March 28, 2024, 12:05:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390644 times)
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #780 on: April 28, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »

If there are big buckets of cash handed to the Martin family, where is the accountability? 
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/27/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/?hpt=us_c2
"The attorney also said the Martin family has raised less than $100,000 in fund-raising efforts to date, and that the money collected will go toward the Trayvon Martin Foundation."

As far as the question asked by Al Sharpton, "who is financing Zimmerman", does this mean anyone that donates to George Zimmerman could be threatened?  In my previous post, George Zimmerman's attorney O'Mara does say he's concerned about those that donated to the fund. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/27/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/?hpt=us_c2  Lester and O'Mara both said they are concerned about releasing the names of donors to Zimmerman, who has faced threats since the case began making national headlines in March."
"My fear is they may well be targeted for reprisals or animosities or whatever," O'Mara told reporters after the hearing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tanya-young-williams/trayvon-martin-rally-la_b_1458052.html
Red Carpet Treatment for Martin Family As Celebrities, Activists and Supporters Pack Prestigious L.A. Church
April 27, 2012

::snipping2::
The Trayvon Martin family formally launched the Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation on the stage of one of the nation's most prestigious churches -- The West Angeles Church of God in Christ. The night also marked the two month anniversary of the tragic killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's death, at the hands of 28-year-old, self-appointed, community watchman George Zimmerman. For the first time, the advisors of Tracy Martin and Sabrina Fulton, the parents of Trayvon Martin, outlined the purpose for the newly established foundation on behalf of Trayvon. There had been three other rallies held in Los Angeles over the past two months wherein demonstrates marched and chanted for George Zimmerman's arrest.
The NAACP, National Action Network, Empowerment Movement and Rainbow Push Coalition co-sponsored the event and stated their support for the Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation's mission. The mission of the foundation is for:

Advocation for crime victims and their families of senseless crimes

Educating young people on conflict resolution techniques

Increasing public awareness against all forms of profiling

Enacting Trayvon Martin legislation to prevent the inappropriate application of "stand your ground" principles

Reverend Al Sharpton, founder of the National Action Network and host of MSNBC's Politics Nation was the first speaker for the evening
harpton briefly talked of the foundation's goals and explained that a long-term commitment is needed to make effective changes to "stand your ground" laws. He also was responsible for asking the audience, the VIPs sitting on the stage, and the clergy assembled, for donations that would go directly to the Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation.

The Nation of Islam gave $5,000, a couple of organizations gave $500, scores of people gave $100 and then the audience walked around the church to put their donations into large buckets. immediately following the collection of monies, Reverend Sharpton handed the filled buckets to the Martin family. He explained that all monies raised would be go to initiatives specifically outlined in the foundation's mission statement. He made it very clear that no money would go to the travel or personal expenses of the family.
Reverend Jackson, a slowed down version of his younger self, asked the question, "who is financing Zimmerman?" Jackson stated that CNN reported that the unemployed Zimmerman has over $200,000 in his account.

This information brought jeers from the crowd. Although he illustrated through audience participation, that most African-Americans in attendance knew someone who has been profiled, his message was one of inclusion. He said, "we have to stop all of the killing, of all of the people, all of the time." He took his seat to a standing ovation with the saying for which he is most famous: "Keep Hope Alive."

Disturbing that these people are using a church as the backdrop for their mission to incite hate &racial unrest. Its almost as ironic as casey anthony living in one. Wheres that site, profitoffyourdeadkid.com? Forgot who posted that but it truly was priceless.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #781 on: April 28, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »

GZ is a dead man walking.  Soon or later, someone filled with hate will murder him because of the hate talk that is filling the air.  It won't matter what is determined by the courts.  There will be no justice in this case. 

I have to say, it offends me greatly to see people associated with churches involved in this.  Have they not read their Bibles?  NEVER did Jesus call for the deaths of people.  In fact, He taught to turn the other cheek, love your neighbor as yourself, and to give up your life for another.  Jesus was a servant shepherd.  These church folks will stand before Jesus one day and have to answer for their actions.  Shame on them.

I agree...As a Christian that follows the same Bible as them, I have to say I am truly disappointed. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #782 on: April 28, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/26/teen-charged-with-hate-crime-says-he-was-mad-about-trayvon-martin/

Teen Charged With Hate Crime, Says He Was Mad About Trayvon Martin
April 26, 2012 6:32 AM

OAK PARK, Ill. (CBS) — A teen charged with a hate crime in Oak Park says he attacked and beat up his victim because he was angry about the Trayvon Martin case.

Alton Hayes III, 18, of Oak Park, is charged with attempted robbery and aggravated battery. He is also charged with a hate crime.

Hayes and his 15-year-old alleged accomplice are African-American, while the victim is white.

The Oak Park-River Forest Patch reports around 1 a.m. April 17, Hayes and the Chicago boy walked up behind the 19-year-old victim in the 1600 block of North Kenilworth Avenue in Oak Park.

Police say Hayes and his accomplice and pinned the victim’s arms to his side, police said. Hayes then picked up a large tree branch, pointed it at the man and said, “Empty your pockets, white boy,” police said.

The two allegedly rifled through the victim’s pockets, then threw him to the ground and punched him “numerous times” in the head and back before running away, police said.

DISGUSTING. yet we wouldn't be able to organize a march or protest or civil rights rally about this without being labeled racists.  I'm sick of the double standards.

A violent POS looking for a reason to express his inner rage and darkness and the Trayvon Martin case becomes the excuse.  If it wasn't Trayvon's case it would have been something else.

This attack should be a hate crime, though, based on the fact that the offender stated it was race based.

Anyone can commit a race based hate crime, not just white folk.

The Idjet Pros, had an opportunity to ask GZ when he was under oath (Bond hearing),

if he knew of any funds...Pros let down the family of TM, imo. 

GZ is a slicker than LE and slicker than the Pros. 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #783 on: April 28, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/04/26/teen-charged-with-hate-crime-says-he-was-mad-about-trayvon-martin/

Teen Charged With Hate Crime, Says He Was Mad About Trayvon Martin
April 26, 2012 6:32 AM

OAK PARK, Ill. (CBS) — A teen charged with a hate crime in Oak Park says he attacked and beat up his victim because he was angry about the Trayvon Martin case.

Alton Hayes III, 18, of Oak Park, is charged with attempted robbery and aggravated battery. He is also charged with a hate crime.

Hayes and his 15-year-old alleged accomplice are African-American, while the victim is white.

The Oak Park-River Forest Patch reports around 1 a.m. April 17, Hayes and the Chicago boy walked up behind the 19-year-old victim in the 1600 block of North Kenilworth Avenue in Oak Park.

Police say Hayes and his accomplice and pinned the victim’s arms to his side, police said. Hayes then picked up a large tree branch, pointed it at the man and said, “Empty your pockets, white boy,” police said.

The two allegedly rifled through the victim’s pockets, then threw him to the ground and punched him “numerous times” in the head and back before running away, police said.

DISGUSTING. yet we wouldn't be able to organize a march or protest or civil rights rally about this without being labeled racists.  I'm sick of the double standards.

A violent POS looking for a reason to express his inner rage and darkness and the Trayvon Martin case becomes the excuse.  If it wasn't Trayvon's case it would have been something else.

This attack should be a hate crime, though, based on the fact that the offender stated it was race based.

Anyone can commit a race based hate crime, not just white folk.

The Idjet Pros, had an opportunity to ask GZ when he was under oath (Bond hearing),

if he knew of any funds...Pros let down the family of TM, imo. 

GZ is a slicker than LE and slicker than the Pros. 

Im not really seeing the big issue with the money. It was donated by people who feel he deserves a fair trial & defense. If they had known about it all it would have done is make his bond higher. Im surr he would have gladly posted the money to secure his bond. I dont blame him for using it for living expenses. Im sure his entire family is targeted. How are they supposed to live if theyre afraid for their lives & cant live or work as usual. What is the martin family collecting for? Their mission to create racial division?
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #784 on: April 28, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »

GENE LYONS: Pundits are far from experts

Almost from the beginning, there were two aspects of the "George Zimmerman as racist assassin" story that made little sense. First, who calls the police, then murders a total stranger in cold blood knowing that the cops are minutes away? Panic seemed likelier than malice. Second, how does a 28-year-old man with a desk job catch a fleeing 17-year-old high school athlete, anyway?

I say "almost," because like most Americans, I responded to the Trayvon Martin tragedy as President Obama did -- in sorrow, and with pity for the immense dignity of the young man's parents. They and their son deserve justice. Not vengeance, justice

I also believed, as I've written, that "untrained individuals like Zimmerman have no business packing heat, nor confronting strangers they deem suspicious. Trouble didn't come to George Zimmerman; he went looking for it. At minimum, he acted like a damn fool."

However, I was also leery of journalists and TV personalities like Al Sharpton and his MSNBC colleagues setting up as prosecutor, judge and jury. Even if you didn't know about Sharpton's previous misadventures -- he became famous due to his outrageous conduct during the 1987 Tawana Brawley rape hoax -- the network's permitting him to report about a public event in which he'd enrolled as an active participant violated every known rule of journalistic ethics.

But truly, I had no idea. What began as a local tragedy has been supersized into a ratings-driven national TV melodrama, a racially and politically charged piece of infotainment pitting good against evil. A festival of bad reporting, speculation and mind-reading from the outset, the Zimmerman-Martin affair has turned into a classic example of what University of Virginia psychologist Jonathan Haidt calls a "consensual hallucination."

That is, people have so much emotion invested in the story, that regardless of how much the facts change, their conclusions rarely do. With group identity at stake, skepticism's in short supply. It's become like a national Rorschach test. Comment lines to newspaper stories and blog posts regarding the case are a sight to see. Responding to a New York Times photo of Zimmerman on the witness stand, readers speculated that he'd artificially darkened his skin to curry favor with African-American jurors.

More's the pity, because apart from its most basic elements, i.e., that George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin during a struggle after phoning Sanford, Fla. police to report a suspicious character, very little about the tragedy as initially reported has survived closer scrutiny. Remember when Zimmerman was depicted as a 250-lb brute assaulting a child half his size? The real George Zimmerman turns out to be a smallish fellow some 5 or 6 inches shorter than the wiry young man he confronted.

Cable TV's amateur prosecutors expressed outrage that Sanford police failed to investigate. They alleged that Zimmerman had been allowed to leave the crime scene and go home. Supposedly, police hadn't bothered to take photos documenting Zimmerman's self-defense claim, nor collected his gun or clothing as evidence. Sharpton and the rest railed about poor Trayvon's body lying in the morgue for four days before his frantic parents were notified.

If true, these would have been evidence of callous racism and worse. However, they were all categorically false. The cops took Zimmerman downtown, grilled him for hours, collected the physical evidence, canvassed for witnesses and filed an affidavit recommending he be charged with manslaughter. Sanford officers delivered the terrible news to Trayvon's father face to face almost as soon as the family phoned police seeking his whereabouts.  ::snipping2::

http://www.indianagazette.com/b_opinions/article_fb74ffa1-1df0-5b07-bfb6-a81e33a2e2d7.html
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #785 on: April 28, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »

Those having an issue with money are the very ones who'd like to lynch Zimmerman and bypass the entire justice system altogether.  We're going backwards folks.  Those who learn nothing from history will repeat it. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #786 on: April 28, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »

GZ is a dead man walking.  Soon or later, someone filled with hate will murder him because of the hate talk that is filling the air.  It won't matter what is determined by the courts.  There will be no justice in this case. 

I have to say, it offends me greatly to see people associated with churches involved in this.  Have they not read their Bibles?  NEVER did Jesus call for the deaths of people.  In fact, He taught to turn the other cheek, love your neighbor as yourself, and to give up your life for another.  Jesus was a servant shepherd.  These church folks will stand before Jesus one day and have to answer for their actions.  Shame on them.

I missed where someone at the church or affiliated with a church called for George Zimmerman's death.  Will you please post the article where that was written?

Everyone will stand before Jesus and answer for what they have done... respectfully, who do you feel will be shamed by Jesus?  I guess it depends on what is in their hearts and only He knows that.  What if the people in that church really believe that they (and more specifically Trayvon) are judged based on their race?  What if they really are only seeking what they percieve to be equality?  Maybe a fearless and healthy debate needs to take place on a national scale with intelligent minds and speakers.  I'm pretty neutral on the subject of race because I know there is truth on both sides but there are so many people polarized by it that it's a tumor to society... pretty much since time began.  Jesus knows the race/religion/diversity issue well.   an angelic monkey

The big deal with George and his wife not mentioning the money they had collected is that they lied to the judge during a court proceeding.  The willingness to speak less than honestly is a moral marker.  To do it in a court of law so early in a case makes me wonder what else he is lying about, has lied about, or will lie about.

It is all about facts for me.  What the pundits and media have to say matter little.  Trayvon is dead so any actions on the part of his family or black leaders have no baring on my opinion of the case itself (while I do maintain opinion about racial divide/possible rioting/etc... that is a seperate issue)  George Zimmerman is still alive and still making choices and taking actions and so I do have an opinion about that with regards to the case. 

This case is getting lost in the furor over race, IMO. 

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #787 on: April 28, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »

I missed where someone at the church or affiliated with a church called for George Zimmerman's death.  Will you please post the article where that was written?

Everyone will stand before Jesus and answer for what they have done... respectfully, who do you feel will be shamed by Jesus?  I guess it depends on what is in their hearts and only He knows that.  What if the people in that church really believe that they (and more specifically Trayvon) are judged based on their race?  What if they really are only seeking what they percieve to be equality?  Maybe a fearless and healthy debate needs to take place on a national scale with intelligent minds and speakers.  I'm pretty neutral on the subject of race because I know there is truth on both sides but there are so many people polarized by it that it's a tumor to society... pretty much since time began.  Jesus knows the race/religion/diversity issue well.   an angelic monkey

The big deal with George and his wife not mentioning the money they had collected is that they lied to the judge during a court proceeding.  The willingness to speak less than honestly is a moral marker.  To do it in a court of law so early in a case makes me wonder what else he is lying about, has lied about, or will lie about.

It is all about facts for me.  What the pundits and media have to say matter little.  Trayvon is dead so any actions on the part of his family or black leaders have no baring on my opinion of the case itself (while I do maintain opinion about racial divide/possible rioting/etc... that is a seperate issue)  George Zimmerman is still alive and still making choices and taking actions and so I do have an opinion about that with regards to the case. 

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  I refuse to be baited by you.  Believe what you will but DO NOT try to tell me what I believe is wrong.  I will wait on the facts, I will not be led by the angry mobs.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #788 on: April 28, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

Hi Amy' Sister. As I recall it was stated to the court by Z's wife that they didn't know how much money had been donated, that her brother-in-law was taking care of that. So, I don't believe anyone lied to the court.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #789 on: April 28, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  I refuse to be baited by you.  Believe what you will but DO NOT try to tell me what I believe is wrong.  I will wait on the facts, I will not be led by the angry mobs.

I agree with KittyMom here...I haven't seen the "facts" where GZ lied to the judge.  I haven't seen a list of the donations and when they were available through PayPal...maybe I missed it though.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #790 on: April 28, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »

Those having an issue with money are the very ones who'd like to lynch Zimmerman and bypass the entire justice system altogether.  We're going backwards folks.  Those who learn nothing from history will repeat it. 

I'm sorry, I have to strongly disagree with this statement.  There are many people commenting disparagingly about the Martin family collecting money... are they doing so because they want the Martin family lynched? 

I have missed anyone calling for the lynching of Zimmerman, or calling for his death, except lunatic extremists who I believe mostly are created by media to stir the pot (those one or two 'black panthers' as an example).  Everything I have read has shown that they are only seeking justice for Trayvon... not the murder of Zimmerman! 

There is no issue with Zimmerman collecting money.  The issue is that he hid it from the judge and lied about having a couple hundred thousand dollars during a court proceeding. 

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #791 on: April 28, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »

Kittymom, I not trying to bait you and I'm sorry you see it that way or that I posted something that looks that way.  It's pretty clear I'm in the minority here.  I'm just posting it the way I see, much like you are.  You're a good hearted person with a perspective that differs from mine and there's nothing wrong with either of our opinions... no hard feelings, okay?

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #792 on: April 28, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »

Hi Amy' Sister. As I recall it was stated to the court by Z's wife that they didn't know how much money had been donated, that her brother-in-law was taking care of that. So, I don't believe anyone lied to the court.

You could be right however they had up until that point spent $50,000.00 so they must have had an inclination of how much money was in the account.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #793 on: April 28, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »

You could be right however they had up until that point spent $50,000.00 so they must have had an inclination of how much money was in the account.

I don't recall reading/hearing just when that money was withdrawn from the account, nor that all fifty thou was spent?
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #794 on: April 28, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »

Kittymom, I not trying to bait you and I'm sorry you see it that way or that I posted something that looks that way.  It's pretty clear I'm in the minority here.  I'm just posting it the way I see, much like you are.  You're a good hearted person with a perspective that differs from mine and there's nothing wrong with either of our opinions... no hard feelings, okay?

I think that this issue is so so touchy.  Like me, I try to be fair and look at both angles.  I know that people see it differently than I do...and that is okay...and it is good that we can get on here and disagree in a civilized way...so sometimes when someone makes a statement that seems to be written as a fact, instead of an opinion...it seems they are not seeing both sides...or trying to be open...which is frustrating...so, to be honest here...I read yours as entirely one-sided and can admit that I didn't like it for a minute Smile  But, I stood back and tried to understand where you were coming from.  I am in favor of justice.  That's it.  I disagree with a lot of what is going on and it really angers and leads me to be more on one side (because the facts are getting lost) and I try really hard not to do that...because at the end of the day Trayvon is no longer here and that is really sad.

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #795 on: April 28, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »

Nice post labubske.  Thank you for the clarity.

kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #796 on: April 28, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

I don't recall reading/hearing just when that money was withdrawn from the account, nor that all fifty thou was spent?

It was 5,000 not 50,000
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #797 on: April 28, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/27/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/?hpt=us_c2
Judge delays decision on Zimmerman contributions
April 27, 2012

(CNN) -- George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer accused of wrongly killing Trayvon Martin, will not immediately have to turn over donations made to his website, a Florida judge said Friday.

Zimmerman collected about $204,000 in donations through the website, but did not disclose the contributions during his bond hearing last week, according to his attorney, Mark O'Mara. Prosecutors had asked for a bond of $1 million, but Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. made it $150,000 after Zimmerman's family testified they did not have the resources necessary to meet the higher level.

Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda on Friday asked Lester to increase the bond in light of the donations. But the judge said he would delay ruling on the request, in part because he does not know if he has authority to say how the money can be used.
Zimmerman, 28, was released Monday on $150,000 bail, 10% of which was put up to secure his release while he awaits trial on a second-degree murder charge in Martin's February 26 death.

About $5,000 from the website contribution was used in making bond, O'Mara said. The rest came from a loan secured by a family home.

Although Zimmerman spent some of the contributions on living expenses, about $150,000 remains, O'Mara said Friday. O'Mara said he has put the money into a trust he controls until a final decision is made about its use.

Lester asked for additional information about the accounts but did not indicate when he would rule.

"I'm not going to make a snap decision," the judge said.

Also during Friday's hearing, Lester declined to consider a gag order requested by prosecutors, saying it was premature and that none of the attorneys in the case had said anything to concern him so far. CNN was among the media organizations opposing the motion.
 Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #798 on: April 28, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »

::snipping2::About $5,000 from the website contribution was used in making bond, O'Mara said. The rest came from a loan secured by a family home.

Although Zimmerman spent some of the contributions on living expenses, about $150,000 remains, O'Mara said Friday. O'Mara said he has put the money into a trust he controls until a final decision is made about its use.  ::snipping2::

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/27/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/?hpt=us_c2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 150,000 remaining from 204,000. And I do agree that Z and his family will need this and likely more for living expenses and their safety.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #799 on: April 28, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-28/news/os-sidebar-george-zimmerman-evidence-trayvon-2-20120428_1_casey-anthony-anthony-family-home-suburban-drive

Casey Anthony case shows scope of evidence possible in George Zimmerman case
8:01 p.m. EST, April 28, 2012

Why is discovery in court cases important? Because it gives defense attorneys — and the public — a peek inside the prosecution's case.

The state's most high-profile recent case showed the kind — and quantity — of evidence that's possible when discovery is released.
In the two years preceding the murder trial of Casey Anthony, prosecutors released thousands of pages of documents related to the investigation: emails, lab reports, photos, phone records.
As the case against George Zimmerman progresses, the case against Anthony shows there should be a lot of new information forthcoming about the Feb. 26 shooting of Trayvon Martin. Anthony, 26, was acquitted in July on all major charges in the death of her daughter.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.