March 28, 2024, 11:08:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390601 times)
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #720 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »

Wonder if GZ collected any money from the website?

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #721 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:52 PM »

Wonder if GZ collected any money from the website?

Here's the information, cookie.

O’Mara said the security and housing were being paid by Zimmerman’s family. It’s unclear how much has been raised from websites set up to collect donations, he said. One site has about $800 and another a few thousand dollars, but he’s unclear if anyone has withdrawn any funds, he told CNN’s Anderson Cooper. 

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/24/2765225/george-zimmerman-on-his-own-lawyer.html#storylink=cpy
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »

Thanks Grace -land....

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »

I agree, it would seem unusual for a defendant to apologize at a bond hearing.  And this is why I think if it seemed carefully crafted, it was to also make certain George Zimmerman's own words weren't used against him.  JMHO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/excerpts-from-george-zimmermans-apology-to-trayvon-martins-parents-prosecutors-questions/2012/04/20/gIQAN4bDWT_story.html

::snipping2::
In an unusual move, George Zimmerman took the witness stand Friday to apologize to the parents of Trayvon Martin for fatally shooting their 17-year-old son.
And given what we know of Crump & associates ability to manipulate the parents, the media, the internet, etc, I think GZ did the right thing.  There is no way the lawyers can twist his words for their agenda now.

What people fail to realize is that this has grown far beyond that neighborhood in Fl.  Its now about the big money to be made in courtrooms and political back allies.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »

I am starting to sway more towards GZ than I have in the past.  I don't like their attorney and I don't like how this whole case has been portrayed thus far. I think that there have been lies told, but not just from the defense side. Starting with the pictures of Trayvon when he was a younger kid instead of recent photos, the girlfriend who never called 911 or Trayvon's parents when she lost contact with him, knowing that he was being followed etc
I can't wait till we get more info on all of this.

i agree completely cookie!!!!
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting

A pit bull named Big Boi began menacing George and Shellie Zimmerman in the fall of 2009.

The first time the dog ran free and cornered Shellie in their gated community in Sanford, Florida, George called the owner to complain. The second time, Big Boi frightened his mother-in-law's dog. Zimmerman called Seminole County Animal Services and bought pepper spray. The third time he saw the dog on the loose, he called again. An officer came to the house, county records show.

"Don't use pepper spray," he told the Zimmermans, according to a friend. "It'll take two or three seconds to take effect, but a quarter second for the dog to jump you," he said.

"Get a gun."

That November, the Zimmermans completed firearms training at a local lodge and received concealed-weapons gun permits. In early December, another source close to them told Reuters, the couple bought a pair of guns. George picked a Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm handgun, a popular, lightweight weapon.

By June 2011, Zimmerman's attention had shifted from a loose pit bull to a wave of robberies that rattled the community, called the Retreat at Twin Lakes. The homeowners association asked him to launch a neighborhood watch, and Zimmerman would begin to carry the Kel-Tec on his regular, dog-walking patrol - a violation of neighborhood watch guidelines but not a crime.

Few of his closest neighbors knew he carried a gun - until two months ago.

On February 26, George Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in what Zimmerman says was self-defense. The furor that ensued has consumed the country and prompted a re-examination of guns, race and self-defense laws enacted in nearly half the United States.

During the time Zimmerman was in hiding, his detractors defined him as a vigilante who had decided Martin was suspicious merely because he was black. After Zimmerman was finally arrested on a charge of second-degree murder more than six weeks after the shooting, prosecutors portrayed him as a violent and angry man who disregarded authority by pursuing the 17-year-old.

But a more nuanced portrait of Zimmerman has emerged from a Reuters investigation into Zimmerman's past and a series of incidents in the community in the months preceding the Martin shooting.

Based on extensive interviews with relatives, friends, neighbors, schoolmates and co-workers of Zimmerman in two states, law enforcement officials, and reviews of court documents and police reports, the story sheds new light on the man at the center of one of the most controversial homicide cases in America.   ::snipping2:: 

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/george_zimmerman_prelude_to_shooting_KnrkzId9fbXMspvRx3Q4hJ#ixzz1t5Wp3Bkk
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #726 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/25/dershowitz-trayvon-prosecutor-overreached-with-murder-charge/
Dershowitz: Prosecutor in Trayvon Martin case overreached with murder charge
By Greg Wilson
April 25, 2012

Legal legend Alan Dershowitz blasted the special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case, accusing her of hiding evidence favorable to defendant George Zimmerman and committing perjury.

“If I were this prosecutor, I’d be hiring a lawyer at this point,” Dershowitz said of Angela Cory, the Florida state attorney and special prosecutor who Gov. Rick Scott appointed to handle the case.

Dershowitz leveled his bombshell charges in an interview Wednesday with Fox News' Megyn Kelly. The Harvard law professor, noted for winning an acquittal of  Claus Von Bulow in the case that inspired the film “Reversal of Fortune,” said Cory overreached by charging Zimmerman with second-degree murder. And he said the affidavit she filed in support of the charges was illegal because it did not include evidence favorable to Zimmerman.
“This affidavit submitted by the prosecutor in the Florida case is a crime,” Dershowitz said. “It’s a crime.”
ABC News recently aired a photo purportedly taken minutes after the shooting that shows a bloody wound on the back of Zimmerman’s head. That photo appears to support Zimmerman’s contention that he was being beaten by the teen when he shot him.

But Cory made no mention of Zimmerman’s wounds or photos that might substantiate them when announcing the charge on April 11. Dershowitz said she was obligated to include any and all pertinent evidence.

“If she in fact knew about ABC News’ pictures of the bloody head of Zimmerman and failed to include that in the affidavit, this affidavit is not the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth,” Dershowitz said. “It’s a perjurious affidavit.”

Even worse, Dershowitz warned that by overcharging Zimmerman, Cory may have planted the seed for riots if he is acquitted, as Dershowitz predicted will happen.

“If there are riots, it will be the prosecutor’s fault because she overcharged, raised expectations,” Dershowitz said. “This prosecutor not only may have suborned perjury, she may be responsible, if there are going to be riots here, for raising expectations to unreasonable levels.”

He said it is quite possible Zimmerman was guilty of a lesser charge, but the affidavit does not support a second-degree murder charge.

“There’s nothing in this affidavit that suggests second-degree murder. The elements of second-degree murder aren’t here."

Dershowitz is not the first legal expert to question the second-degree murder charge. The Florida statute requires proof that the defendant acted in a manner that was “evincing a depraved mind.” Prominent Miami criminal defense attorney John Priovolos told The Associated Press the charge was a “huge overreach” and said Corey will be hard-pressed to show Zimmerman had the “ill will, spite, malice or hatred” needed to prove a “depraved mind.”
When announcing the charge, Cory expressed confidence in her team’s case.

"We have to have a reasonable certainty of conviction before filing charges," Cory said.

But Dershowitz said Cory is the one who should be facing charges, arguing that her prosecution of the case has already taken a political turn.

“She was appointed to get Zimmerman,” Dershowitz said.
Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #727 on: April 25, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »

Dershowitz is a great defense attorney - I'm not sure I always see things the same way he does, though  :shrug:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303544604576429783247016492.html
Casey Anthony: The System Worked
Even if it is 'likely' or 'probable' that she committed the murder, she must be acquitted. The standard is proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
By ALAN M. DERSHOWITZ

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05/alan-dershowitz-says-prosecution-in-casey-anthony-trial-used-junk-science-to-try-to-convict-her/
Alan Dershowitz says prosecution in Casey Anthony trial used "junk science" to try to convict her

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #728 on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

Second Firing in False Zimmerman 911 Edit

There has been a second firing at NBC over the misleading edit of George Zimmerman's 911 call. A report published yesterday afternoon by the Miami Herald identifies reporter/producer Jeff Burnside as the individual responsible for the edits which appeared in an NBC6 news story on March 19th and again on March 20th.

Burnside's social media accounts show he was heavily involved in the Trayvon Martin story beginning on March 19th. The next day he interviewed one of Zimmerman's neighbors at the scene of the shooting. The story he wrote to accompany the interview (since corrected) is one of the two places the misleading edit appeared. In the original version Burnside quotes from the Zimmerman 911 call with a misleading ellipsis, "This guy looks like he’s up to no good…he looks black." On March 22nd Burnside posted this photo of himself interviewing Al Sharpton who was in Florida for a Trayvon Martin rally. He also attended a rally with Ben Jealous of the NAACP.

Burnside's story containing the misleading edit was picked up by MSNBC and a lightly revised version was published the next day, March 21st. The MSNBC version of the story has also been corrected but it was this story which caught the eye of a conservative blogger at Curses! Foiled Again!. The misleading edit he pointed out was picked up by Dan Riehl here at Breitbart News and within a few days edit-gate had become national news and an embarrassment to NBC brass.

Then, three weeks ago, NBC announced that, after an internal investigation, they had fired a Miami based producer responsible for the misleading edit which appeared on the Today Show. That individual still has not been identified but is not Jeff Burnside. Burnside apparently did not work on the Today Show and was only responsible for the (identical) edits that appeared at NBC6 and MSNBC.   ::snipping2:: 

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/04/26/Second-Firing-in-False-Zimmerman-911-Edit
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #729 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »

Sybrina Fulton: 'I Can Wait A Year' For Justice

Interview Highlights

On the police's treatment of Zimmerman:

"I feel, by him being arrested, that we are moving into the right direction. I certainly feel that he should have been arrested at the scene. But he was not; he was arrested some 44 days later. But I do think that it was justified that he be arrested."

On facing a lengthy trial process:

"If it takes me the rest of my life, I am dedicated and committed to getting justice. So, I can wait a year. If that's the process, the proper process that it has to take, I'm willing to wait for justice to be served."

On the role of race in the Martin case:

"I have said before that it's not about black and white. And as I look in the crowds when we're at the rallies and at the different church services and things like that, I notice that it's not just African-American people. It's not just black people that are there. There are Spanish people, there are white people, there are Mexican people, Cuban people — there are people from all across the globe. So, that indicates to me that it's not just about African-Americans."

On Zimmerman's apology at his bond hearing:

Fulton refers the question to Benjamin Crump, who says:

"It was such an inappropriate time to do that. It was requested by his attorney right before the bond hearing — could he have a private meeting to apologize. Well, he had almost 49 days to come forward. And then on the 50th day, he comes forth and says, 'I want to apologize.'

"Well, we think that's very insincere, when you think of all the opportunities he had to apologize.

"It seems you have an ulterior motive to say I'm sorry when I'm trying to ask the judge to let me out of jail.

"... We believe, had Trayvon Martin shot George Zimmerman and the shoe been on the other foot, that Trayvon Martin would not have been given a bond."

On Trayvon Martin inspiring activism:

"When we went into it, we went into it with a focus. And our focus was to get justice for Trayvon. It does help to see so many people that's supporting us ... Just to see support from other parents and other individuals that are concerned; it helps a lot."

On Mother's Day:

"My mother is still living, so of course I'm going to take care of my mother, and make sure that she has flowers and a gift, and just spend time with my mother. My kids usually spend time with me ...

"It probably will be a ... point in that day that I would of course think about Trayvon and what he's done for me in the past, and how I'm going to miss him in the future."  ::snipping2::

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151377059/sybrina-fulton-i-can-wait-a-year-for-justice
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #730 on: April 26, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »

Trayvon Martin’s Parents To Host Civil Rights Rally In SouthLOS ANGELES (CBS) — A rally expected to draw prominent civil rights leaders is scheduled to take place at a Los Angeles church Thursday to mark the two-month anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death.

The rally starting at 5:30 p.m. at the West Los Angeles Church in Christ at 3045 Crenshaw Boulevard will be attended by the Martin family, NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous, the Rev. Al Sharpton, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and Bishop Charles Blake, who preaches at the church.

Several celebrities are expected, including Stevie Wonder, Chaka Kahn, David Banner, Paul Rodriguez, radio host Big Boy and Magic Johnson.   ::snipping2:: 

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/04/26/trayvon-martins-parents-to-host-civil-rights-rally-in-south-la/

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #731 on: April 26, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

Trayvon Martin’s Parents To Host Civil Rights Rally In SouthLOS ANGELES (CBS) — A rally expected to draw prominent civil rights leaders is scheduled to take place at a Los Angeles church Thursday to mark the two-month anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death.

The rally starting at 5:30 p.m. at the West Los Angeles Church in Christ at 3045 Crenshaw Boulevard will be attended by the Martin family, NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous, the Rev. Al Sharpton, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and Bishop Charles Blake, who preaches at the church.

Several celebrities are expected, including Stevie Wonder, Chaka Kahn, David Banner, Paul Rodriguez, radio host Big Boy and Magic Johnson.   ::snipping2:: 

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/04/26/trayvon-martins-parents-to-host-civil-rights-rally-in-south-la/

A rally? Really? Why? To incite more unrest and division?
GZ was arrested as he should probably have been , as the family wanted..now we wait for all the facts to come in and we have a trial..what the family wanted..isn't it? Or is it?

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »

GZ was arrested as he should probably have been , as the family wanted..now we wait for all the facts to come in and we have a trial..what the family wanted..isn't it? Or is it?

IMO, they've had a taste of the spotlight and like it. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #733 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #734 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »

Magic Johnson, Stevie Wonder Expected at LA Trayvon Martin Rally

The rally comes as news broke that the man believed responsible for Martin’s death, George Zimmerman, has taken down a website devoted to helping raise money for his legal defense, a spokesman for his lawyer said Wednesday.

The website www.therealgeorgezimmerman.com was no longer functioning as of Tuesday, said James Woods, a spokesman for Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara.

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of the 17-year-old Martin in February. He has pleaded not guilty and is claiming self-defense.

O'Mara has hinted that he will ask Zimmerman to be declared indigent, which would allow taxpayers to pay for his legal bills.  ::snipping2:: 

http://topicfire.com/share/Trayvon-Martin-Rally-Set-for-Thursday-19747080.html
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #735 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »

Is there an internet site I have missed? Profitoffyourdeadkid.com? Anthonys Irwins Cummings Martins. Hurry,hurry ,hurry! Get the T-shirts. Want a free trip? Celebrity lawyers knock at your door? Rallies! Vigils! I'm sorry what's your kids name? Golden!
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #736 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »

Donations pour in to Trayvon Martin's killer

The lawyer for the neighborhood watch leader who fatally shot unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, said Thursday that his client has received about $200,000 from supporters.

Orlando lawyer Mark O'Mara told CNN's "AC360" that George Zimmerman told him Wednesday of the donations as they were trying to shut down his Internet presence to avoid concerns about possible impersonators.

"He asked me what to do with his PayPal accounts and I asked him what he was talking about," O'Mara told Anderson Cooper. "And he said those were the accounts that had the money from the website he had. And there was about 200, $204,000 that had come in to date."

O'Mara had said earlier this month that he believed Zimmerman had no money. "I think he's indigent for costs," he said, adding that Zimmerman's relatives had few assets.

Zimmerman, 28, was released Monday on $150,000 bail, 10% of which his family put up to secure his release. He is accused of second-degree murder in the February 26 death of Martin, who was African-American. Critics have accused him of racially profiling Martin and unjustly killing him. He has said he shot in self-defense.

Asked whether knowledge of the money might have made a difference to Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., who presided at Zimmerman's bond hearing, O'Mara said, "It might have."

O'Mara continued, "I'm certainly going to disclose it to the court tomorrow -- coincidentally, we have a hearing."

He said he was prepared to "deal with any fallout," but predicted Lester would not feel misled. "I told him what I knew at the time, which was exactly what I was aware of."

The money has been placed in a secure account since O'Mara learned about it, he said, adding, "Nobody's touching it until we figure out how to handle it."  ::snipping2::

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #737 on: April 26, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »

Is there an internet site I have missed? Profitoffyourdeadkid.com? Anthonys Irwins Cummings Martins. Hurry,hurry ,hurry! Get the T-shirts. Want a free trip? Celebrity lawyers knock at your door? Rallies! Vigils! I'm sorry what's your kids name? Golden!

Priceless Alagary! Just priceless! Post of the month!

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #738 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »

Absolutely...why is there a need for a civil rights rally...really?  Where is the racism?  Oh that's right...it's them.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #739 on: April 26, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »

George Zimmerman Bail Reverses All Hard Work Done for Trayvon Martin

What do you do when your municipality is holding arguably the most-hated and notorious killer on earth?  You grant him bail. That's exactly what Judge Kenneth Lester did for George Zimmerman, the man who killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

As a condition of his bail, Zimmerman is not allowed to have possession of firearms, drink alcohol, or use drugs.  He must also maintain a curfew.  How nice.

If the city of Sanford wanted to embarrass itself any further, it just did.

The justice system that has obtained international prominence as one of the most inept, irresponsible, racist and unprofessional organizations in the country has set a new standard for judicial indecency.  The family of Trayvon Martin worked hard to get Zimmerman arrested because he was a flight risk, now he's a flight risk all over again.

Granting bail for George Zimmerman, for the most part, is a slap in the face to those around the world who worked for his arrest.  It simply says that without regard to the will of the people, those possessing the power of the state have no obligation to answer to anyone or even share whatever information they are using to come to their illogical decisions.

Granting bail to Zimmerman renders all the rallies, petitions and hard work done around the world to bring him to justice meaningless.  It effectively communicates defiance within the Sanford judicial system to say, "We don't care what you think.  We're going to do whatever we choose to do."  ::snipping2::

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-boyce-watkins/george-zimmerman-bail_b_1440870.html
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.