March 28, 2024, 10:14:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390595 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-12/news/os-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-charged-jail-20120412_1_face-murder-charges-today-show-accident
George Zimmerman first appearance ends, judge agrees to seal witness information
April 12, 2012

George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer arrested yesterday in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, faced a judge for the first time minutes ago.

Zimmerman's first appearance began just after 1:30 p.m. He faces a second-degree murder charge in the Feb. 26 shooting, which sparked international outcry.

Zimmerman appeared in a blue jumpsuit and handcuffs. He was joined by his new attorney, Mark O'Mara. A first-appearance judge found probable cause for the murder charge.

The judge set Zimmerman's next court date for May 29 at 1:30 p.m. Zimmerman spoke only once during the hearing, responding "yes sir" to a question.

After Zimmerman exited, O'Mara asked the judge to seal documents in the court file containing other information -- including witness statements and information -- in the case.

"I am seeking on my clients behalf... that we do a complete sealing of that record," O'Mara said, adding that the sealing would be temporary. The judge agreed.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

Casey Anthony’s lawyer: George Zimmerman’s a victim of prosecutor's ‘political prostitution’

Cheney Mason, the freewheeling criminal defense attorney who successfully defended tot mom Casey Anthony, is shaking his head over the second-degree murder charge against George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

The charge leveled by prosecutor Angela Corey is too severe and reeks of political calculus, Mason said.

“It’s political prostitution,” Mason said. “Now I don’t have all the facts – no one does – but you look at what we know of the case and it looks like the prosecutor bowed to other pressures.

“The fact is there is lots of racial bigotry in this case,” Mason said. “And a lot of it is coming from the side of Trayvon Martin’s family. I can understand why his family is upset. They lost a child. But they weren’t at the crime scene. None of us was.”  ::snipping2:: 

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/04/casey-anthonys-lawyer-george-zimmermans-a-victim-of-prosecutors-political-prostitution.html#storylink=cpy

for once I agree with Cheney Mason and I can't believe I'm saying that.  I feel like I need to go wash my hands after typing that.  I think the prosecutor over charged in this case.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20120412ag_martha_coakley_everyone_is_pleased_charges_brought_in_trayvon_martin_case/srvc=home&position=recent
AG Martha Coakley: ‘Everyone is pleased’ charges brought in Trayvon Martin case
By Matt Murphy / State House News Service
April 12, 2012

Attorney General Martha Coakley, the state’s top prosecutor, said Thursday she agreed with the decision by a Florida special prosecutor to bring charges against the man responsible for killing Florida teen Trayvon Martin.

But when asked if she would ever ask the residents of Massachusetts to pray for her to win a conviction – as Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey did Wednesday - she chalked it up to Florida being Florida.

Braude took exception to Corey asking during a press conference that people in Florida continue to pray for Martin’s family and her prosecutorial team, and asked Coakley if she would ever ask to people to pray for a prosecutor.

“I wouldn’t do it. It’s is Florida after all, so you have to account for the Florida,” Coakley said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

Casey Anthony’s lawyer: George Zimmerman’s a victim of prosecutor's ‘political prostitution’

Cheney Mason, the freewheeling criminal defense attorney who successfully defended tot mom Casey Anthony, is shaking his head over the second-degree murder charge against George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

The charge leveled by prosecutor Angela Corey is too severe and reeks of political calculus, Mason said.

“It’s political prostitution,” Mason said. “Now I don’t have all the facts – no one does – but you look at what we know of the case and it looks like the prosecutor bowed to other pressures.

“The fact is there is lots of racial bigotry in this case,” Mason said. “And a lot of it is coming from the side of Trayvon Martin’s family. I can understand why his family is upset. They lost a child. But they weren’t at the crime scene. None of us was.”  ::snipping2:: 

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/04/casey-anthonys-lawyer-george-zimmermans-a-victim-of-prosecutors-political-prostitution.html#storylink=cpy

for once I agree with Cheney Mason and I can't believe I'm saying that.  I feel like I need to go wash my hands after typing that.  I think the prosecutor over charged in this case.

I know exactly what you mean.   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »

After reading this, I believe Sybrina Fulton is being strongly coached, to say the least. Will this mean the end of live interviews by Ms. Fulton?  IMO, this wasn't a slip of words at all.  This is changing stories and anytime stories start changing, it brings a lot of questions.  JMHO

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/12/11159111-update-trayvon-martins-mom-retracts-accident-characterization-says-zimmerman-killed-him-in-cold-blood?lite
Update: Trayvon Martin's mom retracts 'accident' characterization, says Zimmerman killed him in 'cold blood'
April 12, 2012

Updated at 1:15 p.m. ET: Trayvon Martin's mother retracted her comments that she believes her son's fatal shooting by George Zimmerman was an accident, telling MSNBC-TV on Thursday afternoon that she actually believes "George Zimmerman stalked my son and murdered him in cold blood."

In an interview Thursday morning on NBC's TODAY show, Sybrina Fulton had said: "I believe it was an accident. I believe that it just got out of control and he couldn't turn the clock back."

After Fulton's remarks drew widespread media attention, Ryan Julison, a spokesman for the Martin family, emailed a statement to MSNBC TV saying her comments had been "mischaracterized."

"When I referenced the word 'accident' today with regard to Trayvon's death, in NO way did I mean the shooting was an accident," Fulton said.

"My son was profiled, followed and murdered by George Zimmerman, and there was nothing accidental about that," she said, clarifying that the "accident" was that Martin and Zimmerman ever crossed paths.

Here's the full statement:
(see at link)
Video at Link

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

On InSession banner....O'Mara: we looked at the facts of the charges and decided not to ask for a bond hearing at this time. (Not verbatim, sorry)

Interesting......

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »

On InSession banner....O'Mara: we looked at the facts of the charges and decided not to ask for a bond hearing at this time. (Not verbatim, sorry)

Interesting......

I saw something about that in this article:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-12/news/os-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-charged-jail-20120412_1_face-murder-charges-today-show-accident
George Zimmerman court affidavit: 'Zimmerman confronted Martin'
April 12, 2012

O'Mara said it made more sense to forgo a bond hearing at this point, electing to give time to allow the fervor surrounding the case to die down. He said his client is in protective custody.

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer arrested yesterday in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, faced a judge for the first time this afternoon.

Meanwhile, a probable cause affidavit has been filed in the second-degree murder case. In the two-page document, prosecutors offer little new information about the shooting.

However, they said in the affidavit that "Zimmerman confronted Martin," an apparent contradiction of Zimmerman's version of the events that led to the shooting.

The document says Trayvon's mother identified the screams for help heard in a 911 call as those of her son. It also reveals that investigators interviewed Trayvon's girlfriend, who has said she was on the phone with him in the leadup to the shooting.   ::snipping2:: 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/os-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-charged-jail-20120412,0,1357318.story
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »

Interesting......

April 12, 2012

O'Mara said it made more sense to forgo a bond hearing at this point, electing to give time to allow the fervor surrounding the case to die down. He said his client is in protective custody.
Ummm.....I don't buy that.  O'Mara said today that if/once bonded, GZ would be protected, so why the delay?  People wanted this case to be fully investigated, it was, and charges were brought against GZ.  Everything from this point forward is now where it should be and the public needs to wait and watch it unfold at trial.  And, I hope they seal every bit of discovery.  Can't believe I'm saying that, but in this case, I think it needs to be done.

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »

Interesting......

April 12, 2012

Ummm.....I don't buy that.  O'Mara said today that if/once bonded, GZ would be protected, so why the delay?  People wanted this case to be fully investigated, it was, and charges were brought against GZ.  Everything from this point forward is now where it should be and the public needs to wait and watch it unfold at trial.  And, I hope they seal every bit of discovery.  Can't believe I'm saying that, but in this case, I think it needs to be done.
Correction....I do know that this case is still under investigation, don't know why I said it was fully investigated.

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »

George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer arrested yesterday in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, faced a judge for the first time this afternoon.

Meanwhile, a probable cause affidavit has been filed in the second-degree murder case. In the two-page document, prosecutors offer little new information about the shooting.

However, they said in the affidavit that "Zimmerman confronted Martin," an apparent contradiction of Zimmerman's version of the events that led to the shooting.

The document says Trayvon's mother identified the screams for help heard in a 911 call as those of her son. It also reveals that investigators interviewed a "friend" of Trayvon's who was talking to him in the leadup to the shooting.

Based on the description, it appears the friend was the girl described by Martin family attorneys as his girlfriend.

"During this time, Martin was on the phone with a friend and described to her what was happening," the affidavit said. "The witness advised that Martin was scared because he was being followed through the complex by an unknown male and didn't know why."

Martin tried to run home, the affidavit says, but was followed by Zimmerman. "Zimmerman got out of his vehicle and followed Martin."

The affidavit goes on to say that "Zimmerman disregarded the police dispatcher" who told him to stop, and "continued to follow Martin who was trying to return to his home."

Zimmerman, the affidavit says, "confronted Martin and a struggle ensued."   ::snipping2:: 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47031841

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2012, 03:02:16 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-12/zimmerman-arraignment-set-for-may-29-in-florida-shooting.html
Zimmerman Arraignment Set for May 29 in Florida Shooting
April 12, 2012
Zimmerman, 28, charged yesterday, appeared today before Judge Mark Herr via teleconference for the alleged murder of Martin, 17. Handcuffed and wearing a dark-colored jumpsuit, Zimmerman said only “yes sir” to acknowledge his representation by lawyer Mark O’Mara during the five-minute hearing. The judge found sufficient evidence to support the charges, clearing the way to send the case to a trial court.
While Zimmerman or his lawyers may enter a not guilty plea at the May 29 hearing before a circuit court judge, O’Mara may seek a separate hearing on bail beforehand. Zimmerman is being held in custody and faces as long as life in prison if convicted.
Under Florida law, the purpose of the initial hearing was to insure Zimmerman was informed of his rights and represented by counsel. Judges also are supposed to decide if there’s reason to hold an arrested suspect until a bail hearing can be held.

At the request of Zimmerman’s attorney, the judge ordered the case file sealed except for the probable cause affidavit.

“There is a certain amount of information in the court file that includes personal information about some witnesses, addresses, telephone numbers,” O’Mara said. “There is even some information about Trayvon Martin.”

State Attorney Angela Corey, who was present for the hearing, concurred with his request to seal the file.

Zimmerman stood in front of the microphone as the judge asked him if he understood that he was at a first appearance hearing and he said that he did.

“Yes sir,” Zimmerman said.

The case is State of Florida v. Zimmerman, 1712FO4573, Circuit Court of the 18th Judicial Circuit (Seminole County).

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

From MNJ on InSession.... GZ contacted his office and asked MNJ to represent him.  Due to family obligations and work, MNJ declined.  He then spoke with GZ and game him a list of 5 attorneys he thought would do a great job for GZ. GZ researched the list, called MNJ back with questions and ended up choosing O'Mara.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »

Trayvon's mother IS being coached. I know what I heard this morning right out of her mouth as I posted previously...she is back tracking now...

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »

From MNJ on InSession.... GZ contacted his office and asked MNJ to represent him.  Due to family obligations and work, MNJ declined.  He then spoke with GZ and game him a list of 5 attorneys he thought would do a great job for GZ. GZ researched the list, called MNJ back with questions and ended up choosing O'Mara.

Watched that too.

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

I find it a bit odd that the affidavit has been published, in view of this:
After Zimmerman exited, O'Mara asked the judge to seal documents in the court file containing other information -- including witness statements and information.
"I am seeking on my clients behalf... that we do a complete sealing of that record," O'Mara said, adding that the sealing would be temporary. The judge agreed.
Wasn't the affidavit -- which presumably presents the prosecution's best possible case -- one of the sealed documents?

post from   http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2871270/posts

I, too was wondering about this.
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #476 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

based on what we know so far, and that's not too much given the media spin and everything, i wouldn't be able to find him guilty of anything higher than manslaughter.  I just have a feeling like so many others have said that this is going to turn into a huge race war, worst than it already has.  I would hate to be on that jury. I hope they don't feel pressured to convict becuase of fear of the black panthers, al sharpton, jesse jackson and company.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #477 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

No. The Judge and the Defense Atty both acknowledged this particular document, since it is what he used to reach reasonable cause, is always made public. The Defense Atty agreed.

post from  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2871270/posts

well, that answers that question....
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #478 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »

Agree Sunshine...

I just heard on HLN that George's attorney is working pro bono

Sybrina Fulton is a fibber Magee...nancy grace is over the top on this case..I can't stand to watch her when she is covering this case...drama crying queen.  IMO

jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »

So much hatred and bigotry!

Whatever the outcome, it will prove to be more devisive, not healing.

Challapalca him!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.