March 29, 2024, 08:07:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #1 4/12/12 - 5/10/12  (Read 390782 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #820 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »

Trayvon Martin's parents come to Alabama

FAIRFIELD, AL (WBRC) -
The parents of Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin, are expected in Alabama this week. They are expected at a town hall meeting on the state of justice and youth in America. The public will get a chance to discuss concerns related to the Trayvon Martin case.

The meeting will be held at Pearson Hall at Miles College Thursday, from 5-7 p.m.  ::snipping2::

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/17929477/trayvon-martins-parents-come-to-alabama

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #821 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/04/george-zimmermans-attorney-launches-social-media-campaign/1
George Zimmerman's attorney launches social media campaign
By Natalie DiBlasio, USA TODAY
April 30, 2012

George Zimmerman's case has a Twitter account, a Facebook page and a website – all run by his defense attorney. Unusual? Very.

Attorney Mark O'Mara launched the social media campaign last week for his client, who is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

"We understand that it is unusual for a legal defense to maintain a social media presence on behalf of a defendant, but we also acknowledge that this is a very unusual case," O'Mara says in his first website posting.

The lawyer says Zimmerman's legal team started the site to discredit fake websites and social profiles claiming to be Zimmerman, to dispute misinformation and to discourage speculation. Zimmerman claims self-defense in the Martin shooting.

A second website will soon go live to accept donations. Zimmerman's previous website raised more than $200,000 before it was taken down this week by O'Mara, the Orlando Sentinel reports. O'Mara also took down Zimmerman's other social media profiles.

"It is not in Mr. Zimmerman's best interests to speak publicly about this case, and as he has hired us to represent him, we feel part of our responsibility to our client is to provide a voice for Mr. Zimmerman, but only when it is appropriate to do so," a post on Zimmerman's site reads.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #822 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin_n_1464830.html

George Zimmerman Defense Team Launches Social Media Campaign

The defense team for George Zimmerman, the man charged with murdering unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, has launched a new website, Facebook and Twitter account designed to dispute misinformation and provide "a voice for Mr. Zimmerman."

"We understand that it is unusual for a legal defense to maintain a social media presence on behalf of a defendant, but we also acknowledge that this is a very unusual case," Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman’s attorney, wrote on the website, gzlegalcase.com.

O’Mara said that "social media in this day and age cannot be ignored," and that it would be “irresponsible to ignore the robust online conversation” around his client's case.

::snipping2:: ::snipping2:: ::snipping2::
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #823 on: April 30, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »

18th Circuit Court

Media Advisories

It is the goal of the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit to ensure that the media and public are accommodated to the best of the Court's abilities during special interest/high profile proceedings. Below you will find media advisories and public record documents pertaining to State v. Zimmerman (2012-CF-001083-A). Please continue to check this website for updates. Documents will be posted as they are made available for public distribution.

http://www.flcourts18.org/presspublic.html
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #824 on: April 30, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »

FAIRFIELD, AL (WBRC) -
The parents of Florida teenager, Trayvon Martin, are expected in Alabama this week. They are expected at a town hall meeting on the state of justice and youth in America. The public will get a chance to discuss concerns related to the Trayvon Martin case.

The meeting will be held at Pearson Hall at Miles College Thursday, from 5-7 p.m.  ::snipping2::

Give it a rest people! You are turning the public against you...I dislike their actions more and more...good grief...they are stirring the pot if u ask me!

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #825 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:11 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/george-zimmermans-defense-team-launches-social-media-campaign/2012/04/30/gIQAlvtYsT_story.html

George Zimmerman’s defense team launches social media campaign
By Melissa Bell, Monday, April 30, 6:11 PM

George Zimmerman’s defense team has launched a social media campaign to combat false rumors and raise money for their client.

On a newly branded “GZLegalCase” Twitter account, a Facebook page and a new Web site, the legal team tracks the latest developments surrounding the high-profile prosecution. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman’s attorney Mark O’Mara said Zimmerman would plead not guilty.

A post on the Web site acknowledges the rarity of a legal defense team maintaining a social media presence for a client, but it says the case calls for unusual measures and that there is a need to establish “the credibility of official digital properties that the media and the public can trust as the official voice for what is legitimate and what is not.”

The social media campaign is the latest move by the O’Mara Law Group to help improve Zimmerman’s image after a tumultuous few months in the court of public opinion. Earlier this month, Zimmerman set up his own unpolished Web site to solicit funds for himself.
 ::snipping2::

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #826 on: May 01, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »

FAIRFIELD, AL (WBRC) -

Give it a rest people! You are turning the public against you...I dislike their actions more and more...good grief...they are stirring the pot if u ask me!

That's the d@mn truth~ I hope the race baiters aren't there, IIRC Sharpton is up to 8 deaths which IMO he has blood on his hands for, 1 - Crown Heights  (one death) and 2, - 7 not including the shooter that burned to death in the fire  at Freddies Fashion in Harlem , 4 shot but survived..........just how much is too much for him? ITA with you cookie that I can understand wanting justice, but after a while and countless beatings across the country from those who were incited by the rhetoric, well after a while it leads one to question just what in the he77 the motive truly is......or to me anyway

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #827 on: May 01, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/04/george-zimmerman-could-case-set-precedent.html

George Zimmerman: Could case set precedent?
Trayvon Martin, WESH, WFTV, WKMG — posted by halboedeker on April, 30 2012 6:35 PM

WFTV’s Martie Salt explained that O’Mara wants “to hold off on getting information from the prosecutor until he can ask a judge to keep witnesses’ personal information private. O’Mara said he’s worried if their names become public they could be subject to death threats.”

WKMG’s Gaard Swanson said that O’Mara wrote “he’s worried about making documents public with witness information which could threaten their safety.”   

WESH legal analyst Richard Hornsby said he has never seen a judge keep witnesses’ names confidential. “I think this may be the extraordinary case that creates an exception to the general rule,” Hornsby told Bob Kealing.

WFTV-Channel 9 legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said: ”If this court were to deny access or restrict access to this discovery, it would set a precedent.” 

Kealing noted that Judge Ken Lester seemed “clearly swayed by the notion” that both sides in the case favor keeping the names secret.

Media companies oppose keeping the information confidential. “Clearly this battle line over public information is the next big court battle looming in this case,” Kealing said.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #828 on: May 01, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-case-sparks-task-force-to-look-at-floridas-stand-your-ground-law

George Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin case sparks task force to look at Florida's 'Stand Your Ground' law
Posted: 4:39 AM
Last Updated: 5 hours and 8 minutes ago

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A task force created by Florida Gov. Rick Scott to examine the state's "Stand Your Ground" law in the wake of the Trayvon Martin shooting meets for the first time Tuesday.

Seventeen people will tackle the issue of whether the controversial law should be changed in light of the death of the unarmed teenager.

The task force, whose membership was announced last month, will take testimony at public meetings across the state. The first session will be held in the state capital, Tallahassee.

"We're not walking into this with any preconceived notions," Gov. Rick Scott said at an April 19 news conference. If there are "logical changes to be made," he said, the task force "will provide those."

Recommendations from the group will be passed along to the governor and the Legislature.

The group will review Florida Statute Chapter 776, which deals with justifiable use of force, including the stand your ground provision.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-case-sparks-task-force-to-look-at-floridas-stand-your-ground-law#ixzz1tdBTTXeP
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #829 on: May 01, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/os-george-zimmerman-defense-website-20120430,0,4074860.story

George Zimmerman: Defense enters Twitter, Facebook conversation
By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel
11:07 p.m. CDT, April 30, 2012

Usually, when a teenager is shot in Central Florida, the people of Los Angeles, New York or London don't take to the streets, as they did to protest the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

But Twitter carried the teen's name across the globe. Social media turned a fatal shooting in Sanford into a rallying cry, and helped organize a popular uprising that spread like wildfire. Since, each new development has been analyzed and deconstructed by thousands online.

Now, defense attorneys for George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer charged in the teen's death, have entered the virtual conversation. In an unusual move, Mark O'Mara has started a blog and accompanying Twitter and Facebook accounts to communicate directly with the public.

"This is a brilliant move on his part," says Amy Singer, a Gainesville-based trial consultant. By engaging the public online, "you get a lot of comments, a lot of perspectives, a lot of discussion."

And Singer should know: During the Casey Anthony trial, she analyzed more than 40,000 tweets and comments for Anthony's defense, gauging the public's reaction to various arguments and tactics.
cecilita
Monkey Junky

« Reply #830 on: May 01, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

It is sad too see how GZ had chains aound his wrist like he was a monster...i wish I could see Casey with chains around her wrist after killing sweet caylee... I am waiting for the trial to start and see all the evidence...I feel sorry for Trayvon's family and I also feel sorry for Zimmerman's family (half Peruvian and half American, as a half Peruvian too I can see GZ' mom as my mom, Peruvians are extremely family oriented ...way too much i would say, and I know for them is a torture to see their son being judge before trial
).
 I completely disagree that GZ was racist, I believe that he killed Trayvon in a moment of fear and if his intention was to kill Trayvon, I don't understand why he made the 911 call?

Edit to fix misspelled names.  MB
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:55:37 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #831 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »

It is sad too see how GZ had chains around his wrist like he was a monster...i wish I could see Casey with chains around her wrist after killing sweet caylee... I am waiting for the trial to start and see all the evidence...I feel sorry for Trayvon's family and I also feel sorry for Zimmerman's family (half Peruvian and half American, as a half Peruvian too I can see GZ' mom as my mom, Peruvians are extremely family oriented ...way too much i would say, and I know for them is a torture to see their son being judge before trial
).
 I completely disagree that GZ was racist, I believe that he killed Trayvon in a moment of fear and if his intention was to kill Trayvon, I don't understand why he made the 911 call?
Edit to fix misspelled names.  MB

Very good point cecilita...if he intended on killing Trayvon why would he call 911 in the first place?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:55:15 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #832 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »

Good point Cecilita...

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #833 on: May 01, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »

Fla. task force on self-defense will go to Sanford

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A new Florida task force examining the state's self-defense laws is coming to Sanford.

After much debate, the Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection voted at its first meeting to head to the city where teenager Trayvon Martin was killed.

The group set up by Gov. Rick Scott also plans to meet in Martin's hometown of Miami Gardens.

Martin was shot by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who maintains he acted in self-defense. Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder following weeks of protests.  ::snipping2:: 

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/01/2777808/fla-task-force-on-self-defense.html#storylink=cpy
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #834 on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »

Fla. city where teen killed gets interim chief

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) - The Florida city at the center of the Trayvon Martin case appointed a new interim police chief Tuesday while the current one remains on paid leave after city commissioners rejected his offer to resign last week.

Richard Myers was named interim police chief of the Sanford, Fla., department. He is a former police chief of Colorado Springs, Colo. and has worked for 35 years in law enforcement.

Sanford police chief Bill Lee stepped aside from his job to let emotions cool after Martin's death. The 17-year-old Martin was fatally shot last February by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. Sanford police officers didn't immediately arrest Zimmerman because they said he claimed self-defense under Florida's "stand your ground" law.

The lack of an arrest for 44 days led to protests nationwide about the handling of the racially charged case. A special prosecutor charged Zimmerman last month with second-degree murder. He has been in hiding since his release on $150,000 bond.

Lee and Sanford's city manager had worked out a resignation deal last week but city commissioners rejected it, saying they didn't want to make any decisions until several reviews of how the Martin case was handled are completed. Only a month earlier, city commissioners gave Lee a vote of no confidence.

The Martin case renewed complaints that the Sanford Police Department ignored the concerns of the city's African American community. The city of 53,000 residents is 57 percent white and 30 percent black.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47248427
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #835 on: May 01, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

http://gzlegalcase.com/

Independent Administrator for the George Zimmerman Defense Fund
on 01 May 2012

An independent administrator has been chosen to oversee the George Zimmerman Defense Fund. The third-party administrator is a former IRS agent, and currently works as a CPA with experience managing Chapter 7 Trustee Funds.

The legal defense fund, as initially envisioned by George Zimmerman, as stated on his now-closed website, was set up to provide for living expenses and to fund costs and legal fees associated with his defense. This will also be the purpose of the new legal defense fund.

The fund's administrator will have sole discretion regarding the dispersal of funds, and guidelines will be put in place to define reasonable living expenses for Mr. Zimmerman and his family and to fund necessary legal expenses. Neither Mr. Zimmerman nor The O’Mara Law Group will have direct access to the funds.

There will be a strict level of confidentiality regarding those who donate to the George Zimmerman Defense Fund as their active donating is regarded as a private event and does not open them to public scrutiny.

While we are recommending a level of transparency regarding the use of these funds, that transparency is most appropriately afforded to the donors, as they are the source of the funds utilized.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #836 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/judge-orders-some-states-evidence-be-made-public-g/nNNhD/

Posted: 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, May 1, 2012
George Zimmerman case: Judge orders to unseal some of state's evidence

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. —

The Seminole County judge overseeing George Zimmerman’s murder trial has ordered some of the state's evidence against the accused killer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin to be made public.

That means the public could soon learn more about what kind of case prosecutors have against Zimmerman.

Judge Kenneth Lester ordered the court file unsealed and that order was made public on Monday.

WFTV's legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the file could include information like the probable cause affidavit and investigative reports.

However, the names and addresses of all of the state's witnesses won’t be released because Lester has ordered that to be taken out.         
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #837 on: May 01, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-01/news/os-george-zimmerman-gag-order-revisited-20120501_1_gag-order-second-degree-murder-special-prosecutor

Zimmerman judge: No gag order
4:48 p.m. EST, May 1, 2012|
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel

The judge in the George Zimmerman second-degree murder case has issued a written order, saying there's no need for a gag order on defense attorney Mark O'Mara, but he also warned that one could be imposed if attorneys in the case say or write anything that's prejudicial.

The two-page order was made public Tuesday. It was signed Monday.

Seminole Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. announced at a hearing Friday that there was no need for a gag order. The written order makes official what he said from the bench.
---------------------

http://www.flcourts18.org/presspublic.html

05-01-12  Order on Matters Addressed at April 27, 2012 Hearing
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #838 on: May 01, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/os-george-zimmerman-defense-website-20120430,0,4074860.story

George Zimmerman: Defense enters Twitter, Facebook conversation
By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel
11:07 p.m. CDT, April 30, 2012

Usually, when a teenager is shot in Central Florida, the people of Los Angeles, New York or London don't take to the streets, as they did to protest the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

But Twitter carried the teen's name across the globe. Social media turned a fatal shooting in Sanford into a rallying cry, and helped organize a popular uprising that spread like wildfire. Since, each new development has been analyzed and deconstructed by thousands online.

Now, defense attorneys for George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer charged in the teen's death, have entered the virtual conversation. In an unusual move, Mark O'Mara has started a blog and accompanying Twitter and Facebook accounts to communicate directly with the public.

"This is a brilliant move on his part," says Amy Singer, a Gainesville-based trial consultant. By engaging the public online, "you get a lot of comments, a lot of perspectives, a lot of discussion."

And Singer should know: During the Casey Anthony trial, she analyzed more than 40,000 tweets and comments for Anthony's defense, gauging the public's reaction to various arguments and tactics.

Didn't O'Mara say something like he won't discuss this case in the media? But the social media outlets are okay???  As we saw with the CA trial, by the time they got to jury selection, there were only 15 people to select out of possible hundreds.....all due to the DT going public.  I too am waiting for facts to come out.....but it sure would be nice to "feel" as if there would be a fair trial in this case.  I have doubts.

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #839 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »

I have doubts Tupes!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.