April 25, 2024, 02:33:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 days in jail for running over stroller, killing toddler  (Read 3731 times)
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:22 AM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/driver-pleads-guilty-to-1427485.html

Driver pleads guilty to killing toddler in stroller

Glass was backing a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica through the parking lot at Lenora Park on Lenora Church Road when the vehicle struck a stroller pushed by Brooke Hellwig, Olivia’s mother, in a pedestrian crossing area.

After being knocked down from the impact, Brooke Hellwig got up and began running toward the rear of the SUV where baby Olivia and her stroller had been knocked over and turned upside down," the news release said.

"But just as Mrs. Hellwig was a few feet from baby Olivia, Ms. Glass reversed her vehicle again, running over the stroller and crushing baby Olivia's head," the release said. "She then drove forward again, running over baby Olivia's head a second time as Ms. Hellwig helplessly watched."

I've seen people receive more time for striking someone while driving drunk.  This woman didn't even have the excuse of impaired driving.  She was sober and driving recklessly.  How can 30 days be any kind of justice or teach this woman to slow her #$%$^%$ down and pay attention to what's going on around her.  

I doubt this young mom will ever be normal again.  I'd lose my mind reliving the scene in my mind each day.  It's just heartbreaking.

KittyMom, I've added "killing toddler" to the subject line. MB
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:38:28 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:55 AM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/driver-pleads-guilty-to-1427485.html

Driver pleads guilty to killing toddler in stroller

Glass was backing a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica through the parking lot at Lenora Park on Lenora Church Road when the vehicle struck a stroller pushed by Brooke Hellwig, Olivia’s mother, in a pedestrian crossing area.

After being knocked down from the impact, Brooke Hellwig got up and began running toward the rear of the SUV where baby Olivia and her stroller had been knocked over and turned upside down," the news release said.

"But just as Mrs. Hellwig was a few feet from baby Olivia, Ms. Glass reversed her vehicle again, running over the stroller and crushing baby Olivia's head," the release said. "She then drove forward again, running over baby Olivia's head a second time as Ms. Hellwig helplessly watched."

I've seen people receive more time for striking someone while driving drunk.  This woman didn't even have the excuse of impaired driving.  She was sober and driving recklessly.  How can 30 days be any kind of justice or teach this woman to slow her #$%$^%$ down and pay attention to what's going on around her.  

I doubt this young mom will ever be normal again.  I'd lose my mind reliving the scene in my mind each day.  It's just heartbreaking.

OMGosh!!  Words cannot begin to describe how terrible it must have been for the young mom to witness her child being run over by a car not once, but three times total!   Why didn't the driver just STOP and get out to find out what happened, instead of backing up and then driving forward again?  

"After being knocked down from the impact, Brooke Hellwig got up and began running toward the rear of the SUV where baby Olivia and her stroller had been knocked over and turned upside down," the news release said.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:38:42 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

I can't understand why she didn't get out of her car to see what she'd hit?  It had to make noise or feel like a 'bump'. 

I just don't understand why she didn't face harsher sentencing.  I'm not one to support lawsuits, but this is one case where I hope the mom sues this woman and forces her to face a lifetime of 'payment' as punishment.  The money could be used for the counseling this poor woman needs or given to a charity.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/parents-say-woman-lacks-remorse-running-over-killi/nNJd7/

Parents: Driver lacks remorse for running over, killing child

"That's something that I will hear and see in my mind replay over and over again in my life. That's the death of my child," the heartbroken mother told Channel 2's Carl Willis.

Glass received 30 days in jail and two years of probation. But Hellwig and her husband, Brad, said the punishment doesn't fit the crime. They also said Glass doesn't realize the pain and suffering she has caused their family.

"Her lawyer issued an apology, but there was nothing from her," Hellwig said. "I didn't feel any real remorse from her in court."

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.