman, has an obligation to consider all the evidence and to apply the law to the facts.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/opinion/dershowitz-trayvon-prosecutor-nightmare/index.html
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

http://www.kltv.com/story/17371121/zimmermans-attorneys-have-lost-contact-with-him-withdraw-from-case

Zimmerman's attorneys have lost contact with him, withdraw from case
Posted: Apr 10, 2012 4:56 AM CDT Updated: Apr 10, 2012 3:57 PM CDT

RNN) - Attorneys for George Zimmerman said Tuesday they have lost touch with him, and are withdrawing their counsel. They have not met the embattled neighborhood watch captain face-to-face.

The last time they heard from him was Sunday.

"He has not returned phone calls or text messages or e-mails, which has led me to believe that I cannot go forward speaking [on his behalf]," Craig Sonner, one of Zimmerman's former attorneys, said.

Hal Uhrig, Zimmerman's former attorney, said Zimmerman has contacted Fox News' Sean Hannity, as well as prosecutors working on the case.

"We were quite astonished at that," Uhrig said.

The pair helped Zimmerman set up a website to raise funds for his defense with money set to go directly to Zimmerman's father. However, when the attorneys began getting questions from reporters about The Real George Zimmerman website, they realized he had gone off on his own and set up the website himself.

The The Real George Zimmerman website asks for funds to help support his legal defense.

Uhrig said they know where Zimmerman is; however, he will not return phone calls from them.

"We have a pretty good idea of where he is. We have his phone number," Uhrig said. "It goes to voice mail. That's the number he's used to contact the prosecutor's office."

Sonner said his former legal team cannot represent Zimmerman under the current conditions.

"We cannot ethically go forward and say we are representing George Zimmerman when he's giving interviews and things, and setting up wesites that I don't know about," Sonner said.

Uhrig said he was concerned about Zimmerman's condition, indicating Zimmerman has lost weight and is probably suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Our fear is not so much about the money. We were initially concerned about the website that someone else had set this up and was taking advantage of the situation. Our concern runs deeper than that," Uhrig said. "This has been a terribly corrosive process"

Both lawyers indicated they strongly believe in Zimmerman's innocence, as far as his claims that he acted in self-defense.

"We absolutely stand by everything we've said about this case. We hope for the best for George Zimmerman. We hope for the best for the Martin family," Uhrig said. "He's gotta reach out to us. We are his legal representatives. He's got to affirm that. If he does that, we'll help him."
 ::snipping2::
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2012, 05:19:04 PM »

Too bad LE didn't see fit to test George Zimmerman at the time of the incident for drugs or alcohol...

We wouldn't be left guessing or wondering if he was under the influence.

I bet they tested Trayvon's remains for drugs and alcohol.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/04/zimmerman-lawyer-to-hold-news-conference/1?csp=34news
Zimmerman's lawyers withdraw from Martin case
April 10, 2012

Lawyers for George Zimmerman, the man who claimed he killed Trayvon Martin in self-defense, said at a conference that they are withdrawing as his counsel because he has stopped communicating with them. They also said he contacted the Florida special prosecutor investigating the Feb. 26 shooting death of Martin.

Updated at 5:06 p.m. ET: Addressing the question of, "Is George Zimmerman a racist?", Uhrig cites Zimmerman's mixed heritage -- his mother is Peruvian -- and his having friends of other races.

"He's not a member of the Aryan Nation," he says. "He's a neighborhood-watch guy."

Update at 5:04 p.m. ET: Sonner and Uhrigh both reiterate that they believe that the evidence shows Zimmerman "was acting in self-defense that night."

Update at 4:55 p.m. ET: Attorney Craig Sonner says he doesn't believe Zimmerman will flee the country. He and Hal Uhrig say they have not met Zimmerman and had communicated him daily by texts, phone calls and email. They say he is in the United States but do not know where he is.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Zimmerman-s-legal-team-withdraws/-/475880/10428242/-/10f1x9a/-/

Zimmerman's legal team withdraws
Neighborhood watch leader who shot unarmed teen isn't returning attorneys' calls
Published On: Apr 10 2012 04:54:38 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 10 2012 05:20:54 PM EDT

In a news conference outside the Seminole County Courthouse, Sonner and Hal Uhrig said that Zimmerman has not returned their phone calls, emails or text messages since Sunday. His attorneys said they learned that Zimmerman called Corey's office and volunteered to come in and talk with them -- something no defense attorney would allow. Corey's staff refused to talk to him without an attorney -- something Uhrig praised.

"We're impressed with the professionalism of the Duval County state attorney's office," Uhrig said
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/sean-hannity-george-zimmerman_n_1416080.html

Sean Hannity Spoke To George Zimmerman Off The Record, Former Lawyers Say
The Huffington Post  |  By Jack Mirkinson Posted: 04/10/2012 4:47 pm Updated: 04/10/2012 5:13 pm

During that press conference, they revealed that Zimmerman had had a conversation with Hannity.

"We learned that he had contacted Sean Hannity of Fox News directly, not through us, and we believe, I can't confirm this, we believe that he spoke directly with Sean, off the record, and he's not even willing to tell us what our client told him," attorney Hal Uhrig said.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/317432/20120321/trayvon-martin-case-george-zimmerman-drug-test.htm
Why Wasn't George Zimmerman Given Drug, Alcohol Tests but Travyon Was?

"Except for DUIs, police cannot test suspects for drugs or alcohol, unless the accused demands or consents to it, or they get a warrant. Trayvon Martin was tested for drugs and alcohol because it is the normal procedure of autopsies to determine the exact cause of death or contributing factors of death," the Washington Times said. "The so-called law enforcement and legal experts who claim Zimmerman should have been tested demonstrate they have no expertise."

And here it is folks...whether he'd shown positive or negative, any defense atty would have it thrown out.  Had the positions been reversed, Martin's atty would do the same and be screaming racial profiling if LE had even questioned the need for a tox test.

I've just spoken with my father who is a retired law enforcement officer.  He said absolutely, if you have a suspect at the scene of a homicide you can do drug and alcohol testing and it does not have to be at their consent.  Florida may be different but in our state it is standard procedure.

I have a cousin who is a LE officer in Massachusettes and I'm going to check in with her as well.
sailcat
Scared Monkey

« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »

I wonder what TM's parents will be doing with the money they are making off of gullible people once this is all over with?
Whatever the money does, it won't bring back their child who was taken from them.

"Don't think there are no crocodiles because the water is calm."
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/317432/20120321/trayvon-martin-case-george-zimmerman-drug-test.htm
Why Wasn't George Zimmerman Given Drug, Alcohol Tests but Travyon Was?

"Except for DUIs, police cannot test suspects for drugs or alcohol, unless the accused demands or consents to it, or they get a warrant. Trayvon Martin was tested for drugs and alcohol because it is the normal procedure of autopsies to determine the exact cause of death or contributing factors of death," the Washington Times said. "The so-called law enforcement and legal experts who claim Zimmerman should have been tested demonstrate they have no expertise."

And here it is folks...whether he'd shown positive or negative, any defense atty would have it thrown out.  Had the positions been reversed, Martin's atty would do the same and be screaming racial profiling if LE had even questioned the need for a tox test.

I've just spoken with my father who is a retired law enforcement officer.  He said absolutely, if you have a suspect at the scene of a homicide you can do drug and alcohol testing and it does not have to be at their consent.  Florida may be different but in our state it is standard procedure.

I have a cousin who is a LE officer in Massachusettes and I'm going to check in with her as well.
Although it may be done without consent, I would think a warrant would be necessary if it is to be used in a court of law. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Angela-Corey-to-present-new-information-in-Trayvon-Martin-case/-/1637132/10452410/-/okqsez/-/index.html

Angela Corey to present new information in Trayvon Martin case

State Attorney Angela Corey, the special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case, announced on Tuesday night that she will hold a news conference sometime within the next three days.

The media will be notified three hours in advance of the news conference as to when and where it will be held -- either Jacksonville or Sanford.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-10/entertainment/os-george-zimmerman-bizarre-tv-041012_1_news-conference-criminal-defense-lawyer-wofl
George Zimmerman's lawyers give bizarre news conference

I'm beginning to think that GZ has had some type of mental health crisis.  I know I would if I had a group of hatemongers putting a bounty on my head.  His family should keep a close watch on him.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »

Seahorse...our Target stores sell alcohol...I think it was you who had inquired about it...I think that most of them do.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »

Wonder what is going to happen if GZ is not arrested? What if the new evidence shows that it was self defense? People who are protesting are not oing to accept that even if it was true...this is not going to be pretty..

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »

Neighbor: George Zimmerman called me
Frank Taaffe tells Local 6 he spoke to Zimmerman after grand jury announcement

SANFORD, Fla. -
In the midst of attorneys saying they couldn't reach George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman's neighbor says he talked to him Monday.

Frank Taaffe told Local 6 he spoke with Zimmerman on Monday afternoon around 1 p.m.,  just after special prosecutor Angela Corey decided not to send the case to a grand jury. He said Zimmerman called him and they talked for about 30 minutes.

Taaffe didn't go into huge detail about their conversation, but he did say Zimmerman's former attorneys weren't accurate when characterizing his emotional state at a news conference Tuesday. Zimmerman's attorneys Hal Uhrig and Craig Sonner have stepped down, saying they couldn't get a hold of Zimmerman and hadn't heard from him since Sunday.

"I was a little irate when I heard afterwards that people were concerned with-I guess one of them mentioned they were concerned for his mental well-being," Taafe said. "Of course he's going through some fluctuations in his life right now, but I can assure you that he was, once again, lucid, concise and clear. He wanted to share with the public that he called me."

Taaffe said he wasn't sure if Zimmerman was looking for other representation.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Neighbor-George-Zimmerman-called-me/-/1637132/10440640/-/q41ybg/-/index.html
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #356 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:09 PM »

Does J.O. have a pilot's license and a plane, in Sanford?  I am just wondering Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #357 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/11/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS176126957220120411

Zimmerman's Lawyers Withdraw, Citing Ethics
Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07am EDT

Sonner cited ethical concerns in withdrawing as Zimmerman's lawyer. Under Florida's Rules of Professional Conduct, a lawyer may withdraw if "the client insists upon taking action that the lawyer considers repugnant, imprudent, or with which the lawyer has a fundamental disagreement."

There are also situations in which a Florida lawyer must withdraw. They include when a client engages in criminal conduct, or when a lawyer is too physically or mentally impaired to do her job.

Again, Zimmerman hasn't been charged with a crime. But if proceedings had already commenced against him, his lawyers likely would have needed the court's permission to withdraw. In the end, it's the judge's decision.

Attorneys Craig Sonner and Hal Uhrig said they may represent George Zimmerman again, if he asks them to. But Zimmerman has not returned their calls, text messages, or emails. "He's gone on his own. I'm not sure what he's doing or who he's talking to," Sonner said, according to the Associated Press.
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »

Seahorse...our Target stores sell alcohol...I think it was you who had inquired about it...I think that most of them do.

Thank-you, Cookie.  I could go for a glass of wine Smile

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #359 on: April 10, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/4/10/george_zimmerman_web

By Amanda Evans and Scott McDonnell, Team Coverage
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 @ 09:00PM

SANFORD -- 
The state attorney handling the Trayvon Martin case says she will hold a news conference with new information soon.

Trayvon Martin: State attorney to break silence within 72 hours

Credit to those nice posters at JQ.

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.