March 28, 2024, 11:38:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sierra Lamar #2 4/21/12 -  (Read 391034 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #600 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:51 PM »

http://www.ktvu.com/news/161092097-story

Sierra LaMar trial set for August 1st
Posted:Jun 17 2016 10:02AM PDT
Updated:Jun 17 2016 10:05AM PDT

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KTVU) - A trial date has been set for the man accused of killing missing Morgan Hill teenager Sierra LaMar.

The trial date for the high profile murder case of suspect Antolin Garcia-Torres is set for August 1.

The trial has been delayed in the past multiple times.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #601 on: June 26, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »

http://www.ktvu.com/news/161092097-story

Sierra LaMar trial set for August 1st
Posted:Jun 17 2016 10:02AM PDT
Updated:Jun 17 2016 10:05AM PDT

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KTVU) - A trial date has been set for the man accused of killing missing Morgan Hill teenager Sierra LaMar.

The trial date for the high profile murder case of suspect Antolin Garcia-Torres is set for August 1.

The trial has been delayed in the past multiple times.

I don't bet -- but if I did I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel the trial begins August 1st.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »

Sister,

You were right!  The trial is not starting today.   
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMar-Murder-Case-Delayed-Again-388854982.html

Judge Denies Further Delays in Sierra LaMar Murder Case
Published 3 hours ago

The Santa Clara County Superior Court judge in the Sierra LaMar murder case on Monday denied the defendant's request to further postpone the trial any longer, four years after the Morgan Hill teen disappeared from a bus stop near her home.

The accused killer, Antolin Garcia-Torres, and his legal team had asked that the court hold off until October 10 to commence trial proceedings, but that request was denied by Justice Vanessa Zecher. She said she found no good reason to further postpone the trial, which has already dragged on since shortly after Garcia-Torres' arrest in May 2012.

Sierra LaMar Murder Trial: Defense Gains Access to DNA

Still, the trial will not start immediately. The judge scheduled motions for August 31 and tentative jury selection for September 19.

The judge is also scheduled to hear arguments Monday afternoon from the defense requesting to suppress evidence. That evidence may reveal previously undisclosed information.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #604 on: August 02, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »

Good. I'm glad the judge is denying further delays in Sierra's trial.  The defendant has rights, but then so do the victim, the victim's family, not to mention the cost to taxpayers.  JMHO

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sierra-LaMar-Murder-Case-Delayed-Again-388854982.html

Published 3 hours ago

The Santa Clara County Superior Court judge in the Sierra LaMar murder case on Monday denied the defendant's request to further postpone the trial any longer, four years after the Morgan Hill teen disappeared from a bus stop near her home.

The accused killer, Antolin Garcia-Torres, and his legal team had asked that the court hold off until October 10 to commence trial proceedings, but that request was denied by Justice Vanessa Zecher. She said she found no good reason to further postpone the trial, which has already dragged on since shortly after Garcia-Torres' arrest in May 2012.

Still, the trial will not start immediately. The judge scheduled motions for August 31 and tentative jury selection for September 19.

The judge is also scheduled to hear arguments Monday afternoon from the defense requesting to suppress evidence. That evidence may reveal previously undisclosed information.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #605 on: August 03, 2016, 07:17:40 AM »

Good. I'm glad the judge is denying further delays in Sierra's trial.  The defendant has rights, but then so do the victim, the victim's family, not to mention the cost to taxpayers.  JMHO

Published 3 hours ago

I agree, MuffyBee!  

Justice for Sierra! 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #606 on: August 04, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »

Sister,

You were right!  The trial is not starting today.   

prayers for this family and friends.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #607 on: August 18, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »

http://**/crime-courts/ci_30257831/sierra-lamar-key-rulings-expected-garcia-torres-murder

Sierra LaMar: Should judge move murder trial, exclude evidence?
Posted:   08/17/2016 08:47:20 AM PDT | Updated:   about 23 hours ago

SAN JOSE -- More than four years after Sierra LaMar disappeared, a judge Wednesday heard arguments and testimony on two key legal issues that could help determine the fate of the teen's accused killer -- where the capital murder trial will take place and what evidence prosecutors can use to win a conviction.

Citing extremely negative pretrial publicity, lawyers for defendant Antolin Garcia-Torres, 22, have asked Superior Court Judge Vanessa A. Zecher to move the trial out of Santa Clara County.

They have also asked Zecher to exclude statements that Garcia-Torres made to sheriff's deputies, as well as evidence found during the search of his home and car.

Zecher began hearing arguments on both issues Wednesday in a hearing that is expected to continue through Friday morning. The judge did not indicate whether she would rule from the bench or issue a decision later.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #608 on: August 29, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Sierra-LaMar-murder-trial-to-stay-in-Santa-Clara-9185513.php
Sierra LaMar murder trial to stay in Santa Clara County
August 25, 2016

A Santa Clara County judge denied a request to move a high-profile murder trial out of the county on Thursday after attorneys for the man accused of abducting and killing missing South Bay teenager Sierra LaMar argued he would not receive a fair trial.
Judge Vanessa A. Zecher ruled that the trial of Antolin Garcia-Torres would remain in Santa Clara County, rejecting the defense team’s fears that it could not find an impartial jury. Zecher made the decision following expert testimony and oral arguments from the defense that began last week.
Garcia-Torres’ attorneys have the option to later renew the motion.
The change-of-venue motion was filed July 1, contending “a high percentage of the population of the county are familiar with the case and have formed opinions about the defendant’s guilt.”

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #609 on: August 30, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Sierra-LaMar-murder-trial-to-stay-in-Santa-Clara-9185513.php
Sierra LaMar murder trial to stay in Santa Clara County
August 25, 2016

A Santa Clara County judge denied a request to move a high-profile murder trial out of the county on Thursday after attorneys for the man accused of abducting and killing missing South Bay teenager Sierra LaMar argued he would not receive a fair trial.
Judge Vanessa A. Zecher ruled that the trial of Antolin Garcia-Torres would remain in Santa Clara County, rejecting the defense team’s fears that it could not find an impartial jury. Zecher made the decision following expert testimony and oral arguments from the defense that began last week.
Garcia-Torres’ attorneys have the option to later renew the motion.
The change-of-venue motion was filed July 1, contending “a high percentage of the population of the county are familiar with the case and have formed opinions about the defendant’s guilt.”

IMO another attempt to delay.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:21 PM »

http://patch.com/california/losgatos/man-accused-sierra-lamars-murder-can-not-have-separate-trials-3-kidnap-attempts

Man Accused Of Sierra LaMar's Murder Can Not Have Separate Trials For 3 Kidnap Attempts At Supermarket
By Norcal Patch (Patch Staff) -      September 21, 2016 4:22 pm ET

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA – A Santa Clara County Superior Court judge has denied a motion from a 25-year-old man to hold separate trials on charges of kidnapping and murdering 15-year-old Sierra LaMar in 2012 from three attempted kidnappings in Morgan Hill years earlier.

Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Vanessa Zecher denied a motion brought by Antolin Garcia-Torres to hold separate trials on charges surrounding Sierra's disappearance from the attempted kidnappings outside Morgan Hill Safeway grocery stores in March 2009.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Garcia-Torres, whose trial is expected to start later this year.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #611 on: September 23, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »

I guess POS does want a separate trial -- but this way, can show a pattern.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »

I guess POS does want a separate trial -- but this way, can show a pattern.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #613 on: October 18, 2016, 10:52:24 PM »

Jury selection! 

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Jury-Selection-Begins-in-Delayed-Sierra-Lamar-Case-397297711.html

Jury Selection Begins in Delayed Sierra LaMar Case
Published at 6:04 AM PDT on Oct 17, 2016 | Updated at 5:53 PM PDT on Oct 17, 2016

More than four years after teenager Sierra LaMar disappeared from a Morgan Hill bus stop, the trial against her accused abductor and killer has reached the jury selection process.

Court officials at the Hall of Justice in San Jose Monday polled 360 potential jurors. There was an audible gasp in the courtroom when they learned the death penalty trial may last six months.

•VideoVallejo Police Shoot Man Pointing Assault Weapon at Them

The future trial involving suspect Antolin Garcia-Torres could drag out for some time. At one point in court Monday, Garcia-Torres turned to prospective jurors and said "Good morning everybody. Thanks for being here."

Many potential jurors were dismissed for hardship and the rest were given a 30-page questionnaire.

Jury selection continues Tuesday with another 360 potential jurors.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2016, 06:55:47 AM »

Justice for Sierra! 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2016, 05:51:01 PM »

http://www.ksbw.com/article/sierra-lamar-murder-trial-begins/6503667

Jury selection in Sierra LaMar murder trial begins
Updated: 3:20 PM PDT Oct 17, 2016

A proposition on this November’s ballot could impact Garcia-Torres’ fate. If Proposition 62 is approved and repeals California’s death penalty, all current death penalty cases will be grandfathered in. That decision would result in no more death row convictions.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »

http://crcconnection.com/2016/10/18/jury-selection-begins-in-sierra-lamar-trial.html

Jury selection begins in Sierra LaMar trial
Oct 18, 2016, 12:39

"The DA is overreaching here seeking the death penalty and the prosecution is going to have to deal with the issue that they do not have a body", said legal analyst Steven Clark. There was an audible gasp in the courtroom when the judge told the potential jurors this case could last through April of 2017. The defense and prosecution will get to review the answers and then ask further questions when the jurors return on November 14. He's pleaded not guilty to all charges. Those who weren't granted a hardship are filling out the jury questionnaire which has 127 questions inside.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #617 on: October 19, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »

http://**/2016/10/19/five-years-after-morgan-hill-teen-sierra-lamar-vanished-opening-statements-in-capital-murder-trial-set-to-begin-for-jan-3/

Sierra LaMar murder trial gets firm January start date
PUBLISHED: October 19, 2016 at 12:12 pm | UPDATED: October 19, 2016 at 3:13 pm

SAN JOSE — More than five years after Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar disappeared on her way to a school bus stop, the Santa Clara County judge handling the capital case set a firm start date for the trial of the man suspected of killing her: Jan. 3.

Superior Court Judge Vanessa A. Zecher on Tuesday reminded the lawyers in the death-penalty case against Antolin Garcia-Torres, 22, to be ready to give their opening statements after the holidays, on the first Tuesday of 2017.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #618 on: October 26, 2016, 09:04:04 PM »

http://abc7news.com/news/possible-new-defense-for-man-accused-of-murdering-sierra-lamar/1574269/

Attorneys could lay out new defense for man accused of murdering Sierra LaMar
Wednesday, October 26, 2016 01:22PM

According to ABC7 News media partner, The Mercury News, attorneys for Antolin Garcia-Torres claim Lamar might be a runaway.

They argue she wrote something in her Spanish textbook that supports that theory and they add it's corroborated by a young woman who lived with Lamar and her mother.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #619 on: October 28, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/jury-selection-continues-in-sierra-lamar-case/article_ad0741fe-9c77-11e6-8540-cfee40dde3b2.html

Jury selection continues in Sierra LaMar case
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Jury selection in the Sierra LaMar murder case continues as attorneys for the suspect and the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office continue to disagree on what evidence will be admissible in the coming trial.

The trial for Antolin Garcia Torres, 23 of Morgan Hill, is expected to begin in early January at the Hall of Justice in San Jose. Garcia Torres is accused of kidnapping and murdering Sierra, a 15-year-old Morgan Hill resident, the morning of her disappearance March 16, 2012, according to authorities.

Recent court filings indicate Garcia Torres’ attorneys from the county’s Alternate Defender’s Office think statements made by the defendant before officers formally arrested him and read him his Miranda rights should be tossed from consideration.

Furthermore, recent news reports this week indicate that Garcia Torres’ attorneys have filed additional briefs suggesting that Sierra voluntarily ran away from home, and was not a victim of any criminal activity by the defendant.

Attorneys and prospective jurors will return to court Nov. 14 in San Jose to resume the jury selection process.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.