March 28, 2024, 08:03:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #2 5/10/12 - 7/12/12  (Read 363407 times)
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #920 on: July 06, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »

George Zimmerman could go free today thanks to donations
July 6 '12

SANFORD – Murder defendant George Zimmerman could walk out of the Seminole County Jail today with the help of donations to his legal defense fund.

His lawyer says he's working to pull together enough money to post $1 million in bail and has received about $20,000 from donors since yesterday when Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. set the bond amount.

He opted to release Zimmerman rather than leave him locked up until trial. Since May, Zimmerman has received $55,000 in cash donations through his defense fund website, Gzlegalcase.com.

Zimmerman's lawyer Mark O'Mara said team had secured a temporary safe house for the 28-year-old, who is charged with killing Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black 17-year-old, Feb. 26 on a Sanford sidewalk.  ::snipping2::

Martin's parents are expected to hold a news conference today in New Orleans alongside the Rev. Al Sharpton and their attorneys to react to the judge's decision. They are in the city for a music festival where Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin are guests in a series of seminars related to the event.  ::snipping2:: 

The money was donated by supporters, who were making credit card gifts via PayPal and a website Zimmerman and his family set up before his arrest.

In his order, the judge accused Zimmerman of committing a new felony — lying while providing evidence about bail — and hinted that he might be the subject of future contempt proceedings.

Lester was troubled, he wrote, that Zimmerman and his wife hid the money and that George Zimmerman had, until recently, a second, undisclosed passport.

"It is entirely reasonable for this court to find that, but for the requirement that he be placed on electronic monitoring, the defendant and his wife would have fled the United States with at least $130,000 of other people's money," the judge wrote.

Once released, Zimmerman will again be subject to satellite monitoring.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/os-george-zimmerman-prepares-to-leave-jail-20120706,0,6322259.story

It says a lot that during this economic crisis Americans are donating so much to get George out of jail...they are speaking through their wallets since it is so difficult to speak aloud (for fear of being called a racist).  My opinion.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #921 on: July 06, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/no-word-when-george-zimmerman-will-bond-out-jail/nPnbr/

George Zimmerman posts $1M bond, released from jail
Friday, July 6, 2012

(snip) Channel 9's Kathi Belich learned the defense is looking to fire back, discussing whether they’ll ask Lester to step down as judge.

“I don't know that we would jump to that conclusion, but it's something that, along with everything else, where we stand now, that we will consider when we have a more subtle time to do that,” said defense attorney Don West.
 (snip)

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #922 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »

In his 9-page ruling, Judge Lester stated that GZ was getting ready to flee - however, I'm not aware of any evidence submitted to prove that - and I really don't believe that the Judge can read minds.

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #923 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

In his 9-page ruling, Judge Lester stated that GZ was getting ready to flee - however, I'm not aware of any evidence submitted to prove that - and I really don't believe that the Judge can read minds.

Agree.
This seemed to be his rationale--

“Notably, together with the passport, the money only had to be hidden for a short time for him to leave the country if the defendant made a quick decision to flee,” Lester wrote. “It is entirely reasonable for this court to find that, but for the requirement that he be placed on electronic monitoring, the defendant and his wife would have fled the United States with at least $130,000 of other people’s money.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/06/4613372/george-zimmerman-was-preparing.html#storylink=cpy
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #924 on: July 06, 2012, 08:24:44 PM »

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/06/4613372/george-zimmerman-was-preparing.html

George Zimmerman was preparing to jump bail, judge says
By Frances Robles
The Miami Herald
Published: Friday, Jul. 6, 2012

::snipping2::
Lester’s strong rebuke underscored the difficult road Zimmerman has ahead before this judge, legal experts said. It’s Lester who would decide in a “Stand Your Ground” hearing whether Zimmerman’s case should be tossed out on the basis of self-defense immunity. Zimmerman’s life is now in the hands of a judge who said the defendant “manipulated” and flouted the court.

“A witness’ credibility is everything, and the judge views everything Zimmerman says with a suspicious eye,” said Mark NeJame, an Orlando attorney and CNN analyst whom Zimmerman consulted before hiring his current lawyer, Mark O’Mara. “Now O’Mara is going to face the tough decision whether to ever put him on the stand again.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/06/4613372/george-zimmerman-was-preparing.html#storylink=cpy
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #925 on: July 06, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »

Agree.

“Notably, together with the passport, the money only had to be hidden for a short time for him to leave the country if the defendant made a quick decision to flee,” Lester wrote. “It is entirely reasonable for this court to find that, but for the requirement that he be placed on electronic monitoring, the defendant and his wife would have fled the United States with at least $130,000 of other people’s money.”

If he were going to do that...he WOULD have done that. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #926 on: July 07, 2012, 12:43:14 AM »

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/no-word-when-george-zimmerman-will-bond-out-jail/nPnbr/

Friday, July 6, 2012

(snip) Channel 9's Kathi Belich learned the defense is looking to fire back, discussing whether they’ll ask Lester to step down as judge.

“I don't know that we would jump to that conclusion, but it's something that, along with everything else, where we stand now, that we will consider when we have a more subtle time to do that,” said defense attorney Don West.
 (snip)

Won't be surprised to read that O'Mara does request the judge step down. In fact, beginning to wonder if that is what the judge is aiming for? Some of his statements lead one to believe he couldn't possibly be an impartial judge at trial...I think.

Know I'm flogging a dead horse but...the judge did know of the donations at the inital hearing and it's his own darn fault that he didn't follow up on that. I'm really surprised reading his recent statements, he seems to read a lot into few actions...unless there's more to it?
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #927 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:44 AM »

Agree.

Quote..."other people's money"...the $ belonged to Zimmerman, it was GIVEN to him.
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #928 on: July 07, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »

I don't care who you are...two people on the run with $130K - that money won't last that long....IMO I don't seen them fleeing and IMO I think the judge could come under question about things...maybe not...it's just my opinion.

Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #929 on: July 07, 2012, 01:19:32 AM »

Agree.

Quote..."other people's money"...the $ belonged to Zimmerman, it was GIVEN to him.

Right...the donations were "gifts" to GZ - technically it's his money.

Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #930 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »

Friday, July 6, 2012

(snip)

Won't be surprised to read that O'Mara does request the judge step down. In fact, beginning to wonder if that is what the judge is aiming for? Some of his statements lead one to believe he couldn't possibly be an impartial judge at trial...I think.

Know I'm flogging a dead horse but...the judge did know of the donations at the inital hearing and it's his own darn fault that he didn't follow up on that. I'm really surprised reading his recent statements, he seems to read a lot into few actions...unless there's more to it?

The judge's wife was a prosecutor on the case (year's back) involving GZ.

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #931 on: July 07, 2012, 01:29:03 AM »

Agree.

quote 'other people's money'...it was Z's $, GIVEN to him.

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #932 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:59 AM »

So sorry Muffy! Not sure what happened with that last post. Witching hour here on SM?
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #933 on: July 07, 2012, 01:34:43 AM »

Friday, July 6, 2012

(snip)

The judge's wife was a prosecutor on the case (year's back) involving GZ.

Oh, that's interesting and something am sure O'Mara has in his stack of stuff. Gotta head for the hills Puzzler, 'night and God Bless. xx
cecilita
Monkey Junky

« Reply #934 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »

Did he lie about his second passport? I believe that he could flee long time ago and he didnt. My kids are USA citizens and they have their american passports and passports from my country so I believe that George may have a legal passport from Peru because he is a kid of a peruvian citizen.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #935 on: July 07, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/zimmerman-released-bail-stricter-terms-16731127
Zimmerman Released on Bail Under Stricter Terms
July 7, 2012

George Zimmerman is out of jail again, but the rules have changed since the last time he was released on bail after being charged in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin.

When he was freed in April, Zimmerman was allowed to leave Florida — his ultimate destination kept secret by his attorneys for his safety. He had a 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew and couldn't have any guns, but beyond that Zimmerman enjoyed many of the freedoms of people not facing a murder charge.

Now a judge who believes Zimmerman misled the court about his finances is requiring him to stay in Seminole County. He also must be electronically monitored, can't open a bank account, obtain a passport or set foot on the grounds of the local airport. He has a 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

Still, one of Zimmerman's attorneys said his client is "very happy to be out."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #936 on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/06/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
George Zimmerman Released on Bail; HIV Positive Sex Offender Attacks Boy?; Tom Versus Katie: Dirty Divorce?; The Sounds of Sustainability
Aired July 6, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

JIM MORET, HOST: Here`s what`s happening right now.

George Zimmerman is out of jail. What will be his next move?

I`m Jim Moret from "INSIDE EDITION," sitting in for my friend, Jane Velez-Mitchell.

Why was Trayvon Martin`s killer allowed to go free? And is he now strapped for cash? We`ll be breaking it all down, coming up next.

Will George Zimmerman soon be a free man again? After days of deliberating, a Florida judge allows the former Neighborhood Watch captain, accused of gunning down Trayvon Martin, to be released on bond. But this time it comes at a hefty price. Did the judge make the right choice? And will Zimmerman be able to afford the $1 million price tag?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: George Zimmerman could be released from jail as soon as today.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: George Zimmerman is scrambling to come up with enough money to make his million-dollar bond.

BENJAMIN CRUMP, ATTORNEY FOR TRAYVON MARTIN`S FAMILY: The judge sent a very strong message in his order.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What happened here on April 20? And why did that happen?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Trayvon Martin. Trayvon Martin.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, SHOOTING SUSPECT: He said, "Yo, you got a problem?"

And I turned around and I said, "No, I don`t have a problem, man."

SYBRINA FULTON, MOTHER OF TRAYVON MARTIN: This is not about a black and white thing. This is about a right and wrong thing.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Somehow Mr. Martin, because he was wearing a hoody, is a criminal?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We`ve heard that Trayvon Martin was just minding his own business. And there doesn`t seem to be anything to contest that.

MARK O`MARA, ATTORNEY FOR GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: It`s not the grand conspiracy that the state seems to suggest.

(SINGING)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He had lacerations on the back of his head.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: So his head was banged into something harder than his head.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No justice, no peace! No justice, no peace!

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No justice, no peace! No justice, no peace!

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No justice, no peace! No justice, no peace!

(END VIDEOTAPE)

MORET: George Zimmerman posts bail and gets out of jail. And his victory comes with a cost.

Hi, everyone.

Here he is leaving jail just a short time ago. Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed teen Trayvon Martin. But he was sent back to the slammer after the court found he lied about his finances. And now a Florida judge has granted him bail.

But that freedom doesn`t come cheap. His bail? A cool $1 million. But here`s the thing: he went to a bail bondsman who posted bail but only took 10 percent. That means Zimmerman`s legal team only needed $100,000 cash. But because they already paid $15,000, they really only needed 85 grand more.

We know Zimmerman was flush with cash. Listen to what prosecution`s attorneys revealed in the hearing.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There was a transfer of -- into the account of George Zimmerman of like $5,880 and then also that day $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, and I believe one final $9,900.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORET: The judge was pretty harsh in his ruling, saying the defendant has tried to manipulate the system and that the money only had to be hidden for a short time before he would leave the country. But he still granted bail.

Joining me is HLN law enforcement analyst Mike Brooks with the very latest.

Mike, what do you have?

MIKE BROOKS, HLN LAW ENFORCEMENT ANALYST: Well, I tell you, Jim, it looks right around 2:50 this afternoon George Zimmerman walked out of the Seminole County Jail.

Now, we saw a white SUV pull up. It was right in the handicap parking right outside the door. And then the door opened up. And out walked a guy in a blue shirt and a guy in a black shirt. And right between them was George Zimmerman.

Now, supposedly, Jim, they are going to be taking him to what they`re calling a safe house. But we know that it has to be somewhere there in Seminole County, because that`s one of the conditions of his release. He cannot leave Seminole County. And he also has to check in with pretrial services every 48 hours.

But, Jim, people are talking about where`s all this money coming from? Just in the last 24 hours, Jim, he has raised $20,000. I think that is unbelievable.

MORET: Mike, are they concerned about possible death threats continuing with Zimmerman?

BROOKS: Well, that`s why they`re going to take him to this safe house, because we have seen, you know, demonstrations. And the country is basically divided into two camps: those that think George Zimmerman gunned down Trayvon Martin in cold blood; and those that think that he was standing his ground and this is a case of self-defense.

So, yes, I would say that George Zimmerman, you know, is probably -- is in fear of his life. And that`s the reason they`re going to be taking him to a safe house where no one knows where he`s going to be. But it has to be in Seminole County.

MORET: Joey Jackson, criminal defense attorney, joining us from New York. How important was it for Zimmerman`s attorneys to get him out of custody from the standpoint of putting this case together?

JOEY JACKSON, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: You know, it`s important. I mean, you could certainly go and you can meet with your client in any facility, you know, that they`re in, but it`s important for a couple of reasons.

No. 1, obviously, he`s out. It allows the attorneys an opportunity to meet with him in private at times of their own choosing. Logistical concerns, they`re not as heightened or there`s not that concern, because you can meet with your client whenever you`d like to.

And then, of course, you know, no one likes to be in jail. Right? I mean, obviously everybody wants their freedom.

As to whether he`ll remain free, I mean, we`ll see. Because obviously, there will be this immunity hearing at -- in the event that the attorney chooses to have one after that bail, you know, decision the judge made.

But, you know, I think moving forward, certainly, I think his camp is pleased with the fact that he`s out. And at $1 million it certainly came at a price, though, as you said, Jim.

MORET: And for those of you who are confused, we want to go over what Zimmerman did to get his bail taken away in the first place. He spoke with his wife in code to hide how much money they`d raised. Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

G. ZIMMERMAN: If the bond is 50, 15, if it`s more than 50, just pay 10 percent to a bondsman.

SHELLIE ZIMMERMAN, WIFE: You don`t want me to pay $100?

G. ZIMMERMAN: I don`t know.

S. ZIMMERMAN: All right. Well, just think about it.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORET: And Mike Brooks alluded to this. Look at the restrictions placed upon Zimmerman.

He has to report to officials every two days. He can`t have a bank account. He has a 6 p.m. curfew every night. He can`t have a passport. He cannot go to the airport. He will still have an electronic monitor.

Judge Mary Ann Gunn, who hosts "Last Shot with Judge Gunn," joins us by Skype.

Judge, we saw in this case the judge was very upset with what the judge called a manipulation of the system. Are you surprised, first of all, that bail was granted?

And secondly, how much does it hurt in the case as it proceeds for the credibility of this defendant?

JUDGE MARY ANN GUNN, HOST, "LAST SHOT WITH JUDGE GUNN": Well, obviously, you don`t lie to the court. That`s the first rule of business. And everybody knew, once the judge revoked the bond, that it was going to be a much higher bond.

He`s charged with second degree. So he`s entitled to a bond. The question becomes whether or not he`s a flight risk.

He`s scared to death for his life. And he appears to be secreting himself every chance that he gets. And the reality is he`s not -- he`s not on the hook for the million-dollar bond. His bondman is now. And the court will go to the bondsman if he runs.

Zimmerman has raised his $100,000 and paid 10 percent on the bond. I`m surprised that the bondsman didn`t get additional collateral for him, because if he runs, they`ll pay it to the court.

MORET: Mark Nejame, criminal defense attorney, HLN legal analyst.

Look, I agree with the judge. You don`t lie to the court. And here you`ve got a defendant whose word is going to be on the line here with these jurors. And they`re going to know he lied. Doesn`t this hurt from the defense standpoint?

MARK NEJAME, HLN LEGAL ANALYST: Well, I couldn`t agree more that, you know, rule No. 1 is you never misrepresent yourself to the court. You always have respect for the court. And the court was clearly deceived.

So all the judge did I completely concur with. But I think that the credibility of Zimmerman will only be heard by the judge in a presumed stand-your-ground hearing that`s going to be coming up. Because at that point the judge is the trier of the fact. He`s also the trier of the law. And he`s already got grave and great credibility issues with Zimmerman.

So I think that Zimmerman`s chances are greatly reduced of prevailing as a result of these credibility issues with the future stand-your-ground hearing.

However, presuming that he loses that and he goes to trial and he claims self-defense, none of these issues will be brought before the court -- excuse me, before the jury. So they will not hear all those things that we now know, because they`re just going to be hearing the facts of the case.

So in the court of public opinion, of course it damages him tremendously. However, in the stand-your-ground hearing, because only Judge Russell will hear it, I think it will hurt him. But when it ultimately comes down to the trial, I don`t think it will make a difference.

MORET: Judge Gunn, we have about 10 or 15 seconds before we go to a break. Do you think this is going to hurt if this goes forward to trial? Is this -- the fact that he lied to the judge -- going to hurt him as the case continues?

GUNN: It will hurt his credibility with the judge. But it will -- the jury should -- probably will not hear about it unless he takes the stand. If he takes the stand and says, "I don`t lie," then I think it could come before the jury and would be relevant.

But chances are his defense attorneys will be very careful about that.

COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He had blood on his face and the back of his head. And that was about -- about all I remember as far as his injuries. I think he had a cut on his nose, as well. A good 45 percent of his head and face were covered in blood.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORET: Welcome back. I`m Jim Moret from "Inside Edition," sitting in for Jane.

Trayvon Martin`s family is not happy with Zimmerman going free, but they`re not standing in his way. They are standing strong. Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FULTON: Trayvon was my baby. And I usually get emotional just thinking about the situation that has happened. And just to know that the killer of my son may walk free some time one day, it really hurts.

TRACY MARTIN, FATHER OF TRAYVON: As a father, it`s difficult as we sit through these proceedings. You feel powerless when you hear things said about your child that, you know, is not true.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORET: Family attorney says they are not going to fight the ruling that allowed Zimmerman to go free.

Holly Hughes, what options does the family have? They can clearly file a civil lawsuit as this proceeds, but at this point, are they going to take a wait-and-see attitude? And just let the criminal justice system work its way?

HOLLY HUGHES, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, I think they are. Because technically speaking, although they are the agreed party here in the criminal process, they are the surviving victims. You know, Trayvon himself was a victim. Parents are a victim.

But they have no say. Once a case is filed, it`s the prosecutor`s decision. So they don`t -- you know, they can say, "We don`t want him to have bond," but legally speaking, they don`t have a dog in the fight.

So their option here is to let the criminal case play out. Hopefully, they will see the justice that they`re seeking done. And after that, they have the remedy of filing a civil suit.

And if people continue to donate money to George Zimmerman and that money is not exhausted, that`s George Zimmerman`s money. So that`s something they can go after. Even though money won`t bring back their son and it won`t make them whole, they can certainly seek damages. And those damages may ultimately be paid out of the money that people are sending in, if that fund is still up and running at the time of the civil suit.

MORET: Joey Jackson, criminal defense attorney from New York. Look, a lot of people are upset with this case anyway. They feel like Zimmerman got away with murder. And clearly, that`s to be decided by the court.

But we do know that Zimmerman lied. And a lot of people think, look, here he`s getting away with that, because he`s out. From a PR standpoint - - and I know you do worry about public opinion as well as the court, what do you do to rehabilitate this guy if you`re a defense attorney?

JACKSON: You know, it has a lot to do with whether he acts responsibly from here on in. Obviously, his attorneys are going to brief him. And it starts with the basics, Jim. What does that mean? It means comply with every bail condition. Whether it`s not to have alcohol, whether it`s not to miss your curfew by one second, whether it`s certainly, he shouldn`t be applying for passports and doing the obvious things. But a lot has to do with how he comports himself.

And we better not hear any -- anything of a negative variety in terms of what he`s done, certainly no statements, no interviews, any of that. But in terms of rehabilitating reputation, it`s very difficult.

And I think in the court of law when he comes and he does testify -- and he essentially almost has to, right? Because this is the type of thing where it`s going to be his word against what happens, yes, there`s a lot of independent evidence that`s here, but it`s going to be him on the line.

And you can rest assured, Jim, that the prosecutors are going to be giving him a withering cross-examination when the time comes. But it should be a very interesting thing to watch in the very near future.

MORET: Is this a nightmare case from a defense standpoint? Because you`re behind the 8-ball, right? Right from the get-go.

JACKSON: You know, absolutely. It`s very difficult. But at the same time there are things the defense is going to do. I mean, they`re going to be plotting their strategy.

And the first thing they have to consider, though, Jim, is whether or not they`re going to have this immunity hearing. If you read the decision, the judge was -- I mean, he vilified essentially George Zimmerman, talking about how he was manipulative, flaunted the system. And this will be the same judge who has to evaluate his credibility in an immunity hearing.

And then if George Zimmerman testifies there, the extent to what that`s going to be used against him at trial is going to be enormous.

So the defense has a lot of decisions to make, starting with whether they have such a hearing or waive it and just allow a jury to make the ultimate decision.

There`s certainly things the defense has to work with here, but the prosecution is certainly going to be on their a-game and moving forward.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #937 on: July 08, 2012, 12:30:22 AM »

Two-page article

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-07/news/os-george-zimmerman-sanford-police-lied-20120707_1_special-prosecutor-angela-corey-chief-bill-lee-arrest-warrant

Sanford police took one position on Trayvon shooting in public, another in paperwork to prosecutors
8:30 p.m. EST, July 7, 2012

SANFORD — While publicly saying one thing — that they did not have enough evidence to arrest George Zimmerman — Sanford police did essentially the opposite: filing paperwork saying they had enough to charge him with manslaughter.

It's something the department kept secret for two months, according to documents recently released by the special prosecutor in the case.

Here are their words versus their actions on three key dates, all from one tumultuous week about two weeks after Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black 17-year-old:

At 4 p.m. March 12, Sanford police Chief Bill Lee Jr. stood in City Hall plaza in front of a hostile crowd and dozens of reporters and insisted his agency could not arrest Zimmerman because investigators had failed to establish probable cause, the minimal standard of evidence to justify filing a criminal case.

The next day, however, his agency sent prosecutors paperwork saying it did have probable cause and asked that they charge Zimmerman with manslaughter.

It was signed by lead Investigator Chris Serino and his boss, then-Sgt. Randy Smith, but it was the department's official position and had the support of Lee, said Capt. Bob O'Connor, who oversees the department's major-crimes division and also was part of the investigation.

The request was sent to State Attorney Norm Wolfinger, whose office then took over the investigation.

Three days later, on March 16, Lee and several Sanford officers involved in the case, including Serino, went over some of the details of their investigation with the Orlando Sentinel.

They insisted they were prohibited by law from arresting or charging Zimmerman because they didn't have enough evidence to disprove his claim of self-defense.

"If we had arrested him," Lee said that day, "we feel we would have violated his constitutional rights. … I'm not going to violate the trust and oath that I took and arrest somebody, violate their rights."

Said Serino, "The best evidence we have is the testimony of George Zimmerman. … We did not have enough for an arrest warrant."
tupelohoney
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #938 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/07/george-zimmerman-his-attorney-is-ultimate-professional.html

George Zimmerman: His attorney is ‘ultimate professional’
posted by halboedeker on July, 8 2012 9:02 AM

No child should have duct tape on their face when they die. There's no reason to put duct tape on the face after they die. ~ Dr. G

"People don't make accidents look like murder." ~ Jeff Ashton
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #939 on: July 08, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »

George Zimmerman, the Constitution, and the shifting politics of self-defense
July 7 '12

George Zimmerman’s lawyer says at the heart of the Trayvon Martin murder case lies a constitutional prerogative: The right of Americans to carry guns and use them in self-defense. Is he right?

Within 24 hours of Seminole County, Fla., Judge Kenneth Lester issuing a stern order allowing George Zimmerman, the defendant in the Trayvon Martin murder case, to post a $1 million bond, the volunteer neighborhood watchman received over $25,000 in donations, bringing his defense war chest to nearly a quarter of a million dollrs.

Mark O’Mara, Mr. Zimmerman’s attorney, wrote that donors have been lining up for several reasons – that he’s been unfairly treated by the media, that he’s been falsely labeled a racist, and that donors, if they were in a similar position, would likely have done the same thing.

But in making an appeal for more funds, Mr. O’Mara also suggested on Friday that many Americans have given because they feel “this case is an affront to their constitutional rights,” namely the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0707/George-Zimmerman-the-Constitution-and-the-shifting-politics-of-self-defense

2 page article

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.