March 28, 2024, 03:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 363376 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »

Trayvon Martin Neighborhood Watch Shooting: 911 Tapes Send Mom Crying From Room
Edit to add article date.  MB March 16, 2012
Police recordings made the night a self-appointed neighborhood watch captain allegedly shot and killed an unarmed 17-year-old boy outside his stepmother's home sent the boy's mother screaming from the room and prompted his father to declare, "He killed my son," according to a family representative.

The series of emergency and non-emergency calls to police depict the apparent progression of events on Feb. 26 that led to the watch captain, George Zimmerman, 28, who is white, allegedly shooting Trayvon Martin, a high-school junior who is black, as the teen made his way home with a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea.

The contents of the calls and the family's reaction to them were recounted to ABC News by a representative of the boy's family, Ryan Julison, and ABC News affiliate WFTV published excerpts from the 911 calls.

On one call to a non-emergency dispatch number, according to Julison, Zimmerman says, "He's checking me out," and then, "This guy looks like he's on drugs, he's definitely messed up."  ::snipping2::  

http://abcnews.go.com/US/treyvon-martin-neighborhood-watch-shooting-911-tapes-send/story?id=15937881

Video at link
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:02:22 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »

Trayvon Martin Neighborhood Watch Shooting: 911 Tapes Send Mom Crying From Room
Edit to add article date.  MB March 16, 2012
Police recordings made the night a self-appointed neighborhood watch captain allegedly shot and killed an unarmed 17-year-old boy outside his stepmother's home sent the boy's mother screaming from the room and prompted his father to declare, "He killed my son," according to a family representative.

The series of emergency and non-emergency calls to police depict the apparent progression of events on Feb. 26 that led to the watch captain, George Zimmerman, 28, who is white, allegedly shooting Trayvon Martin, a high-school junior who is black, as the teen made his way home with a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea.

The contents of the calls and the family's reaction to them were recounted to ABC News by a representative of the boy's family, Ryan Julison, and ABC News affiliate WFTV published excerpts from the 911 calls.

On one call to a non-emergency dispatch number, according to Julison, Zimmerman says, "He's checking me out," and then, "This guy looks like he's on drugs, he's definitely messed up."  ::snipping2::  

http://abcnews.go.com/US/treyvon-martin-neighborhood-watch-shooting-911-tapes-send/story?id=15937881

Video at link

Sorry Muffy. Didn't notice the date on the article til after it was posted, it was posted today on a website...thought it was current.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »

The date wasn't readily apparent in the article as some are and I had to look for it. You see, this is one of the reasons why it's important to include the date with the article link.     All articles posted should have the date of the article along with the link even if the article was published today.  It's valuable information for research and when we go go update. Thank you

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #483 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:01 PM »

Exclusive – Prosecutor Angela Corey letter claiming libel by Florida Times Union
June 8 '12

Angela Corey is the special prosecutor in the George Zimmerman case.

Yesterday, Alan Dershowitz alleged that Corey threatened to sue for libel based on Dershowitz’s criticisms of Corey’s handling of the Zimmerman case, particularly the decision to charge 2nd Degree murder and the alleged failure to disclose material facts in the Affidavit of Probable Cause submitted to the court.

Corey also is the lead prosecutor in the prosecution of a 12 year old, Cristian Fernandez, for murder under adult laws.  The Fernandez case has generated much controversy, and resulted in a column by Ron Littlepage of the Florida Times Union on December 7, 2011, Angela Corey plays a two-faced game.

In response, on December 15, 2011, Corey sent a letter on state letterhead as an e-mail attachment to Frank Denton, Editor, and several other people, claiming that Corey had been libeled and defending her actions in the Fernandez case.

The letter is embedded at the bottom of this post, here is the opening paragraph (emphasis mine):

It is truly appalling that you would allow the opinion writer to enlist your publication to further expose his lack of knowledge and objectivity about the workings of the criminal justice system. In this case, as in numerous prior instances, he has shown his usual bias and rendered a wholly uninformed opinion. However, this time he has crossed the journalistic line and in the minds of many, he has committed libel. How sad that you and editorial staff were completely complicit with these actions. It is one thing to criticize a public official…some even believe it is expected. It is nothing short of libelous to call me or any lawyer in my office “unethical” when we are doing our jobs within the bounds of the law on an extremely complicated case. It grants no pardon that you were repeating what ”those in the legal community” told you. In fact, those lawyers are bound by rules of ethics which strictly prohibit them from saying that very thing. Having their friend publish it for them does not absolve them of their ethical obligations; it merely makes them cowards who have violated the Professional Code of Ethics….  ::snipping2:: 

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/06/exclusive-prosecutor-angela-corey-letter-claiming-libel-by-florida-times-union/
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #484 on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »

Trayvon Martin's parents to deliver petition at stand-your-ground meeting

June 7, 2012|
By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel

The parents of Trayvon Martin will deliver a 340,000-signature petition next week during the first public meeting of the task force reviewing Florida's stand-your-ground law, according to a national group which opposes such laws.

Trayvon, a 17-year-old from Miami Gardens, was fatally shot Feb. 26 in Sanford. The shooter, George Zimmerman, was not initially arrested because police said they couldn't disprove his self-defense claim under the controversial law.

The law allows the use of deadly force to prevent death or great bodily injury. It did away with the requirement that a person attempt to retreat from a conflict before using force, and critics say it encourages people to "shoot first."

Gov. Rick Scott created the Citizen Safety and Protection Task Force amid outrage over the teenager's death. Its first public meeting will be held Tuesday at Northland Church in Longwood, kicking off a statewide tour of hearings.

The teen's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, will deliver a petition "calling for reform or repeal" of the law about noon, according to Second Chance on Shoot First, a coalition which combats stand-your-ground legislation.

Central Florida Urban League President Allie Braswell is also expected to attend. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and New York CityMayor Michael Bloomberg are among the group's supporters.   ::snipping2:: 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-07/news/os-trayvon-martin-stand-your-ground-petition-20120607_1_stand-your-ground-law-deadly-force-petition

I wonder if the parents realize that reform of this law would make what TM did (assuming he was defending himself - which I do not believe) illegal? TM would have likely killed GZ if you believe that he was on top and smashing GZ head into the ground.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #485 on: June 08, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

Trayvon’s parents want to make America less violent
June 7 '12

As Chicago dealt with yet another deadly weekend of violence where 10 people were killed and nearly three dozen injured, the parents of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin were in town to talk about the impact of gun violence on communities. Speaking at the national headquarters for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton choked back tears as they told their story of being the parents of a murdered teen.

“As any of you know as parents, or family members of slain victims, to look at a crime scene photo, it’s very disturbing,” said Martin. “It was certainly very disturbing to see that picture of my son on the ground dead. That will be ingrained in my memory for the rest of my life.”

Trayvon’s father said he is even more disappointed that unlike the situation with his son, most Black males being killed are the victims of other Black males.

Trayvon, 17, was shot by neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman in February. Zimmerman is of mixed heritage. “While the race of the killer really does little to change anything when a person dies; because death is death, we should still be concerned when we look at the number of young Black men dying at the hands of their fellow brothers,” Martin said.

Fulton said every day is a struggle for her and Trayvon’s father and siblings. She said while the family has been in the public spotlight as a show of solidarity, in private they still are grieving Trayvon’s death like thousands of other families across the country who have lost loved ones. Fulton said she and Martin feel it is their duty as parents to keep Trayvon’s case in the public’s conscious to see that justice is done.

“We are the voice of Trayvon Martin…He’s not here to speak for himself so we as his parents have decided instead of sitting back and not doing anything, this is what we have decided to do, to help our community and to help other parents,” Fulton said.

She also added that all of America can play a role in reducing violence. Fulton said since her son’s death, she has heard from people from all communities who are outraged, not just the African American community. She said the outpouring of support has helped the family and she is trying to use that positive energy to make big changes in society’s behavior.

“I think for too long some people have looked at the violence in America as mostly an African American and Latino issue,” Fulton said. “I believe more people are seeing that violence is everywhere and you have to care about violence in other communities not just what is happening in your own neighborhood.” Trayvon’s parents, along with their attorney Benjamin Crump, participated in a forum about violence in the Black community. Crump said the solution to the problems facing the Black community will come from within and outside the community.

Nearly 30,000 people a year die as a result of gun violence in the United States, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An additional 100,000 people a year are injured, requiring emergency medical treatment and hospitalization, which contributes to the strain being put on public health agencies around the country.

“If it can happen to my son, it can happen to your son,” Crump said. “None of us are safe until all of us are safe.”

Fulton said she believes part of the problem of violence is racial profiling that takes place by police and by individuals like Zimmerman. She said she believes if her son was white, he would have never been followed by Zimmerman that night in Florida when Trayvon was killed. She said she believes Zimmerman followed Trayvon because of his race or what he was wearing, which led to the confrontation between the two that should have never ensued.  ::snipping2:: 

http://milwaukeecourieronline.com/index.php/2012/06/07/trayvons-parents-want-to-make-america-less-violent/

I don't know what to think of this.  It sounds a little bit like trying to rehabilitate Sabrina's and Tracy's image from racist pot stirrers into save our children champions with TM the poster boy for all teenagers
who died in violent ways.  I don't buy it.

If they were only concerned with teenagers who died deaths due to unnecessary violence, why all the whitewashing of TM's character?  Why did they allow Sharpton, Jackson and the New Black Panthers to stir the racial pot?

Don't get me wrong.  I think the issue of teenagers dying from violence at each others hands needs to be addressed.  But this isn't what this case is about.

Challapalca him!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #486 on: June 08, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/Stand_Your_Ground_Task_Force_Meeting_Tuesday_158213695.html?ref=695

Posted: 3:34 PM Jun 8, 2012
Stand Your Ground Task Force Meeting Tuesday

The 17-member Stand Your Ground Task Force is going to Ground Zero. It will meet Tuesday in Longwood, 12 miles from the gated subdivision where Trayvon Martin died. Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll says the location is not a coincidence.

“The situation with Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman occurred there. It’s a matter of healing too, because I don’t believe that the citizens have had an opportunity to really voice their opinion,” said Lt. Governor Carroll.

Since the task force’s initial meeting on May 1st, a web site has received more than 1700 emails. Most are pro gun.
 ::snipping2::

Of the 25 messages available online Friday, only one, from a Manatee County woman, suggested the law needed fixing and that the concealed carry law needed to be eliminated.

The Lieutenant Governor is one of four task force members who voted for the initial legislation. She says the final task force recommendation will be based on hard data, now being collected by the College of Law at the University of Florida.

“So we’ll be able to get statistical data back to the task force to show whether we have fairness,” said Lt. Governor Carroll.

The Task Force’s recommendation isn’t expected until early next year.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #487 on: June 08, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/08/usa-florida-shooting-phone-idUSL1E8H8DZN20120608

Florida man seeks damages after getting killer's number
Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:32pm EDT

ORLANDO, Fla., June 8 (Reuters) - A Florida man said on Friday he feared for his life after receiving a rash of threatening calls on a new cell phone he got with a number previously used by the killer of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin.

Lawyer Robert Trimble said he was seeking unspecified damages for his client, former convict Junior Alexander Guy, from cellphone provider T-Mobile for the flood of enraged calls and death threats he got over the phone.

Trimble and Guy said Guy purchased the phone -- the first he had ever owned -- after being released from serving more than 19 years in prison for drug trafficking.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #488 on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:53 AM »

Please make it a habit of copying the date of the article along with the headline and when posting a snippet and the link.  Often the date is very important! 
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #489 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:40 AM »

Trayvon’s parents want to make America less violent
June 7 '12

As Chicago dealt with yet another deadly weekend of violence where 10 people were killed and nearly three dozen injured, the parents of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin were in town to talk about the impact of gun violence on communities. Speaking at the national hyeadquarters for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton choked back tears as they told their story of being the parents of a murdered teen.

“As any of you know as parents, or family members of slain victims, to look at a crime scene photo, it’s very disturbing,” said Martin. “It was certainly very disturbing to see that picture of my son on the ground dead. That will be ingrained in my memory for the rest of my life.”

Trayvon’s father said he is even more disappointed that unlike the situation with his son, most Black males being killed are the victims of other Black males.

Trayvon, 17, was shot by neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman in February. Zimmerman is of mixed heritage. “While the race of the killer really does little to change anything when a person dies; because death is death, we should still be concerned when we look at the number of young Black men dying at the hands of their fellow brothers,” Martin said.

Fulton said every day is a struggle for her and Trayvon’s father and siblings. She said while the family has been in the public spotlight as a show of solidarity, in private they still are grieving Trayvon’s death like thousands of other families across the country who have lost loved ones. Fulton said she and Martin feel it is their duty as parents to keep Trayvon’s case in the public’s conscious to see that justice is done.

“We are the voice of Trayvon Martin…He’s not here to speak for himself so we as his parents have decided instead of sitting back and not doing anything, this is what we have decided to do, to help our community and to help other parents,” Fulton said.

She also added that all of America can play a role in reducing violence. Fulton said since her son’s death, she has heard from people from all communities who are outraged, not just the African American community. She said the outpouring of support has helped the family and she is trying to use that positive energy to make big changes in society’s behavior.

“I think for too long some people have looked at the violence in America as mostly an African American and Latino issue,” Fulton said. “I believe more people are seeing that violence is everywhere and you have to care about violence in other communities not just what is happening in your own neighborhood.” Trayvon’s parents, along with their attorney Benjamin Crump, participated in a forum about violence in the Black community. Crump said the solution to the problems facing the Black community will come from within and outside the community.

Nearly 30,000 people a year die as a result of gun violence in the United States, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An additional 100,000 people a year are injured, requiring emergency medical treatment and hospitalization, which contributes to the strain being put on public health agencies around the country.

“If it can happen to my son, it can happen to your son,” Crump said. “None of us are safe until all of us are safe.”

Fulton said she believes part of the problem of violence is racial profiling that takes place by police and by individuals like Zimmerman. She said she believes if her son was white, he would have never been followed by Zimmerman that night in Florida when Trayvon was killed. She said she believes Zimmerman followed Trayvon because of his race or what he was wearing, which led to the confrontation between the two that should have never ensued.  ::snipping2:: 

http://milwaukeecourieronline.com/index.php/2012/06/07/trayvons-parents-want-to-make-america-less-violent/

I don't know what to think of this.  It sounds a little bit like trying to rehabilitate Sabrina's and Tracy's image from racist pot stirrers into save our children champions with TM the poster boy for all teenagers
who died in violent ways.  I don't buy it.

If they were only concerned with teenagers who died deaths due to unnecessary violence, why all the whitewashing of TM's character?  Why did they allow Sharpton, Jackson and the New Black Panthers to stir the racial pot?

Don't get me wrong.  I think the issue of teenagers dying from violence at each others hands needs to be addressed.  But this isn't what this case is about.

agree with u & also dont know this mother can state as if it were fact that if her son was not black that this would not have occured. Just a way to continue with making this all about race. I refuse to believe it considering  gz history of support of blacks & his own minority background. Again, he made wrong choices by pursuing this kid, but i dont think he was out to kill a black kid that night. Jmo
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #490 on: June 09, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/five_stand_your_ground_cases_y.html

Five 'Stand Your Ground' cases you should know about
Published: Friday, June 08, 2012, 2:14 PM     Updated: Friday, June 08, 2012, 5:56 PM

The Stand Your Ground law is most widely associated with the Feb. 26 shooting death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old killed in Florida by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch captain who claimed he was acting in self-defense.

But as a recent Tampa Bay Times investigation indicates, the Martin incident is far from the only example of the law's reach in Florida. The paper identified nearly 200 instances since 2005 where the state's Stand Your Ground law has played a factor in prosecutors' decisions, jury acquittals or a judge's call to throw out the charges. (Not all the cases involved killings. Some involved assaults where the person didn't die.)

The law removes a person's duty to retreat before using deadly force against another in any place he has the legal right to be – so long as he reasonably believed he or someone else faced imminent death or great bodily harm. Among the Stand Your Ground cases identified by the paper, defendants went free nearly 70 percent of the time.

Although Florida was the first to enact a Stand Your Ground law, 24 other states enforce similar versions. Using the Tampa Bay findings and others, we've highlighted some of the most notable cases where a version of the Stand Your Ground law has led to freedom from criminal prosecution:
· In January, a judge in Miami tossed out a second-degree murder charge against Greyston Garcia after he chased a suspected burglar for more than a block and stabbed him to death. The judge decided the stabbing was justified because the burglar had swung a bag of stolen car radios at Garcia – an object that a medical examiner at a hearing testified could cause "serious harm or death." The judge found Garcia was "well within his rights to pursue the victim and demand the return of his property."
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

June 9, 2012
The Lynching of George Zimmerman

George Zimmerman's public image took a blow when a judge revoked his bond, alleging that Zimmerman willfully misled the court concerning his financial situation.  The fact that he's back in jail makes him appear guilty in the public's eye, and that's what matters.  Whether or not Zimmerman misled the court is immaterial.  In fact, his guilt or innocence is immaterial.  His trial has transcended justice; it's now about capitalizing on opportunity.

Zimmerman has maintained since day one that Trayvon Martin instigated their fatal confrontation.  Zimmerman's various injuries coupled with autopsy results revealing Martin's injured knuckles tend to support his story.  That evidence might be the reason why he wasn't charged immediately after the shooting.  Yet he remains guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of many, including the federal government and national media.

Could there be an orchestrated campaign between government and media entities to see this man imprisoned, or even executed?  Despite the physical evidence of which we're aware, an apparent lack of credible witnesses on either side of the case, and expert legal opinion belittling Florida's case against Zimmerman, the FBI has launched a hate crime investigation against him.  And it could stick.

We might logically believe that the Fifth Amendment's protection against double jeopardy would compel the Justice Department to abandon the case if Zimmerman is acquitted.  Not necessarily.  According to Cleveland State Professor Jonathan Witmer-Rich, Supreme Court precedent has established a narrow threshold for claiming double jeopardy.  "The double jeopardy clause would not prohibit a federal prosecution of Mr. Zimmerman, even if he were acquitted in Florida state court," Prof. Rich states, although he believes that the likelihood of federal prosecution following a state acquittal is small.

However, FBI involvement means Department of Justice involvement, which in turn means Eric Holder involvement.  Mr. Holder's idea of judicial impartiality is, shall we say, conflicted.

Under Holder's management, the Justice Department engaged in a gun-running operation that if done privately would've sent all involved parties to the darkest of prisons.  Imagine you or me being caught smuggling weapons to Mexican drug lords and coercing legitimate domestic firearms dealers to participate.  And Holder's disregard for justice doesn't end there, nor does the media's capitulation.

Not content to simply ignore the New Black Panthers' voter intimidation efforts, Holder closed the ongoing investigation.  Neither he nor his predecessor investigated a hate crime when five blacks kidnapped, raped, tortured, murdered, and mutilated Channon Christian and Christopher Newsome.  There was no national outrage and no political speechifying.  Christian's and Newsome's brutal deaths barely registered with the national media.

For example, a search for "Channon Christian" on the New York Times website returned only 53 results, just three of which addressed the murdered woman.  Two of those stories were duplicates, and the third a synopsis of a television show that reviewed the crime.  In other words, the New York Times all but ignored Channon Christian's death.  Conversely, a "Trayvon Martin" search yields more than 4,000 results.  ::snipping2:: 

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/06/the_lynching_of_george_zimmerman.html#ixzz1xKVXRVlK
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #492 on: June 09, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »

I dont want to make a big quote stack so I'm refering to gracelands article at 1:50
I keep a loaded 12 gauge by the door and walk out with it every time it's an ummarked unfamiliar vehicle. My nearest neighbor is over 3/4 of a mile away and I have a dead end driveway.
Where I am going is that none of the examples in that article should fit Stand Your Ground . Dope deals , fleeing thieves. and drunk lost kids are not targets.
A good and needed law is being made a mockery of by every yahoo that gets their panties in a wad.
I propose a new law "Stand Your Ground But Use Some Common Sense"  

Here's a link to grace-land's post.  MB  http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=12964.msg1528692#msg1528692
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:12:52 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #493 on: June 09, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »

I dont want to make a big quote stack so I'm refering to gracelands article at 1:50
I keep a loaded 12 gauge by the door and walk out with it every time it's an ummarked unfamiliar vehicle. My nearest neighbor is over 3/4 of a mile away and I have a dead end driveway.
Where I am going is that none of the examples in that article should fit Stand Your Ground . Dope deals , fleeing thieves. and drunk lost kids are not targets.
A good and needed law is being made a mockery of by every yahoo that gets their panties in a wad.
I propose a new law "Stand Your Ground But Use Some Common Sense"  

Here's a link to grace-land's post.  MB  http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=12964.msg1528692#msg1528692

In Marietta, GA and in some places in LA, there are ordinances requiring citizens to own guns!

You and everyone else have the right to own a gun and protect you and yours. The BOR provides us with that right.

I learned in gun safety school:  Don't pull a gun, unless you intend on using it!  And for the women:  shoot right thru the handbag.  The handbag can be replaced - you can't.

Challapalca him!
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »

This is been bugging me Smile

How does a guest enter the grounds, of where GZ and Mr. Martin and his grillfriend lived?

I mean, if I was invited to dinner at a home in a gated community, how the fudge do I
enter?  I am not Casper the Ghost. Did Mr. Martin know his son was on the way for a visit?

Did TM mum call the dad and say, sonny is on his way, wait for him by the gate?

If TM daddy knew his son was coming for a visit, why was he not there to meet and greet him at the gate?  What was the system prior?  If TM dad met his son, there none of this would have occurred! IMO

I am not in GZ corner (by any means), really the opposite. In all fairness, this BS would not
have happened, if someone was or if everyone, was MORE responsible

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #495 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

The driving distance from Miami, Florida to Sanford, Florida is:

245 miles / 394 km

I was wondering how TM made the trip from Miami to Sanford?

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #496 on: June 10, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-stand-your-ground-20120610,0,1514274.story

Florida's 'stand your ground' immunity hearings are unique
June 10, 2012

ORLAND0, Fla. — The nation's fixation on the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin has led many to question whether an impartial jury could be found for the trial of his killer, George Zimmerman.

But it's possible a judge, not a jury, will decide Zimmerman's fate. Zimmerman says he fired in self-defense, and many expect his lawyers will eventually ask for an immunity hearing under Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law.

Often described as a "minitrial" in which the judge serves as jury, such hearings are unlike other criminal justice proceedings.

The lawyers' roles are reversed, the burden of proof is low and the stakes couldn't be higher.

"If the judge dismisses the case, it's game over," says Eric Schwartzreich, a Fort Lauderdale attorney who has represented multiple "stand your ground" defendants since the law was passed in 2005.

Since Martin's shooting in Sanford, the law has been the subject of renewed debate. A task force created by Florida Gov. Rick Scott to reexamine "stand your ground" will hold its first public meeting this week.

The law allows civilians to use deadly force anywhere they're legally allowed to be, so long as they are not committing a crime and have a reasonable fear of death or serious injury.

When a defense lawyer files a motion for "stand your ground" immunity, a hearing is held that resembles a trial: Witnesses are called and cross-examined, evidence is introduced and lawyers make arguments.

"You basically have a trial before the trial," Jacksonville attorney Kevin Cobbin said.

The verdict is up to the judge. And because the burden to prove "stand your ground" is on the defense, the lawyers' traditional roles are flipped, with the defense on the offensive.

At least in theory, the defense doesn't have much to prove.
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #497 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-stand-your-ground-20120610,0,1514274.story

Florida's 'stand your ground' immunity hearings are unique
June 10, 2012

ORLAND0, Fla. — The nation's fixation on the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin has led many to question whether an impartial jury could be found for the trial of his killer, George Zimmerman.

But it's possible a judge, not a jury, will decide Zimmerman's fate. Zimmerman says he fired in self-defense, and many expect his lawyers will eventually ask for an immunity hearing under Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law.

Often described as a "minitrial" in which the judge serves as jury, such hearings are unlike other criminal justice proceedings.

The lawyers' roles are reversed, the burden of proof is low and the stakes couldn't be higher.

"If the judge dismisses the case, it's game over," says Eric Schwartzreich, a Fort Lauderdale attorney who has represented multiple "stand your ground" defendants since the law was passed in 2005.

Since Martin's shooting in Sanford, the law has been the subject of renewed debate. A task force created by Florida Gov. Rick Scott to reexamine "stand your ground" will hold its first public meeting this week.

The law allows civilians to use deadly force anywhere they're legally allowed to be, so long as they are not committing a crime and have a reasonable fear of death or serious injury.

When a defense lawyer files a motion for "stand your ground" immunity, a hearing is held that resembles a trial: Witnesses are called and cross-examined, evidence is introduced and lawyers make arguments.

"You basically have a trial before the trial," Jacksonville attorney Kevin Cobbin said.

The verdict is up to the judge. And because the burden to prove "stand your ground" is on the defense, the lawyerones' traditional roles are flipped, with the defense on the offensive.

At least in theory, the defense doesn't have much to prove.

That's a lot of pressure on one judge to interpret the law impartially and apolitically.  Here's where the USA could use a panel of judges.  I feel sorry for the lone judge - no matter what he decides, he already has a nation full of dissenters.

Challapalca him!
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #498 on: June 10, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-10/news/os-george-zimmerman-stand-your-ground-20120608_1_impartial-jury-immunity-hearing-defense-lawyers

Will jury, or judge, decide George Zimmerman's fate?
June 10, 2012

Credibility is key

Zimmerman is being held without bond in the Seminole County Jail on a second-degree-murder charge for the Feb. 26 shooting death of Trayvon in Sanford.

Zimmerman's lawyers haven't yet asked for an immunity hearing under "stand your ground," but other attorneys say it's typical to wait until closer to trial. The defense needs to see the evidence and interview witnesses.

"You've got to prepare for it like you're getting ready for trial," Buonauro said.

There are also risks to asking for immunity: The hearing gives the state a preview of the defense's trial strategy. And if a defendant testifies to something damaging, it's likely to reappear at trial.

The outcome rests on the judge, who typically has a much greater legal understanding than a typical juror. Buonauro said most self-defense cases aren't overly complex, but the judge's experience can play a factor.

"I think where the judge's perspective comes in is their experience in being able to weigh and determine credibility," Buonauro said. And the defendant's credibility, he said, is critical.

In Zimmerman's case, a "stand your ground" claim would rest in the hands of Judge Kenneth Lester, the same judge who just threw Zimmerman back in jail after determining he misled the court about his finances.

Lawyers agree it's likely that Zimmerman would testify if there's an immunity hearing. Whether the judge would believe him remains to be seen.

"If a jury is told to weigh the credibility of witnesses, then the judge should have that same duty," Cobbin said. "The judge should definitely weight the credibility of every witness that comes forward."
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #499 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »

I don't personally feel George is a minority.  He's half white and half white Peruvian.  All latino nations have whites and blacks.  George is a half caucasion (bio father) and half white latino (bio mother), as am I except my latino side is Puerto Rican.  I am a similar color as George (olive complexion) but I don't consider myself a minority particularly to the extent that I could never be considered unable to maintain prejudism against black people.

Just think of the precedent we are setting should GZ be found innocent:
If you are engaged in a fight and the other person is armed they are entitled to kill you unless you lose the fight and let them have the upper hand and even then they can lie and state they were in fear of their life so they chose to kill you.  Even if they have started the fight and you were protecting yourself! 

Essentially, every physical encounter can end in death... legally. 

There is already a law in place that claims self defense when you have murdered someone in self defense.  The only difference is SYG states you don't have to run.  It is GZ that was in pursuit and Trayvon who chose not to run.  Trayvon IMO had no intention of killing GZ yet he wound up murdered.

If we take race, ethnicity, drug use, past violence, community thefts, all the minutiae and preconcieved notions we may harbor (toward both GZ and TM) and focus only on the facts of the case IMO George Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Martin.

*all my opinion only

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.