March 18, 2024, 09:57:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 362656 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #380 on: June 03, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

"Shellie Zimmerman was asked about the website at the hearing, but she said she didn't know how much money had been raised. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester set bail at $150,000. The 28-year-old was freed a few days later after posting $15,000 in cash — which is typical."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57446205/george-zimmerman-back-in-fla-jail/
Edit to add date of article publication.  MB  June 3, 2012

This is what I don't understand, the prosecution, judge knew of this account at the bond hearing. Why didn't the judge require Shellie Zimmerman to check into then disclose $ in the account? I don't see that she lied,...she didn't try to hide the account.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:33:45 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »

"Shellie Zimmerman was asked about the website at the hearing, but she said she didn't know how much money had been raised. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester set bail at $150,000. The 28-year-old was freed a few days later after posting $15,000 in cash — which is typical."

This is what I don't understand, the prosecution, judge knew of this account at the bond hearing. Why didn't the judge require Shellie Zimmerman to check into then disclose $ in the account? I don't see that she lied,...she didn't try to hide the account.

To me, it is a ploy by the prosecution to counter the damage to their case by the release of info. They had to make GZ look bad, so they sought to discredit him with these claims.

jmo

Challapalca him!
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullarticle?topic=newsarticle&category=cnnd_latest&articleId=urn:newsml:CNN.com:20120601:florida-teen-shooting:1&cookieFlag=COOKIE_SET

In court documents, State Attorney Angela B. Corey also said that Zimmerman had two passports, and the passport that he surrendered to the court at the April hearing was one that Zimmerman had reported stolen on March 8, 2004. That passport was valid until May 2012, Corey said.

Zimmerman was issued a second passport on March 26, 2004, and that one is valid until 2014, she said.

The prosecutor asked the court that Zimmerman be ordered to surrender the second passport to authorities.

But Lester appeared to accept the explanation from Zimmerman's lawyer that his client had given him the second passport, and the lawyer simply forgot to hand it over to authorities until Friday.

Regarding Zimmerman's finances, Corey alleged that in the recorded phone calls in April the couple "spoke in code to hide what they were doing" regarding the money in a credit union account belonging to the couple.

The money was apparently donated by members of the public to Zimmerman's website.

Zimmerman "fully controlled and participated in the transfer of money from the PayPal account to defendant and his wife's credit union accounts," Corey said in court records. "This occurred prior to the time defendant was arguing to the court that he was indigent and his wife had no money."

In late April, Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, said that the money raised by the website was put into a trust account that the attorney controls.

But Corey stated Friday in the court documents: "The money still belongs to defendant and he can demand it at any time."

Court papers provided a partial transcript of a phone call allegedly showing the code used by Zimmerman and his wife on April 16:

Zimmerman: "In my account do I have at least $100?"

His wife: "No."

Zimmerman: "How close am I?"

His wife: "$8. $8.60."

Zimmerman: "Really. So total everything how much are we looking at?"

His wife: "Like $155."

The prosecutor said the judge "relied on false representations and statements" by Zimmerman and his wife when the court set his bond at $150,000. He was required to post only 10% of that.

Corey argued that the court should revoke the bond or increase it "substantially."
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »

JMO Zimmerman's needed no outside help to make theirselves look bad based on the wiretaps proving knowledge of the $ in the account and the evidence of the 2nd passport.

snipped;

Lester accused Zimmerman of having misrepresented how much money he had when his bond was originally set in April. Prosecutors say he had $135,000 at the time Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, told the court, under oath, that they were indigent.

The prosecution cited as evidence recorded telephone conversations that Zimmerman had with his wife prior to the hearing. The conversations were recorded while Zimmerman was being held in the Seminole County Jail after being charged with second-degree murder on April 11.
http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullarticle?topic=newsarticle&category=cnnd_latest&articleId=urn:newsml:CNN.com:20120601:florida-teen-shooting:1&cookieFlag=COOKIE_SET

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #384 on: June 03, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »

I personally have very conflicting thoughts on this case, it is not cut n dry at all imo nor race based.  I am hoping more comes out to make it clear either way.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #385 on: June 03, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »

To me, it is a ploy by the prosecution to counter the damage to their case by the release of info. They had to make GZ look bad, so they sought to discredit him with these claims.

jmo

I agree...the judge was aware of this account.  Didn't he say that he would check into it?  Maybe he did...and this is the result?

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #386 on: June 03, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2116359,00.html
Defense: George Zimmerman in Police Custody
June 3, 2012

George Zimmerman (right) arrives at the John E. Polk Correctional Facility after his bond was revoked by a Florida judge in Sanford, Fla., June 3, 2012.
Brian Blanco / Reuters

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/thatmarciaclark/posts/473619472664301

Marcia Clark · 2,136 like this
Yesterday at 1:58pm ·

And here's more Bail-Gate fallout for Zimmerman: the same judge who just tossed him into the hoosegow is the one who's going to decide whether he had the right to "stand his ground" at the pretrial hearing. In Florida, the defense has the right to try and convince a judge in a pretrial hearing that he killed in self defense. If the judge is convinced that the shooting was in self defense, he can throw the whole case out right then and there. It'll never go to a jury.
But Zimmerman will have to testify at that hearing, since he's the primary witness and his testimony is necessary to establish a claim of self defense.
That means he has to persuade this judge that he's telling the truth about being attacked by Trayvon Martin.
Now that this judge has found Zimmerman lied about his finances at the bail hearing, I'm going to step out on a limb and guess Zimmerman's chances of getting the judge to buy his self defense claim have sunk to about zero.
Though I was never all that worried that the case would get thrown out at the "stand your ground" hearing, I think this latest wrinkle has removed all doubt.
This case is going to trial.

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #388 on: June 03, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/thatmarciaclark/posts/473619472664301

Marcia Clark · 2,136 like this
Yesterday at 1:58pm ·

And here's more Bail-Gate fallout for Zimmerman: the same judge who just tossed him into the hoosegow is the one who's going to decide whether he had the right to "stand his ground" at the pretrial hearing. In Florida, the defense has the right to try and convince a judge in a pretrial hearing that he killed in self defense. If the judge is convinced that the shooting was in self defense, he can throw the whole case out right then and there. It'll never go to a jury.
But Zimmerman will have to testify at that hearing, since he's the primary witness and his testimony is necessary to establish a claim of self defense.
That means he has to persuade this judge that he's telling the truth about being attacked by Trayvon Martin.
Now that this judge has found Zimmerman lied about his finances at the bail hearing, I'm going to step out on a limb and guess Zimmerman's chances of getting the judge to buy his self defense claim have sunk to about zero.
Though I was never all that worried that the case would get thrown out at the "stand your ground" hearing, I think this latest wrinkle has removed all doubt.
This case is going to trial.

I was under the impression you can toss out the SYG defense and still have a self defense argument here in Florida...I will check into that more and I have always expected this one to go to trial, can you imagine the riots and fallout if it didn't.....granted IMO that is no reason to charge a case or not toss one out, but I do think many times that is indeed the determining factor.

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #389 on: June 03, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »

jmo

I agree...the judge was aware of this account.  Didn't he say that he would check into it?  Maybe he did...and this is the result?

Not according to the hearing transcript..judge nor prosecution asked about $ in the account, just seems odd to me that the judge displayed so much anger at the recent hearing when a] he knew of the account and b] all he needed to do at the bond hearing was ask to be informed of $s in the account.

Or just maybe...like me, he has that oldie short-term memory problem? 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/03/2831483/after-bond-revoked-george-zimmerman.html

After bond revoked, George Zimmerman returns to jail in Trayvon Martin killing
Posted on Sunday, 06.03.12

::snipping2::
The attorney said he would ask for a new bond hearing on Monday, insisting Zimmerman is “still entitled to a bond” under Florida law.

In an earlier statement on his website, O’Mara said he hoped his client’s surrender “will help demonstrate to the court that he is not a flight risk.”

Asked about the possibility that Zimmerman’s wife could be charged with perjury, O’Mara said the judge has the power to impose contempt charges but that he did not want to speculate.

He said Zimmerman “understands the court’s concerns. . . . He understands the state’s concerns,” and that the couple’s statements at the bond hearing would “have to be rehabilitated.”

Since Zimmerman waived his right to a speedy trial, he could now be waiting in jail a long time, said his lawyer. “It is anticipated, though not certain, that the case will not be ready for trial until some time into 2013.”

For now, Zimmerman is confined by himself in a single cell — 67 square feet — for his own protection, equipped with a toilet and two beds

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/03/2831483/after-bond-revoked-george-zimmerman.html#storylink=cpy
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »

Some info on GZ's job:

CSI: Housing Bust

Alpan (whose name has been changed, as his company’s policy forbids unauthorized employees to speak to the media) spends eight hours a day at this desk in Digital Risk’s office building in suburban Maitland, Florida, reconstructing the exact circumstances that led so many Americans to buy houses they couldn’t afford. The cases he has seen reveal a country gone berserk: a woman in Ann Arbor who refinanced her home five times in five years but neglected to tell her lender that she had quit her job; a concrete finisher in Las Vegas who applied for 15 mortgages in one week; pastors—dozens of them—who doctored bank statements, bought houses they couldn’t pay for, and then filed for bankruptcy. “The nice thing about pastors is that their church shares information when asked,” Alpan says. “Pastors are always an easy [fraud] claim.”

Four years after the crash, most financial institutions still aren’t equipped to find evidence of fraud in the toxic loans crippling their balance sheets. So they outsource the job to Digital Risk. The company’s CEO, Peter Kassabov, calls Digital Risk the “watchdog of the financial world.” Demand for watchdogs is high: the company, which has 1,100 employees, plans to double its workforce by the end of this year. Kassabov’s recruits tend to have underwriting experience; many are refugees of the housing bust. One such hire was George Zimmerman, the man who killed Trayvon Martin in February (Zimmerman says he acted in self-defense). At the time of the shooting, Zimmerman worked as an auditor at Digital Risk, and before that, he was a mortgage broker.

The company spends about $10,000 to train each new employee in the art of fraud prevention and detection.

Edit to add magazine issue date.  MB  June 2012
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/csi-housing-bust/8977/?google_editors_picks=true

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:55:50 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Challapalca him!
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:41 AM »

jmo

Not according to the hearing transcript..judge nor prosecution asked about $ in the account, just seems odd to me that the judge displayed so much anger at the recent hearing when a] he knew of the account and b] all he needed to do at the bond hearing was ask to be informed of $s in the account.

Or just maybe...like me, he has that oldie short-term memory problem? 

Thanks Toler...well, where did I hear that from?  Hmmm...I know that I read that somewhere.  I will go and check it out...ha.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #393 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/03/cnr.01.html
George Zimmerman Back in Jail;  ::snipping2::
Aired June 3, 2012 - 14:37   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

FREDRICKA WHITFIELD, CNN ANCHOR: Hello, you're in the CNN NEWSROOM. I'm Fredricka Whitfield.

We're following two big stories right now. George Zimmerman has just turned himself in. The man accused of killing unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin is back in jail.
All right, now let's go to Sanford, Florida. That's where George Zimmerman has come out of hiding and he is now back in jail. His bond was revoked by the judge of the Trayvon Martin murder case.

Martin Savidge is there. Martin, tell us about how this all unfolded today?

MARTIN SAVIDGE, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Well, it went smoothly, and it went safely. That's, of course, the primary concern both for the defense and also for the sheriff's office here.

George Zimmerman was booked into the Seminole County Jail at around 1:43 so a little less than an hour ago. But a little different as to how he turned himself in. It actually occurred on the side of a highway here in Central Florida.

We know that George Zimmerman returned to this area late last night. But as far as actually getting back into custody of authorities, well, listen to the sheriff as he described how that happened.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SHERIFF DONALD ESLINGER, SEMINOLE COUNTY, FLORIDA: George Zimmerman met two members of the sheriff's office in the area of Lake Merriad, I-4, was placed into custody, transported to the correctional facility. He is being booked and processed as per Judge Lester's order. He'll be held on a no bond status.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

SAVIDGE: And as before, George Zimmerman is going to be held in his own cell. He'll be isolated from the other part of the jail population here. Meanwhile, his attorney, that's Mark O'Mara described to me what George Zimmerman's mood was like.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MARK O'MARA, GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S ATTORNEY: He's solemn obviously. He is worried continually about his safety. Having to come out of hiding is a concern of his, but I think he also realizes the judge's concerns now that we've all had on the defense team a chance to look at all of the evidence.

He understands the court's concerns. He understands the state's concerns and we're going to address those and say what I think needs to be said to address them with Judge Lester.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

SAVIDGE: Mark O'Mara hopes that his client will not behind bars for very long. He plans to file a motion tomorrow to request another bond hearing.

But of course, the decision of how long George Zimmerman stays in jail will rest entirely with the judge. And the judge is not too happy with George Zimmerman right now because of what many say is hiding of money.

WHITFIELD: And so, Martin, it's the judge's discretion as to whether there would be another bond hearing, even though Mark O'Mara is requesting another bond hearing.

SAVIDGE: Right, that's correct. And one thing you probably can bet is that the hearing isn't going to happen real soon. The judge would probably want George Zimmerman to think a little bit.

But then on top of that, you're right. The judge could make the decision that he won't necessarily have to grant bond. If that were the case then George Zimmerman could remain indefinitely or at least until his trial, and that is not expected until next year.

WHITFIELD: All right, Martin Savidge, thanks so much in Sanford, Florida.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:43:43 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/06/03/nr-zimmerman-back-to-jail-savidge-whitfield.cnn?iref=allsearch
Zimmerman is booked into jail again. VIDEO
Added On June 4, 2012
CNN's Martin Savidge reports, the man charged with the second degree murder of Trayvon Martin is back in jail.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/06/04/exp-point-crump-zimmerman-bond.cnn?iref=allsearch
Crump:  If Trayvon lied he'd be in jail.
Added On June 4, 2012
Trayvon Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump responds to murder suspect George Zimmerman's bond being revoked.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »

I think this case is a wake up call.  If the laws and presumption of innocence of GZ will be ignored and twisted as they have been in the case, what waits for the rest of us?   This is setting a president for future cases that is beyond scary, imo.  Our right to a fair trial are whirling down a porcelain bowl.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:58 AM »

I think this case is a wake up call.  If the laws and presumption of innocence of GZ will be ignored and twisted as they have been in the case, what waits for the rest of us?   This is setting a president for future cases that is beyond scary, imo.  Our right to a fair trial are whirling down a porcelain bowl.

ITA.  However,this case is just the latest in along string of cases that have been tried in the media.  (Granted that the family and MSM deliberately manipulated the "story" in TM/GZ case.)

Richard Jewell - falsely accused Olympic Park bomber

Tried in the media -OJ and Casey Anthony

I can name numerous cases in my own community.

It seems that the lightening quick dissemination of information and opinions via the internet and TV, along with the public's demand to know and have records released has led to this maelstrom.  It also could besaid that we ourselves are just as guilty as we search for every morsel of information (even though we resource & reference our findings) and then discuss it here.

I don't mean to open Pandora's box here, just looking at it from the POV as what is my role in all of this.

Challapalca him!
cecilita
Monkey Junky

« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »

ITA.  However,this case is just the latest in along string of cases that have been tried in the media.  (Granted that the family and MSM deliberately manipulated the "story" in TM/GZ case.)

Richard Jewell - falsely accused Olympic Park bomber

Tried in the media -OJ and Casey Anthony

I can name numerous cases in my own community.

It seems that the lightening quick dissemination of information and opinions via the internet and TV, along with the public's demand to know and have records released has led to this maelstrom.  It also could besaid that we ourselves are just as guilty as we search for every morsel of information (even though we resource & reference our findings) and then discuss it here.

I don't mean to open Pandora's box here, just looking at it from the POV as what is my role in all of this.
well probably GZ will receive 1 year probation  for lying like slore casey...
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/06/04/exp-point-crump-zimmerman-bond.cnn?iref=allsearch
Crump:  If Trayvon lied he'd be in jail.
Added On June 4, 2012
Trayvon Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump responds to murder suspect George Zimmerman's bond being revoked.

SSDD from Crump.......

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.