March 28, 2024, 10:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Manson now 77 yo, up for 12th parole hearing-DENIED  (Read 11451 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: April 05, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/charles-manson-now-77-gets-new-chance-at-parole.html?track=lat-pick
Charles Manson, now 77, gets new chance at parole
April 5, 2012

After 11 failed bids for freedom, notorious killer Charles Manson, now 77, is up for parole later this month.

The parole board rejected his bid in 2007, saying Manson [For the record, 9:42 a.m. April 5: An earlier version of this post incorrectly gave the killer's last name as Mason.] "continues to pose an unreasonable danger to others and may still bring harm to anyone he would come in contact with."

Manson refused to participate in that hearing, describing himself as a "prisoner of the political system." He also declined to participate in any psychological evaluations in 2007.
 ::snipping2::
See photos at link.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:24:05 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jHcCkX6AEy-EdTDVRjYOdewXfGMg?docId=199d87f0b5074499a46982742a8d5b8e
Manson likely a no-show for his parole hearing
By LINDA DEUTSCH, Associated Press
April 11, 2012

CORCORAN, Calif. (AP) — Debra Tate hopes that Wednesday is the last time she has to walk into a prison holding Charles Manson and argue in front of a parole board panel that he should not be freed.

For four decades the sister of murdered actress Sharon Tate has traveled to whatever rural California prison has held the notorious cult leader and his band of murderous followers for hearings she says are too numerous to count.

"I've tried to take this thing that I do, that has become my lot in life, and make it have purpose," says the 59-year-old Tate, who was 17 in August 1969, when Manson sent his minions across LA on two nights of terror. "I've been doing it for Sharon and the other victims of him for the last 40 years."

The parole hearing at Corcoran State Prison in Central California, Manson's 12th, could be the last one for the aging mass murderer. Manson, now a gray-bearded, 77-year-old, has sent word that he doesn't plan to attend what might be his final chance to ask for freedom.

Under current law, inmates can be denied the chance to reapply for parole for up to 15 years. Another rejection could make Manson 92 before he would get another opportunity to make his case.

"At his age, I think he doesn't care," said Deputy District Attorney Patrick Sequeira, who will argue Wednesday against Manson's release. "He would be lost if he got out. He's completely institutionalized."

Manson could change his mind and attend the hearing if he has something to say, but he has not appeared since 1997. His most recent hearing was in 2007.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »

Sounds to me like Charles Manson needs to stay in prison for the rest of his life.  And how is getting access to cell phones? 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-la-lanews-charles-mansons-psychologica-20120410,0,7921883.story
Charles Manson should move to mental hospital, attorney says
April 11, 2012

ass murderer Charles Manson should be moved from prison to a mental hospital, his attorney said.

A parole board will meet Wednesday to determine whether Manson should be set free, the 12th such hearing since he was sent to prison.

The board will review psychological reports and statements of victims. A decision is expected by late Wednesday afternoon.

Attorney DeJon R. Lewis said he would like to see Manson transferred to Atascadero State Hospital from the state prison near Corcoran. "Charles Manson does not need incarceration at this point in his life," Lewis told CNN. "He needs hospitalization."

So far, Manson has said he will not be showing up for this parole hearing, but an attorney for him will be present.

Manson, 77, has not attended a parole hearing since 1997.
Twice in the last few years, Corcoran guards said they found the notorious killer in possession of a cellphone. Manson called people in California, New Jersey and Florida with an LG flip phone discovered under his prison bunk in March 2009, The Times reported in 2011. A second phone was found a year later. Thirty days were added to his sentence for the first offense, officials said.

Earlier, a homemade weapon was found in his possession.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »

Sounds to me like Charles Manson needs to stay in prison for the rest of his life.  And how is getting access to cell phones? 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-la-lanews-charles-mansons-psychologica-20120410,0,7921883.story
Charles Manson should move to mental hospital, attorney says
April 11, 2012

ass murderer Charles Manson should be moved from prison to a mental hospital, his attorney said.

A parole board will meet Wednesday to determine whether Manson should be set free, the 12th such hearing since he was sent to prison.

The board will review psychological reports and statements of victims. A decision is expected by late Wednesday afternoon.

Attorney DeJon R. Lewis said he would like to see Manson transferred to Atascadero State Hospital from the state prison near Corcoran. "Charles Manson does not need incarceration at this point in his life," Lewis told CNN. "He needs hospitalization."

So far, Manson has said he will not be showing up for this parole hearing, but an attorney for him will be present.

Manson, 77, has not attended a parole hearing since 1997.
Twice in the last few years, Corcoran guards said they found the notorious killer in possession of a cellphone. Manson called people in California, New Jersey and Florida with an LG flip phone discovered under his prison bunk in March 2009, The Times reported in 2011. A second phone was found a year later. Thirty days were added to his sentence for the first offense, officials said.

Earlier, a homemade weapon was found in his possession.

And that should've earned him more than 30 days and nixed any parole hearing.  What is wrong with the system?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »

Hey Charlie!! Who cares if you boycott your parole hearing?  There's not a snowball's chance in Hades  you'll be paroled and you know it, so why bother!  It's a shame  the victims or the families of victims and representatives must endure another hearing though. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-mass-murderer-charles-manson-boycotts-parole-hearing/story?id=16111128
Mass Murderer Charles Manson Boycotts Parole Hearing
April 11, 2012
Serial killer Charles Manson, 77, is shown in this booking photo, released April 4, 2012. (California Department of Corrections/AP Photo)

Manson has been denied parole 11 times over the years and his several violations of prison rules over the past five years do not bode well for any hopes of freedom.

Manson is serving a life sentence for seven murders in a 1969 killing spree in Los Angeles.

True to form, Manson boycotted.

"He has not shown up for several of his latest hearings, since 1997," Calif. Department of Corrections spokesman Luis Patino told ABCNews.com before the hearing began. "He told his counselor that he did not plan on attending."

Manson has been less than a model inmate. He has violated several rules in the five years since his last parole hearing, Calif. Department of Corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton told ABCNews.com.

He has been caught in possession of a weapon, threatened a peace officer, and has been caught twice with contraband cell phones in the past three years, Thornton said.
Manson placed calls and messaged people in California, New Jersey, Florida, British Columbia, and elsewhere, Thornton said. The incidents, in 2009 and 2011, are still under investigation and Thornton could not comment on how he obtained the phones.

Those present for the hearing will include a commissioner, deputy commissioner, attorneys for both sides and family members of Manson's victims.
Debra Tate, the sister of murdered actress Sharon Tate, is attending the hearing, Patino said.

Attorneys from both sides will give presentations and read any documents by victims' relatives or other interested parties. They will also go over Manson's prison records.
Manson was convicted of seven counts of first degree murder for a 1969 killing spree in Los Angeles. The killings included the fatal stabbing of five people in Tate's home, and the murders of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca.

Manson was sentenced to death when he was found guilty, but the sentence was modified in 1977 to "life in prison with the possibility of parole, after a 1972 ruling by the California Supreme Court that determined the state's death penalty statute at the time was unconstitutional," according to the California Department of Corrections.

Several members of Manson's "family" have been released from prison in recent years.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/11/justice/california-charles-manson/
Charles Manson denied parole, with next parole hearing set for 2027
By Michael Martinez, CNN
April 11, 2012

Corcoran, California (CNN) -- Notorious killer Charles Manson, 77, was denied parole Wednesday after a California parole panel "could find nothing good as far as suitability" for his being paroled, a commissioner said.

Manson didn't show up for his parole hearing, held at a state prison in Corcoran, California, where he is serving a life sentence.

Manson's next parole hearing was scheduled 15 years from now, meaning he could die in prison.

California Board of Parole Hearings Commissioner John Peck said that Manson has accumulated 108 serious disciplinary violations in prison since 1971, and that he has shown no indication of remorse for his nine murder convictions.

Manson hasn't participated in any self-help programs or vocational training, Peck said. Manson also hasn't shown any parole plans, Peck said.

Peck also cited Manson's statement to a psychologist in a prison interview on November 2, 2011, in which Manson stated:

"I am special. I am not like the average inmate. I have put five people in the grave. I've been in prison most of my life. I'm a very dangerous man," Manson told the psychologist, according to a report read aloud by Peck during the hearing.

Those statements marked a change from Manson's past denials of having murdered nine people in 1969 and the statements showed some insight into his crimes, Peck said, reading from the report.

But two-member parole panel still found the statements troubling, denying him parole and scheduling his next hearing 15 years from now, the maximum allowed under law, Peck said.

That would put Manson at age 92 for his next hearing, unless he petitions the board for an earlier hearing.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »

I'm glad the parole panel did the right thing. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »

Me too, KittyMom.  We have enough crazy, cold blooded killers on the loose without letting one we've already captured back out into the public.  I'm really concerned that Charles Manson was found with cell phones twice.  Even though he's in prison, no telling what kind of trouble he could stir up using a cell phone.    

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »

Me too, KittyMom.  We have enough crazy, cold blooded killers on the loose without letting one we've already captured back out into the public.  I'm really concerned that Charles Manson was found with cell phones twice.  Even though he's in prison, no telling what kind of trouble he could stir up using a cell phone.    
I'd like to know who's giving that fruitcake a phone?  I mean really?  It's got to be a guard.  So how is Mr. Swastika-my-face paying for such 'services'?  And who is he talking to????  What kind of twisted fool sits around waiting for Charlie to buzz? 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »

I'd like to know who's giving that fruitcake a phone?  I mean really?  It's got to be a guard.  So how is Mr. Swastika-my-face paying for such 'services'?  And who is he talking to????  What kind of twisted fool sits around waiting for Charlie to buzz? 

Yep, I hear what you're sayin'.

I venture to think someone from outside the prison is providing the cell phones and money for the guard to give Manson the phones.  Could it be people that are going to write a book?  Or is it crazy bad people like Manson himself?  I'm sure all the numbers Manson called on those phones were traced back.  The article notes cities where he called, but it doesn't say to whom the calls were made.  Why would anyone support Charles Manson?     Maybe the same type that make offers of marriage to Scott Peterson?  As I said, maybe they're writing a book, or maybe they like the thrill of being connected with someone so deranged.  Maybe they're still followers.  Hard for me to say, because to know, you would have to think like that, and I don't think I fit the bill (at least not that I know of )

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »

Me too!

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »

Yep, I hear what you're sayin'.

I venture to think someone from outside the prison is providing the cell phones and money for the guard to give Manson the phones.  Could it be people that are going to write a book?  Or is it crazy bad people like Manson himself?  I'm sure all the numbers Manson called on those phones were traced back.  The article notes cities where he called, but it doesn't say to whom the calls were made.  Why would anyone support Charles Manson?     Maybe the same type that make offers of marriage to Scott Peterson?  As I said, maybe they're writing a book, or maybe they like the thrill of being connected with someone so deranged.  Maybe they're still followers.  Hard for me to say, because to know, you would have to think like that, and I don't think I fit the bill (at least not that I know of )
lol...I don't think you think like that either.   You would think that LE could press charges against those persons on the outside helping this freakshow.  Does a guard have to be hurt before something is done?  If its someone hoping to make a buck, I hope they fall flat on their faces.  That's a terrible way to make a dollar.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/us/03prisoners.html?pagewanted=all
Outlawed, Cellphones Are Thriving in Prisons

“The smartphone is the most lethal weapon you can get inside a prison,” said Terry L. Bittner, director of security products with the ITT Corporation, one of a handful of companies that create cellphone-detection systems for prisons. “The smartphone is the equivalent of the old Swiss Army knife. You can do a lot of other things with it.”
Even closely watched prisoners are sneaking phones in. Last month, California prison guards said they had found a flip phone under Charles Manson’s mattress.

The logical solution would be to keep all cellphones out of prison. But that is a war that is being lost, corrections officials say. Prisoners agree.

“Almost everybody has a phone,” said Mike, 33, an inmate at Smith State Prison in Georgia who, like other prisoners interviewed for this article, asked that his full name not be used for fear of retaliation. “Almost every phone is a smartphone. Almost everybody with a smartphone has a Facebook.”

Cellphones are prohibited in all state and federal prisons in the United States, often even for top corrections officials. Punishment for a prisoner found with one varies. In some states, it is an infraction that affects parole or time off for good behavior. In others, it results in new criminal charges.

President Obama signed a law in August making possession of a phone or a wireless device in a federal prison a felony, punishable by up to a year of extra sentencing.

Still, they get in. By the thousands. In the first four months of 2010, Federal Bureau of Prisons workers confiscated 1,188 cellphones, according to Senator Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat who sponsored the federal measure. In California last year, officers discovered nearly 9,000 phones.

Payments for cellphones range from $300 to $1,000, depending on the type of phone and the service plan. Monthly fees are generally paid by inmates’ relatives. Phones are smuggled in by guards, visitors and inmates convicted of misdemeanors with lower security restrictions.

But that is not the only way. In South Carolina, where most prisons are rural and staff members have to pass through X-ray machines and metal detectors, smugglers resort to an old-fashioned method — tossing phones over fences.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »

http://www.13wmaz.com/rss/article/153170/153/Telfair-State-Prison-Dorms-on-Lockdown-After-Fight

Telfair Prison Fight Blamed on 'Illegal Cell Phones'

I know folks working in this prison.  This lockdown made the news.  The other two didn't.  All were caused by inmates fighting over phones.  Later, they arrested 3 women for standing outside the fence and throwing cells over for inmates/guards to retrieve later.  This prison is overrun with gangs. 

I don't know anything about the prison with CM is in, but can you imagine if he is a gang leader in there?  Yikes!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

Me too, KittyMom.  We have enough crazy, cold blooded killers on the loose without letting one we've already captured back out into the public.  I'm really concerned that Charles Manson was found with cell phones twice.  Even though he's in prison, no telling what kind of trouble he could stir up using a cell phone.    
I'd like to know who's giving that fruitcake a phone?  I mean really?  It's got to be a guard.  So how is Mr. Swastika-my-face paying for such 'services'?  And who is he talking to????  What kind of twisted fool sits around waiting for Charlie to buzz?  

I just found an article that may explain who is helping Charles Manson:  "...white supremacists enamored with murders Manson orchestrated to incite a race war dubbed "Helter Skelter."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/15/women-linked-by-manson-murders-form-odd-friendship/
Women linked by Manson murders form odd friendship
April 15, 2012

CORCORAN, Calif. –  On August 9, 1969, two naive 17-year-old girls were launched on a path that led to the unlikeliest of friendships.

That infamous night, four young people under the sway of a charismatic career criminal slipped into a neighborhood of Hollywood glitterati, then bludgeoned and stabbed rising young actress Sharon Tate, coffee heiress Abigail Folger and two others. Across town the next night, the band killed again.

The name Charles Manson quickly became a synonym for unimaginable evil, which nobody knows better than Debra Tate, Sharon's little sister, and Barbara Hoyt, the Manson family member whose testimony helped put the killers in prison.

"We've got a lot in common," said Hoyt, now a retired nurse. "She has been a big help to me."

"She makes sure I am holding my head up high," Tate said, "and I do the same for her."

Now both about 60, a Manson family member and the last living Tate family member have bonded in their long quest to keep those responsible behind bars. Both have testified repeatedly at Manson's parole hearings. Both say they still get threats from the cult killer's supporters — mostly white supremacists enamored with murders Manson orchestrated to incite a race war dubbed "Helter Skelter."

Even now not a day passes without Hoyt dwelling on the suffering Manson and her former comrades inflicted and on the widespread terror that ensued.

"We are completely linked by this event whether we want to be or not," she said of Debra Tate, who now runs a crime victims group. "She understands me, and I understand where she's coming from."

Hoyt never committed a crime for Manson, and her testimony helped send the cult leader and four followers to death row in 1971. The following year, when the California Supreme Court ruled the death penalty unconstitutional, their new life terms made them eligible for a while for annual parole consideration.

That is when the lives of Barbara Hoyt and Debra Tate began to intertwine.
More...

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »

I hope Hoyt & Tate are done with these parole hearings.  They've spent a lifetime reliving this nightmare.  Enough is enough.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/26/charles-manson-follower-tries-to-smuggle-phone-to-cult-leader-in-prison/
Charles Manson follower tries to smuggle phone to cult leader in prison
March 26, 2013

CORCORAN, CALIF. –  A follower of Charles Manson has been arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle a cell phone inside a California prison where the mass murderer is housed, authorities said Tuesday.

Craig Carlisle Hammond, 63, was arrested Sunday for investigation of conspiracy, possession of an illegal communication device and attempting to bring a cell phone into a prison, said Terry Thornton, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections.

He was taken to jail and was released after posting bail. He is scheduled to be in court next month.

Hammond had a wrist watch cell phone that was found by a correctional officer at Corcoran State Prison in an area where the device is prohibited, authorities said. The phone never got into Manson's hands.

However, the notorious cult leader who is serving a life sentence for orchestrating a series of gruesome murders more than 40 years ago has been caught with a smuggled cell phone twice in the past four years.

In 2009, Manson was found with a phone and he had been calling and texting people in California, Florida, New Jersey and British Columbia. Two years ago, he also was found with a phone.

Recent legislation in California makes it a misdemeanor to smuggle a cell phone into a prison, punishable by a fine of up to $5,000.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

http://www.eonline.com/news/598705/sorry-ladies-charles-manson-80-got-a-license-to-marry-a-26-year-old-woman-who-s-been-visiting-him-in-prison
Sorry, Ladies! Charles Manson, 80, Got a License to Marry a 26-Year-old Woman Who's Been Visiting Him in Prison
November 17, 2014

Charles Manson is off the market. What a crime.
The 80-year-old mass murderer, imprisoned since 1970 after being convicted of masterminding the brutal killings of actress Sharon Tate and six others, has obtained a marriage license that will allow him to tie the knot with 26-year-old Afton Elaine Burton.
The license was issued Nov. 7, according to public records, and is good for 90 days. If the time expires, the lovebirds will have to apply for another one.
Burton, who moved from the Midwest to California to be closer to Manson, has reportedly been visiting him for at least nine years. She said in an interview this week that the wedding "is going to happen" and would have happened sooner if her fiancé hadn't had "some situations" at the prison.
According to a spokesperson for the California Department of Corrections, Manson had three violations in February: possession of a weapon, refusal to give a urine sample and threatening staff.
Manson and "Family" members Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkle and Tex Watson were originally sentenced to death for the Tate-LaBianca murders, but their sentences were commuted to life in prison in 1972 when California briefly abolished the death penalty.
In the wee hours of Aug. 9, Atkins, Krenwinkle and Watson killed a pregnant Tate and her friends Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger and Wojciech Frykowski at Tate's rented house in Benedict Canyon, as well as a young man, Steven Parent, who was on the property to visit the home's caretaker. The next night, the same group, plus Leslie Van Houten and Steve "Clem" Grogan, killed Leno and Rosemary LaBianca at their home in Los Feliz.

Manson isn't allowed conjugal visits, but he and Burton can have 10 non-inmate guests at their nuptials. Burton, who has stated her belief in her man's innocence, said that the wedding will be sometime next month.
But as creepy as it might seem, Manson—who was denied parole for the 12th time in 2012 and won't be up for it again until 2027—certainly isn't the first convicted murderer to win a woman or man over from the confines of prison. Heck, he's not even the first member of his Family.
Susan Atkins, who died of cancer in 2009, married twice while behind bars and had been with her second husband for nearly 22 years when she passed. It's unclear if Watson was married already when he went to prison, but he and his wife (they divorced in 2003) had three kids thanks to conjugal visits.
Grogan was released from prison in 1985, the only person convicted in the Manson Family's murderous two-night spree to be granted parole.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 08:56:41 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/charles-manson-marriage-license-expire-without-wedding-n298936
Charles Manson Marriage License to Expire Without a Wedding
February 2, 2015

FRESNO, Calif. — A 26-year-old woman with the nickname Star who says she is going to marry 80-year-old mass murderer Charles Manson will have to wait a while longer.

Afton Elaine Burton and Manson got a marriage license last year to stage a wedding inside a visiting room at California State Prison, Corcoran.

However, it expires Thursday, meaning they missed their chance to tie the knot over the weekend, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokesman Jeffrey Callison said Monday.

Wedding are not held through the week at the prison.

If the wedding is ever going to happen, the couple must register for a new Kings County marriage license.

Burton, who says she loves Manson, left her home In Illinois and has spent the last nine years living near the Central California prison.

Manson was convicted of killing seven people, including pregnant actress Sharon Tate, the wife of director Roman Polanski.

Burton, who maintains websites espousing Manson's innocence, has not responded to recent requests seeking comment on the relationship. Shortly after obtaining the license, she told The Associated Press the nuptials were imminent: "Y'all can know that it's true," she said in November. "It's going to happen."

The expiring license indicates that Burton intends to take Manson's last name, if they are married.

James McGrath, a New York City photo agency editor, said he maintains contact with Burton and she intends to obtain another 90-day license and go ahead with the marriage.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.