March 28, 2024, 11:47:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #3 7/12/12 - 6/14/13  (Read 432033 times)
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »

Ok, so according to the website TM's parents set up they want the stand your ground laws to go bye bye.

Our lives were flipped upside down on February 26, 2012 when our son, Trayvon Martin, was taken from us. If losing our son was not enough, we were forced to live with the fact that his killer was out in the community while hiding behind a law that allows individuals to shoot first and ask questions later.

Stand your ground laws exist in 32 states across our nation, and have allowed people to escape responsibility. Although these laws have good intentions, their result has allowed shooters to avoid justice, and for families to not have an opportunity for closure in these tragic deaths.

Stand your ground is a solution in search of a problem, and it’s a terrible solution, with tragic results; like the death of our son. These laws need to be revised to require prosecutorial or judicial review.

We have created this movement to honor our son who taught us that live is truly beautiful. Please join the Change for Trayvon Martin movement today so that we can create change that saves lives and prevents parents from experiencing the grief that we have had to endure.

Your generous contributions will be used to educate voters, candidates, and elected officials on the impact these laws have on victims and families.

Join the movement today and help us create Change for Trayvon.

So they want anybody who used the SYG defense to be thrown in jail and punished even if  a person really was standing their ground?

I seriously do not get these people.

We need to include a link back to articles and websites if we're going to quote.  Please post the link and I'll add it to your post.  Thank you, Muffy.

Here is the Link: http://changefortrayvon.com/ <<<<<<< Edit to add link provided by iluvmua.  Thank you!  MB
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:59:29 AM by MuffyBee » Logged
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »

From the article which was posted by iluvmua earlier today...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-zimmerman-discovery-complaints-20121015,0,4408070.story

Defense says state not turning over all evidence
7:00 p.m. EDT, October 15, 2012

::snipping2::
In a separate motion filed Monday, West asked the judge to order Corey's office to surrender photos in their original, digital format from one witness and from Sanford Police Officer Mike Wagner, who photographed Trayvon's body and Zimmerman's injuries the night of the shooting.

He also asked for the original audio recording Crump made when he interviewed a 16-year-old girl, perhaps the state's most important witness, who said she was on the phone with Trayvon when he and Zimmerman first exchanged words.

West asked for the names of everyone in the room during that interview, information about how ABC News got a copy of the recording and any reports by state or federal agencies that had access to the recording.

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2012, 10:50:37 AM »

Ok, so according to the website TM's parents set up they want the stand your ground laws to go bye bye.

Our lives were flipped upside down on February 26, 2012 when our son, Trayvon Martin, was taken from us. If losing our son was not enough, we were forced to live with the fact that his killer was out in the community while hiding behind a law that allows individuals to shoot first and ask questions later.

Stand your ground laws exist in 32 states across our nation, and have allowed people to escape responsibility. Although these laws have good intentions, their result has allowed shooters to avoid justice, and for families to not have an opportunity for closure in these tragic deaths.

Stand your ground is a solution in search of a problem, and it’s a terrible solution, with tragic results; like the death of our son. These laws need to be revised to require prosecutorial or judicial review.

We have created this movement to honor our son who taught us that live is truly beautiful. Please join the Change for Trayvon Martin movement today so that we can create change that saves lives and prevents parents from experiencing the grief that we have had to endure.

Your generous contributions will be used to educate voters, candidates, and elected officials on the impact these laws have on victims and families.

Join the movement today and help us create Change for Trayvon.

So they want anybody who used the SYG defense to be thrown in jail and punished even if  a person really was standing their ground?

I seriously do not get these people.

We need to include a link back to articles and websites if we're going to quote.  Please post the link and I'll add it to your post.  Thank you, Muffy.

Here is the Link: http://changefortrayvon.com/ <<<<<Edit to add link provided by iluvmua.  Thank you!  MB

Here is the Link: http://changefortrayvon.com/  I've added it to both the original post and above quote.  Thank you!  MB
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:01:25 AM by MuffyBee » Logged
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2012, 12:32:02 PM »

I feel nothing but compassion for the parents who had their young son taken from them.  I do not judge their desire to try and prevent this type of tragedy from happening again and I do not find them repulsive, they seem like caring parents to me.  I wish for them healing and am glad they are getting the trial they and Trayvon deserve.

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #384 on: October 16, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »

Maybe I should have clarified, I do not find them repulsive, what I find repulsive are their actions .

This is not a stand your ground case, it is a self defense case.

I would have more compassion for them if they decided not to lie from the very beginning.

They also need to quit playing the race card, this is not a racial issue.

maybe they don't fully understand the Stand your ground law. But it's like they are asking for anyone who uses that law to be punished and it simply is not fair to those who really do have a stand your ground case.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #385 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »

My opinion...when did it become vogue to make money from your dead child?
I don't agree with this type of money making at all...

I am all for trying to prevent another family from suffering a tragic death of a child, but not while trying to pad your own bank account while doing so.
Where is all the donated money going to? Are the parents reporting this money as income! As well, I don't think that GZ should make money off of this tragedy as he already has as well. Jmo...paying off credit cards, paying off cars etc...not what the money was intended for. It should be going for the defense. The wife could be working . I don 't think that anyone would harm her. Most folks would not even know who she is. Did she finish her nurses training!

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #386 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »

From what I understand Tracy and Sabryna only want closer investigative review when an individual claims the SYG law as a defense in the killing of another.  Even in a case of self defense most of the time the person is arrested unless it is very clear from the onset that the deceased intended to cause great bodily harm to the killer, ie... entered their home through a window with a weapon, many witnesses giving statements indicating it was an act of self defense, etc...

Based on the events that occurred between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman and the subsequent actions of LE what these parents are doing makes sense and I support it.  I don't want people to be able to kill another person, claim SYG, then a quick and shoddy investigation is done.

Anytime a life is taken we need to be sure the person who has taken it and the events leading up to it is investigated thoroughly and not just take the killer on his or her word.

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #387 on: October 16, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »

I am all for trying to prevent another family from suffering a tragic death of a child, but not while trying to pad your own bank account while doing so.
Where is all the donated money going to? Are the parents reporting this money as income! As well, I don't think that GZ should make money off of this tragedy as he already has as well. Jmo...paying off credit cards, paying off cars etc...not what the money was intended for. It should be going for the defense. The wife could be working . I don 't think that anyone would harm her. Most folks would not even know who she is. Did she finish her nurses training!

It's a fair question Cookie and if you go to the Trayvon Martin web site I think you might find an inkling of where the money is going.

Someone here, maybe you, posted they have raised $35,000 plus.  IMO that's really not much money for what they are trying to accomplish.  The website indicates the funds are going toward awareness and lobbying, both of which cost money.  If they accept tax exempt donations then I believe they must publicly show where the money is going.  I would be willing to bet this information is available though I wouldn't know where to begin to look.

There is no evidence to date that I'm aware of that they are spending the donated funds in inappropriate ways.

I see FB pages on almost all of these missing and murdered people requesting donations with no indication of where the money will be going.  I can remember when a person died it was a glass container on the counter at the bank or a blurb in the newspaper 'money can be sent to ____'. 
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #388 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »

The website only says that they will not be making any money off of this at all.

I don't know If I believe that. 

GZ has not even gone to trial yet (if he does) and they want to make money for what reason?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/trayvon-martin-family-sued_n_1747835.html

The Justice fro Trayvon site got $35,000 and some change. It seems to me they are trying to make as much money as they can, any way they can.

JMO

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #389 on: October 16, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »

This article states that Trayvon Martin's mother is seeking more than $75,000 in damages from the homeowners association.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/06/13149803-mother-of-trayvon-martin-seeks-damages-compensation-in-sons-death?lite

Article from August 6th.

They are putting the car way before the horse.

Let GZ have his trial first ( if it comes to that(

iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »

Anyways, I want to know why the prosecution is not handing over all the evidence.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #391 on: October 17, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/17/george-zimmerman-trial-set-for-june-10-defense-attorney-says/?hpt=hp_t3

October 17th, 2012
09:45 AM ET
George Zimmerman trial set for June 10, defense attorney says

George Zimmerman will go on trial June 10 for the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman's lawyer said Wednesday.

The neighborhood watch volunteer is charged with second-degree murder.  Zimmerman has claimed self-defense in the February 26 shooting, saying Martin charged him after the two exchanged words, knocked him to the ground and banged his head repeatedly against a concrete sidewalk.

Prosecutors say Zimmerman profiled Martin as a criminal and killed him, even though the teenager was doing nothing wrong.

Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #392 on: October 17, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-docket-sounding-20121017,0,3121347.story

George Zimmerman murder trial set for June 10
11:57 a.m. EDT, October 17, 2012

This morning, Circuit Judge Debra Nelson set Zimmerman’s trial for June 10. Attorneys in the case said they estimate the trial will last three weeks. Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda said he expected jury selection would take longer than the trial itself.

The hearing, known as a docket sounding, lasted about six minutes. Though the judge set a date, Zimmerman attorney Mark O’Mara was noncommittal about when he’d be fully prepared.

“I don’t know today when we’ll be ready for trial,” he said.

After the hearing, Zimmerman's defense tweeted he will likely seek a hearing under the controversial self-defense law commonly known as “stand your ground” in the months leading up to trial.

The "self-defense immunity hearing [is] likely to be requested for April or May," the tweet said.

Zimmerman’s wife Shellie Zimmerman, 25, is charged with perjury, and her attorney was also in court for this morning. Prosecutors say she lied at her husband’s first bond hearing when she testified that the couple was broke.

Prosecutors agreed with Shellie Zimmerman’s lawyer to delay the next hearing in her case until Dec. 12. No trial date was set in that case.

Neither defendant appeared in court today. Both are living in hiding in Seminole County.

Wednesday’s hearing was Nelson’s first in the George Zimmerman case. She noted that she is set to be reassigned to civil and divorce cases in January, but said she will keep the case. The change in assignments, she said, should give her more flexibility and time for hearings.

Nearly two weeks ago, O’Mara formally asked the judge to delay the case. This week, co-counsel Don West filed paperwork, complaining that the special prosecutor in the case has failed to turn over all the evidence that’s required and had been uncooperative.

There’s another hearing in his case Friday. Among the things the judge will then hear is an argument about whether to allow O’Mara to subpoena Trayvon’s school records and whether the public should know about future defense subpoenas and what evidence they produce.

She’ll also hear argument about whether prosecutors are entitled to George Zimmerman’s medical records.
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #393 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »

Do all SYG/ SD cases have to go to trial?

I hope George is found not guilty, unless the Prosecution has some earth shattering evidence  that proves that he did not act in self defense.

JMO
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »

I don't think so, iluvmua.  If the judge dismisses the charges during the "self-defense immunity hearing," the case does not go to trial.  If it goes to trial, the defense will probably use the self-defense argument.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/16/sanford-fla-trying-to-cope-with-trayvon-martin-killing/1637439/
Sanford, Fla., struggles to cope with Trayvon killing
3:01PM EDT October 17. 2012 - SANFORD, FLA

A trial date of June 10, 2013, was set by the judge Wednesday morning. Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's lawyer, had said earlier that he didn't expect the trial to occur this year. O'Mara plans to have a self-defense immunity hearing where the judge, if she believes Zimmerman's claims of self-defense, could drop the charges.

“I think the facts seem to support that though we have a stand-your-ground immunity hearing, what this really is, is a simple, self-defense immunity hearing,” the defense attorney continued.

The second-degree murder charge would be dismissed immediately should a judge side with Zimmerman in the pretrial hearing.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #395 on: October 18, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/278677/250/New-Black-Panther-Party-chief-of-staff-arrested

New Black Panther Party chief of staff Michelle Williams arrested
1:40 PM, Oct 18, 2012

Tampa, Florida -- The chief of staff of the controversial New Black Panthers political party is accused of selling a home she didn't own.

40-year-old Michelle Williams was arrested Tuesday night on a charge of Second Degree Grand Theft.  She was later released on $7,500 bond.
Williams, a community activist who is the chief of staff for the New Black Panther Party, came under fire earlier this year when she called for a "dead or alive" bounty on George Zimmerman.
Tuesday night's arrest is not Williams' first brush with the law.  Williams, who was previously known as Michelle Conyers, has been arrested on charges ranging from aggravated assault with a handgun to fraudulent use of personal information, fraudulent use of a credit card, petty theft, two previous counts of grand theft, two counts of forgery and exploitation of an elderly person.

She entered guilty pleas to several of the charges and was sentenced to restitution and probation, which she completed successfully. Before Tuesday, she hadn't been involved with the court system since 2005.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #396 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »

http://www.wina.com/George-Zimmerman-s-medical-records-targeted-on-eve/11458736?newsId=172377

George Zimmerman's medical records targeted on eve of hearing
Posted: Thursday, 18 October 2012 05:13PM

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The family of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teenager killed by Florida neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, called on Thursday for access to Zimmerman's confidential medical records if a judge approves a request for access to their son's school transcripts and other private documents.

Debra Nelson, the judge who set a tentative June 10 date for Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, could approve a defense request for Martin's school and social media records at a hearing scheduled for Friday.

Prosecutors want the judge to seal any records obtained by the defense until the court decides whether the defense is entitled to those records, and whether they should be made public.

"George Zimmerman's medical records are far more relevant than Trayvon Martin's school records. They go directly to his state of mind when he pulled the trigger and took Trayvon's life," Ben Crump, lawyer for Trayvon's parents Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, told Reuters on Thursday.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #397 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »

http://www.macon.com/2012/10/18/2218137/prosecutors-want-george-zimmermans.html

Prosecutors want George Zimmerman's lawyers muzzled
Published: October 18, 2012

MIAMI — The Duval County state attorney has a message for George Zimmerman's defense attorney: Zip it.

Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda filed papers Thursday in Seminole County Circuit Court asking a judge to muzzle defense attorney Mark O'Mara, whom the prosecutor accuses of taking to the Internet to try his case in the media.

"Unless defense counsel stops talking to the media about the case, in person or by use of defendant's website, it will (be) more difficult to find jurors who have not been influenced by the media accounts of the case," de la Rionda said. " ... An impartial jury could never be seated."

De la Rionda asked Circuit Judge Debra Nelson to issue a gag order, which would silence the defense, prosecutors, law enforcement and any of the lawyers' employees. If the judge agrees, lawyers and investigators would not be allowed to make any statements outside the courtroom about the case, evidence, credibility of witnesses or possible sentences. If the judge allows it, they would even be kept from opining about Zimmerman's guilt or innocence.

It's the second time de la Rionda makes such a request. He made the same motion in April before a different judge. That judge declined the request, but was later forced off the case for other reasons.
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #398 on: October 18, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »

Maybe I should have clarified, I do not find them repulsive, what I find repulsive are their actions .

I would have more compassion for them if they decided not to lie from the very beginning.

maybe they don't fully understand the Stand your ground law. But it's like they are asking for anyone who uses that law to be punished and it simply is not fair to those who really do have a stand your ground case.

Zimmerman seeks ‘stand’ law hearing

Zimmerman's defense team tweeted after the hearing that they will likely ask for a “stand your ground” hearing in April or May. Under Florida law, Zimmerman can request the hearing and argue his self-defense case before the trial. If the judge sides with

Zimmerman, the murder charge will be dismissed and there will be no trial.

Nelson took over the case in August after an appeals court said Judge Kenneth Lester should be removed for making disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character.

more....   http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11383&Itemid=331
Edit to add date of article.  MB  October 18, 2012
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:36:34 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Heart
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #399 on: October 18, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »

Zimmerman seeks ‘stand’ law hearing

Zimmerman's defense team tweeted after the hearing that they will likely ask for a “stand your ground” hearing in April or May. Under Florida law, Zimmerman can request the hearing and argue his self-defense case before the trial. If the judge sides with

Zimmerman, the murder charge will be dismissed and there will be no trial.

Nelson took over the case in August after an appeals court said Judge Kenneth Lester should be removed for making disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character.

more....   http://www.sfltimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11383&Itemid=331

The way that I read this (from the entire article) is that they are doing this as part of a strategy...they are allowed to present it as such and then if it is accepted then the actual trial could be dismissed.  If I were his attorney, I would try it too.  But, from past reading his attorney doesn't want this to be a stand your ground case. 

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.