Kimberly Whitton and daughter-missing since 6/22/07 Alabama

(1/7) > >>

klaasend:
No word on missing mother and daughter; community scared

July 7, 2007 06:16 AM PDT

There's still no word on a missing mother and daughter from Jackson county.

It's been more than 2 weeks since anyone's heard or seen Kimberly Whitton and her 11-year-old daughter, Haleigh Culwell.

Their disappearance has shaken their Sand Mountain community.

"I am terrified. I am absolutely terrified," a Section woman said.

Kim's husband, Barry Whitton, was a suspect in his first wife's murder.

Michelle Whitton was reported missing nearly 10 years ago.

6 weeks later she was found in a shallow grave. Investigators say she was beaten to death.

Barry Whitton was never charged.

People in Section say his current wife and stepdaughter's disappearance seems all too familiar.

"Everybody in Macedonia and Section, I would say 99-percent to my knowledge is aware of Barry and circumstances that happened in his past with his first wife. And they are all literally terrified of him and what he could do them," a Section woman said.

One of Kim's friends, also wanting to remain anonymous, says she's just concerned about finding Kim and Haleigh.

She's trying to remain hopeful.

"If she's out there, we love you Kim. Come home," Kim's unidentified friend said.

But she says the more time that passes, the harder it becomes.

This weekend will be especially difficult. Kim's 37th birthday is today.

"It makes me nervous. It makes me wonder why she hasn't called because I think she would call. I just hope that she's ok and that's not the reason that she's not calling," Kim's friend said.

Investigators say there's no evidence of foul play in Kim and Haleigh's disappearance.

Barry Whitton is not considered a suspect.

WAFF 48 News tried calling him for comment, but he did not answer.

http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=6756530

~~~~~~~~~~~~~edit by Nut to add images to first page.

bleachedblack:
The husband having a history of an ex-spouse turning up dead makes this latest disappearance very suspicious IMO.

bleachedblack:
1st wife's fate is a surprise to 2nd's dad
Saturday, July 07, 2007

Missing woman's husband didn't say it was a homicide

SECTION - The father of a missing Jackson County woman said he didn't know until Thursday that her husband's first wife was the victim of an unsolved homicide nearly 10 years ago.

Kimberly Whitton, 36, and her daughter, Haleigh, were reported missing June 28 by co-workers at Cloverdale Manor nursing home.

Until she disappeared, Whitton had missed only one day of work in her seven years as a licensed practical nurse at the nursing home, co-workers said Friday. They asked not to be identified.

Whitton's father, Jerry Compton, said Friday that her husband, Barry Whitton, "seems like a pretty nice fellow." He said he was surprised to learn about the circumstances of the death of Michelle Whitton, Barry Whitton's previous wife.

"He told me his first wife died from an overdose," Compton said. "But I found out last night that she was murdered."

Several weeks after her unexplained disappearance, Michelle Whitton's body was found partially buried in 1997 on a hillside in the Powell community about 15 miles from their Dutton home. No one was arrested in her death. Authorities said her death was a homicide but never disclosed how she died.

Although investigators had a suspect, District Attorney Charlie Rhodes said then that there was not enough evidence to make an arrest. Rhodes was unavailable for comment Friday.

Compton said he had not heard from his daughter since returning his granddaughter, Haleigh Brean Culwell, and stepgrandson, Ethan Whitton, both 11, to the Whitton home after the children spent several days with him and his wife, Pat, during spring break in March.

After learning that his daughter and granddaughter were missing, he said, he drove to the Whitton home near Section to talk with Whitton. His Ford pickup truck and his daughter's Dodge Dualie pickup were parked there, but no one appeared to be at home, he said

>>>>>>The Full Article

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/news/1183799831307680.xml&coll=1

MsVada:
hopefully if he did it this time, they get him and he doesn't get to go out and find another wife and live without bars.  

I am afraid it doesn't look good.  I'm saying prayers that I am wrong and they turn up somewhere.

] Maybe she's taken the daughter and gone into hiding somewhere to get away from him.

bleachedblack:
Mother, daughter still missing

Published July 10, 2007
Jackson County Sheriff’s Department investigators are still actively searching for Kimberly Compton Whitton and her daughter, Haleigh Breann Culwell, who went missing from their Section home on or about June 21, 2007.

“We don't have a whole lot to go on at this time,”Chief Deputy Doyle York told The Daily Sentinel Monday. “We’re still working it as a missing person case.”

An Amber Alert has been issued for Culwell. She is listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Web site at www.missingkids.com.

“We’re getting phone calls,” York said. “We’re using everything we can to try and find these people.”

The Amber Alert program was created in 1996 in response to the kidnapping and brutal murder of 9-year-old Amber Hagerman of Arlington, Texas. The program, also known as America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response Plan, is designed for broadcasters and authorities to immediately distribute information about recent child abductions enabling the community to assist in the search.

Whitton, 36, and Culwell, 11, were reported missing by Mrs. Whitton's co-workers at Cloverdale Manor Nursing Home in Scottsboro on June 28. They were last seen on June 21.

Whitton's husband, Barry Whitton, apparently told investigators that his wife and stepdaughter left their Section home on their own.

Investigator's do not know what type of clothing Mrs. Whitton or Culwell were wearing when they were last seen. They do not know what type vehicle the mother and daughter were in when they left home. Mrs. Whitton's Dodge pickup truck remains parked in the driveway, according to reports.

Mrs. Whitton, 5'9 and 270 lbs., has brown hair and bown eyes.

Culwell is 5'2 and 110 lbs. She has blonde hair, blue eyes and wears braces.

Whitton's previous wife, Michelle Townsend Whitton, was the victim of a homicide. Her body was found on Jan. 21, 1998 in rural DeKalb County after she went missing on Dec. 7, 1997.

Jackson County authorities had a suspect, "but we never made a case," York said.

Mr. Whitton has been interviewed at least twice about the current case, according to York. He has not been described as a suspect.

http://www.thedailysentinel.com/story.lasso?ewcd=73e4994f7250d076

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page