Kimberly Whitton and daughter-missing since 6/22/07 Alabama

<< < (6/7) > >>

pdh3:
I'm off that day. I may have to go take a look at this guy. I don't think he'll ever tell where he hid his wife and her daughter. He's very cunning.

bleachedblack:

Sentence delayed in North Ala. for suspect in disappearance

May 27, 2008
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) - A sentencing hearing on federal weapons charges for a man suspected in the disappearance of his wife and stepdaughter has been delayed until July.

The sentencing hearing for 39-year-old Barry Van Whitton had been scheduled for Monday. Court records show it was reset for 9 a.m. July 11 in federal court in Huntsville at Whitton's request.

Whitton has been in jail on the weapons charges since last July when authorities searched his mountain property near Section looking for his wife, 36-year-old Kimberly Whitton, and her daughter, 11-year-old Haleigh Culwell. Authorities found weapons, including a loaded rifle, during the search.

The FBI says Whitton is also a suspect in the death of his first wife, who was found beaten to death in a shallow grave 10 years ago.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8383875

Nut44x4:
JULY 11, 2008

BARRY WHITTON SENTENCED TO 120  MONTHS IN PRISON
ON FEDERAL GUN CHARGES

HUNTSVILLE, AL - BARRY VAN WHITTON  38, of Section, Alabama was sentenced in United States District Court today by Chief United States District Judge Sharon L. Blackburn, to 120 months in prison for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Evidence in the case revealed that investigators discovered firearms in July, 2007 when searching WHITTON’s home in connection with his missing wife and stepdaughter.    Five firearms;  a Columbia 12 gauge shotgun, a Universal M-1 carbine semi-automatic rifle, a Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle, a Crickett .22 caliber rifle and a Savage Arms .22 caliber rifle were recovered from the residence. WHITTON was a convicted felon at the time the firearms were recovered,  having been convicted of receiving stolen property in March, 1998 and May, 1991. WHITTON was convicted of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon on September 21, 2007.

Evidence was presented during the sentencing hearing that WHITTON  made threats to harm certain state judges in Jackson County, Alabama.  Additional evidence was presented indicating that WHITTON claimed to have been involved in murders and that he knew how to dispose of bodies.   In imposing the maximum possible sentence, Chief Judge Blackburn stated, “In all of my years on the bench, I have never heard such disturbing testimony about a defendant’s potential for violence, nor have I seen someone who was more of a potential danger to the community.”

“We are pleased that the maximum sentence was imposed by Chief Judge Blackburn. This sentence is one that will serve to protect citizens from a very dangerous criminal,” stated U.S. Attorney Alice H. Martin.  “Because of the diligence of our law enforcement partners,  we were able to get this dangerous felon off our streets.  We will continue to recommend the maximum sentence allowed by law in every appropriate case.”           

The case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; the Jackson, DeKalb and Marshall County Sheriff’s Offices;  Alabama Bureau of Investigation; Alabama State Troopers; Alabama Marine Patrol; Alabama Fish and Wildlife Service; and the Scottsboro Police Department. The case was prosecuted on behalf of the United States by Assistant United States Attorneys Alison Austin and David Estes.
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/aln/Docs/July%202008/JULY%2011,%202008%20BARRY%20WHITTON.htm

Nut44x4:
Top Stories of 2008

By Dewayne Patterson
The Daily Sentinel   

Published December 31, 2008

The Daily Sentinel countdown of the Top 10 stories of 2008 concludes today with the top two stories of the year as decided by the paper’s editorial staff.

No. 2 - Barry Whitton sentenced

Behind testimony from a government informant, Barry Whitton was sentenced to 10 years in prison in July after pleading guilty almost a year earlier to a federal charge of being a felon in possession of firearms.

U.S. District Judge Sharon Lovelace Blackburn handed down the sentence, saying it was the maximum she could give Whitton, but it was inadequate due to him being a danger to the public.

“I’ve never had a defendant in my 17 years as federal judge more of a threat to society,” Blackburn said during the sentencing in the Federal Courthouse in Huntsville.

Whitton, who is a suspect but has never been charged in the disappearances of his wife, Kimberly Whitton and step-daughter Haleigh Culwell, had remained in the Cullman County Jail since being arrested after agents found guns on his property in Macedonia while searching for clues in the disappearances of his wife and step-daughter, who were last seen on June 21, 2007.

He is also a suspect in the murder of his first wife, Michelle, in 1997.

His sentencing in July had been continued seven times since its original date in January of this year.

During sentencing, prisoner Mark Anthony Pride testified against Whitton. Pride had worn a wire while incarcerated with Whitton in Cullman County Jail in May and June.

Pride said his time with Whitton was disturbing.

“People talk,” said Pride, “but it was different with Barry. He was abnormal. He talked about people he had killed and mutilating animals.”

According to Pride and the tapes that were played during the sentencing, Whitton said two men killed his first wife Michelle. He added that he murdered the two men, Tracy Stoops and Chuck Carson. Whitton said he murdered Stoops and threw him off High Falls in Geraldine in DeKalb County. He added that Carson died during an explosion in a chicken house. Pride said Whitton wanted to make it look like a murder-suicide.

Later in the day, Investigator Eric Woodall of the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the deaths of Carson and Stoops and said it had been ruled a murder-suicide.

Whitton also confided in Pride that he had killed a man in 1983 during a drug deal after the man had tried to rob him.

Pride said Whitton never admitted to killing his second wife, Kimberly and her daughter, Haleigh, who have been missing since last June. However, he gave off many signs, Pride testified.

Pride said Whitton told him how to dispose of a human body.

“He explained how to cut the flesh off the bones,” said Pride. And catch the blood under a bucket. And feed it all to hogs. Hogs eat everything, he said.”

Whitton also talked to Pride about killing Kimberly’s mother, Mildred Compton.

“He hates Mildred,” Pride said. “He never had anything good to say about her. He talked about tying her to a tree and skinning her alive.”

Whitton also told Pride he still had guns on his property that officials have never found.

“Jackson County is upset with me so much because they know I’m capable of doing so much and they can’t prove a thing,” Whitton told Pride.

Whitton’s attorney, Bruce Gardner of Huntsville, said the 10-year prison sentence was unwarranted based on the evidence.

“It’s theory, guesswork and a jailhouse informant,” Gardner told the judge. “Barry has been a model prisoner in Cullman. He’s had no behavioral problems.”

Gardner said he would appeal the sentence on Whitton’s behalf.
http://www.thedailysentinel.com/story.lasso?ewcd=64c9baeafa8c9f7a

Porchlight:
We have quite a few more articles on this case here
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=23248&st=0&
You are welcome, as always, to share wherever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page