March 19, 2024, 03:22:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 362712 times)
carpe noctem
Monkey All Star Jr.

History repeats itself. It's a cyclical beast.

« Reply #700 on: June 22, 2012, 01:12:43 AM »

I don't get why they would "fire" the Chief when he had already submitted his resignation.

This just doesn't seem like the right thing to do IMO.

I don't think so either. He offered his resignation, they voted to keep him. So they could later fire him.

Apparently, he was standing in the way of Saint Tray of the Skittles from achieving his "legacy"?

In my view, he was following the law. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken stuffing.

Not even Al shouting over a bullhorn can do that.
I'm confused as well.  The guy offered to resign.  What has changed that makes them feel it necessary to fire him?  Could he get an atty and protest this?

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/6/20/sanford_police_chief.html
 ::snipping2::
After Lee stepped down, he offered to resign, a move the City Commission initially rejected. But he was finally cut loose Wednesday.

Lee has been accused of overruling one of his detective's recommendations to arrest Zimmerman the night of the deadly shooting.

Instead, Zimmerman was allowed to walk out of police headquarters that same night, prompting weeks of protests in Sanford.

Lee's continued employment with the department had angered some Sanford residents. The president of the city's NAACP chapter has said that there can be no healing until Lee was fired.

I guess they aren't happy unless his career is ruined. His big boo boo was overruling someone who works for him. Which is his most likely part of his job as Chief. In Sanford, detectives call the shots, the Chief is for making coffee.

For Natalee and Stephany, whatever it takes.

-JUSTICE FOR NATALEE ANN - BOYCOTT ARUBA
------------------
"Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do." Thomas Jefferson
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."Thomas Jeff
Bongosmom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #701 on: June 22, 2012, 01:49:21 AM »

I don't get why they would "fire" the Chief when he had already submitted his resignation.

I don't think so either. He offered his resignation, they voted to keep him. So they could later fire him.

Apparently, he was standing in the way of Saint Tray of the Skittles from achieving his "legacy"?

In my view, he was following the law. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken stuffing.

I'm confused as well.  The guy offered to resign.  What has changed that makes them feel it necessary to fire him?  Could he get an atty and protest this?

Nothing has changed, and it has nothing to do with anybody thinking of TM. The man has been problematic for some time, and I - who pay his salary - and many other of us local taxpayers did not want to afford him the dignity of resigning. We wanted him fired. The city did not accept his resignation because they wanted to be fair - if they found no wrongdoing during the investigation of him and his department, they would have asked him to stay. I know many of you here will not believe that, because you are bound and determined to think whatever fits your agenda. But its true - all we of Sanford have wanted from the beginning of all this is for the shooting to be investigated. We are not vilifying GZ for shooting a black teen. What we have been mad about was the police department's handling of it, as well as the passage of the dangerous SYG law - that almost every police chief in the state of Florida was against. Anyway, by not accepting his resignation, that gave the city the opportunity to investigate further. He has a history of treating black crime victims differently than white crime victims. I myself have had to make complaints of his department. And that is what the race issue is with this case: not that a black was killed by a non-black - that happens all the time here in Sanford. The race issue is that a case with a black victim was treated totally different than it would have been had the victim been white. And if you don't believe that, then you don't know the Sanford police department. I've seen it firsthand many times. He wasn't fired as a sacrificial lamb; he had it coming. You won't see too many people in Sanford - white or black - upset with his firing. And by the way, despite how the media is trying to portray Sanford as being full of all this dangerous racial strife, I'm a middle-aged white woman and I have no fear when I'm walking in Sanford - even at night.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #702 on: June 22, 2012, 02:37:11 AM »

After listening to all the audio - interviews with George - and watching the reenactment....IMO, all of that and the 911 call that previously came out, it pretty much falls in line with each other.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #703 on: June 22, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »

Nothing has changed, and it has nothing to do with anybody thinking of TM. The man has been problematic for some time, and I - who pay his salary - and many other of us local taxpayers did not want to afford him the dignity of resigning. We wanted him fired. The city did not accept his resignation because they wanted to be fair - if they found no wrongdoing during the investigation of him and his department, they would have asked him to stay. I know many of you here will not believe that, because you are bound and determined to think whatever fits your agenda. But its true - all we of Sanford have wanted from the beginning of all this is for the shooting to be investigated. We are not vilifying GZ for shooting a black teen. What we have been mad about was the police department's handling of it, as well as the passage of the dangerous SYG law - that almost every police chief in the state of Florida was against. Anyway, by not accepting his resignation, that gave the city the opportunity to investigate further. He has a history of treating black crime victims differently than white crime victims. I myself have had to make complaints of his department. And that is what the race issue is with this case: not that a black was killed by a non-black - that happens all the time here in Sanford. The race issue is that a case with a black victim was treated totally different than it would have been had the victim been white. And if you don't believe that, then you don't know the Sanford police department. I've seen it firsthand many times. He wasn't fired as a sacrificial lamb; he had it coming. You won't see too many people in Sanford - white or black - upset with his firing. And by the way, despite how the media is trying to portray Sanford as being full of all this dangerous racial strife, I'm a middle-aged white woman and I have no fear when I'm walking in Sanford - even at night.

Thanks for your insight.  Although, I am leaning in one particular direction...I definitely believe what you are saying in regards to the police chief...if there wasn't an issue with the chief then you would not have brought it up.  So, even though I lean to one side...I have no reason to not believe what you are saying...I have no agenda.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #704 on: June 22, 2012, 09:49:35 AM »

Makes sense.  I'm not sure why the facts have been so misconstrued... GZ was never called a racist by Trayvon's family, only that he profiled Trayvon.  It was the investigation, or lack thereof, that they took issue with.  I've asked myself had the boy been white and the shooter black would LE have handled it differently? 

If it was a black man who followed a white boy in a truck and then on foot I bet alot more people would believe that the black man probably in some way caused the boy to feel he needed to protect himself and subsequently consider the incident a murder.
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #705 on: June 22, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »

::MonkeyMad::h

Makes sense.  I'm not sure why the facts have been so misconstrued... GZ was never called a racist by Trayvon's family, only that he profiled Trayvon.  It was the investigation, or lack thereof, that they took issue with.  I've asked myself had the boy been white and the shooter black would LE have handled it differently? 

If it was a black man who followed a white boy in a truck and then on foot I bet alot more people would believe that the black man probably in some way caused the boy to feel he needed to protect himself and subsequently consider the incident a murder.

i know nothing of this police chief or this town but i do know that the racial tension that has been created by this case has been directed at gz & not the chief of police in that town. To say that these parents were only upset about the way the police dept has handled this is ridiculous.syg laws exist in many states & i dont think the police chief in any city is responsible for it. I dont have an agenda. Im angry about the the fact that this has been turned into soley a racial issue as i dont see that one exists here. I absolutely believe that these parents have played the race card unfairly to further their own agenda. The man will have his day in court as unfair as it will probably turn out. Go back to work, grieve the loss of your child & stop trying to profit off of his death. Stop traveling the world trying to create racial strife amongst people who have NOTHING to do with the death of this poor boy. Rosa parks, really? Thats disgusting to me. They didnt even bother to wonder where their son was until the next morning in a town where he knew nobody.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #706 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »

Edit to add link per Amys Sister.  MB
http://www.examiner.com/article/trayvon-martin-morgue-3-days-as-john-doe-after-mom-reported-him-missing

::snipping2::According to the interview PEOPLE had with Trayvon's father, Tracy Martin, he was not concerned when his son didn't return home the evening he was shot because he thought he might have gone to the movies with his responsible older cousin. He went to sleep, and when he awoke to find his son gone he grew concerned. He made several phone calls, no one knew where Trayvon was.

Tracy Martin called the Sanford Police who came to his home the morning after the shooting. When he told police about his son's disapperance, police asked him for a photo of his son. Tracy showed the police officer a photo of Trayvon he had saved on his cellphone. The officer said he was going to show Martin a photo to see if it was his son. It was a photo of Trayvon's dead body.   ::snipping2::

These were not uncaring parents who had no regard for their child as has been reported over and over.  The early reports that Trayvon lay dead in the morgue for three days before his parents claimed him were especially disgusting.  The fact is LE made no attempt to locate the family of the deceased after the incident.

::snipping2::According to the ABC News article, the family said officers didn’t bother to ask neighbors if they recognized Trayvon, who had been staying with his father who lives in the neighborhood where he was shot.

Police reportedly had Trayvon’s cellphone in their possession yet they alledgedly made no attempts to call his friends or family whose numbers could have been retrieved from his phone. According to his girlfriend, she and Trayvon were talking on the phone moments before he was shot and killed by 28-year-old neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman. ::snipping2::

The very next morning after waking and seeing that his son was not home Tracy, Trayvon's father, called dispatch to report him missing.  He even states to dispatch that it hasn't been 24 hours yet but his son is missing, so he knows that 24 hour rule but he's clearly concerned.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:51:42 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #707 on: June 22, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

My snips are all over the place and my link is missing.  Muffy, will you please add the link and fix the scissor snips if you're able?
I've added the link to your original post, but editing for snips takes too much time.  MB

http://www.examiner.com/article/trayvon-martin-morgue-3-days-as-john-doe-after-mom-reported-him-missing

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:52:33 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #708 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »

It's not like Trayvon's mother called herself Rosa Parks, the reverend of a church made that statement.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #709 on: June 22, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »

i know nothing of this police chief or this town but i do know that the racial tension that has been created by this case has been directed at gz & not the chief of police in that town. To say that these parents were only upset about the way the police dept has handled this is ridiculous.syg laws exist in many states & i dont think the police chief in any city is responsible for it. I dont have an agenda. Im angry about the the fact that this has been turned into soley a racial issue as i dont see that one exists here. I absolutely believe that these parents have played the race card unfairly to further their own agenda. The man will have his day in court as unfair as it will probably turn out. Go back to work, grieve the loss of your child & stop trying to profit off of his death. Stop traveling the world trying to create racial strife amongst people who have NOTHING to do with the death of this poor boy. Rosa parks, really? Thats disgusting to me. They didnt even bother to wonder where their son was until the next morning in a town where he knew nobody.

Here are some direct quotes from the parents, none of which call GZ a racist.  They are only seeking justice for their child.  'Race card' is such a cliche.  This murder was treated very poorly by LE and it was most likely handled that way because it was a white shooter and a black teen, as has been the case in Sanford on numerous occasions.

http://thegrio.com/2012/03/26/trayvon-martins-parents-to-thousands-at-rally-this-family-is-hurt/

::snipping2::“My heart is broken,” Fulton said, “That’s the first and foremost — that was my baby.”

“And I just want to appeal to you all…if you have children, and if something happens to your children, as a parent you want answers to your questions.” ::snipping2::

::snipping2:: “I know I cannot bring my baby back,” she said, “but I’m sure going to make changes so that does not happen to another family.”  ::snipping2::

::snipping2:: Tracy Martin called his son his “best friend,” and also spoke about Trayvon in deeply emotional terms.

“The greatest gift God can give to a man is a son,” Martin said.

“There’s no monetary gift you can give a woman for giving you a son. George Michael Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Benjamin Martin in cold blood. He took my son away from me.”

Martin said he and Trayvon’s supporters were there to deliver more than 2 million signatures on an online petition, created by the family, calling for Zimmerman’s arrest.

“For Sanford police to feel they were going to sweep another black minority death under the rug is an atrocity.”

“This family is hurt,” Martin said, “This family is torn. and the Sanford Police Department needs to be held accountable. George Michael Zimmerman needs to be arrested. He needs to be put on trial. He needs to be given a sentence by a jury of his peers. We’re not asking for an eye for an eye, we’re asking for justice.” ::snipping2::

::snipping2::“Who was the officer who made the determination not to do a background check on the person who had just shot dead Trayvon Benjamin Martin, but determined to do a background check on a dead child?” Crump asked, directing his comments at the city manager.

“Who was the officer who made the determination to drug test Tracy and Sybrina’s baby but not Zimmerman? Who was the officer who let Zimmerman go home in the clothes he was wearing” when he shot Trayvon?

“Can you understand,” Crump asked rhetorically, “that none of this would have happened if (police) had treated George Zimmerman the way they would have treated Trayvon Martin?”  ::snipping2::

They want justice and they want people to see that sometimes people are treated differently because they are black.  Denial doesn't change the truth of it.

Bongosmom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #710 on: June 22, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »

[/quote]

Well, I do know of this police chief and this town - I live and own property there. There is no racial tension in Sanford; at least, not more than there ever was. Any racial tension that exists has been fabricated by the media. I didn't say that police chiefs are responsible for the SYG laws - I said they were against them. How do you feel the parents have played the race card unfairly? I have not seen it, and I was at the Sanford rallies. Could you provide some links, or quotes, of the parents playing the race card? His mother is rallying against racial profiling - which occurs all the time in Sanford - and against SYG laws. How is that "playing" the race card? In this interview http://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151377059/sybrina-fulton-i-can-wait-a-year-for-justice she says, "I have said before that it's not about black and white. And as I look in the crowds when we're at the rallies and at the different church services and things like that, I notice that it's not just African-American people. It's not just black people that are there. There are Spanish people, there are white people, there are Mexican people, Cuban people — there are people from all across the globe. So, that indicates to me that it's not just about African-Americans." I have not seen anywhere where she is trying to create racial strife. But there is racism, certainly, in this case....but it is not from Sanford, or Sybrina Fulton, or even GZ himself (he seems to hate everyone equally), it is from everyone looking at this case through the lens of their own bigotry (or lack thereof). For instance, in these forums a white woman can hold repeated fundraisers for a missing or dead child, and most will remark on the poor, poor mother and what she has gone through. A black woman accepts vacation time and is said to be "profiting" off her son's death. Really? Do you feel the other mothers mentioned throughout these forums should "go back to work" shortly after the death of their child? Do you feel Beth Holloway "profited" off the death of her daughter? And if not, why not? I'm not saying she did - I'm just curious if you look at a white woman's situation differently than a black woman's. And yes, most people had "nothing to do with the death of this poor boy," but unless something is done about profiling - of all kinds - and the SYG laws, more innocent people will die. That is what his mother is rallying for, and it's about time someone did.

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #711 on: June 22, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »

The man would have never had his day in court if the parents had not worked so hard to make that happen.  You wonder why they are standing next to Al Sharpton?  Because that was the only way they could garner the support needed to get justice for their child.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.
Bongosmom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #712 on: June 22, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »

Whoops - I messed up the quote. The first part of my post was a quote from kcrn. I don't do the forums very often, so I'm still learning.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #713 on: June 22, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

A lot of posters here and elsewhere supported the firing of the NBC reporter who skewed the conversation George Zimmerman had with the 9-11 operator. 

I didn't see anyone wanting to have the ABC reporter fired whose story stated Trayvon's body was in the morgue for three days before his parents started looking for him.
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #714 on: June 22, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »

I have friends in Sanford.

Their perspective matches yours. Since the first day this tragedy was reported.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #715 on: June 22, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

::snipping2::According to the interview PEOPLE had with Trayvon's father, Tracy Martin, he was not concerned when his son didn't return home the evening he was shot because he thought he might have gone to the movies with his responsible older cousin. He went to sleep, and when he awoke to find his son gone he grew concerned. He made several phone calls, no one knew where Trayvon was.

Tracy Martin called the Sanford Police who came to his home the morning after the shooting. When he told police about his son's disapperance, police asked him for a photo of his son. Tracy showed the police officer a photo of Trayvon he had saved on his cellphone. The officer said he was going to show Martin a photo to see if it was his son. It was a photo of Trayvon's dead body.   ::snipping2::

These were not uncaring parents who had no regard for their child as has been reported over and over.  The early reports that Trayvon lay dead in the morgue for three days before his parents claimed him were especially disgusting.  The fact is LE made no attempt to locate the family of the deceased after the incident.

::snipping2::According to the ABC News article, the family said officers didn’t bother to ask neighbors if they recognized Trayvon, who had been staying with his father who lives in the neighborhood where he was shot.

Police reportedly had Trayvon’s cellphone in their possession yet they alledgedly made no attempts to call his friends or family whose numbers could have been retrieved from his phone. According to his girlfriend, she and Trayvon were talking on the phone moments before he was shot and killed by 28-year-old neighborhood watch captain, George Zimmerman. ::snipping2::

The very next morning after waking and seeing that his son was not home Tracy, Trayvon's father, called dispatch to report him missing.  He even states to dispatch that it hasn't been 24 hours yet but his son is missing, so he knows that 24 hour rule but he's clearly concerned.

Another article from March 26 2012 which contains the conference call/interview with Trayvon's father.....

http://www.thecharlottepost.com/index.php?src=news&srctype=detail&category=News&refno=4505

Trayvon Martin’s parents re-live ‘nightmare’

Published Monday, March 26, 2012 8:28 am
by George E. Curry, NNPA

Tracy Martin was unaware that his honor roll son, who was visiting from Miami, had been killed around 7 p.m. that Sunday.

Martin, Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton; Benjamin Crump, the family lawyer; Al Sharpton and former New York Gov. David Patterson participated in an exclusive 1-hour telephone conference call last Thursday with the National Newspaper Publishers Association.

Martin told publishers how he learned that his son had been killed.

“I had been out to dinner. When we got back between 10:15 and 10:45, he wasn’t at home. The night before, he had been to the movies with my nephew, who had recently moved up to the Orlando area from Miami. Every time Trayvon would come up here, they would find something to do, usually they would go to dinner. My nephew is 20 years old, a very responsible young man. So there was not panic at that moment that he was not home. I made several attempts to call his cell phone and it was going straight to voicemail. I called my nephew’s cell phone and it was going straight to voicemail. So at that point, I figured they had been in the movies because they would always go to the movies.”

Tracy Martin and his girlfriend went to bed. But the next morning, the day Martin and his son had planned to return to Miami, he learned that Trayvon still wasn’t back in the house. Tracy called his nephew again, this time reaching him and learning that Trayvon wasn’t with him.

“I had [his girlfriend] call juvenile justice, just to check and see if anyone by the name of Trayvon Martin had been picked up. No Trayvon Martin,” the father told NNPA. “My next call was to the Seminole County Sheriff’s Department to see if any kid had been picked up.

“My third call was to a non-emergency number at the Seminole County Sheriff’s

Department and I informed them that I was filing a missing person’s report. I let them know it hadn’t been 24 hours, but it was unusual for Trayvon not to return home. I told them we were supposed to be leaving that morning when we woke up. They asked me a few questions about him: date of birth, height, complexion, weight and they told me they would dispatch a unit. Five minutes later, she called me back and asked what was he last wearing. I gave them a description of the clothes that he had on last. She said a unit would be out.”

At that point, Tracy Martin still had no clue that his son was dead.

He said: “I got up, got on clothes, went outside because I knew my kid was going to walk back up to the door. Instead, three cars pulled up to the door, one of them an unmarked police vehicle.

“The first officer approached. I introduced myself and told him I was filing a missing person’s report. The second person to approach was a plainclothes detective. He asked me if I had a recent picture of Trayvon and it just so happened that I had taken a picture in my camera, maybe a week or two prior to the incident. I showed them the picture. He told me to give him a second. He walked to his vehicle, retrieved a folder and asked could we go into the house. We walked into the house. He told me he was going to show me a photo and that he was going to ask me if this was my kid. And he pulled out the photo. From that point, it’s been like a nightmare.”

http://www.thecharlottepost.com/index.php?src=news&srctype=detail&category=News&refno=4505

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #716 on: June 22, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »

Here are some direct quotes from the parents, none of which call GZ a racist.  They are only seeking justice for their child.  'Race card' is such a cliche.  This murder was treated very poorly by LE and it was most likely handled that way because it was a white shooter and a black teen, as has been the case in Sanford on numerous occasions.

http://thegrio.com/2012/03/26/trayvon-martins-parents-to-thousands-at-rally-this-family-is-hurt/

::snipping2::“My heart is broken,” Fulton said, “That’s the first and foremost — that was my baby.”

“And I just want to appeal to you all…if you have children, and if something happens to your children, as a parent you want answers to your questions.” ::snipping2::

::snipping2:: “I know I cannot bring my baby back,” she said, “but I’m sure going to make changes so that does not happen to another family.”  ::snipping2::

::snipping2:: Tracy Martin called his son his “best friend,” and also spoke about Trayvon in deeply emotional terms.

“The greatest gift God can give to a man is a son,” Martin said.

“There’s no monetary gift you can give a woman for giving you a son. George Michael Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Benjamin Martin in cold blood. He took my son away from me.”

Martin said he and Trayvon’s supporters were there to deliver more than 2 million signatures on an online petition, created by the family, calling for Zimmerman’s arrest.

“For Sanford police to feel they were going to sweep another black minority death under the rug is an atrocity.”

“This family is hurt,” Martin said, “This family is torn. and the Sanford Police Department needs to be held accountable. George Michael Zimmerman needs to be arrested. He needs to be put on trial. He needs to be given a sentence by a jury of his peers. We’re not asking for an eye for an eye, we’re asking for justice.” ::snipping2::

::snipping2::“Who was the officer who made the determination not to do a background check on the person who had just shot dead Trayvon Benjamin Martin, but determined to do a background check on a dead child?” Crump asked, directing his comments at the city manager.

“Who was the officer who made the determination to drug test Tracy and Sybrina’s baby but not Zimmerman? Who was the officer who let Zimmerman go home in the clothes he was wearing” when he shot Trayvon?

“Can you understand,” Crump asked rhetorically, “that none of this would have happened if (police) had treated George Zimmerman the way they would have treated Trayvon Martin?”  ::snipping2::

They want justice and they want people to see that sometimes people are treated differently because they are black.  Denial doesn't change the truth of it.

again, i am not going to argue the fact that there are some in law enforcement who treat black & white differently.  U can call"playing the racecard" a cliche all day long but that doesnt change the fact that it happens every day. It is happening in this case imo. I also never believed that they left their son in a morgue for 3 days. All i said is if it were me, theres no way i could go to bed knowing that my 17 year old in a city where he knows noone who allegedly ran to the store to get candy for his little brother has not returned. I would have at the very least called. Why didnt the gf who was on the phone with him during all of this & who claims he was frightened that someone was following him call back & let his parents know he may have been in trouble of some kind? I dont doubt that the parents love their son & are grieving & angry over his death. I would be too. But please dont try to pretend that they havent tried to make this into a race thing. U have no way of knowing if the case would have been handled differently if the shooter were black & the victim white. Its speculation. It implies that law enforcement as a whole & the general population couldnt care less if a black man dies. Racism exists in america. No way to change closed minded people, but it goes both ways. Hispanics, asians, jewish, white......... Im sure any race could attest to some discrimination or racism in their experiences. I believe that trayvon instigated a confrontation & gz legitimately feared for his life in that moment. I also believe gz was an idiot for putting himself in that position. I do not believe he singled trayvon out & wanted to kill a black kid thst night. As far as asking the neighbors if they recognized him, should they have carried a picture of a dead kid door to door? My heart breaks for this CHILD as that is what he was. The death is senseless & didnt need to happen. Unfortunately, some stupid thinking went down that night by both parties involved. There is no evidence that says gz chased him & shot him in the back as he was running away. A confrontation obviously took place & a fight/struggle followed.  U have no way of knowing who instigated the physical confrontation.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #717 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »

again, i am not going to argue the fact that there are some in law enforcement who treat black & white differently.  U can call"playing the racecard" a cliche all day long but that doesnt change the fact that it happens every day. It is happening in this case imo. I also never believed that they left their son in a morgue for 3 days. All i said is if it were me, theres no way i could go to bed knowing that my 17 year old in a city where he knows noone who allegedly ran to the store to get candy for his little brother has not returned. I would have at the very least called. Why didnt the gf who was on the phone with him during all of this & who claims he was frightened that someone was following him call back & let his parents know he may have been in trouble of some kind? I dont doubt that the parents love their son & are grieving & angry over his death. I would be too. But please dont try to pretend that they havent tried to make this into a race thing. U have no way of knowing if the case would have been handled differently if the shooter were black & the victim white. Its speculation. It implies that law enforcement as a whole & the general population couldnt care less if a black man dies. Racism exists in america. No way to change closed minded people, but it goes both ways. Hispanics, asians, jewish, white......... Im sure any race could attest to some discrimination or racism in their experiences. I believe that trayvon instigated a confrontation & gz legitimately feared for his life in that moment. I also believe gz was an idiot for putting himself in that position. I do not believe he singled trayvon out & wanted to kill a black kid thst night. As far as asking the neighbors if they recognized him, should they have carried a picture of a dead kid door to door? My heart breaks for this CHILD as that is what he was. The death is senseless & didnt need to happen. Unfortunately, some stupid thinking went down that night by both parties involved. There is no evidence that says gz chased him & shot him in the back as he was running away. A confrontation obviously took place & a fight/struggle followed.  U have no way of knowing who instigated the physical confrontation.

I never accused you of stating Trayvon lay in a morgue for three days but it was posted here several times by others and it was reported in the news which is atrocious.

The 'race card' is not being played in this case by Trayvon's parents.  One need only look to their actual quotes to see that all they want is justice and an end to racial profiling, both of which are legitimate and very real issues.  It seems to me that the 'race card' card is being played by those who want to belittle the real issues that lie within this case.

LE had Trayvon's phone and made no attempt to contact anyone to let them know he had been shot!  Unjustifiable.

Tracy Martin explains very well why it wasn't until the next morning that LE was called.  He also explains that Trayvon did in fact know someone from the area... his 20 year old responsible cousin with whom he goes to the movies.

The trends and patterns within the Sanford police department, based on what citizens local to the area have expressed, indicate that this case would have been handled differently had Trayvon been a white child.

No one has suggested Trayvon was shot in the back but to think he attacked Zimmerman for no reason is equally ridiculous. 

kcrn
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #718 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »

Well, I do know of this police chief and this town - I live and own property there. There is no racial tension in Sanford; at least, not more than there ever was. Any racial tension that exists has been fabricated by the media. I didn't say that police chiefs are responsible for the SYG laws - I said they were against them. How do you feel the parents have played the race card unfairly? I have not seen it, and I was at the Sanford rallies. Could you provide some links, or quotes, of the parents playing the race card? His mother is rallying against racial profiling - which occurs all the time in Sanford - and against SYG laws. How is that "playing" the race card? In this interview http://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151377059/sybrina-fulton-i-can-wait-a-year-for-justice she says, "I have said before that it's not about black and white. And as I look in the crowds when we're at the rallies and at the different church services and things like that, I notice that it's not just African-American people. It's not just black people that are there. There are Spanish people, there are white people, there are Mexican people, Cuban people — there are people from all across the globe. So, that indicates to me that it's not just about African-Americans." I have not seen anywhere where she is trying to create racial strife. But there is racism, certainly, in this case....but it is not from Sanford, or Sybrina Fulton, or even GZ himself (he seems to hate everyone equally), it is from everyone looking at this case through the lens of their own bigotry (or lack thereof). For instance, in these forums a white woman can hold repeated fundraisers for a missing or dead child, and most will remark on the poor, poor mother and what she has gone through. A black woman accepts vacation time and is said to be "profiting" off her son's death. Really? Do you feel the other mothers mentioned throughout these forums should "go back to work" shortly after the death of their child? Do you feel Beth Holloway "profited" off the death of her daughter? And if not, why not? I'm not saying she did - I'm just curious if you look at a white woman's situation differently than a black woman's. And yes, most people had "nothing to do with the death of this poor boy," but unless something is done about profiling - of all kinds - and the SYG laws, more innocent people will die. That is what his mother is rallying for, and it's about time someone did.

[/quote]

well 1st off, i never commented on the racial tensions in sanford, their police dep or anything else about sanford. I dont even know where exactly sanford is in fl much less about the population, crime rates or how the police dept handles anything. This unrest has developed all over the country & i am commenting on that. I also wonder what u base your comments on gz hates everyone on. What proof do u have that he "hates" anyone? I am far from a bigot & teach my chidren that everyone is equal no matter their race, religious affiliation, culture, beliefs etc. People should be judged on their own words & actions. Al sharptons words & actions speak loudly of bigotry. Why affiliate yourself with someone like that? He is using them to further his own agenda. Gz was arrested & charged so at that point, why did the world tour need to continue? A very frightened jury will decide his fate. If the evidence at trial proves his account of what happened, dont think for one second that there wont be some on that jury who are afraid to acquit. I do believe that gz should have been taken into custody right then & there & a proper investigation carried out. I just do not believe this man is the racist monster he has been portrayed as. Maybe the police chief is racist. I dont know that.profiling, btw does not only affect a black man. Maybe he is guilty of profiling in that tm fit the profile of previous suspects in the burglaries in that neighborhood. Could have been young hispanic males or young white males.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #719 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »

I haven't read any quotes by anyone involved in this case who has stated George Zimmerman is a racist monster, or even just a racist.  Maybe I missed them?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.