March 28, 2024, 09:06:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390592 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #420 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »

So can GZ no longer use the SYG law? and can the jury decide that he was acting in self defense or can they only go with 2nd degree murder?

His lawyer can file a motion.

•  Once all the evidence has been provided to Zimmerman’s defense team, his lawyer can file a motion for immunity under Florida’s Stand Your Ground self-defense law. A judge must hold an evidentiary hearing and decide by a “preponderance of the evidence” whether Zimmerman was acting in self-defense.

•  If a judge denies his motion for immunity, a date will be set for a trial in front of a jury. Zimmerman’s defense attorney could also ask for a “change of venue,” meaning he could be tried in a different county in Florida if a judge deems pretrial publicity has been so overwhelming that it is impossible for the defendant to get a fair trial. [/unquote]

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/11/2743345/after-zimmermans-arrest-what-happens.html#storylink=cpy
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #421 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

::snipping2:: 

What if Zimmerman's story isn't credible? Even then, a conviction is going to be hard to obtain. That's because there are apparently conflicting accounts of witnesses about who was on top in the struggle. That one fact may be enough for Zimmerman. The conflicting accounts make it more likely that a jury will find that prosecutors haven't proven their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Which eyewitness accounts are believed may depend on the recording of cries of help -- and on whether the judge allowed experts to testify about whose voice, Martin or Zimmerman's, is heard screaming.

The Stand Your Ground law won't likely offer Zimmerman much of a defense in this case, but nevertheless may still be relevant. In particular, the law offers Zimmerman the possibility of avoiding a trial. The real impact of Stand Your Ground laws is not in their expansion of the right of self-defense to the public streets -- many states, including my own liberal state of California, have allowed people to stand their ground for decades. The innovation of Stand Your Ground laws is to establish procedures to reduce the likelihood that a person who kills in self-defense ever has to stand trial.

Traditionally, one claiming self-defense would have the opportunity to raise that defense at trial before a jury. In Florida, however, the Stand Your Ground law gives defendants like Zimmerman the right to a pre-trial hearing to challenge his indictment. At this special pre-trial hearing, which will occur long before any jury trial, Zimmerman will have the opportunity to present evidence to a judge showing he acted in self-defense. If he can show that he was acting in self-defense by a "preponderance of the evidence" -- legalese for "it's more likely than not" -- then the charges against him will be dropped and he'll never face a jury. That burden of proof is not very demanding and requires a showing far less demanding than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" test used in criminal trials ordinarily.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/will-george-zimmerman-be_b_1419030.html
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #422 on: April 11, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

Angela Corey clearly states the State is prepared to argue that Zimmerman was not in a 'Stand Your Ground' scenario.  This tells me she has evidence to support that, possibly in the form of multiple witnesses and/or forensics.

At least now the murder of Trayvon Martin will be thoroughly investigated and tried in a court of law.  IMO, Corey has made the right decision irregardless of public opinion or skin color.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:41 AM »

I don't remember reading this article.  It might have been posted earlier--sorry.  Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1221036.ece

Definitions of race cloud case of black teen's shooting
By Michael Kruse, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Trayvon Martin was black.

George Zimmerman, the 28-year-old who shot and killed the 17-year-old late last month in Sanford, is … what?

He has been described by the many different news organizations covering the case in a variety of different ways: white, Hispanic, white and Hispanic. All true. The most recent assessment from the Associated Press? Police call him white. His family says he's Hispanic. Again, not wrong.

In a written statement to the Orlando Sentinel, Zimmerman's father sought to accentuate his son's Hispanic ethnicity: "George is a Spanish speaking minority with many black family members and friends. He would be the last to discriminate for any reason whatsoever."

The first sentence doesn't necessarily lead to the second, of course, but this declaration from the family is important. Why? Quick explainer: "Hispanic" is not a race. It's not an option in the race question in the census. It's an ethnicity question. And the census says you're Hispanic if you say you are.

The Pew Hispanic Center in Washington works the same way. "If you self-identify as Hispanic," associate director Mark Hugo Lopez said Tuesday, "we identify you as Hispanic."

George Zimmerman has a white father and a Hispanic mother. He calls himself Hispanic on his driver's license. He calls himself Hispanic on his voter registration card. He married a white woman.
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #424 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »

From the 2010 census questionaire:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf

Challapalca him!
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #425 on: April 12, 2012, 01:41:30 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/11/opinion/hostin-trayvon-martin-jury/index.html

Three witnesses saw Zimmerman straddling Martin in the grass. The incident happens 70 yards from the home Martin was walking to, not near Zimmerman's SUV. Martin is found dead, laying on his stomach. Zimmerman is bleeding from his nose and the back of his head and has stains on the back of his jacket. Zimmerman isn't tested for drug or alcohol consumption and is allowed to leave the police station with the clothes he was wearing that night.

70 yards from Trayvon's father's fiancee's house.......

Why did Trayvon's family not know about a shooting occurring less than a football field's length away from their home?

When did Trayvon's family report him missing?  When did they notice he didn't return from the store and when did they become concerned enough to search for him?  Did they talk to the neighbors at all?

Why did Trayvon lie in the morgue for 3 days unclaimed (as reported)?

Something doesn't seem to add up!

Challapalca him!
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #426 on: April 12, 2012, 06:59:57 AM »

What if Zimmerman's story isn't credible? Even then, a conviction is going to be hard to obtain. That's because there are apparently conflicting accounts of witnesses about who was on top in the struggle. That one fact may be enough for Zimmerman. The conflicting accounts make it more likely that a jury will find that prosecutors haven't proven their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Which eyewitness accounts are believed may depend on the recording of cries of help -- and on whether the judge allowed experts to testify about whose voice, Martin or Zimmerman's, is heard screaming.

The Stand Your Ground law won't likely offer Zimmerman much of a defense in this case, but nevertheless may still be relevant. In particular, the law offers Zimmerman the possibility of avoiding a trial. The real impact of Stand Your Ground laws is not in their expansion of the right of self-defense to the public streets -- many states, including my own liberal state of California, have allowed people to stand their ground for decades. The innovation of Stand Your Ground laws is to establish procedures to reduce the likelihood that a person who kills in self-defense ever has to stand trial.

Traditionally, one claiming self-defense would have the opportunity to raise that defense at trial before a jury. In Florida, however, the Stand Your Ground law gives defendants like Zimmerman the right to a pre-trial hearing to challenge his indictment. At this special pre-trial hearing, which will occur long before any jury trial, Zimmerman will have the opportunity to present evidence to a judge showing he acted in self-defense. If he can show that he was acting in self-defense by a "preponderance of the evidence" -- legalese for "it's more likely than not" -- then the charges against him will be dropped and he'll never face a jury. That burden of proof is not very demanding and requires a showing far less demanding than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" test used in criminal trials ordinarily.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/will-george-zimmerman-be_b_1419030.html
imo a jury will probably be afraid not to convict. Its sad that the evidence may end up proving otherwise but i think thats what will happen. This case has become a race war imo.
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #427 on: April 12, 2012, 07:07:53 AM »

I can't seem to find anything about Trayvon Martin, was he ever in trouble? was he a good kid anyone know

He was suspended from school.  Something about Marijuana.  Not an angel, IMO. 

Kid’s would drink Vanilla extract for a high, in the 1940’s.
Can you imagine getting frisked for empty bottle of Vanilla extract? 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/george-zimmerman-trademark-filing-561243

April 10, 2012 Businessman Seeks George Zimmerman Trademarks For Beer Mugs, Bumper Stickers, Aloha Shirts

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #429 on: April 12, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »

GZ will not get a fair trial IMO...citizens will not want to serve on the jury for fear of backlash to them...otherwise GZ will be executed in jail...

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #430 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:22 AM »

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1613

Good comments & Links.  IMO

::justice2NJ::

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #431 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »

I can't seem to find anything about Trayvon Martin, was he ever in trouble? was he a good kid anyone know

Vanilla extract wasn't & isn't an illegal substance, where marijuana is.   There's a big difference between the two, aren't there?  And most 17 year olds know they can get in trouble having pot or them, sometimes even just a bit.  So no, I don't believe that's really a good comparison. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #432 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »

Trayvon Martin’s mother Sybrina Fulton told the TODAY show Thursday that she believes her son’s fatal shooting by George Zimmerman was an accident.

“I believe it was an accident, I believe that it just got out of control and he couldn’t turn the clock back," she said. "I would ask him, 'Did he know that that was a minor, that that was a teenager and that he did not have a weapon?'” she added.  ::snipping2::

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/12/11159111-trayvon-martins-mom-says-she-thinks-his-killing-was-an-accident?lite
Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »

Vanilla extract wasn't & isn't an illegal substance, where marijuana is.   There's a big difference between the two, aren't there?  And most 17 year olds know they can get in trouble having pot or them, sometimes even just a bit.  So no, I don't believe that's really a good comparison. 

I bought a kit to make my own Vanilla extract, it gave me a one whole Vanilla bean a nice bottle then it say to fill with Vodka
I just never knew that was what they used.. I didn't make it..

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »

I bought a kit to make my own Vanilla extract, it gave me a one whole Vanilla bean a nice bottle then it say to fill with Vodka
I just never knew that was what they used.. I didn't make it..

Homemade Vanilla extract is wonderful!    But the thing I was pointing out here is the possible drug involvement   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #435 on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »

Using Norml's website    http://norml.org/laws/penalties/item/florida-penalties
Mandatory Minimum Sentences:

Offense    Penalty    Incarceration      Max. Fine  
Possession

20 grams or less    misdemeanor    1 year    $ 1,000
More than 20 grams    felony    5 years    $ 5,000
25 plants    felony    15 years    $ 10,000
Sale
20 grams or less without remuneration    misdemeanor    1 year    $ 10,000
25 lbs or less    felony    5 years    $ 5,000
25 - 2000 lbs (or 300-2,000 plants)    felony    3* - 15 years    $ 25,000
2000 - 10,000 lbs (or 2000-10,000 plants)    felony    7* - 30 years    $ 50,000
10,000 lbs or more    felony    15* - 30 years    $ 200,000
Within 1000 feet of a school, college, park, or other specified areas    felony    15 years    $ 10,000
* Mandatory minimum sentence
Paraphernalia
Possession of paraphernalia    misdemeanor    15 years    $ 1,000
Miscellaneous
Conviction causes a driver’s license suspension for a period of 2 years
Penalty Details
Possession

Possession of 20 grams or less is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $1,000.

Possession of more than 20 grams is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 5 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $5,000.

Possession of 25 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 15 years in jail and a fine of $10,000.

Please see:

Florida Criminal Code 893.13 Web Search
    Florida Criminal Code § 893.03(c)(35) Web Search
    Florida Criminal Code § 893.13 Web Search
    Florida Criminal Code § 775.082(a) Web Search

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #436 on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

Mike Tyson on George Zimmerman: ‘It’s a disgrace he hasn’t been shot yet’

::snipping2::  "My personal feeling is that, as a young kid that was beat on by a bully, that was pretty much singled out—the guy [Zimmerman] stalked him, didn't follow instructions from a superior officer, when they said, 'Stop following the kid.' That tells you everything right there. But my all-around perspective, I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. But it's just so widespread and overt what happened. Even though this is the best country in the world, certain laws in this country are a disgrace to a nation of savages. It's a majority versus a minority. That's the way God planned it. He didn't want to do something about it, He wanted us to do something about it. And if we don't, it's gonna stay this way. We have to continue tweeting, we have to continue marching, we have to continue fighting for Trayvon Martin. If that's not the case, he was killed in vain, and we're just waiting for it to happen to our children. He'll have gotten away with impunity. It's a disgrace that man hasn't been dragged out of his house and tied to a car and taken away. That's the only kind of retribution that people like that understand. It's a disgrace that man hasn't been shot yet. Forget about him being arrested--the fact that he hasn't been shot yet is a disgrace. That's how I feel personally about it."   ::snipping2:: 

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mike-tyson-trayvon-martin-case-disgrace-george-zimmerman-221115400.html
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

::snipping2::  "My personal feeling is that, as a young kid that was beat on by a bully, that was pretty much singled out—the guy [Zimmerman] stalked him, didn't follow instructions from a superior officer, when they said, 'Stop following the kid.' That tells you everything right there. But my all-around perspective, I wasn't there, I don't know what happened. But it's just so widespread and overt what happened. Even though this is the best country in the world, certain laws in this country are a disgrace to a nation of savages. It's a majority versus a minority. That's the way God planned it. He didn't want to do something about it, He wanted us to do something about it. And if we don't, it's gonna stay this way. We have to continue tweeting, we have to continue marching, we have to continue fighting for Trayvon Martin. If that's not the case, he was killed in vain, and we're just waiting for it to happen to our children. He'll have gotten away with impunity. It's a disgrace that man hasn't been dragged out of his house and tied to a car and taken away. That's the only kind of retribution that people like that understand. It's a disgrace that man hasn't been shot yet. Forget about him being arrested--the fact that he hasn't been shot yet is a disgrace. That's how I feel personally about it."   ::snipping2:: 

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mike-tyson-trayvon-martin-case-disgrace-george-zimmerman-221115400.html

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/12/justice/florida-teen-shooting/?hpt=ju_c2
George Zimmerman's attorney to ask for bail
By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
April 12, 2012

(CNN) -- The attorney for George Zimmerman plans to ask a judge as early as Thursday to allow the neighborhood watch volunteer charged with killing an unarmed, black teen to post bond -- though he believes it will be difficult.

"My hope is that the judge will grant a bond, and that it'll be a bond that the family can make," attorney Mark O'Mara said Wednesday. "They are not a family of means."

Also, if a judge requires Zimmerman to remain in the area if he is granted bail, that will be difficult, O'Mara added.

"I think nobody would deny the fact if George Zimmerman is walking down the street today, he would be at risk," he explained.

However, O'Mara said Thursday he is "truly hoping that there will be a receding of the frustrations or anger now that the process is moving forward."
He will make an initial court appearance Thursday before Judge Mark Herr.
O'Mara said Zimmerman, who will plead not guilty, is worried about getting a fair trial in Sanford -- where thousands have converged to join in protests calling for his arrest and decrying the police department's handling of the case.

However, the attorney said Thursday he does not share those concerns.

"Florida has a very good process in place to make sure we get a fair and impartial jury," he told CNN. "Other high-profile cases have been able to do so. I trust that the system, the judge, the prosecutor and I will be able to, should the need arise, to get ourselves a fair and impartial jury to hear the case. It may not be in Seminole County."

He said that while he isn't sure the bond request will be heard Thursday, he needs Zimmerman out of jail to help assist in his defense.
Why second-degree murder

The special prosecutor assigned to the case announced the charge against Zimmerman Wednesday -- 46 days after the shooting.

During that time, the calls for "Justice for Trayvon" had grown louder and louder, with Martin's supporters taking to the streets in cities across the nation and on the Internet.

Prosecutor Angela Corey said whether the case is decided by a judge or jury, "I can assure they will only get the relevant, admissible evidence on which they can then base their decisions."

"Let me emphasize that we do not prosecute by pressure or petition. We prosecute cases based on the relevant fact of each case and on the laws of the state of Florida," said Corey, who has a reputation for taking on tough, controversial cases in the three counties that make up the 4th Judicial Circuit.

Prosecutors usually level a second-degree murder charge when they accuse someone of a killing that is not premeditated or planned. It carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

In severity, the charge falls between first-degree -- when a person is accused of killing someone deliberately -- and manslaughter, when an act results in an unintended death.

"I did think that was certainly the highest charge I ever thought they would charge," O'Mara said. "It seemed like it might be manslaughter, but ... I don't want to prejudge something when I know nothing about the facts. I would rather that come out the way it's supposed to."
Jurors, however, will have several options under Florida law, including aggravating factors such as Martin's status as a child, since he was under 18, or other variations of manslaughter, Jackson said.
Zimmerman was alone Wednesday when he turned himself in to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's office in Jacksonville, said department spokeswoman Joyce Dawley.

O'Mara said Thursday he spoke to Zimmerman by telephone several times during the day Wednesday and spent about an hour with his client Wednesday night.

"He is stressed. He's tired. He's been through a lot with the way this case has been handled to date," he said of Zimmerman.

"I'm just hoping that his mental health stays well and we can move forward with getting the case figured out."

George Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr., told CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" that the family was "devastated" by the development.

"There were no winners in this already," the brother said.
O'Mara asked there be no rush to judgment.

"Nobody, after all, wanted Trayvon Martin to be pre-judged as he was walking down that street," he said. "I ask you not to pre-judge George Zimmerman, and please do not pre-judge the criminal justice system. It's going to work. We just need to let it work."

O'Mara told CNN and sister network HLN on Thursday he expects it will take at least six months, and possibly as long as a year, before the trial is held. But, he said, that's speculation, since he hasn't had an opportunity to review evidence in the case yet.
Meanwhile, Attorney General Eric Holder pledged Wednesday that the Justice Department, which is running a concurrent investigation launched three weeks ago, will "conduct a thorough and independent review of the evidence."
Zahra Umansky, an attorney who represented Zimmerman on 2005 charges of assaulting an officer and resisting arrest after an incident in a local bar -- charges which were later dismissed -- recalled he was actively involved in his defense, more so than other youths at that age might be. "He was very concerned," she said.

kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

all u have to do is look at the source on that one. Savages? Maybe gz should have just bitten his ear off? Mike tyson is a disgrace to humanity. He should just stay in his hole & stfu.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.