April 16, 2024, 03:29:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salmonella in Cat and Dog Food Sickens 14 People in US  (Read 5807 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 05, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/05/salmonella-in-dog-food-sickens-14-people-in-us/?test=latestnews

Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 people in US

Published May 05, 2012

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. –  Fourteen people in at least nine states have been sickened by salmonella after handling tainted dog food from a South Carolina plant that a few years ago produced food contaminated by toxic mold that killed dozens of dogs, federal officials said Friday.

At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.

"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.

Three people each were infected in Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, the CDC said.

::snipping2::
Edit to add "Cat" to subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:37:49 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »

http://www.diamondpet.com/information/

http://diamondpetrecall.com/#

Diamond Pet Foods has voluntarily recalled several brands produced in its Gaston, South Carolina, plant as a precautionary measure to protect the health and safety of customers and their pets. Please refer to the production code number on your bag to determine whether your product is affected by this recall. Please feel free to contact us at 866-918-8756 with any questions. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may have caused customers and their pets. We will update this website continually so check back often for new information.

Brands Affected By Recall

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
    Country Value
    Diamond
    Diamond Naturals
    Premium Edge
    Professional
    4Health
    Taste of the Wild

Production Codes
If your production code has a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position, your product is affected by the recall. If the product you have does not include a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position, your product is not affected by the recall, and you can continue to feed it as usual.

Edit to add "cat' to subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:38:29 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »

I saw a news show on this and it said that people were feeding their pets and then eating without washing their hands.  YUCK!!!  
Edit to add "cat" to subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:39:03 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »

Cat food is included too!

http://www.kvue.com/news/150369165.html
Pet food recall notice includes Kirkland, Taste of the Wild
May 7, 2012

Brands included in the recall include:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
    Country Value
    Diamond
    Diamond Naturals
    Premium Edge
    Professional
    4Health
    Taste of the Wild

The latest company to issue a recall is Natural Balance Pet Foods. More details here. Natural Balance Pet Foods Customer Service number is (800) 829-4493.

WellPet LLC has also recalled Wellness Complete Health Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and5 oz. sample bags with best by dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013. Call WellPet for more information: (877) 227-9587.

And for the first time, cat food is included on the recall list.  Costco’s Kirkland Signature products are now included in the recall list.

The Kirkland Signature items in the recall include:

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan. 31, 2013)
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan. 31, 2013)
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan. 31, 2013)
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan. 31, 2013)
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan. 31, 2013)
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan.31, 2013)
    Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (Dec. 9, 2012, through Jan. 31, 2013)

To determine if your pet food is recalled, check the production codes on the back of bags that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th position AND an “X” in the 10th or 11th position. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed above are Dec. 9, 2012, through April 7, 2013.

The CDC reports that 14 people in 9 states have been infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Infantis.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:39:21 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »

Dry dog food recall linked to salmonella outbreak expanded to Maine

Posted May 09, 2012, at 12:13 p.m.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/09/business/dry-dog-food-recall-linked-to-salmonella-outbreak-expanded-to-maine/?ref=mostReadBoxNews

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »

I saw a news show on this and it said that people were feeding their pets and then eating without washing their hands.  YUCK!!!  
Edit to add "cat" to subject line.  MB

You'd have puked at mealtime in my house..........both my Dogs (when alive-RIP my babies) ate right off my own fork, lol....while I was eating (ummmmmmm, not dog food though)

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.