March 28, 2024, 11:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390639 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-mark-omara-george-zimmerman-lawyer-2012-4

Who Is Mark O'Mara?

::snipping2::
According to a bio on the O'Mara Law Group website, O'Mara is a criminal and family law attorney, as well as a legal analyst for Central Florida's WKMG Channel 6.

In fact, just yesterday, O'Mara was opining about the Zimmerman case, telling WKMG-Channel 6 that he was "surprised that two attorneys who were no longer counsel talked for an hour about a case that they’re no longer involved in."

"I think that was a little problematic," O'Mara said. "You’re not supposed to talk about a client’s case, for the most part at all, and yet they answered dozens of questions.”

O'Mara also commented on the Martin case last month, telling WKMG that the shooting could be legally justified by Florida's Stand Your Ground Law. He also said that, without witnesses, it will come down to Zimmerman's word without any contradictions.

"If you can present evidence or at least your own testimony that (you) felt in fear that he was going to commit great bodily injury or death, that is what kicks in the statutory protection that you're allowed to respond with deadly force," O'Mara said.

O'Mara achieved minor local celebrity status in Central Florida as a TV legal analyst during the Casey Anthony trial. O'Mara frequently argued for fairness in the media's coverage of the Anthony trial, and has said that he believes there was a bias against the defense. 

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-mark-omara-george-zimmerman-lawyer-2012-4#ixzz1rm8hZY7m
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »

http://www.markomaralaw.com/Attorney-Profile/Mark-M-O-mara.shtml

O'Mara Law Group
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-mark-omara-george-zimmerman-lawyer-2012-4

Who Is Mark O'Mara?

According to a bio on the O'Mara Law Group website, O'Mara is a criminal and family law attorney, as well as a legal analyst for Central Florida's WKMG Channel 6.

In fact, just yesterday, O'Mara was opining about the Zimmerman case, telling WKMG-Channel 6 that he was "surprised that two attorneys who were no longer counsel talked for an hour about a case that they’re no longer involved in."

"I think that was a little problematic," O'Mara said. "You’re not supposed to talk about a client’s case, for the most part at all, and yet they answered dozens of questions.”

O'Mara also commented on the Martin case last month, telling WKMG that the shooting could be legally justified by Florida's Stand Your Ground Law. He also said that, without witnesses, it will come down to Zimmerman's word without any contradictions.

"If you can present evidence or at least your own testimony that (you) felt in fear that he was going to commit great bodily injury or death, that is what kicks in the statutory protection that you're allowed to respond with deadly force," O'Mara said.

O'Mara achieved minor local celebrity status in Central Florida as a TV legal analyst during the Casey Anthony trial. O'Mara frequently argued for fairness in the media's coverage of the Anthony trial, and has said that he believes there was a bias against the defense. 

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-mark-omara-george-zimmerman-lawyer-2012-4#ixzz1rm8hZY7m

BBM We all know why the "media was biased".....they read the discovery!!....and we all had to hear and see Baez and the Anthony's spin their version of mistruths.....constantly, non stop.  It all boiled down to $$$ for the media and a jury panel of non-critical thinkers, (to be nice).

Let's see how Mr. O'Mara handles this case....will he use the media as Baez did?  Only time will tell, but the way this case progressed before charges...with the 911 calls, witnesses statements, the public outcry......how much will really end up in court??? And how much of the defense will come from bloggers and such?? 

I was shocked at the 2nd degree murder charge!!  I hope the evidence that brought that charge is air tight.  If over charged, he walks.

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »

O'Mara on TV now - he is already using the media.
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »

Bond hearing tomorrow.

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #405 on: April 11, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47023276/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/
Zimmerman to plead not guilty to second-degree murder
April 11, 2012

George Zimmerman is in custody in Florida and will be charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, authorities announced Wednesday. His attorney said he would plead not guilty.
Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara — who took the case late Wednesday after Zimmerman's previous attorneys withdrew — said Zimmerman would plead not guilty and that he would seek Zimmerman's release on bond Thursday.

"I think he's troubled by the fact the state decided to charge him," O'Mara said "... I would think anyone charged with second-degree murder would be scared."

Corey said she decided last week to seek the charge but needed several days to make sure all details were in order. She said she had informed Martin's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton.
Corey refused to discuss details of the case, saying she was committed to protecting the interests of both Martin and Zimmerman.

"So much information on this case has gotten released that should never have been released," she said.

Under Florida law, Zimmerman, 28, must be taken before a judge within 24 hours of his return to Seminole County, where he has acknowledged he shot and killed Martin, 17, in the town of Sanford on Feb. 26. Corey wouldn't say where he was being held to protect his safety.
The lack of an arrest or charges had sparked protests nationwide, with critics alleging that Zimmerman confronted Martin because of his race. Zimmerman's supporters deny that.

The decision whether to arrest Zimmerman was delayed for several weeks because Zimmerman had indicated that he would argue self-defense under Florida's so-called Stand Your Ground law, which shields subjects from prosecution if a judge determines that the shooting was justified to protect life or proerty.

Corey called the law "a tough affirmative defense to overcome," but she said, "If 'Stand Your Ground' becomes an issue, we will fight that affirmative defense."

O'Mara, Zimmerman's attorney, told reporters that he didn't think Zimmerman could get a fair hearing "today" because "the emotions are just running high in Central Florida."
A federal civil rights investigation is also under way, but U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Wednesday that the Justice Department had to meet a "high bar" to bring any charges.

The main federal role is to "support the state in its ongoing investigation," Holder told reporters Wednesday morning in Washington. At the same time, he said, the Justice Department is conducting its "own thorough and parallel investigation" to try to resolve the case "in as fair and complete a way and as quickly as we can."
Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #406 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/11/2743345/after-zimmermans-arrest-what-happens.html

Posted on Wednesday, 04.11.12
After Zimmerman’s arrest, what happens next?

•  George Zimmerman faces a charge of second-degree murder with a firearm, a first-degree felony punishable by a minimum of 25 years in prison and up to life behind bars. The charge is a non-bondable offense, which means Zimmerman does not have the immediate right to post bail.

•  He will be booked into a Seminole County jail and should appear Thursday in court for a first hearing and arraignment.

•  Zimmerman will certainly plead not guilty and his defense attorney has said he will ask that his client be allowed to post bond and be released from custody.

•  Within 15 days, prosecutors must start providing Zimmerman’s defense attorney with “discovery,” the first witness statements, police reports and photos that will be used as evidence against him. Most of the evidence will be released to the public and media, although the substance of any of his confessions can be withheld before trial.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/11/2743345/after-zimmermans-arrest-what-happens.html#storylink=cpy
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #407 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »

The Real George Zimmerman

I am the real George Zimmerman,
     On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website's sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries.

It has come to my attention that some persons and/or entities have been collecting funds, thinly veiled as my “Defense Fund” or "Legal Fund". I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites as I have not received any funds collected, intended to support my family and I through this trying, tragic time.

I have created a Paypal account solely linked on this website as I would like to provide an avenue to thank my supporters personally and ensure that any funds provided are used only for living expenses and legal defense, in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment. I will also personally, maintain accountability of all funds received. I reassure you, every donation is appreciated.

Sincerely,
     George Zimmerman

Update as of 1:30pm EST on Tuesday, April 10th
     I am attempting to respond to each and everyone of my supporters personally. The support has been overwhelming in volume and strength. I thank you all and ask that you permit me the time to respond to each one of you personally. Once again thank you.
 Sincerely,
 George Zimmerman

http://therealgeorgezimmerman.com/Home_Page.php
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #408 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

Disclaimer:  I'm posting this, but I'm not certain all of it is true or has been verified.  Maybe as the trial goes on, we can look back and see what's presented as evidence and compare it against the list in the article below. 

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hFktGKkvyfqyNnKmKln9OpLukR4g?docId=a2383223771f42938895584616bd8d8f
News Guide: Q&A in the Trayvon Martin shooting
April 11, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #409 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

Same disclaimer as above, for the article I'm posting here.
Disclaimer:  I'm posting this, but I'm not certain all of it is true or has been verified.  Maybe as the trial goes on, we can look back and see what's presented as evidence and compare it against the list in the article below. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/key-events-in-the-trayvon-martin-shooting-case-in-florida/2012/04/11/gIQACKDUBT_story.html
Key events in the Trayvon Martin shooting case in Florida
April 11, 2012

Some key events involving the Trayvon Martin shooting case:

Feb. 26: Trayvon Martin, 17, is shot and killed during a confrontation with neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, 28, in Sanford, Fla. Martin was returning from a convenience store, and was carrying Skittles and an iced tea.
More...

Comments (so far)
MichaelNChicago
7:50 PM CDT
I would like to know why some events are missing from the timeline. When did the black panther group announce the bounty? They also missed the admitted editing of the 911 tape and the firing of the NBC producer.
Recommend
gbyron60
7:43 PM CDT
The professionals on both sides will view the case elements as though there were no racial components. For example, as if the shooter and victim were both white Anglo-Saxons, but keeping all other facts the same. The rest of us should try to adopt the same attitude. 

Some elements are:
(1) Was Zimmerman walking away from the original encounter, and the youth came back at him. Absent a witness to this part, I don't see the prosecution proving otherwise. (2) When interviewing Zimmerman at the scene, did the police officers examine his head to verify his story about a serious struggle? If so, what were the results? If no exam was made at the scene, was one conducted at the station? The officers will have to explain if no exam was done. (3) Does the State and the defense have qualified voice experts to analyze the voice? Do they agree on whose voice is calling for help? (4) There was blood at the scene and some must be the victim's. What tests if any were done to verify or exclude blood types of the shooter? 

Pretrial Discovery will clarify some of the above. Depending on the results, there may not be a trial, but a plea bargain. If a trial, Zimmerman is entitled to an assumption of innocence pending trial, and a solid, professional defense. At this stage, the public can't evaluate on the merits because we do not have the facts. The overwhelming media and public pressure has some weight, but professionals will want to come out with intact reputations.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #410 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »

At the link -- Mugshot of Zimmerman from Wednesday; Seminole County Sheriff's Office

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/252154/483/Zimmerman-Will-Plead-Not-Guilty-To-Second-Degree-Murder?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cbc%7Clarge

George Zimmerman Will Plead Not Guilty To Second-Degree Murder in Trayvon Martin's Death
 9:02 PM, Apr 11, 2012   

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #411 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

Definition Second Degree Murder in Florida

Second Degree Murder in Florida
 “
 Murder with a Depraved Mind occurs when a person is killed by an act evincing a depraved mind showing no regard for human life.
 ”-- Richard Hornsby
If accused of Second Degree Murder in Florida, you need to know the:
•Definition of Second Degree Murder
•Penalties for Second Degree Murder
•Defenses to Second Degree Murder  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.richardhornsby.com/crimes/homicide/second-degree-murder.html#Definition
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #412 on: April 11, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

So can GZ no longer use the SYG law? and can the jury decide that he was acting in self defense or can they only go with 2nd degree murder?

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »

If convicted of Second Degree Murder, a judge is required to impose a minimum prison sentence of 16¾ years in prison and can impose any additional combination of the following penalties:
•Up to Life in prison.
•Up to Life on probation.
•Up to $10,000 in fines.

Wow, just noticed this....
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »

The same folks that didn't want to "judge" Casey Anthony will hang this guy from the nearest tree with the same non-review of evidence that KC received, imo.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »

NBC just interrupted TV with breaking news that there was an arrest in the case! I can't believe it, like this was a President or someone along those lines.

I guess this will be the "case of the century" and will continue to be tried in the court of public opinion and paid pundits.

Challapalca him!
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if GZ isn't murdered in jail within hours.

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-George-Zimmerman-from-racial-onslaught/111653988888547
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #418 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »

http://www.sao4th.com/documents/AR-M550N_20120412_053049.pdf

IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE EIGHTEENTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
IN AND FOR SEMINOLE COUNTY, FLORIDA
STATE OF FLORIDA ISSUE CAPIAS
VS. CASE NUMBER:
SA NO: 1712F04573
GEORGE ZIMMERMAN
--------------------~/
INFORMATION
COUNT I: MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE
IN THE NAME AND BY AUTHORITY OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA, ANGELA B.
COREY, STATE ATTORNEY for the Fourth Judicial Circuit of the State of Florida, pursuant to
Executive Order of the Governor 12-72, and as such Prosecuting Attorney for this Court, through
the undersigned designated Assistant State Attorney, charges that:
COUNT I: IN THE COUNTY OF SEMINOLE, STATE OF FLORIDA, on February 26, 2012,
GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, did unlawfully and by an act imminently dangerous to another, and
evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to
effect the death of any particular individual, kill TRA YVON MARTIN, a human being under the
age of eighteen, by shooting the said victim, and during the commission of the aforementioned
Second Degree Murder, the said GEORGE ZIMMERMAN did carry, display, use, threaten to
use or attempt to use a firearm and did actually possess and discharge a firearm and as a result of
the discharge, death or great bodily harm was inflicted upon any person, contrary to the
provisions of Sections 782.04(2), 775.087(1) and 775.087(2), Florida Statutes.
ANGELA B. COREY
STATE ATTORNEY
I hereby state under oath that I am instituting this prosecution in good faith, and I certify that I
have received testimony under oath from the material witness or witnesses for the offense(s).
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #419 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-11/news/os-george-zimmerman-stand-your-ground-hearings-20120411_1_eric-sandhaus-craig-sandhaus-milton-torres
Self-defense hearing could dismiss death charge
The hearing allows the prosecution and defense to argue all the elements of self-defense in the case evidence. To get charges dismissed, the accused must convince the judge that a reasonable person would believe that using deadly force or the threat of deadly force was the only way to protect his or her life, court records show.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.