March 29, 2024, 05:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390754 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #560 on: April 14, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9A-gp8mrdw&feature=player_detailpage

Hope I did this correctly? 

911 call.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #561 on: April 14, 2012, 12:13:54 AM »

http://cnninsession.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/martinpolicreport.pdf

Close to bottom of page most detailed LEO report.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #562 on: April 14, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »

Al Sharpton, power player

The Rev. Al Sharpton is lord of all he surveys.

“Check out this,” the flamboyant civil rights leader told me during breakfast at his organization’s annual meeting this week. He flipped through the program until he found a full-page ad with the logos of Fox News, the New York Post and the Wall Street Journal. “News Corporation Proudly Supports National Action Network’s 2012 Convention,” it said.

Sharpton grinned. “They bash me on Fox News,” he said. “But they sponsor my conference.”

Everybody wants to be on Sharpton’s good side these days. No fewer than five Cabinet officers and a senior White House official went to this year’s convention to kiss his ring. President Obama spoke at last year’s conference and has sought Sharpton’s advice on policy. Sharpton has a show on MSNBC five nights a week, and he doles out airtime to a procession of politicians and journalists (including me).

Wednesday night brought the sweetest moment yet in Sharpton’s long and controversial career: the announcement that Florida authorities would charge Trayvon Martin’s shooter. Sharpton, at the request of the boy’s parents, had done more than anyone else to bring the case national attention.

Just hours before the announcement that George Zimmerman would be charged with second-degree murder, Martin’s parents held a joint news conference with Sharpton — and a few hours before that, Attorney General Eric Holder, also at the convention, praised Sharpton for his “tireless efforts to speak out for the voiceless, to stand up for the powerless.”  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/al-sharptons-second-act-power-player/2012/04/13/gIQAZT4wFT_story.html
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #563 on: April 14, 2012, 12:55:40 AM »

Without slur, what will George Zimmerman's words mean in Trayvon Martin case?

ORLANDO — Despite what some people think they heard, prosecutors say George Zimmerman did not utter a racial slur in his call to 911 on the night he shot Trayvon Martin.

The disputed words on the recording turned out to be "these f------ punks," prosecutors said in an affidavit filed Thursday in support of the second-degree murder charge brought against the neighborhood watch volunteer in the Feb. 26 slaying of the unarmed black teenager.

In yet another passage in the affidavit that caught the attention of those watching the racially charged case, prosecutors said Zimmerman "profiled" Martin just before the shooting. The document did not elaborate, and a spokeswoman for special prosecutor Angela Corey on Friday refused to explain it.

Legal experts warned that "profiling" does not necessarily mean "racial profiling." "Profiling" is a common law enforcement practice of using a set of facts and circumstances to determine whether someone may be committing a crime. Police typically look at a person's behavior and appearance, as well as other factors.

In the Martin case, Zimmerman told a police dispatcher: "This guy looks like he is up to no good. He is on drugs or something." He said the teenager had his hand in his waistband and was walking around, looking at homes in the gated community in Sanford, which had had several break-ins in the past year.

"When we see the word 'punks' and we connect that to the word 'profile,' I don't think that is compelling proof that it's racial profiling," said Kendall Coffey, a former U.S. attorney in Miami who is now in private practice. "This guy appeared to Zimmerman to meet the profile of a criminal."

He added: "Whether you're white, black or Hispanic. You have a hoodie. You're walking around."

Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, said the affidavit supported his contention that race wasn't a factor.  ::snipping2::

http://www.tampabay.com/incoming/without-slur-what-will-george-zimmermans-words-mean-in-trayvon-martin-case/1224957
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #564 on: April 14, 2012, 01:18:28 AM »

Justice for Trayvon
America has heard the calls for justice from a Florida family.

A boy’s blood had been spilled on a rain-soaked patch of grass behind a row of mustard-colored condominiums by a man who had pursued him against the advice of 911 dispatchers. That man carried a 9-millimeter handgun. The boy carried a bag of candy.

Yet it seems, largely on the weight of his own word, the man who killed the boy was allowed to walk out of the police station that night without even a charge.

The boy’s body was taken to the medical examiner’s office and kept in a morgue. The man who killed him was able to return home.

The dead boy was Trayvon Martin. The man who killed him was George Zimmerman. The bullet that passed between them silenced a child but ignited a nation.  ::snipping2::

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/14/opinion/blow-justice-for-trayvon.html?_r=1&comments
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #565 on: April 14, 2012, 03:03:15 AM »

Hi Monkey's,

Question, please...Can you record a conversation on your cell phone?  TIA

A few interesting links, comments

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2012/04/13/trayvon-martin-case-looking-at-the-charge-against-george/#more-9897

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1614

http://news.yahoo.com/artist-creates-zimmerman-portrait-skittles-034916286.html

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #566 on: April 14, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57414081/strength-of-case-against-zimmerman-questioned/#postComments
Strength of case against Zimmerman questioned
By   Mark Strassmann
April 14, 2012

(CBS News) Now that George Zimmerman is behind bars facing murder charges for shooting Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla. on Feb. 26, there are questions about just how strong a case prosecutors have against him.

Special prosecutor Angela Corey's affidavit outlines her case, saying, Zimmerman "profiled" Martin as a suspicious person, and became the aggressor when he "disregarded the police dispatcher" on this call.
Corey said, "If (the) 'Stand Your Ground' (law) becomes an issue, we will fight it."

But many criminal trial lawyers in Orlando see nothing in the special prosecutor's affidavit that would convict Zimmerman.

Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law allows even the original aggressor in a fight to use deadly force - if that person becomes reasonably afraid of being killed or seriously hurt.
Trial lawyer Richard Hornsby has litigated 15 "Stand Your Ground" cases - none of them homicides - and won them all.

Hornsby told CBS News he thinks Corey's affidavit is more significant for what it leaves out than for what it includes.

"The moment George Zimmerman fired that shot is the key question in this entire case," Hornsby said. "Did he reasonably believe he had to fire that shot to defend himself? And the fact (Corey) completely left that out, begs the question, does she not have any evidence to refute his version of the events?"

::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #567 on: April 14, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

1.  Miami Herald, The (FL) - March 22, 2012

Trayvon Martin: a typical teen who loved video games, looked forward to prom,  Trayvon Martin’s death gripped the nation, but in life he was a typical Miami teen who texted his friends, loved video games and saw his future in aviation. 

Trayvon Martin spent his 17th birthday, which would be his last, with his family. He ate a home-cooked meal followed by cake, opened presents that included Levis jeans, Adidas sneakers and a bottle of Issey Miyake cologne. He would be 17 for 21 days.

::justice2NJ::

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives

Typical?  Not in my world.

Does this mean that Trayvon Martin should be dead?  No.

Janet

++++++

Reports of suspensions paint more complicated picture of Trayvon Martin
Family attorney: ''Everyone trying to demonize" Sanford shooting victim
March 26, 2012

SANFORD — Miami Gardens teenager Trayvon Martin was suspended from school in October in an incident in which he was found in possession of women’s jewelry and a screwdriver that a schools security staffer described as a “burglary tool,” The Miami Herald has learned.

Trayvon, who claimed that an unnamed friend had given him the jewelry, was not disciplined because of the discovery, but was instead suspended for graffiti, according to a Miami-Dade Schools Police report obtained by The Miami Herald.

<snipped>

According to the report, on Oct. 21 staffers monitoring a security camera at Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School spotted Trayvon and two other students writing “W.T.F.,” an acronym for “What the f---,” on a hallway locker, according to schools police. The security employee, who knew Trayvon, confronted the teen and looked through his bag for the graffiti marker.

Trayvon’s backpack contained 12 pieces of jewelry, in addition to a watch and a large flathead screwdriver, according to the report, which described the screwdriver as a burglary tool.

Trayvon was asked if the jewelry, which was mostly women’s rings and earrings, belonged to his family or a girlfriend.

“Martin replied it’s not mine. A friend gave it to me,” according to the report. Trayvon declined to name the friend.

School police impounded the jewelry and sent photos of the items to detectives at Miami-Dade police for further investigation.

“Martin was suspended, warned and dismissed for the graffiti,” according to the report prepared by Miami-Dade Schools Police.

That suspension was followed four months later by another one, in February, in which Trayvon was caught with an empty plastic bag with traces of marijuana in it, the boy’s family’s attorney has confirmed. A schools police report obtained by The Miami Herald specifies two items: a bag with marijuana residue and a “marijuana pipe.”

The suspension was the third for the teen. On Monday, the family also acknowledged Trayvon had earlier been suspended for tardiness and truancy.

<snipped>

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-03-26/news/sfl-reports-of-suspensions-paint-more-complicated-picture-of-trayvon-martin-20120326_1_suspensions-jewelry-report

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #568 on: April 14, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »

Cell phone records do confirm that Trayvon Martin was conversing with his "girlfriend" minutes prior to the altercation with George Zimmerman but ... somehow I doubt the alleged content of that conversation.  It took three weeks following the death of her "boyfriend" for the "girlfriend" to come forward to police and that only occurred after being contacted by the Martin attorney who had obtained Trayvon's cell phone records.

Why didn't the "girlfriend" contact 911 and/or Trayvon's parents when communication allegedly came to an abrupt end?  Why didn't the girlfriend immediately come forward to authorities and/or Trayvon's parents upon learning of Trayvon's death?  Could it be that the implication is that the "girlfriend" had no concern that her "boyfriend" was at risk at the end of that cell phone communcation?

Could it be that prior to coming forward to the police the "girlfriend" was coached by the Martin attorney and the coaching had everything to do with furthering a murder case against Zimmerman.

IMO

Janet

++++++

EXCLUSIVE: Robert Zimmerman interview
Updated: Thursday, 29 Mar 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 11:20 PM EDT

LAKE MARY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.

Robert Zimmerman, father of George Zimmerman, said he decided it was time to speak out for his son, against the advice of others.   He shared with us what George said happened on the night that 17-year-old Trayvon Martin died.

<snipped>

When asked about the screams for help which were heard on a 911 call, Robert replied, "All of our family, everyone who knows George, knows absolutely that is George screaming. There's no doubt in anyone's mind."

As for accounts from Trayvon Martin's girlfriend, who claimed she was on the phone with Martin right before the altercation, he said, "I don't believe that happened. I don't believe she was on the phone with him, and I find it very strange with the publicity involved... that all of a sudden, after three weeks, someone would remember that they were on the phone."

<snipped>

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/trayvon_martin/032812-exclusive-robert-zimmerman-interview

Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #569 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »

Trayvon killer George Zimmerman will seek release without bail

Trayvon Martin’s killer George Zimmerman will ask to be sprung from jail — without bail — at an upcoming court hearing, it was revealed yesterday.

“We’re going to start with asking for release on personal recognizance” at next Friday’s hearing in Florida, said Jimmy Woods, a spokesman for Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara.

If that doesn’t work, “we’re going to be requesting the lowest bail possible,” he said.

Zimmerman, 28, fatally shot Martin, 17, on Feb. 26 while following him in a gated Sanford, Fla., community after becoming suspicious of the black youth’s presence.

It took six weeks — and an outcry from across the nation — before he was finally charged with murder on Wednesday.

Defense lawyers unaffiliated with the case said they would be stunned if Zimmerman got out without bail on a charge of second-degree murder.

“That’s a pretty bold request,” said Florida attorney Eric Matheny.

“An ‘ROR’ is never going to happen,” he said, referring to the term being released on one’s own recognizance.

“You get ROR’ed when they shoplift at Macy’s — you don’t get it when you shoot and kill somebody  ::snipping2:: 

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/killer_spring_fever_vRXW6POHRSWu9lAP0ebKXN#ixzz1s2TPyJiw

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #570 on: April 14, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »

Justice for George Zimmerman

"Justice for Trayvon" is the rallying cry for those demanding George Zimmerman's immediate arrest in the shooting of Trayvon Martin. Yet forgotten in the rush to punish Zimmerman are the components of true justice: a presumption of innocence, dispassionate evaluation of the evidence, due process and color-blindness. Justice means justice for all, and that means both Martin and Zimmerman.

New evidence continues to complicate a case that the media initially portrayed as clear-cut, turning many Americans against Zimmerman. Let's survey the snags, not to discredit Martin's family's account but to illustrate just how little we know with certainty about Martin's death.

Did Zimmerman racially profile Martin in judging him "suspicious"? Here the distinction between racial profiling and holistic profiling is relevant. Zimmerman's friend Frank Taaffe said young black males had committed a string of recent robberies in the diverse neighborhood. Let's assume that is true. If Martin fit the profile of these specific suspects, was unfamiliar in the neighborhood, and was acting strangely in Zimmerman's mind by walking behind houses, then Zimmerman's judgment was appropriate. It remains uncertain whether Zimmerman, mentor to two black children, uttered a racial slur in his 911 call.

Although Zimmerman made a poor judgment in following Martin, it isn't clear that he wanted a confrontation. Zimmerman's father said his son was only trying to follow Martin until he could locate an address to give police.

Who started the confrontation is also unclear. Martin's family says Zimmerman caught up with, confronted and attacked Martin. Zimmerman's family says that after Zimmerman lost sight of Martin and turned back towards his vehicle, Martin confronted and attacked Zimmerman, breaking his nose and repeatedly smashing his head into the concrete. They say that Zimmerman only drew his weapon and shot Martin after Martin saw Zimmerman's gun in his waistband and verbally threatened Zimmerman's life.

Many claimed police video of Zimmerman that night revealed no clear injuries. Zimmerman, however, had already received first aid and the police report shows that he was bleeding from the nose and the back of his head when police arrived. ABC News recently enhanced the police video to reveal what ABC's Matt Gutman says appear to be "a pair of gashes or welts" on the back of Zimmerman's head. The medical records are not yet released.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wyatt-troia/justice-for-george-zimmerman_b_1406278.html

tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #571 on: April 14, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/radley-balko/prosecutor-power_b_1425084.html

The Unchecked Charging Power of the Prosecutor
Posted: 04/13/2012 10:53 pm

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #572 on: April 14, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »

Janet..I agree with you about the girlfriend and that something is not right about her story while being on the phone with trayvon...why didn't she call911?  Wouldn't she have heard the screams or what went on unless they had hung up before anything happened..I know that if I was fearful of my life,I would keep whomever I was talking to on the phone with me until I was safe,,,jmo.

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #573 on: April 14, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »

There is no question George had injuries to the back of his head.  The media keep acting like there is.  Video clearly showed the back of his injured noggin.  There is no doubt a scuffle of some sort occurred.  Question is, who was the aggressor and how would each person's actions be interpreted by law.

A guest on Nancy Grace pointed out that if George's nose was broken it could have been kickback from firing his weapon while in an awkward position.

Trayvon may have been on top of George but even if he was, did George think he was in danger of being killed?  If George did think he was in danger of being killed because of his own paranoia, does that then mean Trayvon's death is permissable and forgivable under the law?

This is an important case to the future of the 'stand your ground' law assuming George's attorney uses it in his defense, and I think he has no choice but to do just that. 
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #574 on: April 14, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »

I don't think that GZ set out to kill Trayvon or anyone else for that matter..I think that things got out of control. I don't think that Trayvon attacked George. I think that he was scared and was protecting himself. I would have been really scared if a stranger was following me..
We will see once all the facts come out. Bottom line for me, GZ had already called the police, they were on their way. He should have stayed in his vehicle and let LE take care of it...
He wouldn't be in the mess that he is in and Trayvon would not be dead.
As far as profiling goes, I think that most people do that if given a description of a person in who has been breaking into homes in their area...it could be a white guy with red hair and a scraggly beard...then we would take a closer look at red headed white guys who we don't know from our neighborhood..know what I mean? Is that considered profiling? I think it would be..but it is not racial...

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #575 on: April 14, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »

I don't think that GZ set out to kill Trayvon or anyone else for that matter..I think that things got out of control. I don't think that Trayvon attacked George. I think that he was scared and was protecting himself. I would have been really scared if a stranger was following me..
We will see once all the facts come out. Bottom line for me, GZ had already called the police, they were on their way. He should have stayed in his vehicle and let LE take care of it...
He wouldn't be in the mess that he is in and Trayvon would not be dead.
As far as profiling goes, I think that most people do that if given a description of a person in who has been breaking into homes in their area...it could be a white guy with red hair and a scraggly beard...then we would take a closer look at red headed white guys who we don't know from our neighborhood..know what I mean? Is that considered profiling? I think it would be..but it is not racial...

BINGO!!

I do not think that George Zimmerman considered for one minute that following Trayvon Martin until the police arrived would have created the chain of events that ended in the tragic death of this young man.

Janet

_____

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #576 on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

George Zimmerman Settles In At County Jail, Buys Playing Cards And Jolly Ranchers
Posted: 04/13/2012 1:48 pm Updated: 04/13/2012 1:59 pm

John E. Polk Correctional Facility

His cell is about 67 square feet. There's a toilet and two beds, a pillow and some sheets. But he has no television or roommate: Because of the "high profile nature" of the case against him, Zimmerman is in a segregated unit, according to the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.

Zimmerman, 28, will get three meals a day: breakfast at 4:00 a.m., lunch at 10:30 a.m. and dinner at 4:00 p.m. He'll also get three hours of recreation time per week, weather permitting.

He has been in custody since Wednesday evening, but he has wasted no time in making his stay a bit more comfortable, according to the sheriff’s office.

snip

According to a handout for inmates at the jail, use of the commissary is "a privilege and not a right," and inmates "will normally be allowed to order from the commissary two times per week." Only those on an inmate's visitation list are allowed to deposit money in their commissary account.

Interesting that only visitors are permitted to deposit money into the account, reportly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/13/george-zimmerman-makes-hi_n_1423849.html

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #577 on: April 15, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »

The Retreat at Twin Lakes
Our Neighborhood Watch leads to four arrests in burglaries in the RTL. Great job! This is why we need more residents calling the Sanford PD Non-emergency number to report suspicious activity.
Like · Comment · February 12 at 8:34am · Melissa Michele, George Zimmerman, Jaime Lynn Magnetico and 3 others like this.

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=facebook+%2fre%e2%80%8btreatattwinlakes&d=4552223466198274&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=65c67e23,e48b09ae

Cached page, HOA website.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #578 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »

Bill Cosby: Trayvon Martin case is about guns, not race

Legendary comedian says calling George Zimmerman a racist doesn't solve anything

By Philip Caulfield / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 1:01 PM
Updated: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 1:01 PM

Bill Cosby in 2011. The 74-year-old comedian has said that the Trayvon Martin case shows a need to get guns off the streets.

Legendary entertainer Bill Cosby said the national uproar over the killing of teen Trayvon Martin should be over guns, not race.

In an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" that aired Sunday, Cosby said calling George Zimmerman a racist was pointless.

"What is solved by saying, 'He's a racist, that's why he shot the boy'?" Cosby said.

Since first speaking out about the case earlier this month, Cosby has repeatedly said that the Feb. 26 slaying of the unarmed teen shows there is a need to get guns off the streets.

"When a person has a gun, sometimes their mind clicks, that this thing will win arguments and straighten people out," Cosby told CNN.

"I'm not saying you can't have it in your home to protect yourself... you've got to protect yourself in your own home," he added.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bill-coby-trayvon-martin-case-guns-race-article-1.1062006#ixzz1s8Q43Maq

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #579 on: April 15, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »

I am sure that there will be those who will call Mr. Cosby an Uncle Tom...
I call him an honorable, peaceful,level headed guy...he should be admired and a role model IMO...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.