March 18, 2024, 10:14:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 362661 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »

Zimmerman's Treatment National Disgrace
June 6 '12

It was said of Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester that he would not be moved by emotional hysteria, but rather view things within reason and the law. However, after his decision last week to revoke George Zimmerman's bond, I doubt whether anyone can remain uninfluenced.

Humans have discovered that good wishes are essential to life. Imagine then, if groups of people, organizations, churches, politicians and media were to vilify and demonize a single individual.

Bullying suicides are everywhere, from Tyler Clementi to Abraham Biggs, among many others who have taken their own lives when maligned. Consider Josh Powell, who burned himself and his sons when faced with hardships and trials.

It takes people of a high caliber and moral courage to survive death threats, terrorism, hatred and harassment. People like the Zimmermans deserve our empathy.

Lynch mobs want vengeance, not justice. Zimmerman is neither a racist nor a vigilante; yet he has been mercilessly demonized and vilified as one or the other. He utters no complaint, but speaks his truth quietly and clearly. When love can nowhere be found and all resulting troubles are viewed as God's justice, how can a man survive?

What is happening to Zimmerman, on every level, is a national disgrace.

It is easy to see from his actions and the court proceedings that Zimmerman has the deepest respect for our justice system. The video when he was first brought into the Sanford police station shows him wiping his feet as he enters the facility in handcuffs.
 ::snipping2::

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-ed-george-zimmerman-myword-060712-20120606,0,32797.story#tugs_story_display
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

I don't want to be the source of any discontent so I'm giving myself some space on this one and will try to post as little as possible.  No disrespect was intended toward anyone here and it wasn't personal.   

It is yet to be proven in court whether or not GZ is guilty of murder but he's done a host of other things which are more than questionable.  Lying to the court is so wrong! 

IMO.   

It is absolutely wrong to lie to the court...without a doubt.  I sure hope that my post didn't lead to you not posting as much.  It is good to read both sides...see different perspectives and such.  My post was meant to show the level of anger that this case has caused.  It is a very emotionally charged case.  On both sides. 
I dont believe there is any way that this is a 2nd degree murder case. I do believe that gz was acting in self defense although maybe he did put himself in the position of having to do so. I dont think gz is a choirboy by any means but lets stop pretending this kid was a fresh faced little boy that his 13 year old pictures portray him as. He was a thug. Drugs, robbery, fighting. These things make him a misguided kid who if it were your neighbors kid u would probably agree. I believe this kid was angry that this barney fife was tailing him & he was up for a fight. He in no way deserved to die, but lets stop acting like this was a racial thing. I am sick to death of those who play the race card at every opportunity. I may be wrong but turning this into a race thing is why they got so much press & interest in the push to hang this guy. Maybe he deserves a manslaughter charge but he surely doesnt deserve all of this. Tm's parents are milking this for all they can to line their pockets. They deserve to be angry for losing their child but stop trying to stir up hate &"racial discord. Quite sure there have been many white parents who lost their children to black on white crime but i have yet to see one launch a national campaign to try to get whites to hate the black man.

Oh wow...perfectly said.  I think that is where my anger comes from in this case.  I have always thought that I was very compassionate and understanding...but, I have to admit the more that I see in this case the angrier I become and the less compassion I have for the parents...(I cannot believe that I am saying that...it angers me that I feel that way too).  It isn't right to feel that way either...the parents lost their son...and there should be compassion (and I do have it) I am just saying that it is less and less the more they play this racial card.  I just do not believe it was racially motivated...and now people are comparing this mom with Rosa Parks...really?  I have sadness in my heart for her and the dad and the family...I do believe that the civil rights activists exploited them (yet they aren't fighting against that).  I believe that GZ will not get a fair trial...I believe that this is now racially and politically motivated.  GZ doesn't stand a chance...I believe if evidence points to him murdering TM then let justice be served...but, if evidence points against that charge then let him go.  SN:  If Shellie Zimmerman is charged with perjury then so should the Anthony clan...fair is fair.  She lied and so did Cindy.  Well, if it is proven that she lied...it points in that direction.

I don't see black/white because GZ is not white/black I can see that with my own eyes.  And I do see the way it has been miscontrued in the MSM and the prosecution/family is using it to their advantage.  I am more concerned with the gun rights/self defense part of this case...it's funny how we all see things differently or are affected by different aspects of it.  The lying after is going to be a tough one at this point for the defense and GZ. 

youre right gz is not "white" but since hes not black, they have turned this into a racist crime. To most blacks that support this ridiculous attempt at making it about race, he is nothing but a "cracker" who targeted a young black man because he hates blacks like the rest of the non black country. Imo, gz would havebeen suspicious of & followed any young man in a hoodie that he felt was somewhere he shouldnt be. Could have easily been a white or hispanic kid dressed the same way. Not saying that attire is a reason to be suspicious but if this kid fit the profile & appearance of the previous burglary suspects then in gz's mind that was enough to cause suspicion. He should have left it to authorities & for that he is an idiot, but i highly doubt he was hanging out just looking to off some black kid simply because of his race. I despise those whites that form those aryan brotherhood groups or whatever they call themselves, they are true race haters. However, they are no different than this ridiculousness. Sybrina martin being compared to rosa parks? R u kidding me? Im more inclined to compare her to cindy anthony. Racism is always going to be alive in this world, but it goes more ways than one. I refuse to bow to the black man who thinks he/she is owed something from the white man because of the way the country was. Hundreds of years ago. Blacks have just as many opportunities in this country as other races, in fact more, to further their education & make their lives what they choose. I know blacks that are lazy, living off the system, etc. & i know whites that are the same way. Your station in life is what you strive to make it & if u cant or wont better yourself, its not fault of others. Racism is not all about blacks. All races live with it.
As far as the lying to the courts thing, i dont know all of the details, but i dont condone it. Is that really an issue in this twisted mess? We dont know if this man is guilty of anything more than being an overzealous neighborhood watch idiot that created a bad situation for himself yet he now lives in fear for his life. Even if he is lucky enough to make it to trial he will absolutely not get a fair trial & if hes miraculously acquitted he may be released to be hung from the nearest tree. His family did nothing, yet their lives are ruined.  Id say let it play out in court & hope for justice, but i highly doubt that will happen. He is now part of an agenda & a campaign for racial discord. A jury would be afraid not to convict.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »

Well said kcrn...so sad but true.  I just pray that they stop playing games and seek justice for ALL involved.  I cannot believe that we as a nation have allowed this to happen.  It is not right and it is not fair.  It surfaces anger in me that I don't typically have.  Entitlement issues are at an all time high...this has not been handled right in any way.  The money being sent to GZ is speaking for the support of him...yet, in the media most is scared to admit their support of him...why?  Fear?  Something isn't right there if that is the case...maybe this needs to be assessed.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »

June7, 2012
What the Media Choose Not to Know about Trayvon

Unnerved by an unspoken mix of political bias and racial queasiness, the major media have chosen to know as little about Trayvon Martin as they know about Barack Obama.

As a case in point, consider this boy vs. man fable spun by the New York Times' Charles Blow:

A boy's blood had been spilled on a rain-soaked patch of grass behind a row of mustard-colored condominiums by a man who had pursued him against the advice of 911 dispatchers. That man carried a 9-millimeter handgun. The boy carried a bag of candy.

Blow was writing seven weeks after Trayvon's death.  He had no excuse for missing the actual story.  Worse, since he is a writer for the Times, his reporting has helped set the media tone worldwide

The media's willful ignorance was on display again this past week.  In reporting this news of George Zimmerman's return to jail, more than a few media outlets showed the dangerously deceptive image of Trayvon as 11-year-old cherub.  They did so in the assumption that the narrative was still theirs to control.  It is not.  The blogs, which have been doing the real detective work on this case, have long since taken control away from them. 

The sites I have found must useful are the Daily Caller and conservativetreehouse.com.  What follows is largely culled from those sites and their independent contributors.  By probing Trayon's background and parsing his social media chatter, they have put together a picture of a disturbed young man that begins to makes sense of the events that unfolded on that fateful rainy night of February 26.

6:21

Trayvon Martin is seen on the security video through the 7-11 window approaching the store from the direction of the Retreat at Twin Lakes.  He had been staying there at the townhouse of his father's girlfriend, Brandy Green.  In major media accounts, the helpful Trayvon ventured out in the rain in a mile-plus round trip to buy Brandy's 14-year-old son, Chad, some Skittles and Arizona Iced Tea.  Not likely.

6:22

Trayvon, with his hoodie up, grabs two items from the shelves of 7-11.  One is the Skittles.  The other is Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice Cocktail.  The media avoid the name of the real drink -- possibly because of the racial implications of the word "watermelon," but possibly to avoid probing the real reason for Trayon's trip.

Trayvon, in fact, had become a devotee of the druggy concoction known as "Lean," also known in southern hip-hop culture as "Sizzurp" and "Purple Drank."  Lean consists of three basic ingredients -- codeine, a soft drink, and candy.  If his Facebook postings are to be believed, Trayvon had been using Lean since at least June 2011. 

On June 27, 2011, Trayvon asks a friend online, "unow a connect for codien?"  He tells the friend that "robitussin nd soda" could make "some fire ass lean."  He says, "I had it before" and that he wants "to make some more."  On the night of February 26, if Brandy had some Robitussin at home, Trayvon had just bought the mixings for one "fire ass lean" cocktail.

6:23

Trayvon pays for his purchases.  He then appears to point to an item behind the counter, but the clerk seems to reject that option.  Trayvon turns from the counter with a couple of dollar bills still in his hand.  ::snipping2:: 

....timeline continues at link

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/06/what_the_media_choose_not_to_know_about_trayvon.html#ixzz1x7gzCObc
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »

Good grief, I've heard of alcoholics drinking cough syrup before, but I didn't know there was a recipe for a drink with it and candy.  How do people think up this stuff????

Shocked

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #465 on: June 07, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

If Angela Corey threatened suit against Dershowitz and Harvard, she needs to step down from Zimmerman case
 June 7, 2012 at 10:29am

If this is true, then Zimmerman prosecutor Angela Corey needs to step off the case.

Alan Dershowitz has been a harsh critic of Zimmerman prosecutor Angela Corey.  Among his criticisms is that Corey has been too politicized in charging Second Degree Murder.

Corey now has made the prosecution a personal issue. Will she conduct the prosecution in such a way as to achieve justice, or to set herself up for a personal lawsuit against Dershowitz and Harvard?

Corey certainly has a right to protect and defend her reputation in civil actions, but she cannot interject those concerns into a prosecution.  By threatening suit against a critic in the middle of the case, Corey has put her own financial interests at stake in the outcome and conduct of the prosecution.

Florida has adopted American Bar Association Standards of Criminal Justice Relating to Prosecution Function.  ABA Standard 3-1.3 Conflicts of Interest provides in pertinent part:

(f) A prosecutor should not permit his or her professional judgment or obligations to be affected by his or her own political, financial, business, property, or personal interests.

Corey should step down.  Now.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/06/if-angela-corey-threatened-suit-against-dershowitz-and-harvard-she-needs-to-step-down-from-zimmerman-case/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57448924-504083/trayvon-martin-murder-suspect-george-zimmerman-scheduled-for-new-bond-hearing/
Trayvon Martin murder suspect George Zimmerman scheduled for new bond hearing
June 7, 2012 1:07 PM 

(CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - A new bond hearing is set for George Zimmerman, the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer charged in the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin
The hearing is set for the morning of June 29.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »

Trayvon Martin's parents to deliver petition at stand-your-ground meeting

June 7, 2012|
By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel

The parents of Trayvon Martin will deliver a 340,000-signature petition next week during the first public meeting of the task force reviewing Florida's stand-your-ground law, according to a national group which opposes such laws.

Trayvon, a 17-year-old from Miami Gardens, was fatally shot Feb. 26 in Sanford. The shooter, George Zimmerman, was not initially arrested because police said they couldn't disprove his self-defense claim under the controversial law.

The law allows the use of deadly force to prevent death or great bodily injury. It did away with the requirement that a person attempt to retreat from a conflict before using force, and critics say it encourages people to "shoot first."

Gov. Rick Scott created the Citizen Safety and Protection Task Force amid outrage over the teenager's death. Its first public meeting will be held Tuesday at Northland Church in Longwood, kicking off a statewide tour of hearings.

The teen's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, will deliver a petition "calling for reform or repeal" of the law about noon, according to Second Chance on Shoot First, a coalition which combats stand-your-ground legislation.

Central Florida Urban League President Allie Braswell is also expected to attend. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and New York CityMayor Michael Bloomberg are among the group's supporters.   ::snipping2:: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-07/news/os-trayvon-martin-stand-your-ground-petition-20120607_1_stand-your-ground-law-deadly-force-petition
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #468 on: June 07, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »

Case against Zimmerman: Rally to reform 'Stand Your Ground' next week
June 7 '12

LONGWOOD --
When the Florida Task Force on Citizen Safety and Protection meets for the first time next week, Trayvon Martin's parents will be there.

Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton will be part of a rally Tuesday by the "Second Chance on Shoot First" campaign started by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Supporters say they will deliver more than 340,000 petitions calling for the reform or repeal of laws like Florida's Stand Your Ground law.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/6/7/rally_to_reform_stan.html
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #469 on: June 07, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

Trayvon Martin's parents to deliver petition at stand-your-ground meeting

June 7, 2012|
By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel

The parents of Trayvon Martin will deliver a 340,000-signature petition next week during the first public meeting of the task force reviewing Florida's stand-your-ground law, according to a national group which opposes such laws.

Trayvon, a 17-year-old from Miami Gardens, was fatally shot Feb. 26 in Sanford. The shooter, George Zimmerman, was not initially arrested because police said they couldn't disprove his self-defense claim under the controversial law.

The law allows the use of deadly force to prevent death or great bodily injury. It did away with the requirement that a person attempt to retreat from a conflict before using force, and critics say it encourages people to "shoot first."

Gov. Rick Scott created the Citizen Safety and Protection Task Force amid outrage over the teenager's death. Its first public meeting will be held Tuesday at Northland Church in Longwood, kicking off a statewide tour of hearings.

The teen's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, will deliver a petition "calling for reform or repeal" of the law about noon, according to Second Chance on Shoot First, a coalition which combats stand-your-ground legislation.

Central Florida Urban League President Allie Braswell is also expected to attend. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and New York CityMayor Michael Bloomberg are among the group's supporters.   ::snipping2:: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-07/news/os-trayvon-martin-stand-your-ground-petition-20120607_1_stand-your-ground-law-deadly-force-petition

I would think you're entitled to stand your ground when you're on the bottom of a fight in which you are being pummeled and suffocated. I don't believe GZ approached TM with his gun pulled, or we would have heard TM say "don't shoot" instead of what he said.

I believe that TM went past GZ's car and then took off running. GZ pursued him,but could not keep up with a younger, lighter, longer legged TM. GZ gave up and was heading back to his car when TM doubled back and then approached TM.

If only, if only....... But, it happened and both men's actions may have contributed to the unfortunate outcome. I'm sorry if that angers anyone, but neither man acted in a vacuum. jmo

Challapalca him!
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »

I would think you're entitled to stand your ground when you're on the bottom of a fight in which you are being pummeled and suffocated. I don't believe GZ approached TM with his gun pulled, or we would have heard TM say "don't shoot" instead of what he said.

I believe that TM went past GZ's car and then took off running. GZ pursued him,but could not keep up with a younger, lighter, longer legged TM. GZ gave up and was heading back to his car when TM doubled back and then approached TM. (should read TM doubled back and approached GZ)

If only, if only....... But, it happened and both men's actions may have contributed to the unfortunate outcome. I'm sorry if that angers anyone, but neither man acted in a vacuum. jmo

ooops, self correction.

Challapalca him!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/07/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-blotter-idUS388432303020120607

Zimmerman Could Get Released from Jail June 29
By Andrew Chow, JD at FindLaw.com
Thu Jun 7, 2012 6:28pm EDT

George Zimmerman's new bail hearing is set for June 29, when his lawyer will again argue for his client's release from jail before trial, the Associated Press reports.

Zimmerman had been free after posting 10% of his original bail, set at $150,000 in April. But a judge revoked Zimmerman's bail last week, after finding Zimmerman and his wife lied about their finances to get a lower bail at the April hearing. Zimmerman returned to jail Sunday.

The June 29 bail hearing will be similar to the April hearing, but this time, Zimmerman will have a lot to prove to the court.

In asking to revoke George Zimmerman's bail, prosecutors alleged he and his wife spoke in code during jail phone calls to conceal their true finances.

Zimmerman's defense team acknowledged the "gravity of this mistake" in a website entry June 4. "Mr. Zimmerman understands that this mistake has undermined his credibility, which he will have to work to repair."

Florida law lists 12 general factors for a judge to consider at a bail hearing. The factors include:

The nature and circumstances of the offense charged.
The weight of the evidence against the defendant.
The defendant's family ties, length of residence in the community, employment history, financial resources, and mental condition.
The defendant's past and present conduct, including conduct in court.
The source of funds used to post bail or procure an appearance bond.
Any other facts the court considers relevant.

"While Mr. Zimmerman acknowledges that he allowed his financial situation to be misstated in court, the defense will emphasize that in all other regards, Mr. Zimmerman has been forthright and cooperative," Zimmerman's defense team wrote on their website, GZLegalCase.com
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #472 on: June 07, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1233152.ece

Race plays complex role in Florida's 'stand your ground' law
By Susan Taylor Martin, Kris Hundley and Connie Humburg, Times Staff Writers
In Print: Monday, June 4, 2012

A Tampa Bay Times analysis of nearly 200 cases — the first to examine the role of race in "stand your ground" — found that people who killed a black person walked free 73 percent of the time, while those who killed a white person went free 59 percent of the time.

"I don't think judges or prosecutors or whoever works in the field of criminal justice is consciously saying black life is worth less than that of other ethnicities,'' said Kareem Jordan, a criminologist at the University of Central Florida. "But at the end of the day, it could be something that's subconscious going on if you look at how the media depicts black life.''

Questions of race have surrounded Florida's "stand your ground" law since the February shooting death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager, by George Zimmerman, a Hispanic neighborhood watch volunteer.

Did the teenager's race have anything to do with the initial decision not to charge Zimmerman?

If Zimmerman had been black, would authorities in Sanford have been so quick to accept his claim of self-defense? Are black defendants less likely to walk free than people of other races in "stand your ground" cases?

The Times analysis found no obvious bias in how black defendants have been treated:

• Whites who invoked the law were charged at the same rate as blacks.

• Whites who went to trial were convicted at the same rate as blacks.

• In mixed-race cases involving fatalities, the outcomes were similar. Four of the five blacks who killed a white went free; five of the six whites who killed a black went free.

• Overall, black defendants went free 66 percent of the time in fatal cases compared to 61 percent for white defendants — a difference explained, in part, by the fact blacks were more likely to kill another black.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #473 on: June 07, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »

I believe that TM went past GZ's car and then took off running. GZ pursued him,but could not keep up with a younger, lighter, longer legged TM. GZ gave up and was heading back to his car when TM doubled back and then approached TM. (should read TM doubled back and approached GZ)

ooops, self correction.

Sounds like a highly possible scenario. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #474 on: June 07, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »

Orlando man with Zimmerman's old phone number slammed by threatening calls
June 7 '12

At age 49, Junior Alexander Guy got his first cell phone last month. The calls started immediately.

Strangers called at all hours. Some were insulting. Others angry. Sometimes, they threatened him.

"You murderer!"

"You deserve to die!"
By Day 2 he figured out what was going on: T-Mobile had given him the phone number formerly used by George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who fatally shot Trayvon Martin in February.

The number —407-435-2400 — was the one Zimmerman spelled out to a police dispatcher in a recorded call the night of the shooting that has since been widely circulated by news organizations and is available on the Internet.

Guy, who works at an Orlando wastewater plant, said his phone rang around the clock.

"At 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock in the morning I kept getting these," he said.

He estimates he received 70 threatening calls.

He has moved out of his home and relocated his mother, who had lived with him, to a different location, he said.

"I was not only afraid for my life, I was afraid for my mother's," he said.

He got the phone May 7. On May 16, he turned the phone over to Orlando lawyer Robert Trimble. Since then, the phone has been in Trimble's safe.  ::snipping2:: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-07/news/os-george-zimmerman-old-phone-number-20120606_1_t-mobile-cell-phone-phone-number
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #475 on: June 07, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »

A brave, new world
June 5 '12

::snipping2:: Less than two weeks after its creation, over 540,000 people signed my petition. On the one month anniversary of Trayvon's death, I delivered the petition to the Justice Department. To say my life changed that day is an understatement. I met people via email, facebook, twitter and in person who had lost loved ones as a result of gun violence. I received words of support and encouragement along with angry emails and phone calls. I've been both praised and vilified. In creating the petition, I put myself out there -- something I rarely did as a journalist -- and I don't regret it for one minute!

Today, watching events unfold in the recall election in Wisconsin, I feel a deep sense of satisfaction and contentment. Although I enjoyed my work as a journalist, the people I met and the stories I was able to share, I feel that my work today makes a tangible, measurable difference. Through efforts like my own, children may one day feel safer, I hope, because there are fewer guns on the streets, fewer bad lawmakers taking away their rights for the sake of power and selfish gain. This hope takes my breath away. I think about Trayvon's family every day especially when I watch my two young sons grow. They know Trayvon's face and they know the name of his killer. They stood with me the day I delivered the petitions and shouted "No justice, no peace!"  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/05/1097668/-A-brave-new-world
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #476 on: June 08, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »

Zimmerman prosecutor has history of going after critics
June 8 '

Yesterday I posted about how Alan Dershowitz alleged that Zimmerman prosecutor Angela Corey called up Harvard Law School complaining about Dershowitz and treatening to sue for libel based on Dershowitz’s criticisms of her handling of the case.

The whole incident seemed strange, and reflected conduct that should be off limits for any prosecutor and certainly for a senior prosecutor on a high profile case.

It appears, however, that the Dershowitz incident was no isolated incident.  According to Ron Littlepage, a columnist for the (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, Corey has done this several times before:

Last December when I wrote a column critical of how she handled the Cristian Fernandez case, she fired off a two-page, single-spaced letter on official state attorney letterhead hinting at lawsuits for libel.

In the letter, she called me out for my “lack of knowledge and objectivity about the workings of the criminal justice system.” Ouch. I think she called me stupid….

Then there’s Corey’s spat with Sandy D’Alemberte.

D’Alemberte is a former president of the American Bar Association, a former president of Florida State University and a law professor — not too shabby in the legal credentials department.

When Corey was appointed to head up the investigation into the shooting death of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, D’Alemberte had this to say:

“I cannot imagine a worse choice for a prosecutor to serve in the Sanford case. There is nothing in Angela Corey’s background that suits her for the task, and she cannot command the respect of people who care about justice.”

Earlier, D’Alemberte had criticized Corey in the Fernandez case. The reaction then: A public records request from her office to FSU seeking all emails, text messages and phone messages involving D’Alemberte related to Fernandez.  ::snipping2:: 

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/06/zimmerman-prosecutor-has-history-of-going-after-critics/
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #477 on: June 08, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »

ooops, self correction.

ABsofrickenlutly and that should be the meat of the case/debate.  It could go either way.  If I felt I was being stalked.  If I was attacked.  If I saw a gun on said attacker/stalker/anyone.  All food for thought in a stand your ground case.  The lying is just unfortunate because it will go to credibility in what had the potential to be a no brainer stand your ground case with no guaranteed witnesses, imo.

In my state it used to be - drag them across the threshold and all is good.  Now I have the right to retreat; unless certain circumstances are present.  I can't even own a handgun in my state unless I have been a victim of certain types of crimes.....

It's the small chipping away of the rights that concern me. 
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #478 on: June 08, 2012, 03:44:46 PM »

Almost 100 hear calls for healing at race forum in Sanford
June 8 '12

Nearly 100 residents gathered at the Sanford Civic Center on Thursday to hear a city commissioner, a pastor, a college president, the city's police chief and a pair of attorneys talk about race relations, civil rights, racial profiling and the Trayvon Martin shooting.

"This is a world that is full of very diverse people," said Falecia Williams, president of Valencia College's West Campus. "And it is a process of learning how to live with one another."

Williams moderated the forum, called "A Night of Healing." Speakers included Sanford commissioner Mark McCarty, immigration attorney Shahzad Ahmed, attorney Earnest DeLoach Jr., and Pastor DaRon Dixon of The Well of Hope church.

They talked about how the Feb. 26 shooting of Trayvon sparked a discussion of race relations in Sanford and throughout the country.

DeLoach described growing up in Daytona Beach as a black man in the 1960s and having to travel several miles south to use Bethune Beach.

"There was a physical demarcation line. You had to go the other side of town," DeLoach said. He urged residents to get involved in their community, raise money for political campaigns and even run for office if they want to see a change.

Dixon talked about being pulled over by a police officer in Florida years ago.

"He said: 'I'm looking for drugs, and we're checking people that look like you,' " Dixon said. "We must heal in Sanford, in Central Florida, in Florida and around this world today."

Sanford interim police chief Richard Myers, who is white, recalled being stopped by a state trooper while driving with a black friend while he was in college. The trooper walked up to his friend and asked him questions before leaving. Myers said his friend later told him: "Now you know what it's like being a black man in America."

"That made a huge impression on me," Myers said. "The real tragedy would be for us to miss the chance to honor a young life cut short."  ::snipping2:: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-08/news/os-trayvon-martin-sanford-race-forum-20120607_1_race-relations-sanford-civic-center-forum
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #479 on: June 08, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

Trayvon’s parents want to make America less violent
June 7 '12

As Chicago dealt with yet another deadly weekend of violence where 10 people were killed and nearly three dozen injured, the parents of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin were in town to talk about the impact of gun violence on communities. Speaking at the national headquarters for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton choked back tears as they told their story of being the parents of a murdered teen.

“As any of you know as parents, or family members of slain victims, to look at a crime scene photo, it’s very disturbing,” said Martin. “It was certainly very disturbing to see that picture of my son on the ground dead. That will be ingrained in my memory for the rest of my life.”

Trayvon’s father said he is even more disappointed that unlike the situation with his son, most Black males being killed are the victims of other Black males.

Trayvon, 17, was shot by neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman in February. Zimmerman is of mixed heritage. “While the race of the killer really does little to change anything when a person dies; because death is death, we should still be concerned when we look at the number of young Black men dying at the hands of their fellow brothers,” Martin said.

Fulton said every day is a struggle for her and Trayvon’s father and siblings. She said while the family has been in the public spotlight as a show of solidarity, in private they still are grieving Trayvon’s death like thousands of other families across the country who have lost loved ones. Fulton said she and Martin feel it is their duty as parents to keep Trayvon’s case in the public’s conscious to see that justice is done.

“We are the voice of Trayvon Martin…He’s not here to speak for himself so we as his parents have decided instead of sitting back and not doing anything, this is what we have decided to do, to help our community and to help other parents,” Fulton said.

She also added that all of America can play a role in reducing violence. Fulton said since her son’s death, she has heard from people from all communities who are outraged, not just the African American community. She said the outpouring of support has helped the family and she is trying to use that positive energy to make big changes in society’s behavior.

“I think for too long some people have looked at the violence in America as mostly an African American and Latino issue,” Fulton said. “I believe more people are seeing that violence is everywhere and you have to care about violence in other communities not just what is happening in your own neighborhood.” Trayvon’s parents, along with their attorney Benjamin Crump, participated in a forum about violence in the Black community. Crump said the solution to the problems facing the Black community will come from within and outside the community.

Nearly 30,000 people a year die as a result of gun violence in the United States, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An additional 100,000 people a year are injured, requiring emergency medical treatment and hospitalization, which contributes to the strain being put on public health agencies around the country.

“If it can happen to my son, it can happen to your son,” Crump said. “None of us are safe until all of us are safe.”

Fulton said she believes part of the problem of violence is racial profiling that takes place by police and by individuals like Zimmerman. She said she believes if her son was white, he would have never been followed by Zimmerman that night in Florida when Trayvon was killed. She said she believes Zimmerman followed Trayvon because of his race or what he was wearing, which led to the confrontation between the two that should have never ensued.  ::snipping2:: 

http://milwaukeecourieronline.com/index.php/2012/06/07/trayvons-parents-want-to-make-america-less-violent/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.