April 20, 2024, 04:48:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sierra Lamar #2 4/21/12 -  (Read 394179 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2012, 10:22:01 PM »

Antolin Garcia-Torres in court for Sierra LaMar's disappearance (video)

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/322109/28/Suspect-in-California-girls-disappearance-in-court
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »

Sierra LaMar murder suspect in court, no plea entered
Edit to include date of article.  MB  May 31, 2012

::snipping2::

Prosecutors have charged Garcia-Torres with one count of murder in the disappearance of 15-year-old Sierra. Morgan Hill police say they also have solid evidence Garcia-Torres is responsible for the assault of a woman in 2009.

"That case has been completed and sent to the district attorney for review and possible prosecution," said Morgan Hill Police Sgt. Troy Hoefling.

Legal experts say that possible assault charge could play a key role in how the case against Garcia-Torres moves forward.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=8683421#&cmp=twi-kgo-article-8683421
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:27:21 AM by MuffyBee » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #382 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMars-Family-Friends-Maintain-Hope-156603455.html
Sierra LaMar's Family, Friends Maintain Hope
Another search for Sierra LaMar will start at 8 a.m. Saturday morning at the Sierra LaMar Search Center in Morgan Hill.

By George Kiriyama
June 1, 2012

The 15-year-old Morgan Hill teen vanished on March 16. Antolin Garcia Torres was arrested last week and charged this week with LaMar's murder and kidnapping.

Hundreds attended a candlelight vigil and rally at Washington High School in Fremont on Friday night.

LaMar went to Washington High before moving to Morgan Hill with her mother last year.

The LaMar family has made it a goal to attend as many of these rallies as they can.

They say it's important to boost the spirits for everyone involved.

"Keep a presence around people who are helping us," said Steve Lamar, Sierra's father. "That motivates them and helps them. Helps inspire them if we stay upbeat and visible."

Another search for Sierra LaMar will start at 8 a.m. Saturday morning at the Sierra LaMar Search Center in Morgan Hill.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/friends-family-hold-out-hope-missing-teen-fremont-/nPKCp/

Posted: 6:07 p.m. Friday, June 1, 2012

Friends, family hold out hope for missing teen with Fremont rally

Sierra's father, Steve LaMar, told KTVU he met with sheriff's investigators Friday, who interviewed him again about his daughter.

"(They asked about) Sierra's activity and social media, texting, that kind of thing," LaMar said.

Steve LaMar said it was too painful for him to attend Thursday's hearing where 21-year-old Antolin Garcia-Torres, the man suspected of abducting and killing Sierra LaMar, appeared in court. Steve LaMar said he's seen Garcia-Torres on television, and he said many things come to mind.

"Anger, questions, 'Why?' All those kinds of things," LaMar said.

No body or murder weapon has been found.

"We don't have any indication that she's not alive, so as long as I have that I'm continuing," Steve LaMar said.

"We're not giving up,” said Sierra’s sister Danielle LaMar. “We still need the support. We haven't found Sierra yet, so we're just trying to encourage people to keep coming out and not give up.”

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #384 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981370350

Sierra LaMar Murder Suspect Is Playing Games with Justice System

June 01, 2012 03:55 PM EDT

Missing Morgan Hill teenager Sierra LaMar is still missing, presumed dead by investigators. Meanwhile the only suspect in her disappearance and death appears to be playing games with the legal system. Antolin Garcia-Torres appeared in court yesterday for the second time, but he again refused to enter a plea. That's not surprising, as his tactic is as transparent as his demeanor. He's going to play the complete silence defense until Sierra's body is found or until investigators release any other evidence they have found.

Is this going to be a capital murder case? Without a body it will be extremely difficult to convict Antolin Garcia-Torres with hopes of doling out a death sentence. However, it won't be impossible. There are certainly past cases of murder convictions being successful without the discovery of a body, or a weapon. However, there are also failures—the Casey Anthony trial being among the most angering in recent years.

That is why it is absolutely important that the search for 15-year-old Sierra LaMar continues. Antolin Garcia-Torres is refusing to speak in court—which is not surprising considering the allegations against him—and now his next court date isn't until July 12, 2012.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »

http://losgatos.patch.com/articles/criminologist-sierra-lamar-murder-suspect-could-walk-free?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Criminologist: Sierra LaMar Murder Suspect Could Walk Free

Criminologist Steve Clark said Antolin Garcia-Torres could escape jail time if he's found not guilty on one count of murder because there is not a separate count for kidnapping.

By Corinne Speckert and Sheila Sanchez Email the authors June 1, 2012

Garcia-Torres is believed to be responsible for the kidnapping and presumed murder of Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar, but is only being charged with one count of murder. Kidnapping has been added to the charge as a "special circumstance"—a decision that Clark says could backfire on the prosecution and send the suspect home free.

The reason Garcia-Torres could escape jail time is simply because the jury doesn’t have a fall-back position. If the jury doesn’t find Garcia-Torres guilty on the one count of murder, then its members don’t “get to the kidnapping” part, Clark said.

“Because there’s only one count, which is murder, they’ve alleged the kidnapping as a special circumstance, but it’s not an independent count at this point, so if they don’t believe he killed her but they believe he kidnapped her, then he would be found not guilty [of murder] and I don’t believe they can retry him again,” Clark said.

In order for Garcia Torres to remain behind bars despite the possibility of a jury reaching a non-guilty verdict, the prosecution would have to file a kidnapping charge, which is something they may not do because “they’ve gone all-in with murder in this case,” Clark said.

“Now they’ve made a strategy decision on that, and I think the reason they did that is they believe they have a strong case for murder and they don’t want the fallback of only kidnapping,” he said.

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #386 on: June 02, 2012, 01:50:19 PM »

http://losgatos.patch.com/articles/criminologist-sierra-lamar-murder-suspect-could-walk-free?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Criminologist: Sierra LaMar Murder Suspect Could Walk Free

Criminologist Steve Clark said Antolin Garcia-Torres could escape jail time if he's found not guilty on one count of murder because there is not a separate count for kidnapping.

By Corinne Speckert and Sheila Sanchez Email the authors June 1, 2012

Garcia-Torres is believed to be responsible for the kidnapping and presumed murder of Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar, but is only being charged with one count of murder. Kidnapping has been added to the charge as a "special circumstance"—a decision that Clark says could backfire on the prosecution and send the suspect home free.

The reason Garcia-Torres could escape jail time is simply because the jury doesn’t have a fall-back position. If the jury doesn’t find Garcia-Torres guilty on the one count of murder, then its members don’t “get to the kidnapping” part, Clark said.

“Because there’s only one count, which is murder, they’ve alleged the kidnapping as a special circumstance, but it’s not an independent count at this point, so if they don’t believe he killed her but they believe he kidnapped her, then he would be found not guilty [of murder] and I don’t believe they can retry him again,” Clark said.

In order for Garcia Torres to remain behind bars despite the possibility of a jury reaching a non-guilty verdict, the prosecution would have to file a kidnapping charge, which is something they may not do because “they’ve gone all-in with murder in this case,” Clark said.

“Now they’ve made a strategy decision on that, and I think the reason they did that is they believe they have a strong case for murder and they don’t want the fallback of only kidnapping,” he said.

Yeah...but if they found him not guilty of murder then wouldn't they also find him not guilty of kidnapping?  If they found him not guilty of murder then they are saying there isn't enough proof to say he is who kidnapped her, right.  If they find him guilty of murder then they are saying he kidnapped her. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/volunteers-search-evidence-linked-sierra-lamar-dis/nPK6C/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted: 9:40 p.m. Saturday, June 2, 2012

Volunteers search for evidence linked to Sierra LaMar disappearance

MORGAN HILL, Calif. — Volunteers fanned out in the South Bay Saturday, searching for missing teenager Sierra LaMar.

This was the 24th search since the 15-year-old disappeared from her Morgan Hill home March 16 while walking to school.

The hills were lush and green when LaMar first disappeared, but months later volunteers combed dry brush, batted the heat, hiked steep terrain and prepared for the threat of rattlesnakes to help bring LaMar home.

Tina Engenthron, a volunteer, said she has faith LaMar will be found alive.

Volunteers searched for evidence and said they felt conflicted about what they might find.

It's this willingness of strangers to help that keeps Sierra's father Steve LaMar going.

"The worst thing is the not knowing," he said. "The worst thing is the not knowing and it's still there."

Every step volunteers make in the search for Sierra gives her family hope of finding her.

Steve LaMar had a message for his missing daughter: "We're going to find you soon and bring you back home."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #388 on: June 03, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=8686808&rss=rss-kgo-article-8686808

Sierra LaMar volunteers not giving up hope

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Volunteers conducted a day-long search for missing Morgan Hill teenager Sierra LaMar Saturday.

It's been 11 weeks since LaMar disappeared while heading to school.

Still, her family and friends have not lost hope of finding her alive. They continue to raise money to conduct weekly searches.

The Santa Clara County dive teams said they will wrap up an ongoing search of Uvas Reservior on Tuesday.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »

I cannot fathom how people do it---their 'Faith', I guess.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »

Sierra LaMar case: Last scheduled water search set for today
06/04/2012 10:12:36 AM PDT

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office will resume searching for the body of Sierra LaMar this morning by sending divers into the water of the Uvas Reservoir.

The effort is a completion of the search at Uvas. Dive teams searches those waters in mid-May, according to the sheriff's office. Teams will search in a handful of areas based off "side scan sonar," a technology that detects objects underwater and has been used throughout the search to help scour waterways in the Morgan Hill area.

http://**/fremont/ci_20778451/sierra-lamar-case-last-scheduled-water-search-set
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

Last Water Search for Sierra LaMar Today
Santa Clara County Sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza said that the last formal search will occur in the waters of the Uvas Reservoir

Monday, Jun 4, 2012  |

Divers were out for the last day Monday searching for the body of Sierra LaMar, a 15-year-old Morgan Hill girl who was last seen March 16 and whose body has not yet been found.

Santa Clara County Sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza said that  the last formal search will occur in the waters of the Uvas Reservoir. Any future water searches will be based on tips and leads, Cardoza said.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Last-Water-Search-for-Sierra-LaMar-Today-157002605.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »

Divers check out reservoir sonar scan hits in search for Sierra LaMar
Monday, June 4, 2012

MORGAN HILL, Calif. —
Divers and search teams returned to a South Bay reservoir Monday, hoping to identify underwater objects seen on sonar scans in their search for the body of kidnapping victim Sierra LaMar.

Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Brett Moore said there were some sonar images from last week that needed to be identified in the waters of Uvas Reservoir.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/divers-check-out-reservoir-sonar-scan-hits-search-/nPLbN/
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #393 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »

http://**/breaking-news/ci_20797997/police-woman-found-dead-pleasanton-trash-can-was

Police: Woman found dead in Pleasanton trash can was in her 20s to 40s, possibly Asian or Hispanic
By Rick Hurd, Contra Costa Timesmercurynews.com
Posted:   06/06/2012 03:08:08 PM PDT
June 6, 2012 10:9 PM GMTUpdated:   06/06/2012 03:08:09 PM PDT

A woman whose body was found in a trash can in a plush Pleasanton neighborhood last month appears to have been between her mid-20s and 40s, authorities said Wednesday.

A forensic anthropologist for the Alameda County Coroner said the woman also appears to have been either Asian or Hispanic, according to a news release from Pleasanton police. The woman was found on the 11000 block of Dublin Canyon Road about 11:30 a.m. on May 24, inside a trash can along the side of the road.

It's also possible the woman was Caucasian with Asian traits or Native American, police said.

Pleasanton police have called a 4 p.m. news conference to update their progress on the investigation.

A sketch artist working with the Alameda County Coroner has rendered a drawing of the woman's face, police said, though the sketch wasn't immediately released. The coroner's ruling on age eliminates the possibility the woman was missing Morgan Hill teenager Sierra LaMar.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #394 on: June 06, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »

Wish we could water board this creep till he tells where she is 

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #395 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »

Wish we could water board this creep till he tells where she is 

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #396 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57448083-504083/sierra-lamar-update-divers-complete-last-planned-water-search-for-body-of-missing-calif-teen/

June 6, 2012 10:40 AM
Sierra LaMar Update: Divers complete last planned water search for body of missing Calif. teen

(CBS/KPIX) MORGAN HILL - On Monday, Santa Clara County authorities conducted their final scheduled water search for missing California teen Sierra LaMar.

CBS San Francisco reports that the search of the Uvas Reservoir would be the last of it's kind. Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Jose Cardoza said future water searches will be based on tips.

"To date, the dive team has searched over half a dozen reservoirs; Uvas, Chesborough, Coyote, Calero, Almaden, Anderson, and Guadalupe. [They've] been searched more than once and there's been over 40 small ponds and lakes in that search as well," Cardoza reportedly said.
Garcia-Torres is charged with murder and kidnapping in the teen's disappearance. He is reportedly scheduled to be back in court July 10.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #397 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:23 AM »

Just an FYI

Sketches released in Pleasanton trash can body plus jewelry
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Police-Discuss-Pleasanton-Trash-Can-Body-157621785.html
Edit to add article date.  MB  June 12, 2012
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:42:51 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMar-Suspect-157859145.html

Sierra LaMar Suspect Lawyer Steps Down
Ken Mandel will no longer be representing Antolin Garcia-Torres, who has not yet entered a plea in answering to charges that he took Sierra on March 16.
By Damian Trujillo and Lisa Fernandez
Thursday, Jun 7, 2012  |  Updated 10:29 AM PDT

The Santa Clara County public defender first assigned to represent the Morgan Hill man charged with kidnapping and killing 15-year-old Sierra LaMar is no longer on the case because of a conflict of interest, NBC Bay Area has learned.
Garcia-Torres' case has now been referred to the alternate public defender's office, which is similar to a public defender and is a routine alternative when the public defender can no longer represent someone.

A source said that Mandel's conflict of interest arose because his office is representing Garcia-Torres' father, who is in Santa Clara County Jail on allegations he sexually abused a relative.

Garcia-Torres' is now set to enter a plea on July 31 with his new lawyer.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #399 on: June 07, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »

A sketch of suspect at link.  In my opinion, it looks like Antolin.

http://gilroy.patch.com/articles/police-identify-suspect-in-july-and-aug-attempted-kidnappings

Gilroy Child 'Annoyance' Cases Raising Possible Link to LaMar Murder
A suspect who police say attempted to lure four children into his vehicle on July 26 and August 3 has been identified. But Gilroy police won't say whether the suspect is Antolin Garcia-Torres, accused in the Sierra LaMar murder-kidnapping.
By Corinne Speckert
Email the author
5:00 am

Gilroy police have identified a suspect they believe was involved in four child annoyance incidents between July 26 and August 3 in Gilroy, and are preparing two investigations for district attorney’s office review.

The cases involved the pestering or annoying of four children — three girls and one boy — between 9 and 15 years old. Gilroy police previously referred to the cases as attempted kidnappings, but are now calling them "annoyances" under California Penal Code 647.6, according to Gilroy Police Sgt. Chad Gallacinao.

A reader emailed Patch asking about any possible link between the Gilroy incidents and Antolin Garcia-Torres, who authorities believe is responsible for the kidnapping and presumed murder of 15-year-old Sierra LaMar.

Patch followed up with Gallacinao who stated in an email that police were “reviewing investigations to determine if (Garcia-Torres) was involved."

Patch also learned that police had identified a suspect in connection with the child annoyance cases, but Gallacinao could not legally comment on whether Garcia-Torres is the identified suspect.

“I am not releasing any information regarding Mr. Torres," Gallacinao said. "It’s not to say that in the future I won’t release information, but at this time I’m unable to."
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.