March 28, 2024, 10:11:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sierra Lamar #2 4/21/12 -  (Read 391031 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #520 on: October 04, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/crime_fire_courts/sierra-murder-suspect-s-plea-hearing-delayed-again/article_1dc198e8-2c89-11e3-b804-001a4bcf6878.html

Sierra murder suspect’s plea hearing delayed again
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 5:08 pm |  Updated: 5:15 pm, Thu Oct 3, 2013

The plea hearing for Antolin Garcia Torres was delayed again Thursday, as lawyers for the state and the murder suspect continue to disagree on whether or not all the evidence collected in the investigation so far has been shared.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #521 on: October 05, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »

Very frustrating, I can only imagine how her family feels.

And they still haven't found Sierra...   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #522 on: October 05, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »

http://findsierralamar.com/get-to-know-sierra-lamar

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #523 on: October 05, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »

It is frustrating and must be very painful for the family.  But the searches continue... I hope the LE has enough evidence to convict him.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #524 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »

A transcript of the video is at the link

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/hollister-gilroy/sierra-lamar-murder-victim-or-missing-person/-/5738758/22268030/-/122wrfuz/-/index.html

Sierra LaMar: Murder victim or missing person?
UPDATED 6:37 PM PDT Oct 03, 2013

TORRES LIKELY NOT TO ENTER A PLEA UNTIL HIS DEFENSE TEAM GETS ALL THE EVIDENCE FROM PROSECUTORS.. AND THEY SAY THEY HAVEN'T.. AND IN COURT TODAY.. THEY SAID SIERRA LAMAR COULD BE A MISSING PERSON.. NOT A MURDER VICTIM  some legal wrangling thursday.. between the defense and prosecution in the antolin garcia torres murder case gave us some insight into a possible defense

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #525 on: October 23, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »

It is frustrating and must be very painful for the family.  But the searches continue... I hope the LE has enough evidence to convict him.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/15943289-breaking-why-sierra-lamar-may-never-be-found

Breaking: Why Sierra LaMar may never be found
Morgan Hill : CA : USA | Nov 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM PST

The search for Sierra LaMar may never end as the only suspect in her case remains silent -- refusing to even enter a plea with each court date that passes. There have been no investigative updates in her case in several, several months. However, a tipster who wishes to remain anonymous has shared some disturbing info that makes it hard to believe that this missing teen will ever be found -- not in one piece, at least.

Rumor has it: Antolin Garcia Torres borrowed a wood chipper from a friend of his the night after he allegedly kidnapped the 15-year-old Morgan Hill, Calif. teenager. The anonymous source said the following:

"I have been hearing from some co-workers that AGT borrowed a wood chipper from a friend of his who was at work at Calderon Tires in Morgan Hill."

The person also made a downright stomach-turning bit of info that is hard to read without feeling intense sadness and anger. However, it's not known if this is 100% true. The source said:

"It was also said that they found urine and brain matter of Sierra's in his car."

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #527 on: November 13, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »

If there is any truth to the information...   

His next court date is November 15.  I think that he is waiting to receive all the evidence before he enters a plea, which he hasn't done so far.  I wonder if the prosecutor is prepared to give more evidence?  Guess we'll know on the 15th.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #528 on: November 13, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »

If there is any truth to the information...   

His next court date is November 15.  I think that he is waiting to receive all the evidence before he enters a plea, which he hasn't done so far.  I wonder if the prosecutor is prepared to give more evidence?  Guess we'll know on the 15th.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #529 on: November 15, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/articles_from_morgan_hill/garcia-torres-plea-hearing-continued-to-january/article_b7e06058-dffe-5582-826c-d51ae5f86775.html

Garcia Torres plea hearing continued to January
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Attorneys involved in the case of the man accused of murdering Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar continued to verbally spar over the sluggish evidence disclosure process at a hearing Friday, but the suspect again declined to enter a plea.

Antolin Garcia Torres, 22 of Morgan Hill, appeared at the hearing at the Hall of Justice in San Jose. He was handcuffed and wearing County Jail inmate scrubs - a contrast to recent previous hearings where he wore a brown suit and tie.

Garcia Torres is accused of kidnapping and murdering Sierra, who disappeared at the age 15 from her mother’s north Morgan Hill home March 16, 2012. Her remains have not been found, and investigators have not revealed any evidence indicating her whereabouts since finding her cell phone and a bag containing some of her clothes in the early days of the investigation.

Previous recent hearings have centered around the unfinished process requiring investigators to share case files and evidence with the defendant. Authorities have said there are more than 10,000 pages’ worth of evidence in the kidnapping and murder case.

Garcia Torres’ attorney Friday told Superior Court Judge Sharon Chatman that a spreadsheet listing items of evidence, provided by prosecutors and requested at Garcia Torres’ last hearing in October, was “inadequate.” The list only indicated evidence provided by the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office so far, while Garcia Torres’ attorney Al Lopez was under the impression the spreadsheet would include a list of items that are “going to come our way.”

Santa Clara County Deputy DA David Boyd was consequently perturbed that the defense waited until Thursday’s hearing to let him know their view on the completeness of the list of evidence.

“It’s frustrating to hear these things for the first time,” said Boyd, who added that he did not indicate he would provide a more complete spreadsheet at the last hearing, as Lopez suggested.

Chatman asked the prosecutor and defense attorneys to “informally” communicate their requests and complaints about the discovery or evidence sharing process to each other before court proceedings in order to speed up the process.

The judge granted Garcia Torres’ request to schedule the next hearing for Jan. 9, 2014, for a status update

Boyd, noting it has been 17 months since Garcia Torres’ first court appearance following his arrest in May 2012, wanted the defendant to indicate at the next hearing when Garcia Torres will be ready for a “probable cause hearing.”

Chatman asked Owens and Lopez to make such an indication at the Jan. 9 hearing.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #530 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »

http://**/ci_20684128/

Sierra LaMar's DNA in suspect's car led to arrest

By Julia Prodis Sulek, Robert Salonga and Mark Gomez

Mercury News
Posted:   05/22/2012 04:48:17 PM PDT | Updated:   about a year ago

"It's not him," Lucero Garcia told this newspaper Tuesday. He lives with his mother, wife and daughter in a cramped trailer in the Maple Leaf RV Park on Monterey and Watsonville roads -- about seven miles south of Sierra's home. He has worked lately doing odd jobs for friends, including pruning trees.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #531 on: January 10, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2014/01/sierra_lamar_antolin_garcia_torres_plea.php

Sierra LaMar: Nearly Two Years After Teen Goes Missing, Murder Suspect Still Hasn't Entered a Plea
Fri., Jan. 10 2014 at 8:43 AM

It was one of those high-profile cases that created a media frenzy and consumed the Bay Area community. But nearly two years after his arrest, Garcia Torres has yet to enter a plea.

Why?

Initially, there was a conflict of interest issue: The public defender representing the murder suspect was also representing his father, who was in jail on charges of molesting his own daughter.

Since then, conflict over evidence in the Garcia Torres case has delayed a plea. On Thursday, Torres appeared in court for the umpteenth time, again leaving without entering a plea to charges of kidnapping and murdering Sierra LaMar.

According to NBC News, the defense told the judge that it was "making progress," but still had more evidence to review. As a result, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Sharon Chatman refused to enter a plea on the defendant's behalf and instead set yet another new hearing date for March 3.

At that time, she said she expects a date for a preliminary hearing would be set, and that Garcia Torres would enter a plea.

Here's the court documents which provide details on the defense-prosecution disagreement over evidence:

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #532 on: January 10, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2014/01/sierra_lamar_antolin_garcia_torres_plea.php

Sierra LaMar: Nearly Two Years After Teen Goes Missing, Murder Suspect Still Hasn't Entered a Plea

It was one of those high-profile cases that created a media frenzy and consumed the Bay Area community. But nearly two years after his arrest, Garcia Torres has yet to enter a plea.

Why?

Initially, there was a conflict of interest issue: The public defender representing the murder suspect was also representing his father, who was in jail on charges of molesting his own daughter.

Since then, conflict over evidence in the Garcia Torres case has delayed a plea. On Thursday, Torres appeared in court for the umpteenth time, again leaving without entering a plea to charges of kidnapping and murdering Sierra LaMar.

According to NBC News, the defense told the judge that it was "making progress," but still had more evidence to review. As a result, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Sharon Chatman refused to enter a plea on the defendant's behalf and instead set yet another new hearing date for March 3.

At that time, she said she expects a date for a preliminary hearing would be set, and that Garcia Torres would enter a plea.

Here's the court documents which provide details on the defense-prosecution disagreement over evidence:

It's really sad when the victim, their families and their friends are left hanging in limbo for this long.  I'm hoping and praying for justice for Sierra. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #533 on: January 13, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »

Why?

It's really sad when the victim, their families and their friends are left hanging in limbo for this long.  I'm hoping and praying for justice for Sierra. 

this is ludicrous!

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »

Antolin Garcia-Torres indicted in Sierra LaMar's murder
Tuesday, February 11, 2014

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A grand jury has indicted a 22-year-old man for a series of violent attacks on South Bay women in 2009 and the 2012 abduction and murder of a 15-year-old Morgan Hill girl, Sierra LaMar.

Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen announced in a statement that Antolin Garcia-Torres was indicted Tuesday for the alleged crimes.

Garcia-Torres is set to be arraigned Thursday afternoon.

He is accused of trying to kidnap three women during a string of carjackings in 2009. The victims included an 18-year-old from Gilroy, a 46-year-old from San Martin and a 36-year-old from Morgan Hill.

In addition, the DNA of Sierra LaMar, who disappeared in March 2012 and whose body has not been found, was discovered in Garcia-Torres' car.

<snipped>

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=9428366

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #535 on: February 16, 2014, 02:24:41 AM »

http://**/crime-courts/ci_25135697/sierra-lamar-defendant-pleads-not-guilty-murder

Sierra LaMar defendant pleads not guilty to murder

By Tracey Kaplan

tkaplan@mercurynews.com

Posted:   02/14/2014 06:42:44 AM PST
Updated:   02/14/2014 06:42:52 AM PST

SAN JOSE -- Nearly two years after teenager Sierra LaMar disappeared on her way to a Morgan Hill bus stop, the man accused of killing her pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges that could put him in prison for life or result in his execution.

Antolin Garcia-Torres, 22, also waived his right to a speedy trial within 60 days -- meaning his trial could be months or even years away, given the complexity of the case and gravity of the charges. He was indicted earlier this week by a criminal grand jury and is now charged with the kidnapping and killing of Sierra, who vanished March 16, 2012.

Antolin Garcia-Torres, 22, pleads not guilty to murder during his arraignment at Santa Clara County Superior Court in San Jose, Calif. on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014. Garcia-Torres had been indicted earlier this week by a Santa Clara County Superior Court grand jury in connection with the alleged murder-kidnapping of missing Morgan Hill teen, Sierra LaMar. Garcia-Torres was arrested on May 21, 2012, two months after Sierra LaMar's disappearance. (Gary Reyes/Bay Area News Group) (Gary Reyes)

The courtroom was packed with Sierra's family and friends, all wearing red Converse shoes -- the girl's favorite. Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Thang Nguyen Barrett sealed the grand jury transcript and set an April 16 hearing to decide whether to keep it sealed and to set a trial date.

"I'm glad to see this move forward," said Doug Tollis, a San Jose carpenter who has helped search for Sierra's body since she vanished. He said he knows it could take months or even a year to get to trial, but "We got it in motion now -- that's the important thing."

Although her body never was found, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office has said Garcia Torres' DNA was discovered on Sierra's clothes, which were found discarded in a field not far from a bus stop near her house. Sierra's DNA was also found in the suspect's red Volkswagen Jetta.

Prosecutors also have charged Garcia-Torres with the attempted kidnapping and carjacking of three women in separate incidents in 2009. Those incidents, alleged to have occurred when he was 17, are likely to be used by the prosecution to argue that when Sierra and Garcia-Torres' paths crossed, the result could well have been lethal.

District Attorney Jeff Rosen is still weighing whether to pursue the death penalty and has yet to even receive a recommendation from his death review committee. But without Sierra's body, the case is already more of a challenge, and Rosen is considered more likely in this case to seek life in prison without the possibility of parole than capital punishment.

Rumors abound that Garcia-Torres will seek a change of venue on the grounds that he cannot get a fair trial because of intense publicity about the case. However, the last time a change of venue was granted in Santa Clara County was in 1980, when the county population -- and thus the jury pool -- was smaller. That's when the so-called San Jose Cheese Company murder trial involving the local Mafia was moved to Los Angeles County.

Contact Tracey Kaplan at 408-278-3482. Follow her at Twitter.com/tkaplanreport

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #536 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:45 AM »

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMar-Suspect-Pleads-Not-Guilty-245446621.html

Antolin Garcia-Torres, Suspect in Sierra Lamar Murder, Pleads Not Guilty
By Jeff Burbank and Bay City News
|  Thursday, Feb 13, 2014  |  Updated 7:37 PM PST

Antolin Garcia-Torres, the 22-year-old man charged with kidnapping and murdering Morgan Hill teenager Sierra Lamar, pleaded not guilty at his arraignment hearing in Santa Clara County Superior Court Thursday afternoon.

The arraignment came after Garcia-Torres was indicted by a criminal grand jury earlier this week on charges of murder and kidnapping for the Sierra Lamar case.

He was also indicted on three counts of attempted kidnapping and carjacking for separate incidents in 2009 in which he allegedly accosted three women outside South Bay supermarkets.

"He looked nervous," said Doug Tollis, a volunteer with Team Sierra. "We want him to be nervous."

Tollis was one of dozens of volunteers who have been searching for Sierra that attended Thursday's hearing. Sierra's family were not in court.

After Garcia-Torres' plea entry, Judge Thang Barrett set a hearing for April 16 to schedule a trial date and to hear the defense's motion to keep the grand jury transcript sealed.

Read the indictment here:

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/GarciaIndictment.pdf

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #537 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:02 AM »

good grief . . . this will take forever.
The poor family . . .

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #538 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:54 PM »

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMar-Dive-Teams-Search-Lake-Where-Murder-Suspect-Used-to-Go-Fishing-247176901.html

Dive Team Trains at Lake Where Sierra LaMar Murder Suspect Used to Go Fishing
Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014  |  Updated 8:55 PM PST

Santa Clara County divers searched a small lake in Morgan Hill where Sierra LaMar’s accused killer used to go fishing.

Officially, the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Underwater Search Team was just training. They have a new million-dollar sonar system. And while the lake is well-suited for training -- because it’s one of the few that still has water -- that may not be the only reason they’re diving there.

Six divers spent about five hours in the waters of Hidden Farm Lake on Tuesday. Unofficially, people are hoping they’re searching for Sierra LaMar.

“There are several reasons for that to be a place of interest,” Mark Garcia said.

•Suspect in Sierra Lamar Case Pleads Not Guilty

Garcia is a private investigator working for LaMar’s parents. He says this lake is about a half-mile from where Sierra LaMar’s suspected killer’s mother lived and from where sources say Antolin Garcia Torres used to go fishing.

The grand jury report has not been released to the public and might not be before Garcia Torres goes to trial.

•Levi's Stadium Hiring Ushers

The judge in the case scheduled a hearing for April to decide whether or not to unseal the report.

Garcia Torres is due back in court on March 3.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #539 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/EricaPNews
March 3, 2014 Tweets

EricaParsons News ‏@EricaPNews  7m
#SierraLaMar RT @SCSCourt: #C1233134 Antolin Garcia Torres - case dismissed (counts 1-4)  in lieu of indictment 213515. Next appearance 4/16

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.