March 19, 2024, 03:50:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transcripts  (Read 36760 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/19/ddhln.01.html
DR. DREW
Missing Kids; Living with a Mental Illness
Aired July 19, 2012 - 21:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
DR. DREW PINSKY, HOST: Here we go.
 ::snipping2::
PINSKY: Thank you, Patrick. George Zimmerman`s shocking interview about the night he shot Trayvon Martin. I want to hear from you about that. I`ll be joined by Marcia Clark. Our number here, 855-DrDrew5.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

PINSKY: George Zimmerman says it was God`s plan that brought he and Trayvon Martin together the night of their deadly confrontation. I`m not so sure. I think it was Mr. Zimmerman following Trayvon and making Trayvon suspicious that led to all the trouble, but Zimmerman admits to shooting Trayvon in the chest.

He says it was self-defense. He`s out on bail, charged with second- degree murder. Last night, he spoke to Fox News` Sean Hannity. Take a look.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, ACCUSED OF KILLING TRAYVON MARTIN: I felt he was suspicious because it was raining. He was in between houses, cutting in between houses, and he was walking very leisurely for the weather. He started bashing my head into the concrete sidewalk. As soon as he broke my nose, I started yelling for help.

So, I was disoriented, and he started slamming my head into concrete. He said you`re going to die tonight (EXPLETIVE DELETED) and took one hand off of my mouth and I felt it going down my chest towards my belt and my holster and that`s when I didn`t have any more time.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: Joining us, Marcia Clark, former prosecutor and author of "Guilt By Degrees." Marcia, do you think it was a good idea for Zimmerman`s attorney to allow him to address the media?

MARCIA CLARK, FORMER PROSECUTOR: I`m of two minds about that, Drew. You know, I`m not sure. Usually, I would say categorically no. It`s always a bad idea. Don`t let your client be out there. Don`t let the prosecution get preview of what he`s going to say so they can be ready to punch holes in it. In this case, though, it may be the right thing for him to do, because there`s so much out there that`s bad for him, so much anti- Zimmerman opinion, theory, evidence that he wants to start back spinning it.

He needs to backspin. He needs to start creating a doubt in people`s minds. And so, having Zimmerman out there saying there`s another side, here`s my side to erode some of that certainty is probably a good move.

PINSKY: Do you think that by going out there and eroding some of that opinion, he can affect jury selection or who might be in that jury pool?

CLARK: Oh, that`s the idea.

PINSKY: OK.

CLARK: Generally. Oh, yes. That`s definitely what they`re doing. They`re trying to taint the jury pool or they would say balance the jury pool.
PINSKY: Taint or balance. That`s how we look at it. Now, after the interview, Zimmerman re-launched his website. It`s called TheRealGeorgeZimmerman.com asking supporters to donate to his defense fund. Take a look at this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ZIMMERMAN: However, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, the masses. This is our website. It`s not my website. It is our website where you can personally communicate with me, and I hope to be your website to provide the facts.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: Again, do you think his attorney was endorsing, allowing, embracing this idea?

CLARK: That, I`m not sure of. I don`t know what compliant client he is or not. And that has a lot to do with it. He`s shown himself to kind of be a little bit of a loose cannon in the beginning of this case. So, he may have gone off on his own to do this one. I don`t know. I don`t recommend what he`s doing here.

And if he`s trying to actually interact spontaneously with people who call in and ask for his side of the story, that`s an even worse idea. Horrible idea.

PINSKY: But he does need money for his defense fund.

CLARK: Yes, I`m sure.

PINSKY: Let`s take a quick call. Let`s talk to Randi in Florida -- Randi.

RANDI, FLORIDA: Hi, Dr. Drew. Hi, Marcia.

PINSKY: Randi.
RANDI: I guess, you know, after the watching the interview last night, I was really very confused and I still don`t understand why Zimmerman did not identify himself with his name and, of course, his role as neighborhood watch.

And then, I was also confused as to, you know, he just followed him, you know, was what we heard originally, and then last time, he says, well, I just went the same direction which, you know, of course, means the same thing.

PINSKY: So, Randi, you kind of feel like he was trying to engage as opposed to saying, hey, get out of here, I`m the neighborhood watch that sort of thing, right?

RANDI: Right. Exactly.

PINSKY: That`s an interesting thought, isn`t it?

CLARK: It really is.

PINSKY: Yes.

CLARK: And it`s a good point.

PINSKY: Yes. I think that`s -- because that`s the core here, isn`t it?

CLARK: Yes.

PINSKY: It`s like he made some choices that led to a horrible outcome.
CLARK: Yes.

PINSKY: Horrible.

CLARK: Horrible.

PINSKY: What people are really scrutinizing is what was in his head at the beginning?

CLARK: What was in his head? What was motivating him? Why did he follow? How long did he follow? And then, ultimately, the credibility call of all time, which is, do we believe the story he`s telling us now or not? And at the end of the day, Drew, it`s going to come down to this. You`re going to have many statements from him.

You`re going to have the original statements to the police, you`re going to have the subsequent statements to the police, then you`re going to have these statements, you`re going to have a million statements. To the extent they`re inconsistent, that hurts him. The other thing you`re going to have is physical evidence.

What on Trayvon martin`s body tells us that we should or should not believe George Zimmerman? He says Trayvon hit him, punched him in the head repeatedly. You know, that the head is a bony, bony structure. If you`re punching it with your fist, you`re going to have abrasions on your knuckles. You`re going to have bruises

There should be some blood on him if he broke his nose, and he`s continuing to contact him. We`ll see what the autopsy and the forensics say. That`s going to be critical, too.

PINSKY: Well, you know, one thing I did take -- I took away from this, this is all so damn sad. This is just sad for everybody. Khalid in North Carolina -- Khalid. Khalid? Maybe mispronouncing that name? All right. Meryl in California -- Meryl.

MERYL, CALIFORNIA: Yes.

PINSKY: Go right ahead.

MERYL: Yes. My question is, why would a -- Zimmerman`s attorney allow his client to use the word "God`s plan" in any kind of a phrase in defense of his actions? That was the nail in his coffin because now the prosecuting attorney could zone in that the thing was planned.

I think he should have said if he used the word "God`s plan" should have been it was God`s plan to -- for him to survive the beating, but not to use it in his defense --

PINSKY: Or God`s will. God`s will.

CLARK: Well, that`s you why don`t let your client do these interviews because you can only control so much.

PINSKY: Right.

CLARK: Right? I mean, I understand why he wanted to do it. I can even see this unique case, maybe it was a good idea, but this is why you don`t do it.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/19/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
New Developments in Case of Missing Iowa girls
Aired July 19, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

Plus, new outrage in the wake of George Zimmerman`s first TV interview. You won`t believe what the accused gunman says when asked if he regrets the night he killed Trayvon Martin. The dead teen`s family is furious.

Was this a brilliant PR move for Zimmerman`s defense? Or could it be a gift to prosecutors in his upcoming murder trial?

::snipping2::(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: George Zimmerman`s first TV interview.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: George Zimmerman actually went on Fox News last night to tell his side of the story.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, CHARGED WITH TRAYVON MARTIN`S MURDER: I`m not a racist. And I`m not a murderer.

He apologized to the family of Trayvon Martin, but also said he has no regrets.

DARYL PARKS ATTORNEY FOR TRAYVON MARTIN`S FAMILY: The state attorney is going to see this interview as a gift.

ZIMMERMAN: I feel like it was all God`s plan.

SYBRINA FULTON, MOTHER OF TRAYVON MARTIN: God did not have a plan for Trayvon to die.

ZIMMERMAN: I do wish that there was something, anything I could have done that wouldn`t have put me in the position where I had to take his life.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Why did he even get out to call? Why was my son so suspicious?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: We have breaking news just into the newsroom on this case. Just minutes ago an all-new George Zimmerman video came out. We`ve put it through our process and we can show you a tiny tidbit. That`s how recently it came in.

Jane Velez-Mitchell back with you live. Now, here it is. His first message to the public straight from his Web site. Take a look at this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ZIMMERMAN: Hello. This is George Zimmerman. First and foremost I want to thank you all for visiting the realGeorgeZimmerman.com. We`ve re- launched this Web site to once again thank you, my supporters.

My intention was and still is to personally and individually thank you all. However, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, the masses.

This is our Web site. It`s not my Web site. It is our Web site where you can personally communicate with me. And I hope to be your Web site to provide facts.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Ok. I`m watching that as you`re watching that. This case has gone off the rails. What the heck was that? A defendant who is in a safehouse.

You know what; it reminds me of the Casey Anthony videos, the video diary she sent out.

I got to go to Daryl Parks, the attorney for Trayvon Martin`s family. That`s the family -- that`s the family of the young man gunned down, the unarmed teen who`s going to get Skittles and ice tea.

Did you see and hear that new video? Oh my gosh. We just got it in.

PARKS: I just listened to it. But I`m not really surprised by that because some of the information that I have read this week indicated that, one, they were trying to solicit funds. Number two, I saw a very interesting piece of data that said George Zimmerman was maintaining editorial control of that Web site as he re-launched it. So, I`m not surprised by him coming out. I figured there was some reason for him maintaining editorial control of that Web site.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: But do you think it`s appropriate?

PARKS: Well, I don`t think it`s really up to me to judge the appropriateness of him, you know, doing a Web site. Everyone has a right to freedom of speech. He has a right to speech. He has a right to his own strategy. And so that`s a decision he and his advisors must make. And that`s a decision I guess they`ve made. VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, that`s a very gracious response. To me it`s like, what? What is happening to criminal cases that defendants are now basically plugging themselves on the web and saying, hey, basically come to me and come to this Web site? I mean, this is like a commercial. This involves a dead young man. That was by the way from the realGeorgeZimmerman.com.

We`re going to play it again in a second. Zimmerman of course, awaiting trial for shooting and killing unarmed teen Trayvon Martin; he`s been out of jail for just a few days.

But now he`s breaking his silence to Fox News. And essentially last night in their exclusive interview he blamed God for what happened. Of course, Trayvon Martin`s parents were outraged by that statement. Watch this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ZIMMERMAN: I feel that it was all God`s plan. And for me to second- guess it or judge it --

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FULTON: I think it`s absolutely ridiculous. God did not have a plan for Trayvon to die and for George Zimmerman to shoot Trayvon for no reason.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That wasn`t Zimmerman`s only attempt at getting on TV. He also met with Barbara Walters for a sit-down interview, but the interview never happened. Today on "The View" Barbara explained the whole thing.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BARBARA WALTERS, CO-HOST, "THE VIEW": I was wearing a T-shirt. That should have been my first clue. And then said he would not do an interview. No matter what we said, but he would if there were one condition. It was a condition that being a member of ABC News I was unable to grant.
(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And what was that condition? According to Zimmerman`s lawyer, Mark O`Mara, George wanted shelter and security for his wife, Shellie, seen there, for a month. What does that mean? Zimmerman wanted ABC to spring for 30 days in a hotel room? Does all of this hurt or help George Zimmerman`s case?

Give me a holler. 1-877-JVM SAYS.

All right. I want to bring in Michelle Suskauer, criminal defense attorney. You`re down there in Florida where all this is going on. First of all, your reaction to this new video on the Internet; correct me if I`m wrong, but is this some kind of new phenomenon that we are seeing here tonight together for the first time. Defendants in high profile cases actually appealing directly to the public with a web interview or a web statement?

SUSKAUER, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Well, normally we don`t especially as a criminal defense lawyer, when you have a pending case, you really don`t want your client to speak. But this is a very, very unusual situation where it was really one-sided information slamming him for a very long time with really without any response. It was really one-sided.

And so this is his opportunity, I think he listened to it, listened to it. And even his counsel is saying, "Listen, don`t speak." He wants his opportunity to have his say because he may not testify at trial. And certainly everything that he says could be used against him. So this is his opportunity to speak and to have his peace, good or bad.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. I want to play this video again. Again, we just got it in. I heard it the way you did, but it`s fascinating to me.

Look at the palm trees in the background. We`re cueing it up because now this is at least the fourth time he`s spoken. Once after he was taken in by police, not officially arrested but taken in. Once when he gave his re-enactment, once to Hannity and now this -- let`s listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ZIMMERMAN: Hello. This is George Zimmerman. First and foremost I want to thank you all for visiting therealGeorgeZimmerman.com. We re- launched this Web site to once again thank you my supporters. My intention was and still is to personally and individually thank you all.

However, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, the masses. This is our Web site. It`s not my Web site. It is our Web site where you can personally communicate with me. And I hope to be your Web site to provide facts.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, to me it`s got to all be about money, about raising funds for his defense. Because I heard that there was a spike, there`s been a spike in donations at key times in this case when he`s spoken out, et cetera.

Bryan Claypool, criminal defense attorney and child advocate, is it just me or is this bizarre? I mean, we have now entered a new dimension in terms of high-profile criminal cases. I personally have never seen something like this.

BRYAN CLAYPOOL, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Jane, I haven`t seen anything like it either, but this is a by-product of Mr. Zimmerman having lied at his bond hearing. If you recall, Judge Lester came down and chastised him greatly and said that he was making a mockery of the court. He was manipulative.

His attorney, Mark O`Meara, came back and said, look, I want to try to recuse this judge because you shouldn`t be attacking my client like that. So what`s happening now is Mr. O`Meara makes a decision, "Hey, I`ve got to get my guy out there. I have to do some PR work. I have to do some damage control here."

And I got to tell you, I think it`s a big mistake because when you have a criminal client defendant, Jane, picture it like a noose, like you have a noose that big. And when you allow your client to start talking the way that Zimmerman`s talking, that noose starts tightening and tightening and tightening. Because when you let a client talk in interviews like this, it`s almost like what`s that movie Tom Hanks was in a few years ago? "Forrest Gump", remember that comment he made about life`s like a box of chocolates? Well, y our clients no matter how much you prepare them to testify, witnesses and clients are like a box of chocolate. You never know what you`re going to get. And what you got here was Mr. Zimmerman saying things --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Ok. I think that`s an interesting analogy. Daryl Parks, I want to give you the last word. Just ten seconds. Do you think this is going to backfire all of this George Zimmerman in court?

PARKS: Without question. This case is about credibility. And all the inconsistencies that came out just in that interview alone was certainly going a good ways towards helping in the conviction of George Zimmerman.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Thank you, sir. Thank you fantastic panel for staying on top of that story. You know you`ll always get the latest on George Zimmerman right here.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 07:15:15 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1209/11/ijvm.01.html
ANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

Woman Tased for Spitting?; George Zimmerman`s Friends Speak Out

Aired September 11, 2012 - 19:00   ET

Plus, George Zimmerman`s best friends speak out, breaking their silence for the first time since Zimmerman shot unarmed teen, Trayvon Martin. These are the same friends who let the former Neighborhood Watch volunteer stay at their home after the shooting. What will they reveal?

On the other side, George Zimmerman`s BFFs speak out.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: George Zimmerman`s defense attorneys want Trayvon Martin`s school records. They plan to use those records in their defense strategy.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Trayvon Martin! Trayvon Martin!

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Trayvon Martin! Trayvon Martin!

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Trayvon Martin! Trayvon Martin!

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, ON TRIAL FOR MURDER: I said, "I don`t have a problem, man."

SYBRINA FULTON, TRAYVON MARTIN`S MOTHER: This is not about a black and white thing. This is about a right and wrong thing.

ZIMMERMAN (via phone): If the bond is 50, pay the 50.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900, $9,900.

MARK O`MARA, ATTORNEY FOR GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: It`s not the grand conspiracy that the state seems to suggest.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, shooter George Zimmerman`s best friends are finally breaking their silence. This is the very couple who gave George Zimmerman and his wife a secret hideaway right after he was accused of shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin while the teen was holding only Skittles and an iced tea.

Listen to George Zimmerman`s best friends` account of what happened the night George Zimmerman is accused of murdering the unarmed teen. Watch this from "Dr. Phil."

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DR. PHIL MCGRAW, TALK SHOW HOST: Do you believe if he hadn`t had that gun and shot Trayvon that George Zimmerman would be dead today?

MARK OSTERMAN, GEORGE ZIMMERMAN`S FRIEND: I do.

SONDRA OSTERMAN, GEORGE ZIMMERMAN`S FRIEND: Absolutely.

MCGRAW: So you think Trayvon would have killed him?

S. OSTERMAN: Absolutely.

M. OSTERMAN: I believe so.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Are you serious? Are you serious?

M. OSTERMAN: If I can have one moment. George -- the injuries that he had to his head could not be sustained for any period of time without either becoming unconscious or dying. He said, "I`m blacking out. I feel I`m going to die." And he told the police that. He said that in a lie detector test, all of which they have. They`ve connected all this together. And from George`s perspective, he felt, "I am going to die."

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: These are the injuries to George Zimmerman that his best friends are talking about, a broken nose, a pair of black eyes, two cuts on the back of his head and a minor back injury. This is a preview of the case Zimmerman`s defense attorney is likely to make, that it doesn`t matter what happened leading up to the altercation, because at the time Zimmerman shot Trayvon, he claimed he feared for his life.

Natalie Jackson, you are one of the attorneys for Trayvon Martin`s family. Thank you so much for joining us tonight. Do you think this "I feared for my life" argument will stand up?

NATALIE JACKSON, ATTORNEY FOR TRAYVON MARTIN`S FAMILY: Well, the fear has to be a reasonable fear, Jane. And that`s what we have to determine here. And that`s what a jury will have to determine, whether or not his fear was reasonable.

The fear -- we know that Trayvon was unarmed. We know that George Zimmerman had a gun. We know that the alleged injuries that George Zimmerman sustained did not require him to go to the emergency room. They required no treatment, no -- no stitches. He didn`t get any X-rays. He didn`t get any sort of tests that we can rely on that there was some injury.

When we look at these pictures, even the pictures of him afterwards, these were the injuries that you get from a fight. You cannot use deadly force in retaliation to a fight, a fistfight.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes, I think this is going to be the crux of this upcoming case.

Now, this best friend of shooter George Zimmerman -- Mark Osterman is his name -- admits that he is the one who helped George Zimmerman choose the very gun that eventually shot Trayvon dead. Listen to Dr. Phil address that issue.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MCGRAW: You helped him pick out the gun...

M. OSTERMAN: Yes, sir.

MCGRAW: ... that he ultimately shot and killed Trayvon Martin with?

M. OSTERMAN: Yes, sir.

MCGRAW: Now, that makes me wonder, if you are now bought into a point where you say, "I`ve got to defend the guy now, because I`m in the chain here." Does that mean that -- that you need to defend him here because if not, you`ve got some ownership in this?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Criminal defense attorney Michelle Suskauer, this is not an objective person. He`s a friend. He also helped George Zimmerman buy the gun. Does that invalidate any claims that he could make?

MICHELLE SUSKAUER, CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY (via phone): Well, what is he going to be able to testify to anyway that`s not complete hearsay?

I want to go back to something that Natalie Jackson just said. And this case may not even get to a jury. She keeps saying, you know, it`s up to a jury, if a jury thinks that this is reasonable. This is going to be a motion to dismiss in front of this new judge now, and she is going to have to make this decision. If she denies it, then it could go in front of a jury.

And it doesn`t matter whether or not they had a fistfight or not. There didn`t even need to be a fight. It does -- there`s nothing in the statute that says there had to be a fight or whether he needed to go to the hospital for his injuries. That`s not the point.

So I think that we`re sort of losing sight of what the law is here and what exactly the defense is going to have to show in terms of using the "Stand Your Ground" defense.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Presumably you`re referring to the "Stand Your Ground" law, yes.

Natalie Jackson, do you want to respond to that?

JACKSON: The law -- the law says that he must have a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm. And it must be a reasonable fear. It can`t be George Zimmerman`s subjective fear. It can`t be someone who`s paranoid that someone looks suspicious and their subjective fear. It has to be a reasonable fear that a reasonable person would have.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And remember, Trayvon Martin had in his hands Skittles and iced tea. More on the other side.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FULTON: My son was not committing any crimes. Our son is your son. I want you guys to stand up for justice and stand up for what`s right. This is not about a black and white thing. This is about a right and wrong thing.

Justice for Trayvon!

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: In a controversial move, Zimmerman`s defense team is now digging into the dead teenager, Trayvon Martin`s, past to find any dirt. His family`s calling it a witch hunt to assassinate his character.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

FULTON: The only comment that I have right now is that they`ve killed my son and now they`re trying to kill his reputation.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right. Want to get my panel`s reaction to Zimmerman`s attorneys subpoenaing a huge list of things including Trayvon`s Facebook and Twitter accounts, school records, test scores, disciplinary records, attendance. They`ve already determined that he`s been suspended. He was suspended, I believe, three times.

Starting with Natalie Jackson, you represent Trayvon Martin`s family. What say you to these subpoenas?

JACKSON: Well, I mean, really, from a legal standard, it`s not relevant. This is character evidence, and it`s not relevant.

I -- you know, I agree with Sybrina. This is just an attempt to demonize the victim in this case. Trayvon is the victim. The only character that is relevant -- George Zimmerman did not know Trayvon Martin when he killed him that night. He knew nothing about his character.

I will tell you, this was a 17-year-old kid that was on his way to college. And he was a normal, average 17-year-old. He wasn`t an angel, but he certainly wasn`t a devil. And his character, George Zimmerman knew nothing about. And it`s not relevant to this case. It`s not even admissible.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes.

JACKSON: The only thing I can think is that once again, it`s just feeding into this propaganda machine.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Jayne Weintraub, will any of this -- you can subpoena but will any -- like the fact that he was suspended at the time, will that get in?

WEINTRAUB: Well, that`s not what he`s going for. What he`s going for is to be able to demonstrate whether or not Trayvon had a propensity to commit violence.

You know, it`s not about the character evidence. From the best friend, it`s not about George Zimmerman being a good guy. It`s about what happened at that moment.

And what the best friend was saying is he testified George Zimmerman told the police that he said he felt he was going to die. He felt he was passing out, and he passed a polygraph to that -- to those words. Now, what`s important is it`s not admissible in front of a jury, but it will be admissible in the "Stand Your Ground," and the judge will be able to give it whatever weight the judge thinks is appropriate. That`s No. 1.

No. 2, as far as the subpoena of the records, it`s not to show that Trayvon was a bad kid and that he was suspended for smoking pot. It`s to show whether or not he got into ten fights that day. It`s to show the propensity for what he was doing. That`s all.

(CROSSTALK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: One second. Let`s give Natalie Jackson the final word here.

JACKSON: I will say that you do not look at one moment in time from one snapshot. This is a totality of circumstances. This is what happened from the time that George Zimmerman got out of his car with the gun to pursue an unarmed teenager.

It has nothing to do with the victim. His records are not relevant. They are not admissible. He had no propensity towards violence. If anyone -- if anyone`s records -- the only records that are relevant to this case are George Zimmerman`s, the perpetrator and the killer of Trayvon Martin.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, ladies, we have to leave it right there. But thank you for a lively debate, and obviously, we stay all over this case.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1210/08/pmt.01.html
PIERS MORGAN TONIGHT

Romney Blasts Obama on the Middle East; Nate Silver on Horserace; Romney's Surge with Women; George Zimmerman's Mother Speaks; Alabama Student Killed

Aired October 8, 2012 - 21:00   ET

Also, a worldwide exclusive. What you haven't heard about the man who shot Trayvon Martin, the first television interview with George Zimmerman's mother. Plus his brother Robert. Why he says there's more to the story.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN, TRAYVON MARTIN'S SHOOTER: He said, you're going to die tomorrow, (EXPLETIVE DELETED). And I just grabbed my firearm and I shot him.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORGAN: This is PIERS MORGAN TONIGHT.
Coming up, she's asked us to keep her in the shadows to protect her identity. The mother of the man who shot Trayvon Martin finally breaks the silence and talked to me exclusively. Gladys Zimmerman joins me next.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he would look like Trayvon and you know, I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and that we're going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORGAN: Reaction to the Trayvon Martin case reached all the way to the White House. Tonight for the first time, George Zimmerman's mother tells me what she knows about her son and what may have happened the night Trayvon Martin was shot.

Gladys Zimmerman joins me now exclusively along with George's brother, Robert, who's been one of my guests before.

Welcome to you both. And Gladys, you've asked us to keep your face in shadows to protect your identity and we respect that. I'm aware that you haven't given any interviews before. Why do you want to talk out now?

GLADYS ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S MOTHER: I feel that it's about time, the time that all this commotion was happening, we were forced to leave our home. We were forced to just disappear and because of the death threats that we were getting, it was very dangerous for us to -- even to think about to come to defend our son.

MORGAN: Tell me, Gladys, when you think back to that night that Trayvon Martin was killed and you first discovered that George had fired the gun that killed him, how did you feel as his mother? What went through your mind in that moment?

G. ZIMMERMAN: At that moment it feel like I couldn't believe what had happened. I felt that -- that the world had turned upside down. To me it was like a nightmare. I just couldn't -- just couldn't believe what had happened. I mean to me it was unbelievable. I was very sad. I was very sad for my son and for the person who had departed. Very, very sad.

MORGAN: I mean, so many lives have been affected and ruined by what's happened here. Obviously George is facing a murder trial now if he's convicted, he may face 25, 30 years in prison. Have you come to grips with that possibility?

G. ZIMMERMAN: I'm sorry? I didn't understand your question?

MORGAN: Have you -- have you come to terms with the possibility that George may go to prison for 25 or 30 years if he's found guilty?

G. ZIMMERMAN: I believe in the judicial system. I believe from the beginning that, you know, he is innocent, and I mean, the media had played a big role against my son. They had portrayed him in a bad, bad picture. But there is justice in America, and I believe in justice.

MORGAN: Do you -- as his mother, do you wish that George had never gone out carrying a gun that evening?

G. ZIMMERMAN: Mr. Morgan, there are so many things that we, you know, can wish as parents, but I will not answer to that question because I don't want, you know, people to elaborate of what, you know, the mother has said.

MORGAN: If you had the chance, Gladys, to talk to Trayvon Martin's parents, what would you say to them?

G. ZIMMERMAN: It was already said by a statement that my son had made public.

MORGAN: But I mean, how do you -- how would you phrase it? What would you say as a mother to another mother who had lost her son?

G. ZIMMERMAN: That I'm deeply sorry for what had happened. It is a tremendous tragedy for both families. I'm very sorry for the loss of their son.

MORGAN: Let me just ask Robert quickly. Robert, you obviously as a family, it's been hellish for you as well and to say otherwise is to ignore the reality of your situation. You weren't there on the night, nor was your mother. How is George doing now, how is he coping with incarceration, how is he coping with the impending trial?

ROBERT ZIMMERMAN, JR., GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S BROTHER: Well, he's not incarcerated right now. He's released. The order requires that he stay in Seminole County so as you can imagine that's a little bit restrictive.

MORGAN: But isn't it a form of incarceration? I mean how free is he to go about?

R. ZIMMERMAN: That's right, that's exactly right, it is restrictive. He's free in one sense that he can meet with his attorneys. It's important that he participates in his defense and that he contributes any way that he can, but in a word, George would be recovering. He was diagnosed with PTSD. I told you that in March. Among other things that I told you, such as his injuries that appeared to you to not exist. Based on that videotape that ABC released, based on a lot of things people were releasing and saying that have now proven not to be true.

So he's recovering from the world turning against him, the media barrage that convicted him ahead of time, and he hasn't been convicted of any crime. And I think that's a very hard reality to face every day for him.
MORGAN: Let's take a short break. We're going to come back and talk more to you, Robert, and to your mother, Gladys. I want to talk really about what life is like for you as the family of one of the most notorious figures in America right now. The death threats you've had and so on and how you're dealing with it.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ZIMMERMAN: Hello. This is George Zimmerman. First and foremost, I want to thank you all for visiting the real GeorgeZimmerman.com. We re-launched this Web site to once again thank you, my supporters. My intention was and still is to personally and individually thank you all. However, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, the masses.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORGAN: George Zimmerman thanking his supporters. Back with me now is his mother, Gladys, who's asked us to keep her face in shadow to protect her identity, and here with me in the studio, George Zimmerman's brother, Robert.

Welcome both to you again. Gladys, let me ask you a difficult question. If the situation had been reversed, if it had been George who was going back to visit a family relative, having gone to a store who was unarmed, and he got into an altercation with somebody, Trayvon Martin, for argument's sake, and Trayvon Martin had produced a gun and shot your son dead, do you think you would feel differently about what happened?

G. ZIMMERMAN: Mr. Morgan, I don't want to touch anything that has to do directly with the case. It's very important for me as a mother not to touch for the sanctity of the case, the prosecution and the defense, that I would rather not talk about anything that will affect the case. I rather would like to talk about my son.

MORGAN: Yes, tell me this --

(CROSSTALK)

G. ZIMMERMAN: And a human person that is on.

MORGAN: I understand, and I respect, I respect that you can't talk about the case. So let me ask you about George. What is the most annoying misconception that you keep having to hear or read about your son? Because some people see him as this brutal killer, a racist, somebody who -- you know, abused his ex-girlfriend and so on. A lot of this must be very hurtful to you as his mother. What are the things that have really upset you?

G. ZIMMERMAN: The most? That he was called racist. The most. That is something that , you know, people who don't know George and people who knew George they didn't bother to come up front and said, no, he's not racist.

Let me mention one case, the case of Mr. Sherman Weir. He -- he was a homeless African-American man who was beaten and hit left unconscious on the pavement by a young man. Now this Mr. Weir because he was homeless or because he was African-American, nobody defended him except my son. My son took the time to elaborate and to go and make flyers and go to churches, African-American churches, leave flyers on every car, stay there for every church session and pass flyers and get the community together to go to a council meeting back in 2011.

MORGAN: I mean, we have heard -- we have heard -- Gladys, we have heard stories like this about George. And certainly many members of his family and friends have rushed to say, he's not a racist. It doesn't mean --

G. ZIMMERMAN: Yes.

MORGAN: It doesn't mean necessarily he didn't in some way perhaps subliminally racially profile Trayvon Martin. He's sort of a young black boy in an area where there had been burglaries, and he didn't think the worst. It may have been that that was the case. We may never know the case to that.

Tell me this on a wider point. Do you think that regardless of what happens in this case, would you like to see tougher gun control laws in America?

G. ZIMMERMAN: It -- excuse me. It is hard to tell. I'm not into a study for that law, but I have to tell you that there's more people being killed -- excuse me. There's more people being killed by guns where the state had, you know, have a regulation for gun control. That's, you know, what I have learned. Right now, I'm not in the position to say, you know, oh, yes, let's do this, let's do that with gun control. I'm sorry, my head is some place else.

MORGAN: OK. Gladys, I understand, we have to leave it there. Thank you very much for joining me. I do appreciate it's taken a lot of courage on your part to do this and that you're concerned about your security and of your family. So I appreciate you joining me now and you, too, Robert, good to see you again.

R. ZIMMERMAN: Thanks for having me.

MORGAN: Coming up next, "Only in America."

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:01 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1212/07/ijvm.01.html

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Royal Prank Blamed for Nurse`s Death; George Zimmerman Sues NBC Over Editing of 911 Tapes
Aired December 7, 2012 - 19:00   ET
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now portions of that 911 call are the reasons Zimmerman and his attorney are suing NBC Universal alleging NBC edited together parts of the 911 to create a false impression that Zimmerman had a racist motive to kill Trayvon. Those are Zimmerman`s attorney`s words, not mine.

Straight out to "In Session" correspondent Jean Casarez in Orlando. Let`s talk about this NBC lawsuit. What is at the heart of it?

JEAN CASAREZ, CORRESPONDENT TRUTV`S "IN SESSION": You know, the heart, it`s a defamation case with intentional infliction of emotional distress, they say.

But the heart of it is not only the editing of the 911 call, they claim, but continual editing, re-editing, March 19, 20, 22 and 27, a rebroadcast. They say that the 911 tape was edited and re-edited during those broadcasts. They also say that the reporters did the lead-ins, what they said as they went to that 911 call, reporting to say that George Zimmerman was a racist.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. The bottom line is that they allege that NBC intentionally edited out the portion where the 911 operator says, "Is he black, white or Hispanic?" And then George Zimmerman responds, "He looks black," and simply used "he looks black" and butted it to some other unflattering comment. Is that correct, Jean?

CASAREZ: Yes, yes. They took out -- the second time the complaint alleges, they took out 46 seconds, so that what you`re left with is "There`s somebody really suspicious here at my complex. He`s black."

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, what is NBC saying? What`s NBC saying?

CASAREZ: NBC has not responded to the suit. At the time, they apologized so they, in fact, seemed to admit what they had done. They fired a number of employees. They said it was a mistake.

And Mark O`Mara told me it`s no mistake when you edit and re-edit and continue to do it and continue to broadcast it, especially when you have a network that has so many levels of checks, including a legal department.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: On the other side, your interview with Mark O`Mara, the attorney for George Zimmerman.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MARK O`MARA, ATTORNEY FOR GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: They cut a lot of corners to try and beat the rest of the media to it. And maybe, had they been right, they would have gotten away with it, but they were wrong. And what their -- they turned out to do was to, I think, turn the public against George Zimmerman in a way that was completely outlandishly inappropriate.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That was George Zimmerman`s attorney, and they filed a lawsuit against NBC Universal, claiming the network helped make George Zimmerman one of the most hated man in all of America by portraying him as a racist.

Listen to what the dispatcher asked George Zimmerman when he called 911 shortly before he shot Trayvon Martin dead.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ZIMMERMAN: This guy looks like he`s up to no good or he`s on drugs or something. It`s raining and he`s just walking around, looking about.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: OK. Is this guy white, black or Hispanic.

ZIMMERMAN: He looks black.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Did you see what he was wearing?

ZIMMERMAN: Yes. A dark hoodie, like a gray hoodie and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He`s -- he`s just staring.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Again, at least two NBC employees were fired as a result of re-editing that 911 call.

NBC`s response to Zimmerman`s lawsuit is there was no intent to portray Mr. Zimmerman unfairly and that NBC plans to vigorously defend their position in court.

Stacey Honowitz, Florida prosecutor, do you think George Zimmerman has a case here?

STACEY HONOWITZ, FLORIDA PROSECUTOR: Well, I think it`s very interesting the fact that they knowingly put out a false, edited tape. That`s the sum and substance of defamation.

I think the area might be -- the issues might lie in did the tape itself cause everyone to turn against him or would they have hated him anyway, even hearing that he shot an unarmed man? So they`re going to have to prove that it was the tape in and of itself and the editing of the tape that caused the damages. That might be the hard part.

But you know what? On its space right now, if you have a false statement and the editing took place and it goes on and on and on, they might have a leg to stand on.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:05 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1306/13/ddhln.01.html
DR. DREW
Trust Fund Kid on Trial; What`s At Stake In Trial?
Aired June 13, 2013 - 21:00   ET

Up next, Jodi`s jury got to go home at night. The Zimmerman jury will not be so lucky. And again, a reminder, the Monday program, we have a primetime exclusive, the foreman of the Jodi Arias jury will be my guest. He, as he has said, was one of the four jurors who voted against the death penalty.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: Todd, you told our producers that you worried about your son. Why is that?

TODD BRIDGES, COMMENTATOR: Well, my son`s a Black male and he walks around and it`s very frightening, because they always assume -- like when we -- when something -- one black person does something, they lump us all in together, that we`ve all done it.

And I`ve noticed it when I walk in stores before, people follow me around the stores thinking I`m going to steal or I`m going to do something. And to me, it`s atrocious in this country and I think that we all should be treated equally.

PINSKY: All right.

BRIDGES: I just want to be treated like everybody else. And I really believe that no matter who was in those clothes, no matter who was walking looking like that, because I`ve got just as many White friends who get pulled over who dressed like Black guys or dress like gang members and get pulled over as anybody.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PINSKY: Back with my co-host, Jenny Hutt. It`s day four of George Zimmerman`s second-degree murder trial. Lawyers have been interviewing hundreds of potential jurors. None have been seated so far, Jenny. Back with us is Mark Eiglarsh and Danine Manette, and joining the panel Crystal Wright of ConservativeBlackChick.com, Michaek Skolnik, editor-in-chief of GlobalGrind.com. He`s on the board of the Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Danine, I know you had a hugecrush on Todd Bridges. I didn`t share that with him last night, but I understand --

(LAUGHTER)

PINSKY: It was a few years ago, mind you. But I understand you wanted to react to what he said last night?

DANINE MANETTE, CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR: Yes. In seventh grade, my locker was covered with Todd Bridges pictures.

(LAUGHTER)

PINSKY: There you go.

MANETTE: So, with that being said --

EIGLARSH: Mine, too.

(LAUGHTER)

PINSKY: Todd, man, that entire statement about I have friends who dress black, what does it mean to dress Black? I don`t understand what he meant by that. I mean, he`s sitting up here talking about gross generalizations and racial profiling, but I`m assuming that he means that he has friends that dress like thugs so he`s interchanging the words Black and thugs, which is a problem to me for two reasons.

Number one, Trayvon was not dressed like a thug. He was dressed like a young man who was covering his head to stay out of the rain that night. And number two, to use a negative connotation of equating Black and thug together, it makes what he`s saying no different than what he`s complaining about. He`s complaining about these gross generalizations and he just made one.

PINSKY: Got it. Crystal, your reaction?

CRYSTAL WRIGHT, CONSERVATIVEBLACKCHICK.COM: Bingo, bingo, bingo. I mean, that`s what it is. I think it`s really funny whenever we talk about Black people, all Black people dress alike. We all pray alike. We all eat alike. And apparently, you know, we all live in the same neighborhood. I never got the Black memo.

(LAUGHTER)

WRIGHT: You know, I agree with a lot of what was Todd is saying. We can`t minimize that Black males in this country are profiled and stigmatized. But at the same time, as you just mentioned, you know, Todd is saying that he doesn`t want to be put so much in a Black box, so to speak.

So, he doesn`t want to be lumped together with all the bad Blacks in many ways. So, I just think we need to end the stereotypes. I mean, come on. Black people --

PINSKY: That would be wonderful. That is a great goal. Michael, I`m going to have you comment on the other side after we get back from the break. So, just (ph) after the break. More of this conversation after this.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

PINSKY: Welcome back. My co-host, Jenny Hutt, still with me as well as my panel. Michael, here you go, weigh in.

MICHAEL SKOLNIK, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF GLOBALGRIND.COM: Yes. I got a problem with what Crystal just said, because on one hand, you say all Black men look alike, that`s a problem. But then, you defend George Zimmerman.

That`s exactly what George Zimmerman did. Black teenagers were allegedly robbing some houses in the neighborhood, and then, George sees Trayvon, thinks he`s one of those kids, and profiles him because he`s Black and chases him and then executes him and puts a bullet in his chest after stalking him.

PINSKY: Crystal, you want to respond?

SKOLNIK: Isn`t that exactly what Zimmerman did?

WRIGHT: Michael, Michael, you know, wait a minute, Michael. I`m really sick of you and your stereotypes and your blanket statements about what you think. That`s the very problem why George Zimmerman is not going to get a fair trial because you`ve already convicted him in a court of public opinion. And don`t tell me about --

SKOLNIK: You just said that all Black males don`t look alike.

WRIGHT: Right. Blacks should be individuals. Thank you very much. And this case --

SKOLNIK: And Trayvon Martin should be an individual.

WRIGHT: But not race --

SKOLNIK: Trayvon Martin had nothing to do, had nothing to do with the kids who were robbing houses, nothing.

WRIGHT: This reminds me of O.J. Simpson all over again. Remember when O.J. was accused of murdering Nicole and Nicole Simpson`s boyfriend? Everybody said, no matter what, Black Americans, the majority of Black Americans were like, O.J. has to get off. He has to get off because he`s going to --

SKOLNIK: I`m not black, Crystal, I`m White, and I think George Zimmerman is guilty.

PINSKY: Hold on, guys. We got to play fair. Mark, I want to go to you. Can he get a fair trial?

EIGLARSH: Well, the answer is yes. If fair trial is simply defined by finding six people who can focus exclusively on the evidence and the law that`s given to the judge and make a decision based on that. And they did it in the Arias case. I think they can do it here.

PINSKY: I`ve got a twitter. It comes from one Crystal Wright. Let`s put it up there. Come on. Get up on the screen. "No. Zimmerman won`t have a fair trial." That`s Crystal.

WRIGHT: Yes, I really -- I don`t think he will. i think it`s going to be really hard because you have the president of the United States come out and say -- interject himself, if I had a son, President Obama said he would look like Trayvon. That, to me, is saying that he`s biased toward Zimmerman being a killer.

MANETTE: Jurors are a lot smarter than you give them credit for being, though.

PINSKY: I hope so. I hope so, Danine.

MANETTE: They`re a lot smarter.

(CROSSTALK)

MANETTE: They don`t do what we say.

PINSKY: Arias trial, I think, taught me that. But let`s -- guys, you all come back next week. We will continue with this conversation and dialogue. Hang in there. "Last Call" is next.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

HUTT: Drew, drew, this has been a crazy show. I mean, this is great.

PINSKY: It`s been interesting. And Jenny, you`ve done a great job this week. I appreciate you being here. Reminder, the daytime Emmy Awards are on this Sunday live on HLN at 8:00 eastern time. We`ll all be there. And again, well done, Jenny, this week. Thanks to all for watching. Thanks to all my guests this week. And, "HLN After Dark" will begin immediately following us, in fact, right now.

END

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.