March 19, 2024, 12:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #3 7/12/12 - 6/14/13  (Read 431266 times)
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #940 on: June 10, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »

Amy's sister...

although I disagree with most of your posts on this thread and have found myself banging my head at several of them (sorry! i do not mean that to be offensive, just a differing of opinion), I enjoy reading them and I appreciate that you are able to post your opinions so respectfully and respond in same to back up your opinions.  this is important and I respect the heck out of you for it.  it makes me think about my position on this case.  I lean towards Zimmerman acting in self defense however I have resigned myself to keeping an open mind about this and will be going by the facts presented in court.  I think this is the first case I have followed that I will really try to do this with.  I watched everyday of Tot Mom and Jodi Arias and clearly wanted them both to rot on death row, however this case I am willing to keep a more open mind.  I look forward to having more discussion about all of this once the trial starts and the evidence is presented.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #941 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57588420-504083/george-zimmerman-update-jury-selection-launches-monday-in-the-murder-trial-of-former-neighborhood-watch-captain/
George Zimmerman Update: Jury selection launches Monday in the murder trial of former neighborhood watch captain
June 10, 2013

(CBS) -- Lawyers in the George Zimmerman murder trial may face a tricky jury selection process because the typical "conservative, law-and-order" juror usually favored by prosecutors may sympathize with the former neighborhood watch captain, experts say.
 ::snipping3::Zimmerman says he killed Martin in self-defense after the teen attacked him, but prosecutors are expected to argue Zimmerman trailed Martin and started the confrontation after he identified the teen as an intruder in the community.

"This is one of these topsy-turvy cases where the conservative/liberal split kind of flips upside down," said Jeffrey Abramson, law and government professor at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law. "The prosecution usually favors 'law-and-order' jurors who are pro-conviction, but in this case, it's very possible that those jurors with conservative backgrounds might sympathize with vigilante justice and the right to carry arms.... it's very difficult to pin down who is a good juror for which side because of this flip."

Jurors are likely to be questioned closely about their views on gun ownership and race, and whether or not they have been victims of crime, Abramson said. The prosecution may seek to eliminate jurors with personal experience with assaults, he said, since they could sympathize with Zimmerman.

Though the case has drawn heavy debate about race -- Martin was black, and Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic - Abramson said a larger issue at play in choosing potential jurors will be their attitudes towards the rights of a community to police itself.

"How reasonable is it to justifiably be suspicious of someone who is quote on quote, 'on the outside,' who doesn't seem to belong?" Abramson said.

The defense, he said, will likely seek out jurors sympathetic to the notion of self-enforcement, while the prosecution "will look for people who think that's really a cover up for unreasonable suspicion of African Americans."

Monday, the first group of 100 to 200 potential jurors is expected to report to the criminal courthouse in Seminole County, Florida and begin to fill out juror questionnaires, the Orlando Sentinel reports. The jury selection process is expected to take one to three weeks, reports the paper.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #942 on: June 10, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/10/george-zimmerman-trial-jury-selection_n_3414435.html#blog
George Zimmerman Trial Live Updates: Jury Selection Begins
June 10, 2013

The trial is scheduled to begin at 9:00 a.m. EST.

Read below for minute-by-minute updates from court Monday:

8:17 AM – Today
On The Recess:
The judge did not indicate when court will resume. The live blog will continue when it does.

8:16 AM – Today
Recess
The judge has called recess. The judge and the attorneys are going to go over the jury questionnaire. The questionnaire is a form that potential jurors fill out prior to voir dire.

8:14 AM – Today
George Zimmerman In Court Today

8:12 AM – Today
Sidebar
The attorneys are at a sidebar with the judge.

8:07 AM – Today
Motion Denied
Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda opposed the motion for a continuance and the motion was denied by the judge.

8:05 AM – Today
Not 'Fully Ready'
George Zimmerman's lawyer, Mark O'Mara, said they are not "fully ready" to proceed and need a few more weeks to prepare.

8:04 AM – Today
George Zimmerman In Court Today

8:00 AM – Today
Motion For Continuance
The judge said there is a motion for a continuance.

7:59 AM – Today
In Session
Court is in session.

7:21 AM – Today
On Jury Selection:
More than 200 potential jurors will be at the courthouse today for jury selection.

7:19 AM – Today
Outside The Courthouse
According to CNN, the line for spectators to get inside the courthouse stretches down the street.

6:48 AM – Today
George Zimmerman Trial
Jury selection is scheduled to begin at 9:00 a.m. Eastern time.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #943 on: June 10, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »

WESH hi-tech;
https://twitter.com/trymainelee/status/344092639198605312/photo/1
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #944 on: June 10, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »

Live Stream (one of them)
http://wildabouttrial.com/george-zimmerman-live-stream.html

Twitter (two of them)
https://twitter.com/KBelichWFTV
https://twitter.com/tonypipitone
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #945 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »

I think I can draw the "Great Seal of the State of Florida" from memory.
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #946 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »

Thank you everyone for the updates.  hln has the trial thing in the corner with a picture of the seal that states court is currently in recess.  i wonder if they are going to air jury selection
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #947 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

The last I saw the potential jurors were filling out questionaire forms.
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #948 on: June 10, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »

I still don't know the right way to post tweets. Just say a reporter in the court room says another hour while attorneys look over forms. 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #949 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »

I still don't know the right way to post tweets. Just say a reporter in the court room says another hour while attorneys look over forms. 

It's copy and paste and there should be a link back. The link stays the same.  For example, it should look like this:

If you "quote" my post and look at it, you'll notice it has [url] tags on each end.  I got that by highlighting the link and then clicking on the URL icon (looks like a little globe) in our icon section, second row.  Anyway, you can copy and paste the url from someone else if you have trouble.  This is from what I remember about it, before my retirement.   

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #950 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

https://twitter.com/renestutzman

Rene Stutzman ‏@renestutzman 22m Expect a very long delay smorn at #Zimmerman trial. Attys headed to another room to go over juror questionnaires. About 100

Is that the kosher way to do it? Not much to post yet , pretty boring stuff.
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #951 on: June 10, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »

watching HLN now...and the circus has already begun with the protesters. some protesters are saying they just want a "fair trial"....it should be fair for both sides.  George Zimmerman deserves a fair trial...i wonder when Al Sharpton will be making his first appearance.
alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #952 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

One group of Martin supporters there is the Revolutionary Communist Party USA. Just saying.
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #953 on: June 10, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »

According to Crump, The picture of Trayvon in the red Hollister shirt was taken when he was 16 years old.

It was taken in August 2011, I have a very hard time believing that he was 16, more like 13-14 but 16?

Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #954 on: June 10, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »

Amy's sister...

although I disagree with most of your posts on this thread and have found myself banging my head at several of them (sorry! i do not mean that to be offensive, just a differing of opinion), I enjoy reading them and I appreciate that you are able to post your opinions so respectfully and respond in same to back up your opinions.  this is important and I respect the heck out of you for it.  it makes me think about my position on this case.  I lean towards Zimmerman acting in self defense however I have resigned myself to keeping an open mind about this and will be going by the facts presented in court.  I think this is the first case I have followed that I will really try to do this with.  I watched everyday of Tot Mom and Jodi Arias and clearly wanted them both to rot on death row, however this case I am willing to keep a more open mind.  I look forward to having more discussion about all of this once the trial starts and the evidence is presented.

Zimmerman may have acted in self defense at some point, grant you.
My reasoning is that he was told by cops to back off, but he still decided to pursue someone whom he thought was a danger.
And then perhaps he was being beaten by Trayvon and did yell for help. I think he is still going to do time because he used
a weapon and was told by Police to stand down not pursue.

Talking heads are saying the trial is going to come to who was yelling for help. But I disagree. I believe it is more about
the intent and unfortunately Zimmerman's intent was on that person and that person was Trayvon.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #955 on: June 10, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »

Tony Pipitone Tony Pipitone ‏@TonyPipitone  15m 
Court in recess to 2, lawyers will be back at 1:30.

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #956 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »

Amy's sister...

One of the highest compliments is to disagree with someone and still respect them.  Thank you sunshine12.   sunny

The hardest part of watching a trial, IMO, is trying not to overly critique the attornies.  I can't imagine having to defend or prosecute a high profile and publicized case let alone one involving race and the right to defend oneself... in the state of Florida no less. 

The antics in and out of the courtroom could be very interesting.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #957 on: June 10, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »

https://twitter.com/renestutzman

Rene Stutzman ‏@renestutzman 22m Expect a very long delay smorn at #Zimmerman trial. Attys headed to another room to go over juror questionnaires. About 100

Is that the kosher way to do it? Not much to post yet , pretty boring stuff.

Thanks for posting the tweets alagary. 

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #958 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=JeffWeinerOS

Jeff Weiner @JeffWeinerOS
Lengthy bench conference now as we await the start of questioning for individual jurors. #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman
5 minutes ago  Jeff Weiner @JeffWeinerOS

#GeorgeZimmerman def has a jury consultant today: Robert Hirschhorn. FWIW, here's bio on his website: bit.ly/12fWK6Z #TrayvonMartin
15 minutes ago
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #959 on: June 10, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »

June 10, 2013 Tweets (read from bottom up)

Tony Pipitone ‏@TonyPipitone 3h
I am not sleeping ... Writing on iPad. @BigBoithedog: What is wrong with these 2 people?  Do they not have enough sense to stay awake ...

Tony Pipitone ‏@TonyPipitone 4h
Lawyers back in court after, it appears, they and #GeorgeZimmerman were introduced to potential jurors as they were given questionnaires.

#GeorgeZimmeramn, his lawyers and prosecutors headed down with security to the jury assembly room, where questionnaires to be given to 100.

Once potential jurors dismissed for cause/hardship, each side will get 10 pre-emptory strikes, defense tells me. They could ask for more.

Tony Pipitone ‏@TonyPipitone 5h
#GeorgeZimmerman jury consultant aided defense in William Kennedy Smith, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Robert Durst cases, his web bio says.

In a delay until 1st 100 jurors are ready to be given questionnaire. After that they will come in 1-by-1 until 21 survive 1st round of query

Inquisitive spectator has been reminded -- not removed.

Bernie de la Rionda approached by spectator who wants to talk to him. BDLR tells deputy who will likely remind spectator to spectate only.

Defense using Robert B. Hirschhorn as a jury consultant.

Judge says she will decide any relaxation of evidence rules on "an incident by incident basis," if she is asked to admit the cell data.

Defense seeks relaxation of authentication/evidence rules on material from #TrayvonMartin cellphone, blaming state for hiding it for months.

Judge Debra Nelson denies #GeorgeZimmerman motion to delay trial. Jury selection today.

Defense has not yet deposed @attorneycrump, wants to review, "we're not fully ready," seeks continuance of at least two weeks. State objects

#TrayvonMartin father, mother just sat in courtroom with @attorneycrump, @NatJackEsq and Parks. #GeorgeZimmerman is here. Def wants delay.

Judge is here, lawyers are here, #GeorgeZimmerman on his way.

From 8:06-8:46, counted 57 potential jurors: 6 BM, 11 BF, 17 W, Hispanic or Asian M, 23 WH or A Females. SemCo is 11 percent black.

Tony Pipitone ‏@TonyPipitone 6h
Jury pool arriving at Seminole Courthouse and since 8:06 am I have counted about as many black females as white males (about a dozen each).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.