March 28, 2024, 04:49:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 363384 times)
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #640 on: June 18, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/george-zimmermans-phone-calls-jail_n_1605592.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D170832

George Zimmerman's Jailhouse Calls To Wife Reveal Couple's Alleged Plan To Hide Funds (AUDIO)

Posted: 06/18/2012 1:17 pm Updated: 06/18/2012 3:57 pm

The special prosecutor in the case of George Zimmerman, the Florida man accused of murdering 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, released a half-dozen recorded jailhouse phone conversations between Zimmerman and his wife, Shellie, which prosecutors say reveal the couple's plans to conceal more than $130,000 of donated money via transfers between their personal bank accounts.

The release of the recordings comes just a week after Shellie Zimmerman was arrested and charged with perjury for lying under oath about the family's financial status during an April hearing in which her husband was granted bond.

Prosecutors say that while George and Shellie Zimmerman told the judge under oath that they were broke, and their lawyer requested a low bond because of the couple's dire financial situation, they were instead paying off credit card bills and transferring funds into his wife's personal bank account from a Paypal account linked to a website to raise defense funds.

In a call on April 12 Zimmerman tells his wife how happy he is about all of the money pouring in from website.

"Oh, man, that feels good… that there are people in America that care," George Zimmerman tells Shellie. "Yeah they do," she responds.

Shellie Zimmerman then tells George how so many people had gone to the website that it crashed several times.

“It makes me feel happy and to lay here and um be okay,” George Zimmerman tells his wife during that phone conversation.

“I’m so happy to know that you’re gonna be okay,” Shellie Zimmerman says. “After this… you’re gonna be able to just, have a great life,”

“We will,” Zimmerman said.

The call was made the day after Zimmerman was arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

::snipping2::

IMO George Zimmerman is a liar, if he lied about the money, what else did he lie about. He is NOT credible

I don't think either side has much credibility. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #641 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

Zimmerman and his wife should have thought about the repercussions of lying about the money that they had and they would not be in the mess they r in now, George back in jail, wife arrested and now in fear because her mug showed up in public . Who created the mess but George and his wife.
No one would be in the position that they are in now if George had stayed in his car that night and waited for the cops jmo.
What happened afterwards is anyone's guess but George's actions were what started all that transpired that night. If it turned into a stand your ground scenario, then it did, but it could have been a different outcome and George would be in jail and TM would not be dead.

Island Monkey...agree with your above post. Did not want to stack

Hi Cookie- ITA with yours too, but I am almost sure that SYG is no longer a factor and now it is self defense....who know though, I wonder when or I should say IF the race crap is going to go away....oh, WTH am I thinkng it is an election year-maybe that is what Rye meant about a NG verdict being probematic in 2012. Disgusting and more will be caught in the cross fire of this crap (race baiting) to incite, pressure and instill fear in whomever sits on that jury to vote Guilty no matter what the evidence shows. 

So far, you and I are totally on the same page with most of our views concerning this case

Cookie,

I remember you wrote that your would be too afraid to lie under oath, Me, too! (paraphasing)

SZ was fearless, not only fibbing, but shifting $ from different accounts.

I would be sweating and shaking in my shoes. How brazen, IMO.

I would say she was more fearless, than fearful, that is my opinion.

I agree Seahorse.  I also agree with you that GZ will get a fair trial.  He has a lot of the public's support because many people believe Trayvon was a criminal or somehow instigated the incident or deserved to be killed.

i think he was a thug but dont believe anyone deserves to be killed for that. I highly doubt there are many that just because they may support gz think that tm deserved to be killed.u might find some who are racist & think all blacks should be killed just like the nbp think all "crackers " should be "hung from the nearest tree". I think tm was a misguided kid most likely that had his parents put as much time & energy into steering him in a better direction as they have trying to profit off of his death & create race wars, he may still be here today. I support gz right to a fair trial but that in no way means i think he was right in his actions. I also think its sickening that he has been turned into a racist with zero proof of that.

Kcrn

Why do you think he was a "thug"?  He was no angel, that is for sure, but I would not call him a thug, either. Why is he a thug in your eyes?  TIA

I would like to know this also my Grandson wears a hoodie he's 12 and not a thug

thats not even remotely what i said. I dont think i said he was a thug because he wore a hoodie. I also rephrased & said thug would be the wrong word choice. I base my opinion of him on the info that has come out about him. To me, those things mean he may have been a troubled kid. Drugs, possession of burglary tools & fighting. do not make for an all american kid. I have a teenaged son who also wears hoodies & hes not a thug either. I couldnt care less what he was wearing. To gz though, his clothes may have been similar to previous suspects in that neighborhood. It would be like me saying that a girl who wears revealing clothing is a tramp or a kid that wears black & listens to marilyn manson is a devil worshiper. Im not that closed minded & thats not what i implied at all.
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #642 on: June 18, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/george-zimmermans-phone-calls-jail_n_1605592.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D170832

George Zimmerman's Jailhouse Calls To Wife Reveal Couple's Alleged Plan To Hide Funds (AUDIO)

Posted: 06/18/2012 1:17 pm Updated: 06/18/2012 3:57 pm

The special prosecutor in the case of George Zimmerman, the Florida man accused of murdering 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, released a half-dozen recorded jailhouse phone conversations between Zimmerman and his wife, Shellie, which prosecutors say reveal the couple's plans to conceal more than $130,000 of donated money via transfers between their personal bank accounts.

The release of the recordings comes just a week after Shellie Zimmerman was arrested and charged with perjury for lying under oath about the family's financial status during an April hearing in which her husband was granted bond.

Prosecutors say that while George and Shellie Zimmerman told the judge under oath that they were broke, and their lawyer requested a low bond because of the couple's dire financial situation, they were instead paying off credit card bills and transferring funds into his wife's personal bank account from a Paypal account linked to a website to raise defense funds.

In a call on April 12 Zimmerman tells his wife how happy he is about all of the money pouring in from website.

"Oh, man, that feels good… that there are people in America that care," George Zimmerman tells Shellie. "Yeah they do," she responds.

Shellie Zimmerman then tells George how so many people had gone to the website that it crashed several times.

“It makes me feel happy and to lay here and um be okay,” George Zimmerman tells his wife during that phone conversation.

“I’m so happy to know that you’re gonna be okay,” Shellie Zimmerman says. “After this… you’re gonna be able to just, have a great life,”

“We will,” Zimmerman said.

The call was made the day after Zimmerman was arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

IMO George Zimmerman is a liar, if he lied about the money, what else did he lie about. He is NOT credible

I don't think either side has much credibility. 

totally agree with u.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »

https://twitter.com/marknejame

24m Mark NeJame Mark NeJame ‏@MarkNeJame
I'll be live w/latest in ‪#GeorgeZimmerman‬ ‪#TrayvonMartin‬ case w/ @jvelezmitchell @HLNTV at 7:00 EST & @OutFrontCNN at 7:45
3:54 PM - 18 Jun 12 via web · Details

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #644 on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

I still say the same as I did in the beginning of this case, there are no clear bad or good guys.  The only clear loser is Trayvon.  I don't think Trayvon was as good and he was at first portrayed and I don't think Zimmerman is either. 

What I do know is that it wouldn't have happened if Zimmerman didn' t have a gun.  Zimmerman was neighborhood watch, not police.  Many security guards aren't even allowed weapons.  I just think it's a bad idea for a wanna-be cop to be carrying a weapon and playing watchdog.
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #645 on: June 18, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

I still say the same as I did in the beginning of this case, there are no clear bad or good guys.  The only clear loser is Trayvon.  I don't think Trayvon was as good and he was at first portrayed and I don't think Zimmerman is either. 

What I do know is that it wouldn't have happened if Zimmerman didn' t have a gun.  Zimmerman was neighborhood watch, not police.  Many security guards aren't even allowed weapons.  I just think it's a bad idea for a wanna-be cop to be carrying a weapon and playing watchdog.

yep exactly
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #646 on: June 18, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »

At the link -- Audio of Jail Calls #1 - #6 and Transcripts of Jail Calls #1 - #6

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/18/2855731/zimmerman-jail-calls-made-public.html

Posted on Monday, 06.18.12
Zimmerman jail calls made public

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/18/2855731/zimmerman-jail-calls-made-public.html#storylink=cpy
carpe noctem
Monkey All Star Jr.

History repeats itself. It's a cyclical beast.

« Reply #647 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

Trayvon physically attacked George. That is a big difference in my book --- and why I classify him as a thug.

A hoodie does not make one a thug... but the way you wear it and carry yourself does make a difference. imo
Example: Who the heck wears one UP while MAKING A PURCHASE in a store? In the north during winter, perhaps.
It's not bright.

The Twitter stuff showed me how his brain works. (does not work) Yes, what a person writes does matter.

All of the stuff, in its totality, combined with the physical assault... yes, he graduated and became a thug.

I try to never say he deserved it - because I am not mean spirited, but I don't see how the end result could change.
He attacked somebody he did not know and got shot - by a person who legally had a right to carry, almost anywhere, anytime.
That's the way  it works. I would have shot him myself, as I do not enjoy the taste of macadam.

He sized George up and decided I can take him - and he got taken himself. So, no sympathy from me for that. That's just Darwin hitting his mark again.

Unlike George, though... I would exercise my right to not flap my big lips. Who in the heck talks about having a great life
after shooting somebody? I swear, that dude, the more he talks the bigger the hole he digs for himself.

For Natalee and Stephany, whatever it takes.

-JUSTICE FOR NATALEE ANN - BOYCOTT ARUBA
------------------
"Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do." Thomas Jefferson
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."Thomas Jeff
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #648 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »

Trayvon physically attacked George. That is a big difference in my book --- and why I classify him as a thug.

A hoodie does not make one a thug... but the way you wear it and carry yourself does make a difference. imo
Example: Who the heck wears one UP while MAKING A PURCHASE in a store? In the north during winter, perhaps.
It's not bright.

The Twitter stuff showed me how his brain works. (does not work) Yes, what a person writes does matter.

All of the stuff, in its totality, combined with the physical assault... yes, he graduated and became a thug.

I try to never say he deserved it - because I am not mean spirited, but I don't see how the end result could change.
He attacked somebody he did not know and got shot - by a person who legally had a right to carry, almost anywhere, anytime.
That's the way  it works. I would have shot him myself, as I do not enjoy the taste of macadam.

He sized George up and decided I can take him - and he got taken himself. So, no sympathy from me for that. That's just Darwin hitting his mark again.

Unlike George, though... I would exercise my right to not flap my big lips. Who in the heck talks about having a great life
after shooting somebody? I swear, that dude, the more he talks the bigger the hole he digs for himself.

carpe i love the way u tell it like it is & dont care if people agree with u or not. I really think the scenario u laid out is most likely what happened. Your post sums it up.
theboyzmom
Monkey Junky

Brandi is making sure I get around!

« Reply #649 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »

It's not bright.

I agree 100% - if TM had not been where he was and had not made the choices he made, he would not be dead. the same could be said for GZ but he was a least trying to make it a better area - his way may have been misguided but he was trying.

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. - John Stuart Mill On Liberty, 1859
- George Bernard Shaw
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #650 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »

If......if......if.....

If GZ hadn't had the gun, would GZ be the one who is dead? 

GZ most likely would have still followed TM to see what he was up to.  GZ did not have his gun drawn when pursuing TM, or DeeDee would have heard TM say something about it.

Only after TM was thrashing GZ's head into the grass, and strangling him, did GZ pull his gun on TM.

If TM had gotten GZ's gun or GZ didn't have a gun, GZ might be the dead one.

Would TM be facing charges?  Would this case still be at the forefront of the news?

Challapalca him!
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #651 on: June 18, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »

It's not bright.

carpe i love the way u tell it like it is & dont care if people agree with u or not. I really think the scenario u laid out is most likely what happened. Your post sums it up.
ditto!!!!

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Nuna
Scared Monkey

« Reply #652 on: June 19, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »

I, personally, think they were both living the "thug life". One happened to be older, neither knew who may have a gun. Or not. I don't base that on race, apparel, or anything else but personal experience with unrelated persons. Of all ages.

I have worn a hoodie,(jeans and tennis shoes), into family court in Florida. They were both "thugged out", just on opposite ends of the spectrum. IMO.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #653 on: June 19, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »

http://www.flcourts18.org/presspublic.html

06-18-12     Amended Motion for Defendant's Motion for Reconsideration
http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/zimmerman%206-18%20amended.pdf

06-18-12     Order Setting Clarification Hearing
http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/order%20setting%20clarification%20hearing.pdf

06-18-12     Defendant's Motion for Reconsideration
http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/zimmerman%206-18.pdf

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #654 on: June 19, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »

I, personally, think they were both living the "thug life". One happened to be older, neither knew who may have a gun. Or not. I don't base that on race, apparel, or anything else but personal experience with unrelated persons. Of all ages.

I have worn a hoodie,(jeans and tennis shoes), into family court in Florida. They were both "thugged out", just on opposite ends of the spectrum. IMO.

I do not believe either of them were living "thug lives"!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thug

World English Dictionary

1.  a tough and violent man, esp a criminal 
2.  ( sometimes capital ) (formerly) a member of an organization of robbers and assassins in India who typically strangled their victims 

[C19: from Hindi thag  thief, from Sanskrit sthaga  scoundrel, from sthagati  to conceal] 

'thuggery 

— n   

'thuggish 

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #655 on: June 19, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »

It's not bright.

I agree 100% - if TM had not been where he was and had not made the choices he made, he would not be dead. the same could be said for GZ but he was a least trying to make it a better area - his way may have been misguided but he was trying.

and...if GZ kept his Duff in his vehicle, TM would be living.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #656 on: June 19, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »

Zimmerman and his wife should have thought about the repercussions of lying about the money that they had and they would not be in the mess they r in now, George back in jail, wife arrested and now in fear because her mug showed up in public . Who created the mess but George and his wife.
No one would be in the position that they are in now if George had stayed in his car that night and waited for the cops jmo.
What happened afterwards is anyone's guess but George's actions were what started all that transpired that night. If it turned into a stand your ground scenario, then it did, but it could have been a different outcome and George would be in jail and TM would not be dead.

Island Monkey...agree with your above post. Did not want to stack

Hi Cookie- ITA with yours too, but I am almost sure that SYG is no longer a factor and now it is self defense....who know though, I wonder when or I should say IF the race crap is going to go away....oh, WTH am I thinkng it is an election year-maybe that is what Rye meant about a NG verdict being probematic in 2012. Disgusting and more will be caught in the cross fire of this crap (race baiting) to incite, pressure and instill fear in whomever sits on that jury to vote Guilty no matter what the evidence shows. 

So far, you and I are totally on the same page with most of our views concerning this case

Cookie,

I remember you wrote that your would be too afraid to lie under oath, Me, too! (paraphasing)

SZ was fearless, not only fibbing, but shifting $ from different accounts.

I would be sweating and shaking in my shoes. How brazen, IMO.

I would say she was more fearless, than fearful, that is my opinion.

I agree Seahorse.  I also agree with you that GZ will get a fair trial.  He has a lot of the public's support because many people believe Trayvon was a criminal or somehow instigated the incident or deserved to be killed.

i think he was a thug but dont believe anyone deserves to be killed for that. I highly doubt there are many that just because they may support gz think that tm deserved to be killed.u might find some who are racist & think all blacks should be killed just like the nbp think all "crackers " should be "hung from the nearest tree". I think tm was a misguided kid most likely that had his parents put as much time & energy into steering him in a better direction as they have trying to profit off of his death & create race wars, he may still be here today. I support gz right to a fair trial but that in no way means i think he was right in his actions. I also think its sickening that he has been turned into a racist with zero proof of that.

Kcrn

Why do you think he was a "thug"?  He was no angel, that is for sure, but I would not call him a thug, either. Why is he a thug in your eyes?  TIA

I would like to know this also my Grandson wears a hoodie he's 12 and not a thug

thats not even remotely what i said. I dont think i said he was a thug because he wore a hoodie. I also rephrased & said thug would be the wrong word choice. I base my opinion of him on the info that has come out about him. To me, those things mean he may have been a troubled kid. Drugs, possession of burglary tools & fighting. do not make for an all american kid. I have a teenaged son who also wears hoodies & hes not a thug either. I couldnt care less what he was wearing. To gz though, his clothes may have been similar to previous suspects in that neighborhood. It would be like me saying that a girl who wears revealing clothing is a tramp or a kid that wears black & listens to marilyn manson is a devil worshiper. Im not that closed minded & thats not what i implied at all.

Based on what we know, Trayvon had an empty baggie and a screwdriver (plus some jewelry which Miami police stated were not part of any burglary case they knew of).  I've only heard rumors that video of him fighting exist but even those would be suspect unless we could see who actually started the fight and was it one fight or multiple.

GZ... now here we have actual evidence of a thug.  He goes after some kid while armed (which goes completely against the Neighborhood Watch rules in every way imaginable), is super stoked about having a good life because he's been given a couple hundred thousand dollars (of which he spends $80,000 before it goes into the trust), and he instructs his wife to move it around in batches of less than $10,000 each so as not to get caught with it.  Not to mention their history of not paying their debts and forcing debtors to take them to court to get paid, restraining order against him, fired from a job for being aggressive, and attacking a police office (a charge that was later dropped).

I would NOT want an armed and frustrated and dishonest Neighborhood Watch person in my neighborhood.

I understand the angst against reverse racism but it has nothing to do with Trayvon Martin.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #657 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »

Klaasend, you are a voice of reason.  This is really what it boils down to. 
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #658 on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »

Did politics drive prosecution in Trayvon Martin case?
June 19 '12
Mark NeJame

(CNN) -- Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz recently claimed that Special Prosecutor Angela Corey, who charged George Zimmerman in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, threatened to sue Dershowitz for libel and slander and to have him disbarred.

According to Dershowitz, Corey went into a tirade against him after he strongly criticized her. He said Corey was being unethical for not disclosing material facts to the court in the probable cause affidavit she had filed against Zimmerman and had erred by bringing a second-degree murder charge against him, when the evidence didn't support such a charge.

In an article, Dershowitz maintained that Corey called Harvard's law school dean and was transferred to a communications office staff member.

According to this account, she went into a "40-minute rant" about how she could sue Harvard for his comments. She apparently was reminded that Dershowitz had a right to his opinion and that his comments were a matter of academic freedom. I hope that she was also sent a copy of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Dershowitz claims that Corey was required to include in her probable cause affidavit any information that would tend to exculpate Zimmerman of the charges against him. He's incorrect, unfortunately.

Florida law doesn't require a prosecutor to go as far as Dershowitz argues, although I believe such information should be included so that a judge can make a fully informed decision.

If the facts disclose that the court was intentionally misled by the way information was presented to it, that is a cause for grave concern and reconsideration. However, offering a bare-bones affidavit is relatively common and so long as the language is truthful, done in good faith and doesn't intentionally mislead the court, then the prosecutor is not obligated to provide evidence that might be exculpatory to a defendant in an affidavit.

That said, the affidavit Corey filed in the Zimmerman case is about as minimal as I've seen in more than 30 years of practice as a criminal defense attorney.

Corey, Dershowitz and I all might have varying interpretations of the law, but because Corey disagrees with Dershowitz, it surely doesn't subject him to being sued by her. If Corey made that threat, it's frightening for a prosecutor in power to act that way and smacks of prosecutorial overreaching in an effort to chill any critics. Corey has not publicly responded to Dershowitz's claim.

Corey has made the most serious of claims against Zimmerman, charging that he committed a homicide by the intentional killing of a unarmed teenager. Zimmerman may have done exactly that. Conversely, he may not have. The facts will continue to unfold, and more clarity will emerge.

Regardless of the outcome, Corey is protected by prosecutorial immunity for her actions, right or wrong. I'm suspicious when those in power can seemingly act without personal consequence for their actions but behave as if they are also immune from public criticism when they are challenged. They are not.

Corey is a public official and public person. When she introduced herself to the American public on the Zimmerman case, she glided on stage, smiled for the cameras, flashed a V for "victims," told the country how she prayed with Travyon's family before she commenced her "impartial" investigation and made it clear that she would circumvent the grand jury, which was already scheduled, and make the charging decision herself.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/19/opinion/nejame-angela-corey/index.html
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #659 on: June 19, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/18/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Zimmerman`s Jailhouse Phone Calls Released
Aired June 18, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I want to bring in Jane Velez-Mitchell. And Jane, the advances in modern science are just incredible, aren`t they?

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL, HOST: Oh, absolutely. And these kinds of horrific, freak accidents happen all the time. And they are an absolute disaster nightmare for families.

So it`s wonderful that she is getting all the help she possibly can. Our thoughts and prayers do go out to her and her family. It`s a heart- wrenching experience. And we only hope, really hope that she comes through and comes through ultimately healthy.

Tonight I`m going to play for you George Zimmerman`s secret jailhouse conversations with his wife tonight. You`ll hear for the first time Trayvon Martin`s shooter allegedly talking in code to his wife Shellie. The jailhouse tapes give us a revealing look at who George Zimmerman is. His values, his fears, his relationships with his loved ones. We`re playing the recorded conversations, and we`re analyzing them tonight live with a panel of experts.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL (voice-over): Tonight, just released. The secret jailhouse tapes of George Zimmerman and his wife. The Trayvon Martin shooter caught exchanging expressions of love while allegedly talking in code, instructing his wife on how to transfer thousands of dollars when he claimed he was broke.

Does his reference to Peter Pan really mean PayPal? We`ll analyze the tapes, and we`re taking your calls.

Plus the first defense witnesses takes the stand in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse trial. The former football coach`s Penn State co-worker says he also showered frequently with boys in locker rooms, claiming it`s normal and part of sports. You won`t believe Sandusky`s latest defense tactic.

Plus, the big Kardashian clan interview with talk-show queen Oprah Winfrey. She`s asking the tough questions about Kim`s infamous sex tapes and her 72-day marriage. And did Kim`s mom put her on birth control when Kim was just 14?

SHELLI ZIMMERMAN, WIFE: I need to figure out how to reset his password so that I can log into the account for him.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, SHOOTING SUSPECT: Remember, no personal information.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He is in custody now. He`s going to remain there.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A judge revoked his bond on Friday, saying he misled the court about his finances and an unsurrendered passport.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: They also accuse the couple of speaking in code somehow about donations from a Web site he`d set up.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We have the jail calls the defendant made to his wife.

G. ZIMMERMAN: Total everything, how much are we looking at?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Like $155.

Does it give you any solace knowing that this is taken care of now?

G. ZIMMERMAN: Huge, huge.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Good, good.

BENJAMIN CRUMP, ATTORNEY FOR TRAYVON MARTIN`S FAMILY: His credibility is the most important thing in this entire case.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Zimmerman, who had been living in an undisclosed location due to threats on his life, is charged with second-degree murder.

MARK O`MARA, ATTORNEY FOR GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: He`s worried about himself. He`s worried about his wife. He`s worried about his family.

CRUMP: They`ve always believed if the shoe was on the other foot, that Trayvon Martin would have been put in jail on day one, and he would not have been given bail.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If this was irrelevant to bond, then why did they lie about it?

S. ZIMMERMAN: You`re special (UNINTELLIGIBLE) to people at home.

ROBOTIC VOICE: This call will be recorded and subject to monitoring at any time.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, a revealing look at the man who shot Trayvon Martin dead, as his jailhouse conversations are released.

Good evening. I`m Jane Velez-Mitchell.

Question for you tonight: did George Zimmerman and his wife Shellie have an elaborate plot to hide money just before his April bond hearing so they could pretend to be broke and get a reduced bail?

Listen for yourself.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

G. ZIMMERMAN: In my account, do I have at least $100?

S. ZIMMERMAN: In his account, does he have at least $100. No.

G. ZIMMERMAN: How close am I?

S. ZIMMERMAN: There`s like $8.

G. ZIMMERMAN: Really?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Like $8 and like 60 cents or something.

G. ZIMMERMAN: I thought you said it was like 300 total.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Nope, Ken inflated it.

G. ZIMMERMAN: Oh, OK. So total everything how much are we looking at?

S. ZIMMERMAN: Like $155.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Prosecutors say $155 actually refers to $155,000. These tapes led to George`s wife`s arrest on perjury charges just last week. She`s accused of speaking to her husband in code, hiding his money, while he was behind bars, and lying to a judge when she said they were broke at his bond hearing.

The conversations give us an inside look at their very close relationship. We`re going to play them for you tonight. A lot of them. What do you think of these secret conversations? Give me a holler: 1-877- JVM-SAYS. That`s 1-877-586-7297.

Straight out to Mark Nejame, criminal defense attorney and HLN legal analyst.

I got to ask you. There`s a hearing in two weeks, June 29. That`s the next bond hearing. George Zimmerman`s attorney, Mark O`Mara, is expected to ask for him to get out on bail again, on bond. Are they going to play these tapes? Can that possibly happen, given these tapes?

MARK NEJAME, HLN LEGAL ANALYST: Oh, sure. These tapes are critical to that. Basically, the state is alleging that he did not come forward when his wife was lying on stand. And in fact, he had a substantial amount of money. And if, in fact, that had come out, the judge very well may have made a different ruling.

So yes, these tapes are extremely relevant. One, it deals with credibility for anything he might say. And two, it deals with the issue of money, which is a major consideration for the bond issue.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, we`ve got to play more of these, because they`re absolutely fascinating. On the jailhouse phone call, George and Shellie talk about moving money, and they revel in the support coming into their Web site.

But they also give us insight into their relationship as a pair of married people. Listen to this exchange between husband and wife.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

G. ZIMMERMAN: Man, I can`t remember what the dream was, but it was really nice. It was like, I bought you something that you always wanted. I don`t remember what it was.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Oh, honey. You don`t need to worry about that, cutie.

G. ZIMMERMAN: I wish I could remember. It was like a nice scarf or something.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Oh, you`re so cute. I love you so much.

G. ZIMMERMAN: I love you so much.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Is this romantic banter appropriate, Robi Ludwig, psychotherapist, given the fact that he`s behind bars because he shot someone dead? Or does this reveal that somehow George Zimmerman and perhaps his wife, as well, are just not in touch with the severity of the situation they`re in? He is about to be put on trial for murder.

ROBI LUDWIG, PSYCHOTHERAPIST: Well, I think it indicates that they kind of live in their own private world that makes sense to them only.

And perhaps -- I almost wonder if they`re both paranoid in a similar kind of way. And sometimes when you have two people who are married to each other, who are paranoid about the outside world, they cling to each other in a very loving way. And when they`re with each other, they don`t necessarily address the realities of the outside world.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, I think it could also be that they`re sort of hooked on the negative excitement. Hooked on the drama. Seeing themselves as sort of characters in a movie. Because it seems that they`re romanticizing, to a certain degree, this entire ordeal, which again, is a tragedy involving somebody who died.

Shellie and George were taped talking about what they called overwhelming public support, especially through a Web site set up to accept donations for George Zimmerman. Listen to this portion of the secret tapes.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

S. ZIMMERMAN: Don`t worry, cutie. Don`t even worry.

G. ZIMMERMAN: Ah, man, that feels good. That`s a good...

S. ZIMMERMAN: What?

G. ZIMMERMAN: That there are people in America that care.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Yes, they do. Trust me. And boy, after that happened yesterday, he said like, so many people, your site kept crashing.

G. ZIMMERMAN: Wow.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Because people were just trying to give you, you know, words of support and kindness.

G. ZIMMERMAN: Good. Wow, that is awesome.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Jon Lieberman, investigative reporter, prosecutors alleged George Zimmerman had access, at the time, to at least $135,000. Much of it raised through donations to Web sites.

But it seems to me that he is approaching this as some sort of campaign or contest. You know, he`s not running for anything. As I mentioned before, he`s about to be put on trial for murder in the second degree. And yet, it seems to sound almost like a campaign of sorts.

JON LIEBERMAN, INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER: Well, it was. It was interesting to me that these two know that they`re being recorded. That`s why they`re allegedly speaking in code, and yet they gave out so much information, Jane.

And I want to point out this. This isn`t being talked about. Prosecutors also released the bank statements of these two. And if you look at the bank statements, I reviewed them. If you look at them, there is a pattern.

The same day that these two talk in depth about transferring money and Peter Pan and using this code, you can see in the bank statements there are large amounts of transfers made between PayPal and each of their personal accounts. And that will definitely come out in this next bond hearing, and it`s very important.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, it`s fascinating to me that they, if, in fact, they were speaking in code, as prosecutors alleged, were naive enough to think that somehow, first of all, that people would accept the fact that they were talking about chump change, and that the prosecutors wouldn`t check the bank records. I mean, all you have to do is check their bank records and you can see these transfers occurring.

Let`s go out to the phone lines. Betty, Virginia. Your question, Betty.

CALLER: Jane, I want to first say I love you, love you, love you.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you.

CALLER: Second of all, I watched the bond hearing where his family testified over the phone. I never believed for one second that they had no money. It just -- the look on his face, the voices. It just did not sound feasible.

And it`s about time that somebody is finally being charged with perjury. Because this doesn`t make any sense.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

G. ZIMMERMAN: Call him and make sure that he does it every day, and that you transfer from mine to yours every day.

S. ZIMMERMAN: Transfer from mine to yours every day and set an alarm in my phone to remind me, within 24 hours. OK.

G. ZIMMERMAN: And to remind Ken, too. You have might have to call him and remind him.

S. ZIMMERMAN: And to remind Ken, too. We both can do it?

G. ZIMMERMAN: No, Ken is going to go from Peter Pan to me.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now some have suggested when he says "Peter Pan" he is actually referring to PayPal. Peter Pan, PayPal. PayPal was how donors could give money to the online account that Zimmerman set up in his own defense. That account was taken down, but another one has been put up.

Pilar Prince (ph), criminal defense attorney, the big question here is how is all of this not just going to affect his bond hearing, but how is it going to affect his trial? Are these tapes damning in terms of his credibility? Do they paint George Zimmerman to be a liar, and will they be played during his trial?

PILAR PRINCE (ph), CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Absolutely, Jane. You know, I always tell clients this. If you lie, you will get caught. It always happens even though people think that they won`t. And that you lie is so much more important -- I`m sorry. That you lied is so much more important than what you lied about.

Here`s a perfect example. Does this make George Zimmerman a murderer? Not necessarily. But when you look at his defense under Florida law, and remember, stand your ground, if he argues it and he`s successful, is an absolute immunity to his claim of -- to the murder in this case. His credibility is everything. Why would he risk it on something as trivial as this?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, that`s a good question. Why would he behave this way?

PRINCE (ph): Because he wanted to get out of jail. Simple.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, but he could have used the money that he had. He just didn`t want to use the money that he had. He had at least $135,000. But he didn`t want to pay retail, as it were, for bail. He would rather -- and he did -- plead that he was broke. And he got out on 150 grand, 10 percent of which is 15 grand. So he only had to put 15,000 down.

Michelle Suskauer, all of this so he could get a cheap bail? Is that really the most self-destructive thing you`ve ever heard?

MICHELLE SUSKAUER, ATTORNEY (via phone): You know, I think certainly these are not the brightest bulbs in the pack. There`s no question. These are unsophisticated people under an enormous amount of stress.

And so we`re looking at them under a microscope, but I think it`s a little unfair. Because the -- I mean, no one should be under this type of microscope the way that they have been, with national and international pressure.

So I think that they do not have an opportunity to speak privately. They`re trying to -- I`m not going to make excuses for perjury, and that`s wrong. But the fact is, is that they don`t have an opportunity so to speak. This is their only opportunity to speak privately. Everything they...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, but what does it say about their mentality? That obviously in the time that he was free, before he was taken into custody and finally arrested, they made a plan, and they said to each other, it would appear, anyway -- and Mark O`Mara, the attorney for George Zimmerman, is invited on our show any time. He has a standing invitation. We`d love to hear the other side of this.

But it would appear that they made a plan and said, "Hey, when I talk about Peter Pan, that stands for PayPal," or whatever the plan was. And that to me is a bad idea. The best thing is just to be straight forward.

But it also reveals how he kind of plays spy. Remember, he was a cop wannabe. He`s a guy who wanted to be a cop. He was, according to his critics, he was playing vigilante the night he play shot Trayvon Martin. Because he said the guy looks suspicious when the 17-year-old was coming back with a can of iced tea and a pack of Skittles back to his dad`s house.

So this ducktails, Robi Ludwig, psychotherapist, with the portrait we`ve seen of George Zimmerman up to this this point. Somebody who is sort of living this self-made drama, self-manufactured drama. First, he was a cop wannabe. Now, he`s tinker, tailor, soldier, spy.

LUDWIG: Well, I think also, too, if we remember, when he made that 911 call, Zimmerman was not advised to be a vigilante. In fact, he was advised to not do anything.

So here`s a man who operates based on his own ideas, his own instincts, which clearly lead him astray.

And I`m going to say again, I think we`re seeing a paranoid being here, where he doesn`t trust other people. Maybe the only other person he trusts is his wife, who for whatever reason was able to break through his paranoid feelings about people in general.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

G. ZIMMERMAN: Transfer -- for her to transfer less than $10 into her account from mine.

S. ZIMMERMAN: OK.

G. ZIMMERMAN: And then, two, is for her to log off and try to log back in using her credentials before you leave there. And then, three, is to see if she can take $10 out today, another $10, less than $10 and put it...

S. ZIMMERMAN: Uh-huh...

G. ZIMMERMAN: In her um, in her box there.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So clever. So spy like. Not. It`s pretty transparent what they`re doing, at least according to prosecutors. It appears a locked-up George Zimmerman was walking his wife and his sister through the process of transferring money.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

G. ZIMMERMAN: She just has to put in her information. It says "to another" on the top.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, OK. It says "to another", click on right there. OK, go ahead and do it.

S. ZIMMERMAN: How much?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, three more zeros. OK.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Oh, it`s so dramatic. Again, you`ve got to wonder if he`s in a movie in his mind. And does this ducktail with his behavior on the night that Trayvon Martin was shot dead by him. There`s no disputing that. The question was, is it self-defense or was it murder, second-degree murder?

Let`s go out to the phone lines. Patty in North Carolina. Your question or thought, Patty.

CALLER: Well, I actually have a comment.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Sure.

CALLER: And I just feel like George Zimmerman is not really worried about anything, because he never had to. His father and mother, just giving him one thing after the other.

And also that, you know, him being in jail, you know, he`s not really worried about that either, because he`s just thinking, well, you know, "All these people support me. They`ve been sending me money, so, you know, the jury is, you know, going to be for me also."

And one more thing. I feel like he and his wife had planned to move that money, and that`s why he gave the judge a fake -- you know, he gave the judge the passport that had been revoked before. And he was going to use, actually use the passport that -- that, you know, the one that was good.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, and there`s a whole passport issue, as well, which our caller referred to, that he had two passports. Of course, his attorney, Mark O`Mara, said it was totally this innocent misunderstanding. But others see it more skeptically.

Now, let`s listen to more of George and his wife, Shellie`s, intimate conversation. He`s in jail. She`s talking to him on the phone.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

S. ZIMMERMAN: I visualize you walking through that door.

G. ZIMMERMAN: I will be.

S. ZIMMERMAN: I know you will be. This -- isn`t that crazy how something like this just makes you, like put everything in perspective in life?

G. ZIMMERMAN: Yes.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Mark Nejame, criminal defense attorney, you`re down there in Orlando. How is this playing in Orlando? The very area where all of this went down, and where he`s going to face justice?

NEJAME: I think much like -- I think Orlando, central Florida is the microcosm of much of what`s going on around the country, and actually beyond the borders of the United States. There`s a split. Some people are very strongly in the Trayvon Martin camp, and a lot of people are very strongly in the Zimmerman camp. You know, it depends upon how you interpret this.

It`s interesting. I think very few people really change their mind about these types of things. I think they have an opinion, and then they form the facts to fit into their opinion.

But there`s a lot of hot controversy. And there`s a lot of discussion and debate that goes on about it.

I will say, though, as new facts emerge as to both sides, some people are, in fact, sitting back and saying, "Whoa, this might not be initially the way we initially thought it to be," whatever side they were on. So there is a lot of water cooler talk, a lot of heated discussions about this.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: This guy is an enigma. And he`s what, in the movie business, they call a shape shifter. He appears as one thing and then he morphs into something else. And he continues to morph. The more we hear about him, the more complicated and almost puzzling, I think, his behavior becomes.

Britney, Georgia, your questions or thoughts, Britney? Hey, Britney, can you hear?

Hey there. All right.

Listen. What I`m going to do is go to Pilar Prince (ph), criminal defense attorney. Again, as we approach trial, how is this going to play out? Do we expect the jurors hearing his second-degree murder trial to hear his tapes? Or will it not go that far?

PRINCE (ph): Well, they`re trying to keep a lot of them out right now, Jane. But what they`re not keeping out -- and I think that Mark O`Mara is right to not try to keep it out -- is the tapes that deal directly with these bank charges.

I mean, it seems like the Zimmermans figured out from the Casey Anthony trial that they`re being taped when they`re talking in the jailhouse. But what they didn`t realize is that everybody`s paying attention to what they`re saying.

So I think that the jury can hear it. It goes to credibility, which is exactly his defense. It`s his state of mind. Did he reasonably believe that his life was in danger, and if so, does he get "stand your ground" immunity? So what he thinks and his credibility is everything.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:54:27 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.