March 18, 2024, 08:14:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 362638 times)
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #560 on: June 13, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »

CBC: Zimmerman acquittal could spark race riots
[CBC=Congressional Black Caucus]
June 11 '12

Race riots could ensue if George Zimmerman -- the shooter in the Trayvon Martin case -- is found not guilty of second-degree murder by a Florida jury, the Congressional Black Caucus' executive director allowed yesterday.

"I think a 'not guilty' verdict is extremely problematic in 2012," said Angela Rye, the Executive Director and General Counsel for the Congressional Black Caucus. She said, "I don't know," when asked what would happen in the event of an acquittal. "I know that folks have talked about race riots -- I don't know that. I think that we live in a day and age where people are educated enough not to do that. I know that his mother and his father have asked for peace, peaceful solutions, not repaying evil for evil, so I'm not sure. I think it would set us back . . . there's no value to racial violence or any other kind of violence."

Rye cited the media handling of the Trayvon Martin shooting as an example of racial bias. "To demonize a victim is always heavily criticized if it's a white woman, if it's a child -- but in this situation, this boy who was not alive anymore to tell his side of the story was quickly demonized, and that's where I take issue," she said.  ::snipping2:: 

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/cbc-zimmerman-acquittal-could-spark-race-riots/592491

This was extremely irresponsible of the Washington Examiner.  That is not what Angela Rye stated, nor was it even close to the full meaning of her words.

respectfully, how do u know what she meant or how she really feels. Its open for translation & i dont think it was very responsible of her to even utter the words race riots.
She actually said it would be extremely problematic if a NOT GUILTY verdict was returned.......so, what if there isn't enough evidence? IMO it would be far more problematic if they returned a guilty verdict out of fear and that is something I worry about. When she is asked the question about race riots, she does state some "I know folks have talked about race riots".....so I add 1+1 and it equals 2 .....the first stmt about the verdict being extremely problematic if it is NG and folks have talked about race riots to me = you better convict him or all hell will break loose and frankly I expect that....it already has but the press doesn't cover those stories and to be fair she was the one who mentioned race riots....

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #561 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

Trayvon Martin's father asks dads to help repeal ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
June 13 '12

In an exclusive interview with CNN’s Starting Point with Soledad O’Brien, Trayvon Martin’s father, Tracy Martin, asked dads across the country Tuesday to repeal “Stand Your Ground” laws in their states.

Both Trayvon’s father and his mother, Sybrina Fulton, agree the “Stand Your Ground” law needs to be fixed. Fulton said, “I’m not opposed to the law. I just think they need to take a closer look at the law … and really fix it.”

Fulton and Martin were on “Starting Point” to discuss the first meeting of the “Stand Your Ground” Task Force that was started by Florida Gov. Rick Scott, CNN reports.  ::snipping2::

During their first meeting Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll, who heads the Task Force, said, “What individuals have claimed this law to be is “shoot first” and that’s far from the truth because the law clearly says you have an opportunity to retreat. If you have that ability to do so, then you do so.” Carroll was a legislator when the law was created.

O’Brien pointed out that the law reads: “… a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if … He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.”

Benjamin Crump, attorney for Trayvon Martin’s parents, reminded the public of something Tracy Martin told the task force Tuesday: That the “Stand Your Ground” law creates a vigilante mentality.

Crump said, “It is a situation where it encourages you to try to take the law into your own hands if you think that you are threatened. There used to be a duty to retreat. That law has been changed now and we need to amend it – have a Trayvon Martin amendment that says you can’t pursue, you can’t initiate a confrontation and then say ‘I was standing my ground.’ Because that’s what people are doing now in America and that’s a terrible message.”

When Soledad asked Tracy Martin about his new initiative to enlist dads across the country to repeal the “Stand Your Ground” laws in their states, Martin said he’s continuing Trayvon’s legacy through this work and that he has to continue to spearhead this initiative.

“I feel that I have to stay out in front, and make sure this reaches the heart of America just to be that leader for the dads out there that don’t have a voice right now,” Martin said
 ::snipping2::

http://www.examiner.com/article/trayvon-martin-s-father-asks-dads-to-help-repeal-stand-your-ground-law
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »

George Zimmerman Fears for Wife's Safety After Mug Shot Publicized
June 13 '12

George Zimmerman is worried about his wife's safety now that she has been arrested and her mug shot publicized, his lawyer told ABC News.

Zimmerman and his wife have both been in hiding since the neighborhood watch captain shot unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla.

Shellie Zimmerman, 25, was arrested this week on perjury charges for allegedly lying to the judge at an April 20 bond hearing about being destitute while her husband's online defense fund had $135,000 in it.

After her arrest, police released her mug shot, marking the first anyone has seen Mrs. Zimmerman who has been in hiding because of death threats against her and her family. Even when she testified at the bond hearing it was done by speaker phone because she wanted to protect her identity.

"Certainly now that she's been charged with a crime he's worried about her, and also worried now that she's out in the public eye," Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara told ABC News after visiting his client in jail late Tuesday night. The lawyer said there are "legitimate safety concerns."

If convicted of the charge, Mrs. Zimmerman could be sentenced to five years in prison.

The move by prosecutors upset O'Mara because he says he was not given the professional courtesy of a warning beforehand.

Legal analysts speculate that Mrs. Zimmerman's arrest could be used as a tactic by the prosecutors to pressure her husband.

"They can always say, look, we won't prosecute your wife if you decide to plea to some sort of charge," legal analyst Mark Lippman told "Good Morning America" today. He added, "It seems pretty clear to me that this is not something they would do in a normal case."

Seminole County sheriffs picked up Mrs. Zimmerman at the home where she was in hiding on Monday, the latest fallout from a series of taped conversations that landed her husband back behind bars a week and a half ago.  ::snipping2:: 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-fears-wifes-safety-mug-shot-publicized/story?id=16557010
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #563 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »

I'd like to know if these prosecutors are as aggressive in all cases or just this one?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #564 on: June 13, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

Trayvon Martin's father asks dads to help repeal ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
June 13 '12

In an exclusive interview with CNN’s Starting Point with Soledad O’Brien, Trayvon Martin’s father, Tracy Martin, asked dads across the country Tuesday to repeal “Stand Your Ground” laws in their states.

Both Trayvon’s father and his mother, Sybrina Fulton, agree the “Stand Your Ground” law needs to be fixed. Fulton said, “I’m not opposed to the law. I just think they need to take a closer look at the law … and really fix it.”

Fulton and Martin were on “Starting Point” to discuss the first meeting of the “Stand Your Ground” Task Force that was started by Florida Gov. Rick Scott, CNN reports.  ::snipping2::

During their first meeting Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll, who heads the Task Force, said, “What individuals have claimed this law to be is “shoot first” and that’s far from the truth because the law clearly says you have an opportunity to retreat. If you have that ability to do so, then you do so.” Carroll was a legislator when the law was created.

O’Brien pointed out that the law reads: “… a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if … He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.”

Benjamin Crump, attorney for Trayvon Martin’s parents, reminded the public of something Tracy Martin told the task force Tuesday: That the “Stand Your Ground” law creates a vigilante mentality.

Crump said, “It is a situation where it encourages you to try to take the law into your own hands if you think that you are threatened. There used to be a duty to retreat. That law has been changed now and we need to amend it – have a Trayvon Martin amendment that says you can’t pursue, you can’t initiate a confrontation and then say ‘I was standing my ground.’ Because that’s what people are doing now in America and that’s a terrible message.”

When Soledad asked Tracy Martin about his new initiative to enlist dads across the country to repeal the “Stand Your Ground” laws in their states, Martin said he’s continuing Trayvon’s legacy through this work and that he has to continue to spearhead this initiative.

“I feel that I have to stay out in front, and make sure this reaches the heart of America just to be that leader for the dads out there that don’t have a voice right now,” Martin said

http://www.examiner.com/article/trayvon-martin-s-father-asks-dads-to-help-repeal-stand-your-ground-law

Memo to Crump: Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, The New Black Panthers and now Angela Rye (the Executive Director and General Counsel for the Congressional Black Caucus) create a vigilante mentality and that's a terrible message to send across America.

I'm sorry, but I have to add that Tracy, Sabrina and Crump appear to be on a grandiose delusional trip where they are going to lead the nation in sweeping reforms, save teenagers from violence, and have amendments named after Trayvon.  All in the name of peace, of course, while thrumming the drums and stirring the pot.

Like I said before, I've never lost a lost a loved one tragically, so I don't know how I would act or react.  Many who do take a new tact on life, such as John Walsh and Beth Holloway, to name a few. I can understand how helping others helps them.  However, as we witnessed with Beth, most would be satisfied with helping to save just one other family from having to experience the suffering.  Wanting to speak for a nation is a bit maniacal imo.

jmho

Challapalca him!
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #565 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »

Zimmerman and his wife should have thought about the repercussions of lying about the money that they had and they would not be in the mess they r in now, George back in jail, wife arrested and now in fear because her mug showed up in public . Who created the mess but George and his wife.
No one would be in the position that they are in now if George had stayed in his car that night and waited for the cops jmo.
What happened afterwards is anyone's guess but George's actions were what started all that transpired that night. If it turned into a stand your ground scenario, then it did, but it could have been a different outcome and George would be in jail and TM would not be dead.

Island Monkey...agree with your above post. Did not want to stack

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #566 on: June 13, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »

S/b George would NOT be in jail..sorry for the correction . Hard to type on a little keyboard lol

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #567 on: June 13, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »

I'd like to know if these prosecutors are as aggressive in all cases or just this one?

JMO - but I think Corey is off the rails big time, and she was the same way with another case recently....a woman shot her gun and she said it was a warning shot, who knows the truth but she hit no one and IIRC was a battered wife/girlfriend and she got 20 yrs in the pokey.....I think that one is an outrage too. I'd love to know more about her other cases, and I do think the arrest of Shellie was to apply pressure, plead to ______ and we won't send your wife to jail. Then all the stories about calling and threatening Harvard for Alan D's comments and she did this once before, well that is nutz....last I checked we all have the right to free speech.

I do think she sees this case as her "I'm going to make my mark" case and is prosecuting it that way.... Now, I wonder how many ppl who have a legit reason to shoot someone for fear of their life or child's life will end up raped, and dead because they fear prosecution?

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #568 on: June 13, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »

Zimmerman and his wife should have thought about the repercussions of lying about the money that they had and they would not be in the mess they r in now, George back in jail, wife arrested and now in fear because her mug showed up in public . Who created the mess but George and his wife.
No one would be in the position that they are in now if George had stayed in his car that night and waited for the cops jmo.
What happened afterwards is anyone's guess but George's actions were what started all that transpired that night. If it turned into a stand your ground scenario, then it did, but it could have been a different outcome and George would be in jail and TM would not be dead.

Hi Cookie- ITA with yours too, but I am almost sure that SYG is no longer a factor and now it is self defense....who know though, I wonder when or I should say IF the race crap is going to go away....oh, WTH am I thinkng it is an election year-maybe that is what Rye meant about a NG verdict being probematic in 2012. Disgusting and more will be caught in the cross fire of this crap (race baiting) to incite, pressure and instill fear in whomever sits on that jury to vote Guilty no matter what the evidence shows. 

[
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #569 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

George Zimmerman's case could be hurt by wife's arrest
Edit to add date per Toler.  MB June 13, 2012

::snipping2::  So how can Shellie Zimmerman's arrest hurt George's case?

First, credibility remains a factor for the Zimmermans, especially if his attorney will claim self-defense. George Zimmerman told Sanford police Trayvon Martin attacked him first the night he shot and killed the teen.

The motion to dismiss the charges based on self-defense or Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law would be decided by Judge Kenneth Lester, but credibility is important for witnesses as well, and the wife of the accused would no doubt be an important one.

Legal analyst Joy Ragan, an Orlando defense attorney, said she thinks the prosecution will use Shellie Zimmerman's arrest to their favor.

"I think what the prosecution will do will offer a short amount of jail time, but insist the she is a convicted felon so that her credibility will be tarnished later. So she won't become a defense witness," said Ragan.

This case against George Zimmerman still has a long way to go before it reaches trial. The rest of the state's evidence still needs to be released.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/6/13/zimmerman_wife_perju.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:25:31 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #570 on: June 13, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »

Ooops, sorry! Date is June 13 '12 on previous post...    Added it.  MB
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:26:55 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #571 on: June 13, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/06/perjury-charge-against-shellie-zimmerman-raises-more-questions-of-prosecutorial-overcharging/

Perjury charge against Shellie Zimmerman raises more questions of prosecutorial overcharging
Posted by William A. Jacobson   Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 12:20pm

So it is fair to ask, having charged perjury, what is the specific false statement made by Shellie Zimmerman?

The Criminal Information (embedded at the bottom of this post) does not say. Instead, the Information recites testimony, phone call transcripts, and evidence of money received and transferred. Again, that all is relevant to whether George deceived the Court at the bond hearing.

But nowhere in the criminal Information or Affidavit of Probable Cause is a specific sentence or set of words identified as false with an explanation of why it was false.

I think there is a reason for this. Many of the answers of Shellie were non-committal. Since the prosecution does not specify which statements were false, here are some possibilities taken from the testimony quoted in the Affidavit of Probable  Cause:

Q. Other major assets that you have which you can liquidate reasonably to assist
 in coming up with money for a bond?
 A. None that I know of.

What are “major assets”? Isn’t that a matter of opinion? Similarly, what does “reasonably” mean? Isn’t that also a mater of judgment, not a fact? The same lack of clarity accrues to “liquidate.” If the alleged funds already were liquid, the funds could not be liquidated again.

Q. I have discussed with you the pending motion to have your husband George
 declared indigent for cost, have I not?
 A. Yes, you have.
 Q. And is – - are you of any financial means where you can assist in those costs?
 A. Uhrn, not- – not that I’m aware of.

This question by defense counsel brings into play another conversation — not recited in the Information — as to what was in the pending motion and the discussions outside of court. What was her understanding of who owned the funds, what they could be used for, and whether they were her funds (“are you of any financial means”). If the funds belonged to George or to his defense fund, they were not Shellie’s financial means.

Q: I understand that you do have other family members present with you, and I’ll
 ask some more questions of them, but have you had discussions with them of at
 least trying to pull together some funds to accomplish a bond?
 A: We have discussed that—
 Q: Okay
 A: —-trying to pull together the members of the family to scrape up anything that
 we possibly can.

It’s not clear at all what could be false about this, unless Shellie did not actually have discussions with family members. Again, possible deception, but not a false statement.

Here is the entire segment quoted in the Affidavit of Probable Cause from the prosecutions examination of Shellie (emphasis mine):

Q. And you mentioned also, in terms of the ability of your husband to make a
 bond amount, that you all had no money, is that correct?
 A. To my knowledge, that is correct.
 Q: Were you aware of the website that Mr. Zimmerman or somebody on his
 behalf created?
 A: I’m aware of that website.
 Q: How much money is in that website right now? How much money as a result
 of that website was —
 A: Currently, I do not know.
 Q: Do you have any estimate as to how much money has already been obtained
 or collected?
 A: I do not.

Notice the specific wording of the questions and answers. I think the best case for perjury was the response to the question whether “you all had no money.” But in the very next question the issue of the website fundraising was raised, and she said she doesn’t “currently” know how much is “in that website right now” or how much was raised “as a result.” The word “currently” suggest that at the moment she was testifying she didn’t know, which may have been correct. Similarly the denial that she had “an estimate” would only be false if at the time of testifying Shellie had an estimate.

It may sound like I’m nitpicking the questions and answers, but that’s what’s at issue in a perjury prosecution.

This Court has held that statements alleged to be perjurious must be of “empirical fact” and not of opinion, belief or perception…. One of the essential elements of perjury in official proceedings is that the person making the statement does not believe it to be true… The questions posed to elicit perjured testimony must be asked with the appropriate specificity necessary to result in an equally specific statement of fact.

Cohen v. State, 985 So.2d 1207 (Fla. App. 3 Dist. 2008)(citations omitted).

Instead of specifying the words which constituted empirical statement of fact that knowingly were false and why, the prosecution presents testimony and then evidence, and only generally and vagues states that a false statement was made.

I am not excusing the conduct of the Zimmermans as to the bond hearing. I understand why the Judge feels he was deceived.

I am questioning the bringing of a felony perjury charge without greater specificity of the false statements, particularly while the alleged perjurer’s husband is awaiting trial in a highly publicized case.

Just more questions as to how this prosecution is being handled.
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #572 on: June 13, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

Hi Cookie- ITA with yours too, but I am almost sure that SYG is no longer a factor and now it is self defense....who know though, I wonder when or I should say IF the race crap is going to go away....oh, WTH am I thinkng it is an election year-maybe that is what Rye meant about a NG verdict being probematic in 2012. Disgusting and more will be caught in the cross fire of this crap (race baiting) to incite, pressure and instill fear in whomever sits on that jury to vote Guilty no matter what the evidence shows. 

I rather doubt this case will be adjucated by early Nov 2012. It could be postponed for months, if not years, by pretrial motions. Then there could be a lengthy jury selection, months of drawn out testimonies, and a long jury debate.

Challapalca him!
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #573 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »

So far, you and I are totally on the same page with most of our views concerning this case

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #574 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-13/news/os-george-zimmerman-records-20120613_1_law-enforcement-high-profile-cases-second-degree-murder

Zimmerman judge: Prosecutor must release Zimmerman's statements to cops
By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel
1:48 p.m. EST, June 13, 2012

Within the next two weeks, the public will know exactly what George Zimmerman, in his own words, told authorities about the night he shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Judge Kenneth Lester on Tuesday issued an order granting, in part, a motion filed by several media companies -- including the Orlando Sentinel -- seeking to have evidence in the case released that had previously been withheld from the public.

Prosecutors argued that Zimmerman's statements to law enforcement should remain sealed, under an exemption in Florida's public records law that bars the release of confessions. Zimmerman admits to shooting the Miami Gardens tee, but says he did so in self-defense.

After reviewing Zimmerman's statements, Lester concluded that they are not confessions.

Zimmerman "does not acknowledge guilt of the essential elements of the crime. The only element conceded by the defendant is that he shot and killed the victim, but he does not concede any other elements of second-degree murder."

Lester ordered the statements released within 15 days.

The judge did not, however, grant other requests of the media -- chief among them, the names of unidentified civilian witnesses in the case. Lester wrote that identifying them would subject them to intense scrutiny and possible intimidation and present a "serious and imminent threat" to a fair trial.

"The innocent witnesses who have performed their civic or moral duty by reporting what they observed to law enforcement should not have their lives turned upside-down for having done so," he wrote.

Lester acknowledged that, in the past, that information has been public, even in high profile cases. But, Lester wrote, "the world has changed."

"Any person who has logged onto a news website in the last three months has at the least seen a headline relating to this case," he wrote, adding that stories "have routinely been disseminated presenting opinion and rumors as fact."

Among Lester's other rulings: "Tests" performed on Zimmerman, likely referring to a voice-stress test performed by police, the rough equivalent of a lie-detector test, can be made public, but most of Zimmerman's phone records will not be.

Thousands of emails sent to police about the case will be released but not photos depicting Trayvon's body.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #575 on: June 13, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/06/crime-photos-autopsy-to-be-released-in-trayvon-martin-case/1

Jun 13, 2012
Crime photos, autopsy to be released in Trayvon Martin case

Florida Judge Kenneth Lester has ordered the release of more material in the Trayvon Martin case, including crime scene photos, an autopsy report and tests conducted on George Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the killing of the unarmed teenager.

Lester ordered the material released within 15 days, USA TODAY's Yamiche Alcindor reports.

The judge, however, ruled that the names of the witnesses in the case will be withheld, along with photos of the teen's body.

Also being released:

•Zimmerman's statements to police
•Zimmerman's calls to 911 and the Sanford, Fla., police
•Comments by "Witness Nine"
•E-mails to Sanford police about the case
•E-mails from witnesses to Sanford police, with their names redacted.
•Transcripts of Zimmerman's jailhouse calls
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #576 on: June 13, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »

Judge Lester's order to release materials.

http://www.flcourts18.org/presspublic.html

06-13-12     Order on The State's Motion for Protective Order and the Media Intervener's Motions to Intervene

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/SKMBT_363-V12061312310.pdf
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/12/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
George Zimmerman`s Wife Arrested for Perjury; Woman Allegedly Set on Fire by Ex-Boyfriend; Father Kills to Defend Daughter
Aired June 12, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

Meantime, we`ve got late-breaking news in the Trayvon Martin shooting case. The wife of accused killer, George Zimmerman, has been arrested for lying to the judge in court. Did George and Shellie Zimmerman conspire to hide cash, pretending they were flat broke when they really weren`t? How is this new charge going to affect George Zimmerman`s murder trial? We`ve got the very latest right here next.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)
VELEZ-MITCHEL (voice-over): Tonight, blockbuster developments in the Trayvon Martin shooting. Shooter George Zimmerman`s wife has just been arrested and booked. We`ll tell you why.

And was it restraining order revenge? Cops say a Florida man set the mother of his son on fire at a 7-Eleven and chased her with a knife, all caught on tape. You`ll see the video here. And I`ll talk to another woman who was set ablaze by her estranged husband. Is the law doing enough to protect women targeted by their exes?

And cops say a dad walked in on a man sexually molesting his 4-year- old daughter. So he killed him. So, if he beat the man to death while trying to protect his little girl, should he even be charged?

Then, just when we thought she was putting her troubles behind her, Lindsay Lohan involved in yet another car crash. New disturbing allocations emerging. Was she trying to hide a secret pink bag from police?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He is in custody now. He`s going to remain there.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A judge revoked his bond Friday, saying he misled the court about his finances and an unsurrendered passport.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: They also accused the couple of speaking in code somehow about donations from a Web site that he set up.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We have the jail calls the defendant made to his wife.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Doesn`t it tell you where his mindset is? "I can skate. I can just kind of convince them that I`m telling the truth."

BENJAMIN CRUMP, LAWYER FOR TRAYVON MARTIN`S FAMILY: His credibility is the most important thing in this entire case.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Zimmerman, who had been living in an undisclosed location due to threats on his life, is charged with second-degree murder.

MARK O`MARA, ATTORNEY FOR GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: He`s worried about himself. He`s worried about his wife. He`s worried about his family.

CRUMP: They`ve always believed, if the shoe was on the other foot, that Trayvon Martin would have been put in jail on day one, and he would not have been given bail.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If this wasn`t relevant to bond, then why did they lie about it?

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, a shocking twist in the Trayvon Martin shooting case. Take a look at this. It is the mug shot of shooter George Zimmerman`s wife, Shellie. She was arrested late this afternoon for perjury. Prosecutors say she lied to a judge, just as her husband did.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We have the jail calls the defendant made to his wife and to other people, and I`ll focus specifically on his wife, Shellie Zimmerman, in which he repeatedly tells her about the money, about moving the money and transferring from one position to the other.

So both Mrs. Zimmerman and the defendant -- the defendant through Mrs. Zimmerman, lied to this court about the amount of money they had.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: George, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who was charged with second-degree murder, was free on bond. But then you remember, he was ordered back to jail for not being truthful.

George claimed he was broke when he actually had access to tons of cash through the Web site set up to support his defense in this highly charged case. So, yes, it was back to jail for George.

Well, now it appears prosecutors zeroing in on his wife, saying she also lied about how much money they had in their bank account. She`s even accused of moving thousands of dollars to another account right before his first bond hearing when she testified over the phone. Remember this?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You mentioned also in terms of the ability of your husband now that you all have no money, is that correct?

SHELLIE ZIMMERMAN, WIFE (via phone): To my knowledge that`s correct.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Were you aware that Mr. Zimmerman or somebody on his behalf created?

S. ZIMMERMAN: I`m aware of that Web site.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And how much money is in that right now? How much money as a result of that Web site is...?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Currently, I do not know.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Shellie Zimmerman was arrested on one count of knowingly making a false statement. And less than three hours ago she was released on $1,000 bond.

Straight out to Natalie Jackson, the attorney for the family of shooting victim Trayvon Martin. Natalie, thank you for joining us tonight.

What do you make, and what does the Martin family make of this stunning new development?

NATALIE JACKSON, ATTORNEY FOR TRAYVON MARTIN`S FAMILY: Well, I think that -- well, we think that Angela Corey did the absolute right thing. The foundation of our judicial system is based on witnesses telling the truth. So this is a message for not only in this case but in all cases that, when you come into a courtroom, you must tell the truth. And the American justice system depends on that.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Michelle Suskauer, criminal defense attorney out of West Palm Beach, do you agree this was fair?

MICHELLE SUSKAUER, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, I think that they definitely have it out for this family. You know, these are -- prosecutors don`t really charge people with perjury too often, but they are really gunning for this family. And the pun is definitely not intended.

So they -- they`re after George Zimmerman. They`re after Shellie. And what are they going to gain from this? I just don`t know. This is a third-degree felony. She`s not going to go to prison for this. I don`t think that this was necessary.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Wow. OK. Mark Eiglarsh, criminal defense attorney, you`ve heard both sides now. What say you?

MARK EIGLARSH, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: I disagree with my dear friend, Michelle Suskauer. You know, being in the criminal justice system for 20 years, I`ve seen how miscarriages of justice take place when people lie. And, you know, if you let it go by, in spite of clear -- what appears to be clear overwhelming evidence of perjury, then what you`re saying is it`s OK. Anyone can do it. Let it go.

And I think that it needs to send a message to other people that there are severe consequences when you come into court and lie.
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, let me tell you, here`s what I think. I think this is war. You remember when Mark O`Mara at the bond hearing turned it into a mini-trial and actually embarrassed prosecutors, because some people didn`t know certain things, hadn`t seen -- and this was one of the first court hearings on this whole issue. One of the investigators for the prosecution hadn`t seen George Zimmerman`s medical records. And everybody was up in arms about, oh my gosh, was a special prosecutor prepared with her case?

Well, guess what? Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. And it would appear to me that this is a high-stakes war going on, a legal war. And no holds barred. Yes, the wife is going to jail. Even though she bailed out.

Let`s go to the phone lines. Judy, Michigan, your question or thought, Judy.

CALLER: Yes, Jane. I hear that the defense is still using the "stand your ground" law for George Zimmerman. And I wonder why Trayvon isn`t afforded the same right. He was being attacked by someone with a gun. And he was visiting his father. There`s no other way for him to get there. Why isn`t he afforded the right of having the "stand your ground" law?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, tragically, he is not here anymore to make any claims, except through evidence that we`ve collected about what happened that night.

Now, prosecutors say, getting back to this extraordinary issue of essentially the wife of this man charged with second-degree murder being taken to jail and bailing out. Let`s give you a little back story here.

There was a crucial bond hearing where George and Shellie, his wife, claimed they were flat broke. OK. That allowed him to get out of jail after posting just 15 grand on a second-degree murder charge.

Here`s a transcript that prosecutors say proves George and his wife were lying about that, that they had talked in code beforehand from jail in a jailhouse phone call.

"George: `In my account, do I have at least $100?`

"Wife: `No.`

"George: `How close am I?`

"Wife: `Eight, 8-60.`

"George: Really? So everything total, how much we`re looking at?`

"Wife -- Wife: "A hundred and fifty-five.`"

Now, prosecutors said, and I`ll throw this back to Natalie Jackson, Trayvon Martin`s family`s attorney. The prosecution said when Shellie was saying the words "one hundred and fifty-five," she was actually talking about $155,000. That is extraordinary that these two actually thought they could talk in code and get away with this.

JACKSON: And that`s what the prosecutor said at the bond hearing. That was one of the reasons the bond was revoked. And I -- you know, I would offer that that`s one of the reasons that Shellie Zimmerman was jailed today.

Once again, it`s a very irresponsible message to tell people that it`s OK for whatever reason, as long as you have a good reason, that you can lie in court. That`s not the message. That`s not what our judicial system says. And I think that this is a strong, responsible message that we`re going to follow the law in this case.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, I`ve just got a look at the psychological side here. Take a look at Shellie Zimmerman`s mug shot. We are seeing her for the first time. Remember, she testified over the phone. This lady does not look happy, Michelle Suskauer.

SUSKAUER: Of course not. Why would she be happy? This is a family - - look, this -- in my opinion -- certainly, and I agree with Mark and Natalie, nobody should be coming into court and intentionally lying.

But hey, we also do have a presumption of innocence here. So she was charged, but she wasn`t convicted of perjury yet. OK? So -- but again, this family is under tremendous stress. So I think we need to take that into consideration.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, what I will say is when you`re dealing with a mega-case like this, it`s always dramatic twists and turns that always go outside the narrow boundaries that one is expecting and that usually occur with a minor case. In a major case, it`s no holds barred war. And that`s what we`re seeing there between both sides.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #578 on: June 13, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »

Warning......I have yet to vet everything on this site, but if 1/10th is true Angela Corey and her cronies need to be under the jail. I will dig into this later, but have to get ready and still need a shower but sitting here in jammies posting on SM  but you know it is addicting.

http://www.neilsoutherlandcoverup.com/Breaking_News.php

JSO cop Jim T. Carey taken right after murdering Neil

RIP  JAMES D. JACKSON JR. 1980-1999
 RIP  NEIL SOUTHERLAND     1979- 2009, two unarmed men shot to death in handcuffs by JSO cop Jim T. Carey

If you are reading this website for the first time you have probably been told the story of Neil Southerland through the media as a drunk and high violent man intentionally ramming his pickup truck and trailer into police vehicles twice then was shot to death in his truck by a hero cop in order to protect the life of a civilian ride along.

The truth is Neil was not a dangerous person, not high, and drove slowly. The first so-called "crash" was when he lightly bumped into a push bumper once unintentionally and the second actual crash was when an officer accidentally plowed his patrol car into the back of Neil's trailer after aggressively tailgating him during a foggy and dark night.

Neil was murdered by a cop on steroids shooting him 7 times to death when handcuffed a little over 3 feet in front of his truck's door. Then his body staged to make it look like he been shot inside of it. The police department later falsified the call log document to say he died much sooner.

The Assistant State Attorney (Angela Corey) who would later declare it a justifiable shooting helped cover everything up from the beginning.

[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #579 on: June 13, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »

So far, you and I are totally on the same page with most of our views concerning this case

I noticed that too....I think other than the slore's case this is a first for us

[
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.