March 28, 2024, 05:57:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390571 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #540 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/13/11182597-hearing-raises-possible-conflict-for-judge-in-trayvon-martin-shooting-case?lite
Hearing raises possible conflict for judge in Trayvon Martin shooting case
April 13, 2012

A status hearing Friday in the case of George Zimmerman, the Florida man charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, focused on the possibility of replacing the judge because of a possible conflict of interest.

Seminole County Circuit Judge Jessica J. Recksiedler disclosed that her husband, an attorney who works civil cases, works in the same firm as Mark NeJame, a criminal lawyer who had been previously contacted by Zimmerman for counsel.
NeJame did not take Zimmerman as a client, but he now a contract with CNN to provide analysis on the case.

Zimmerman's attorney Mark O’Mara raised concerns that Recksiedler’s role as a judge — tangentially connected to NeJame as a media analyst could be problematic, especially in a case that he noted will come under “intense scrutiny” over coming months by the press and activists.

O’Mara can file to disqualify Recksiedler, the judge said, but she asked him to make the request prior to the scheduled bail hearing set for next Friday if he decides to do so.

Recksiedler is a former assistant state attorney from Sanford who was elected to the bench in 2010. Arraignment is scheduled for May 29.

Zimmerman did not appear for Friday's hearings. Prosecuting and defense attorneys spoke to the judge via speakerphone.
 ::snipping2::

Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #541 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »

Hi Monks...I was certain I would find a thread about this....interesting reading.  Y'all be good and don't take the rumors as fact !!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #542 on: April 13, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Miz Bee

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #543 on: April 13, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »

Hi Monks...I was certain I would find a thread about this....interesting reading.  Y'all be good and don't take the rumors as fact !!

Notice my sig line   " Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #544 on: April 13, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »

Miz Bee

Hey there Miz Sunny!   sunny  It's good to see you!! 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #545 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/judge-says-she-may-have-conflict-in-zimmerman-case-1.3659205
Judge says she may have conflict in Zimmerman case
April 13, 2012

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #546 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »

George Zimmerman & His Family Trying Raise Money For Bail Hearing

George Zimmerman and his family are desperately trying to raise money for his bail hearing in connection with the second-degree murder charge for killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, RadarOnline.com is exclusively reporting.

The 28-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer could face life in prison and be hit with up to $10,000 in fines for the shooting death of the teen from Sanford, Florida that has caused outrage across the country since.

Zimmerman appeared in court on Thursday, and the judge set his arraignment for May 29, and a bail hearing has been set for April 20.

Zimmerman's father and extended family "are desperately trying to raise money for his bail hearing. This is why his attorney Mark O'Mara didn't ask for the hearing yesterday, they need time to get the money," a source close to the situation tells us.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/04/george-zimmerman-family-raising-bail-money-hearing

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #547 on: April 13, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »

Hi Monks...I was certain I would find a thread about this....interesting reading.  Y'all be good and don't take the rumors as fact !!

Notice my sig line   " Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan

Good one Miz Bee....I have been interested in this case because of the rumors and seemingly lack of facts.....it will be interested to see how it compares to the CA mess......  hopefully some lessons have been learned.  What do you think of the charge of second degree murder??

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #548 on: April 13, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/judge-says-she-may-have-conflict-in-zimmerman-case-1.3659205
April 13, 2012

I was really surprised when I heard the name of the Judge as I knew one of Mark Nejames partners had the same last name. Then to find out she is the wife of MN's partner...WOW...small world. I am going to ask MN is this also poses a conflict with him as a commentator....

Rest in Peace Caylee

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #549 on: April 13, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »

Is there a reason why this judge is being asked to step down?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »

Is there a reason why this judge is being asked to step down?

It has to do with conflict of interest.  The judge could recuse herself also.
Insert Quote
April 13, 2012

Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler said during a brief hearing in Sanford, Fla., that her husband works with an attorney who referred Zimmerman to his current defense attorney. Zimmerman's family originally had asked that attorney, Mark NeJame, to represent Zimmerman but NeJame instead referred them to lawyer Mark O'Mara.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #551 on: April 13, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Prosecutors-Zimmerman-did-not-use-racial-slur-3480073.php
Prosecutors: Zimmerman did not use racial slur
MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press
April 13, 2012

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Despite what some people think they heard, prosecutors say George Zimmerman did not utter a racial slur in his call to 911 on the night he shot Trayvon Martin.

The disputed words on the recording turned out to be "these f------ punks," prosecutors said in an affidavit filed Thursday in support of the murder charges brought against the neighborhood watch volunteer in the Feb. 26 slaying of the unarmed black teenager.

In yet another passage in the affidavit that caught the attention of those watching the racially charged case, prosecutors said Zimmerman "profiled" Martin just before the shooting. The document did not elaborate, and a spokeswoman for special prosecutor Angela Corey on Friday refused to explain it.

But legal experts warned that "profiling" does not necessarily mean "racial profiling." ''Profiling" is a common law enforcement practice of using a set of facts and circumstances to determine whether someone may be committing a crime. Police typically look at a person's behavior and appearance, as well as other factors.

In the Martin case, Zimmerman told a police dispatcher: "This guy looks like he is up to no good. He is on drugs or something." Zimmerman reported that the teenager had his hand in his waistband and was walking around, looking at homes in the gated community in Sanford, which had had several break-ins in the past year.
After the release of the 911 recording in mid-March, the belief that Zimmerman muttered a racial slur fed suspicions that the killing was racially motivated and stoked demands that the U.S. Justice Department bring civil rights charges. News organizations used audio technology to enhance the 911 call and try to figure out what he said.

Prosecutors did not explain how they reached their conclusion. But Harry Shorstein, who was Corey's predecessor as state attorney in Jacksonville, said her team probably relied on audio enhancing from the FBI or the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Shorstein called such enhancing "an indefinite science." But Coffey said the fact that Corey inserted the exchange in the affidavit reflects her team's confidence that Zimmerman used the word "punks" and not the slur.
egal experts cautioned that the affidavit, the full text of which is available at http://apne.ws/Itn7Nu , is just a rough sketch of the prosecution's case and does not contain all the evidence. But Coffey said he did not see enough in the affidavit for the Justice Department to make a hate-crime case stick.

Nevertheless, Florida defense attorney Randy McClean said Zimmerman's use of the word "punks" and his profanity in describing Martin may help Florida prosecutors make the case that Zimmerman was the aggressor.

"It begs the question of who was the most likely aggressor," McClean said. "A teenager walking home ... or the person who believes the teenager he is observing is a 'f------ punk,' an 'ass----,' and getting away with something."

U.S. Justice Department spokeswoman Xochitl Hinojosa said the department is conducting its own, separate investigation, and she refused to comment on the special prosecutor's findings

"When we see the word 'punks' and we connect that to the word 'profile,' I don't think that is compelling proof that it's racial profiling," said Kendall Coffey, a former U.S. attorney in Miami who is now in private practice. "This guy appeared to Zimmerman to meet the profile of a criminal."

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #552 on: April 13, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

Martin Case Affidavit

I strongly disagree with David French’s analysis. I’m inclined, instead, to agree with commentators ranging from former Reagan Justice Department official Mark Levin to Harvard’s Alan Dershowitz that the affidavit is stunningly weak — “unethical,” as Prof. Dershowitz puts it. In fact, I go further (which, after nearly 20 years of writing and supervising the writing of complaint affidavits, I think I’m qualified to do). This affidavit is not law, it is agitprop: invoking, for example, the explosive term “profiled” but carefully avoiding any discussion of what it means and failing to note that (a) there is no evidence of racial profiling, and (b) absent an invidious racial component there is nothing wrong with profiling (indeed, we want police to do it so that innocent people don’t get hassled).

A few points:

1. David makes much of the fact that Zimmerman may have continued to follow Martin despite a dispatcher’s admonition to the contrary. But a citizen engaged in innocent behavior (including investigating a potential crime) is not required to heed a dispatcher’s advice. If Martin had disregarded the direction of a police officer on the scene, that might be different. But no one is required to act on a dispatcher’s direction, even if it would be prudent to do so. Bad judgment is not a crime.

2. David observes that we haven’t been informed of Zimmerman’s statements to the police and then oddly suggests that this is a fact in the prosecutor’s favor. There are ambiguities in the complaint that more information could have cleared up. The prosecutor has more information. Yet, she chose to leave matters ambiguous. That strongly suggests the additional information would hurt the prosecution’s case — a suggestion that is bolstered by the affidavit’s self-serving omission of any mention of Zimmerman’s injuries (and, for that matter, by the fact that the prosecutor chose not to submit the case to a grand jury but, instead, unilaterally decided to charge base on ambiguous allegations).   ::snipping2:: 

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295997/martin-case-affidavit-andrew-c-mccarthy
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #553 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »

Ole Miss law professor reacts to Zimmerman charge

OXFORD, MS -
(WMC-TV) - An Ole Miss Law Professor says the public needs to wait for all the facts before making judgments in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

After watching Reverend Kia Grandberry live on Action News 5 Thursday morning, Ole Miss law professor Samuel Davis was irritated with one of her comments about George Zimmerman.

Davis said it is those types of remarks that are plaguing the case.

"Now that he's [Zimmerman] been arrested, we want a conviction," Grandberry said on Action News 5 Thursday morning.

"That's what bothered me," Davis said.

Take one look around Samuel Davis' office and you can see his passion for justice. Law books line his shelves and his desk is covered in bobble heads of past and current Supreme Court Justices.

In this case, Davis worries that justice may be taking a backseat.

"That's what bothers me about this case that there seems to be a rush to judgment," Davis said  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.wmctv.com/story/17402504/ole-miss-law-professor-reacts-to-zimmerman-charge
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #554 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »

Martin Case Affidavit

I strongly disagree with David French’s analysis. I’m inclined, instead, to agree with commentators ranging from former Reagan Justice Department official Mark Levin to Harvard’s Alan Dershowitz that the affidavit is stunningly weak — “unethical,” as Prof. Dershowitz puts it. In fact, I go further (which, after nearly 20 years of writing and supervising the writing of complaint affidavits, I think I’m qualified to do). This affidavit is not law, it is agitprop: invoking, for example, the explosive term “profiled” but carefully avoiding any discussion of what it means and failing to note that (a) there is no evidence of racial profiling, and (b) absent an invidious racial component there is nothing wrong with profiling (indeed, we want police to do it so that innocent people don’t get hassled).

A few points:

1. David makes much of the fact that Zimmerman may have continued to follow Martin despite a dispatcher’s admonition to the contrary. But a citizen engaged in innocent behavior (including investigating a potential crime) is not required to heed a dispatcher’s advice. If Martin had disregarded the direction of a police officer on the scene, that might be different. But no one is required to act on a dispatcher’s direction, even if it would be prudent to do so. Bad judgment is not a crime.

2. David observes that we haven’t been informed of Zimmerman’s statements to the police and then oddly suggests that this is a fact in the prosecutor’s favor. There are ambiguities in the complaint that more information could have cleared up. The prosecutor has more information. Yet, she chose to leave matters ambiguous. That strongly suggests the additional information would hurt the prosecution’s case — a suggestion that is bolstered by the affidavit’s self-serving omission of any mention of Zimmerman’s injuries (and, for that matter, by the fact that the prosecutor chose not to submit the case to a grand jury but, instead, unilaterally decided to charge base on ambiguous allegations).   ::snipping2:: 

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295997/martin-case-affidavit-andrew-c-mccarthy

I have to disagree with his assessment of the bolded... If George profiled Trayvon as a criminal, and if he then followed Trayvon even when told not to, especially knowing from George's own words that he is at his wits end with these criminals in his neighborhood, then we have motive.  We all know motive is necessary for a murder conviction.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #555 on: April 13, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »

Trayvon Martin case a trial by fire for rookie Sanford mayor

Gun Nation: Inside America's gun-carry culture

Triplett was with his two young sons in Tampa, Fla., watching them play football, when he first heard the name of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

“My phone just starts blowing up,” he says in an interview. Upon hearing that George Zimmerman wasn't arrested after shooting Trayvon, Triplett put his head in his hands in disbelief.

“What do you mean you didn’t arrest him?” he remembers thinking. “I don’t get it. I don’t understand.”

At that moment about a month ago, the harried, crisis-manager version of Triplett, a tall, rail-thin man who wears white dress shirts and unflashy ties, was born. For someone in his first political post, the learning curve was steep. He’d been mayor, a part-time position that pays $9,700 a year, for only about 15 months when Sanford the city became "Sanford the city where Trayvon died."

Since the shooting, Triplett has elected to take the equivalent of three weeks off from his full-time job as senior vice president of a community bank, to help guide Sanford through the maelstrom. His bankers’ hours ballooned into a series of demonstrations, briefing sessions, rallies, and nonstop media requests. Family dinners virtually ceased to exist. When a scheduled vacation rolled around, his wife, Brandi, left with the kids while Triplett remained. While he hasn’t received death threats and says he doesn’t feel unsafe, there have been, as he delicately puts it, a number of “interesting phone calls and e-mails.”

“I never thought that I would be front and center or that the city of Sanford would be front and center on a stage that has such long-ranging ramifications,” says Triplett, in a bass voice that is a hybrid of Southern drawl and southwest Missouri, where he grew up and went to college

Overnight, Triplett became the white mayor of a Southern city where racism and police brutality were allegedly endemic. On one of the Rev. Al Sharpton's many visits to Sanford, the activist compared the town with Selma and Birmingham, epicenters of the civil rights struggle. Ben Jealous, head of the NAACP, referred to the environment as “Jim Crow Esquire.” The New Black Panthers offered a bounty for Zimmerman's capture. A neo-Nazi group said it would patrol city streets. For local officials, all this attention was, well, new.

One of Triplett’s colleagues, City Commissioner Randy Jones, says mayors of Sanford have not traditionally grappled with mega issues such as racial profiling, Florida gun and self-defense laws, or the legacy of race relations in the South.

“We’re supposed to be dealing with rezones, and, do you have too many cats and dogs in your yard, and annexations,” says Mr. Jones. “It’s an absolutely unenviable situation.”

Depending on who is doing the talking, Triplett's response to the growing crisis is either an example of strong leadership under fire or the Machiavellian moves  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47045498/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #556 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »

ZimDecision’ 2012: Jon Stewart Slams Trayvon Martin Media Circus

On Thursday night, Jon Stewart tackled “ZimDecision 2012″ — now that the George Zimmerman case is moving forward. Beginning with Wednesday’s announcement, Stewart moved on to criticizing the good old media. The segment descended into a over-the-top “report.” A sign of the chaotic media frenzy surrounding the trial that awaits us.

Stewart began by playing a clip from special prosecutor Angela Corey’s press conference, in which she announced the charges. He, like many did yesterday, mocked how long it took Corey to get to the actual charges.

He then moved on to the reactions to the second-degree murder charge. You know, from the people who matter the most: the media, of course. The montage ended with Nancy Grace making a “Tot Mom” reference (because Florida, or something).   ::snipping2:: 

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-slams-media-in-mock-zimdecision-2012-segment-covering-zimmerman-trial/
Ono
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #557 on: April 13, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »

Toler --- Appreciate the informative articles.     
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #558 on: April 13, 2012, 11:40:44 PM »

Slideshow at link

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/250579/19/Arrest-records-shine-a-little-light-on-Zimmerman

George Zimmerman arrest records shine a little light
10:26 AM, Apr 13, 2012

(CBS News) -- When George Zimmerman was booked into John E. Polk Correctional Facility in Seminole County, Florida, police took note of his tattoos, including "theatrical masks" on his left arm as well as a "Christina inside a cross" on his chest.

The world knows little about the man who shot and killed unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, on February 26, but arrest and booking records shine a little light there.

In addition to mention of tattoos, the booking records say Zimmerman is "unemployed."

His arrest record states he was taken into custody in Sanford, although not at the location listed as his home address.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #559 on: April 13, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »

Where’s the ‘Probable Cause’?
The affidavit in the Zimmerman case fails to justify a second-degree-murder charge.

The charges brought against George Zimmerman sure look like prosecutorial misconduct. The case as put forward by the prosecutor in the “affidavit of probable cause” is startlingly weak. As a former chief economist at the U.S. Sentencing Commission, I have read a number of such affidavits, and cannot recall one lacking so much relevant information. The prosecutor has most likely deliberately overcharged, hoping to intimidate Zimmerman into agreeing to a plea bargain. If this case goes to trial, Zimmerman will almost definitely be found “not guilty” on the charge of second-degree murder.

The prosecutor wasn’t required to go to the grand jury for the indictment, but the fact that she didn’t in such a high-profile case is troubling. Everyone knows how easy it is for a prosecutor to get a grand jury to indict, because only the prosecutor presents evidence. A grand-jury indictment would have provided political cover; that charges were brought without one means that the prosecutor was worried that a grand jury would not give her the indictment.

The affidavit consists of six main points:

● Zimmerman was upset about all “the break-ins in his neighborhood” and expressed anger at how criminals “always get away.”

● According to a discussion with Trayvon Martin’s girlfriend, who said that she was talking to Martin before the attack, Zimmerman followed Martin. He did so despite the police operator’s saying “we don’t need you to do that.”

● Zimmerman “confronted Martin and a struggle ensued,” though no evidence is cited on this point.

● Trayvon Martin’s mother identified the voice crying for help on a 9-1-1 call as her son’s.

● Zimmerman shot Martin in the chest, and this is confirmed by both Zimmerman’s statement and ballistics tests.

● Martin died from the gunshot wound.

Note some of the points that are missing. The prosecution doesn’t claim Zimmerman had racial animus against blacks. There was no “f***ing coons” on the police call. Some extremely relevant information from the police report is completely excluded: There is no mention of the grass and wetness found on the back of Zimmerman’s shirt, the gashes on the back of his head, the bloody nose, or the other witnesses who saw Martin on top of Zimmerman, beating him, before the shot was fired. There is not even an attempt to say that the police report was in error; instead the affidavit just disregards it.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/295984/where-s-probable-cause-john-r-lott-jr
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.