March 19, 2024, 04:01:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JSM's BEGGING FOR BANNING #31 3/25/12 - 5/20/13  (Read 1443686 times)
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #600 on: April 20, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »

Our ground is so full of tree roots and stone that we cannot get a decent garden to grow in it.

This year, we are trying a raised bed with cinder blocks to grow tomatoes.

I have petunias and marigolds in the holes of the blocks and will fill in the other holes with parsley and basil as soon as they are ready to transplant. I am growing them from seed and they are not quite ready to transplant yet.

Have some more tomato plants and pepper plants in another raised bed that we made several years ago with timbers. Am curious to see how this cinder block idea works out. Wink

Just wanted to share Wink

Just ran across this "other use" for cinder blocks on pinterest! LOL

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #601 on: April 20, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

Brandi,

I love your garden. I might have to just give in and do one myself.  Hubs has always been the yard guy for us. That was his relaxation after work. Didn't want to take that away from him.  But since his eye surgeries he can't handle the light and still can't see well. So I guess if I want a garden I will have to do it.

Love the picture of the puppies an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #602 on: April 21, 2012, 03:40:06 AM »

Brandi,

I love your garden. I might have to just give in and do one myself.  Hubs has always been the yard guy for us. That was his relaxation after work. Didn't want to take that away from him.  But since his eye surgeries he can't handle the light and still can't see well. So I guess if I want a garden I will have to do it.

Love the picture of the puppies an angelic monkey

Thanks for your positive comments, Green Eyes and TBM.

I have always grown some kind of garden wherever I have lived in my adult life, and as the years roll by, I find myself more interested each year. I just love fresh vegetables and herbs that I have grown myself.

Sorry your hubby cannot garden anymore, Green Eyes, I bet he really misses it. But I do recommend you plant something to eat and watch grow if you can. It's downright fun!

I planted the tomatoes and peppers a little early for our zone, taking a gamble on the weather. I now see that we are expecting a low of 37 Monday and Tuesday night. A little too close for comfort for me. May have to cover all of them those nights.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #603 on: April 21, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »

Our ground is so full of tree roots and stone that we cannot get a decent garden to grow in it.

This year, we are trying a raised bed with cinder blocks to grow tomatoes.

I have petunias and marigolds in the holes of the blocks and will fill in the other holes with parsley and basil as soon as they are ready to transplant. I am growing them from seed and they are not quite ready to transplant yet.

Have some more tomato plants and pepper plants in another raised bed that we made several years ago with timbers. Am curious to see how this cinder block idea works out. Wink

Just wanted to share Wink

Just ran across this "other use" for cinder blocks on pinterest! LOL
It's very nice.  I used to have a book called "Square Foot Gardening" . . . as I used raised beds for a long time.
We're due for some cooler temps here too Brandi the first of the week.  My friend Dennis has already planted tomatoes as they were getting to tall for his hot box and is also talking about cover his plants.  The pepper plants in the hot box are getting big now.
Think I will do more flowers this summer as an outlet for myself.  Nothing as good as digging in the dirt to ease the soul.

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #604 on: April 21, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »

Bearly, thank you, yes things went well with us at the various appointments and we did get to stop and see Mom and have some lemonade and banana nut bread.
I had a total meltdown on Monday and have not recovered from it yet.  Simply put, just plain overwhelmed with everything.  The sound advice from everyone about taking time for yourself is so true, but very hard to do.  It does catch up with you t ::MonkeyAngel::hough.  Doing a lot of sighing right now.

an angelic monkey
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #605 on: April 21, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »

Good morning monkeys.
Slowly recovering from meltdown . . . had several long walks (thanks for the suggestion 4Donks) and feeling somewhat better.
Excited about Sunday . . . doing 3 (count em 3) baptisms.  Have only done one at a time before so this should prove interesting!
Hope everyone has a good day.

Love the babies at baptisms and seeing the pride on their parents faces.
When I was a kid at Sunday School, held during the services, we were aways marched up
to sit in the church to see the baptisms.  So cute.   an angelic monkey
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #606 on: April 21, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »

Afternoon Monkeys,

Just heard from Trimm  She ask me to tell all of you She hopes everyone has a good day. She doesn't have very good service for her Droid. But she was going to try and read from time to time.  She is hanging in there and misses everyone.   

Thanks GE - Hi Trimmy!   
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #607 on: April 21, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »

Good morning Monkeys!

Trim - good to see you!   

Bearly - Glad you find some comfort here.   an angelic monkey

Thanks, Can, I hope others do, too.  Right now I am helping Bart's Mom try to find out what plane she is going on for the 20th time, she is leaving in 2 days.  Alcoholism is a very serious disease and I can see why it alienates people.  Do they all live in the past?  Do they all keep recounting over and over things that happened in their past?  Do they not have a present?

Hi bearly.  Hope your friend gets the help she needs. Apparently numerous rehabs are not uncommon.  I hope this one sticks.

Having a relative who has alienated herself from the family I would have to say she lives in the past.  When she calls, which is less and less over the years she cries and recalls the same old issues of her childhood.  It's as though she is frozen in time. 

My pleadings and offers of assistance have fallen on deaf ears.  She has had blackouts where she was rushed to the hospital, found in the nick of time by a boyfriend or a landlord.

It's sad.   Her father has reached the point where he fears the worst. 

It seems that her 'present' is her love affair with booze.      
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #608 on: April 21, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »

Good morning Monkeys!

Trim - good to see you!   

Thanks, Can, I hope others do, too.  Right now I am helping Bart's Mom try to find out what plane she is going on for the 20th time, she is leaving in 2 days.  Alcoholism is a very serious disease and I can see why it alienates people.  Do they all live in the past?  Do they all keep recounting over and over things that happened in their past?  Do they not have a present?

Hi bearly.  Hope your friend gets the help she needs. Apparently numerous rehabs are not uncommon.  I hope this one sticks.

Having a relative who has alienated herself from the family I would have to say she lives in the past.  When she calls, which is less and less over the years she cries and recalls the same old issues of her childhood.  It's as though she is frozen in time. 

My pleadings and offers of assistance have fallen on deaf ears.  She has had blackouts where she was rushed to the hospital, found in the nick of time by a boyfriend or a landlord.

Hey guys - I was quiet on this for a bit to think about it. As a disclosure -I am a recovered alcoholic - almost 7 years sober. It is a baffling and sad issue. The simple fact is that rehabs and such do not work on the real deal. That is because booze is only a symptom of our problem. What it really comes down to is a spiritual sickness. Most of us, at some point, want to quit but we can not. It is very much like having diarrhea and being told not to go. You really want to follow the instruction but you just can not. No reason in the world or any pleading from anyone you love can change the fact that you can not stop on your own. I know - I wanted to - I needed to - I had good support to quit - but I could not. I was baffled. Finally, I accepted defeat and went to AA - there I learned that with God's help I could stop and stay stopped. It work, if the person is willing to do anything to recover. My personal belief is that rehabs want to help, but they want to make money too. And since they can not mention the "God" word at the risk of offending someone, they are at a disadvantage.

So I will now crawl off the soap box. Please know that I am praying for all the people affected by alcoholism - both the alcoholic and the circle of destruction around them.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #609 on: April 21, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »

Well Good for you TBM. That is wonderful. Congratulations on being sober for 7 years. No need to slink off. Thank you for sharing with us.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #610 on: April 21, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »

You all rock!
What a bunch of neat people on this board!

Love the garden idea Brandi..my DIL does a raised garden every year with timbers..she has amazing results just as I know that u will!
 Have a blessed weekend everyone!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #611 on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »

Good morning Monkeys!

Trim - good to see you!   

Hey guys - I was quiet on this for a bit to think about it. As a disclosure -I am a recovered alcoholic - almost 7 years sober. It is a baffling and sad issue. The simple fact is that rehabs and such do not work on the real deal. That is because booze is only a symptom of our problem. What it really comes down to is a spiritual sickness. Most of us, at some point, want to quit but we can not. It is very much like having diarrhea and being told not to go. You really want to follow the instruction but you just can not. No reason in the world or any pleading from anyone you love can change the fact that you can not stop on your own. I know - I wanted to - I needed to - I had good support to quit - but I could not. I was baffled. Finally, I accepted defeat and went to AA - there I learned that with God's help I could stop and stay stopped. It work, if the person is willing to do anything to recover. My personal belief is that rehabs want to help, but they want to make money too. And since they can not mention the "God" word at the risk of offending someone, they are at a disadvantage.

So I will now crawl off the soap box. Please know that I am praying for all the people affected by alcoholism - both the alcoholic and the circle of destruction around them.
TBM, thank you for sharing from the sacred part of your heart.  My father was an alcoholic and he too, by the grace of God, recovered.  Unfortunately, it was after he had destroyed our family, but we survived and God blessed us in other ways.  During the later years of his life, I took care of him and we grew to love one another again.  I miss him every day.
Proud of you and encouraged by your thoughts.  Blessings.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #612 on: April 21, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »

So many wonderful people on here willing to share their stories to help others.  God bless each monkey until they can sip from the saucer!

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #613 on: April 22, 2012, 12:23:10 AM »

You all rock!

Love the garden idea Brandi..my DIL does a raised garden every year with timbers..she has amazing results just as I know that u will!

Thanks, Cookie!

Planted cukes and squash today in a different bed. Found an old strawberry jar in the back I had forgotten about and brought it around front and planted bright pink Impatiens in the holes and top. Should look real nice when they fill out. And they do!

BTW .. I finished your avatar last week: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=4314.msg1518684#msg1518684

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #614 on: April 22, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »

Good morning Monkeys!

Trim - good to see you!   

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
 an angelic monkey

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #615 on: April 22, 2012, 09:26:42 AM »

You all rock!

Thanks, Cookie!

Planted cukes and squash today in a different bed. Found an old strawberry jar in the back I had forgotten about and brought it around front and planted bright pink Impatiens in the holes and top. Should look real nice when they fill out. And they do!

BTW .. I finished your avatar last week: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=4314.msg1518684#msg1518684

Thanks...I will change over today sometime hopefully..

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #616 on: April 22, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »

http://isp.netscape.com/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=fte/chocolatethinner/chocolatethinner

Good News 

Will Chocolate Help You Stay Slim?

::snipping2::

Adults who ate chocolate on more days of the week than not were actually thinner with a lower body mass index than those who consumed chocolate less frequently,

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #617 on: April 22, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »

http://isp.netscape.com/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=fte/chocolatethinner/chocolatethinner

Good News 

Will Chocolate Help You Stay Slim?

::snipping2::

Adults who ate chocolate on more days of the week than not were actually thinner with a lower body mass index than those who consumed chocolate less frequently,

Thank goodness! I should be a skinny person in no time!! LOL

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #618 on: April 23, 2012, 02:54:08 AM »

Good evening, everybody!  I don't usually post here as it's all I can do most days to just catch up on the Missing threads. LOL! The discussion on alcoholics living in the past reminded me of something I read recently.  In a nutshell, they've done some recent studies on alcoholics, alcoholism, and brain development.  They discovered that the age at which a person begins heavily drinking matters. In layman's terms, the alcohol usage actually changes the brain's chemistry and physiology (physical design). It stunts the person's emotional maturity and they will more than likely be forever that age emotionally and mentally. I forgot that little tidbit when I recently went to an elderly relative's milestone birthday party. As a child, I was often drug along to family parties, with the grown-ups drinking and drunk in the backyard and the minor children (from babies up) along for the ride. We were often left to entertain ourselves (the just-don't bother-us mentality). All the parties ended the exact same way, drunken grown-ups and huge blowouts.  When we finally got old enough to have a voice and a choice, we chose to stay home.

So, having recently seen these same relatives at a local reunion behaving very well and wanting to honor my elderly aunt, I went to her birthday party. I assumed they'd finally outgrown the high school party hardy mentality. Not! It was my childhood nightmare all over again and more.  I literally saw how my aunts & uncles had passed down this curse to their children (my cousins) and the cousins were in the process of passing it down to the next generation.  None of those parents were looking out for their children at a hotel full of strangers in a strange town-and it was perfectly normal for them! The party had been booked at that restaurant apparently because it had a bar adjoining the conference room and a hotel across the parking lot (cuts down on DUI's). Had there been a fire in the hotel that night, they and their children would have died-they'd have been in no condition to get them out. The family was horribly loud, children running around unsupervised all night, we had to wait for family members to get back from the bar before we could sing, cut the cake, and open presents-it was total chaos.  Then of course, the inevitable tempers flared and yelling matches ensued. What a way to honor the oldest sister/Mom/Grandma/Great Grandma/Aunt/Great Aunt! She was rightfully hurt and angry too. Long story short, the alcoholics in our family have never grown up. Emotionally and physiologically, they are stuck at 17-18 years old (no offense to all the responsible and wiser 17-18 yr olds out there).  It was my last family event on that side (minus funerals).  That's one family tradition I/we won't be passing down. That doesn't mean I don't love them-I just won't be joining them.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #619 on: April 23, 2012, 03:27:25 AM »

theboyzmom- You are one courageous person! Thank you for sharing. More power to you! 

If only there was some way we could get people to see that alcoholism is like fishing. The bait is the alcohol company (Busch, Miller, Coors, Absolut, Jack Daniels,Guinness, etc.) ad campaigns featuring pretty young girls living it up with handsome, well-built guys, the celebrity endorsements, and the frat/sorority party scene on almost every college campus. The message being "You can be __________ (popular, pretty, macho, sexy, adult, relaxed, cool, "in", etc.) if you drink our beer/wine/vodka/whiskey.".  It all looks so fun and innocent.  After all, no one ever gets hurt in a single commercial or ad.  The bait is cast and the fish are hooked before they know what hit them.  They often spend the rest of their not-so-fun lives struggling to be free and sometimes it becomes a life or death struggle.

Truth In Advertising should require alcohol companies to graphically show drunk driving deaths, Emergency Rooms on Friday and Saturday nights, users vomiting, the abused children, the aftermath of date rapes/party rapes/frat party rapes, and liver damage on their commercials and their packaging...all the dirty little secrets behind the "glamour". If we're going to make cigarette companies put graphic warnings on their labels, shouldn't the same rules apply to alcohol companies?  Far more lives are lost, damaged, and permanently altered due to alcoholism than cigarettes.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.