March 28, 2024, 07:10:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #3 7/12/12 - 6/14/13  (Read 432094 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #640 on: April 08, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-trayvon-hoa-settlement-not-confidential-20130408,0,5675871.story

Seminole clerk: I'll unseal settlement with Trayvon's parents
11:02 a.m. EDT, April 8, 2013

That secret homeowners association settlement with Trayvon Martin's family may not remain secret much longer.

Seminole County Clerk of Courts Maryanne Morse has written a letter to Trayvon's family attorney, Benjamin Crump, telling him that she doesn't think it meets the standard of a confidential filing so she intends to make it public in 10 days.

Even so, the total dollar figure paid out by the association will likely remain a secret. That's because Crump edited it out before he put the 12-page document in the court file Thursday.

It's believed to be more than $1 million.

Part of the 12-page settlement popped into public view for a few minutes Friday. The day before, Crump had made it part of the official court record in the second-degree murder case against former Neighborhood Watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

Crump had instructed the clerk's office to seal the settlement, but for a few minutes Friday morning, the first five pages were available for public review. The clerk's office then blacked out all but the first page, which is a cover sheet filed by Crump.

After further consideration, however, Morse decided that none of it should be kept secret, so she wrote Crump, telling him she would unseal it in 10 days.

Why Crump had it placed in the file in the first place remains a mystery. He did not return a phone call Friday from the Orlando Sentinel. But his clients, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, were deposed last month by Zimmerman's attorneys and were likely asked about the settlement.

In an interview last month, when asked if the settlement was a specific figure between $1 million and $2 million, Crump would not say.

"I have no comment on the subject," he said. "I know you didn't get that from me."

Trayvon's parents did not sue the homeowner's association. They settled before their wrongful death claim reached that point.
 ::snipping2::
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #641 on: April 09, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-crump-appeal-20130409,0,6494785.story

Appeals court: We'll decide if Crump must answer questions from George Zimmerman's lawyers
10:00 a.m. EDT, April 9, 2013

A Daytona Beach state appeals court has agreed to decide whether Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Trayvon Martin's family, should have to answer questions under oath from attorneys for George Zimmerman.
Crump and his lawyer contend that he should not have to answer questions from Zimmerman because he's a lawyer representing Trayvon's family and what he knows is privileged.

He also says he's entitled to additional protection because he intends to sue Zimmerman on behalf of Trayvon's parents, and courts traditionally give opposing counsel an additional shield.

Defense attorneys most want to ask Crump about his handling of a young Miami woman, the state's most important witness, who was on the phone with Trayvon moments before he was killed.

Crump got her involved in the case by recording an interview with her March 19, 2012, one that did not involve police or prosecutors then holding a news conference and playing portions for reporters.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #642 on: April 09, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/4/9/george_zimmerman_s_l.html

Court to hear George Zimmerman's appeal for Crump deposition
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 11:54 AM

SANFORD --
George Zimmerman's defense lawyers have gone one step further in their push to question the attorney representing Trayvon Martin's family about a deposition he took of Martin's girlfriend, known only as "Witness 8."

Defense attorneys have now asked the Fifth District Court of Appeal to reverse Judge Debra Nelson's ruling, in which she denied their request to question Benjamin Crump.

A document dated Monday showed the appeals court will hear the defense's appeal, ordering state prosecutors to show cause as to why the defense should not be allowed to depose Crump.

VIEW NEW DOCUMENT: Appeals Court Order to Show Cause (PDF)

State prosecutors now have 20 days from Monday -- until April 28 -- to show cause.
---------------------
Document link:  http://www.cfnews13.com/content/dam/news/static/cfnews13/documents/2013/04/zimmerman-5dca-appeal-order-040813.pdf
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #643 on: April 11, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/state/george-zimmermans-mom-thanks-supporters-chastises-media-for-trayvon-martin-case-coverage-in-letter
George Zimmerman's mom thanks supporters, chastises media in letter on arrest anniversary
April 11, 2013

SANFORD - April 11 marks the one-year anniversary since George Zimmerman was arrested for the murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, and George’s brother, Robert, has released a letter from their mother.

In the letter said to be written in Spanish from Gladys Zimmerman and translated to English by Robert, she thanks those who have supported George, and she has chastised the media for swaying public opinion with a “false narrative”.
Read the entire letter from Zimmerman’s mother below:

FROM THE DESK OF ROBERT ZIMMERMAN JR

Dear Friends: Our Mother, Gladys Zimmerman, has written a letter on the occasion of the 1 year anniversary of her  son George's arrest. She has asked me to publish the following letter:

Today, April 11, 2013 is the anniversary of the most unfortunate arrest of our son George. I am writing from my heart and with incalculable gratitude to our family members, dearest friends, and those we have not personally met but who have nonetheless offered their unwavering moral and spiritual support. Those who read this letter should do so of their own free will, and do so because they are interested in its message. If you read this letter with the hopes of finding material to mock or rebuke - please stop reading now, because this letter is not intended for you.

April 11 2012 will be forever remembered by the Zimmerman family as the day the justice system failed us as Americans, and as a consequence an innocent man was arrested for a crime he did not commit, solely to placate the masses. George was charged with murder. By confusing the public and manipulating perception in order to sway the "court of public opinion", Benjamin Crump & co. finally achieved their "first base" victory.

A year later, we find ourselves - as Mr. Crump put it - in "third base" posture: we are awaiting trial. Throughout the past year, as evidence came forth and was later published, we have fought at every turn to be certain George is afforded a fair trial and equal protection under the law. It is imperative now more than ever that George receive fair treatment by the judicial system, as this is the quintessential birthright of every American.

From the beginning, this case has been heavily publicized and a false narrative was developed surrounding a very real tragedy when there was little evidence available to the public.

It is astounding that despite the vast amount of information and evidence now available that supports George's self -defense claim, the majority of the media avoids its publication. It is indeed alarming that even more media outlets do not regret misinforming the public and have not taken steps to retract the fabrications they are responsible for perpetuating.
Read more...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #644 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »

I find her letter an insult, though I realize it is not intended for me.

I do not believe Zimmerman should be tried for murder because Crump, Trayvon's parents, the media, or anyone else has convinced me of that.  I have analyzed what we know about that night and formed my own opinion.

An unarmed teenager was shot and killed by a man who took it upon himself to follow the teen and was angry that an unknown black male was in his neighborhood.

The media has done the opposite of what George's mother claims IMO.  There was plenty of attack against Angela Corey, Trayvon, his parents, witnesses, etc... 

George chased down and KILLED a person.  What makes his mother think it should not be investigated or tried in a court of law?

A trial is warranted.  Let the outcome be decided by a jury.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-trayvon-hoa-settlement-motion-20130411,0,1837211.story

George Zimmerman's attorneys: Unseal HOA settlement with Trayvon's parents
7:36 p.m. EDT, April 11, 2013

Attorneys for George Zimmerman on Thursday filed paperwork, asking a judge to unseal details of a $1 million-plus settlement that a homeowners association paid the parents of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black 17-year-old killed last year by a Sanford Neighborhood Watch volunteer.

Zimmerman's attorneys say it's important because it shows a "potential bias" by Trayvon's parents, who are expected to testify at Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial.
The issue became news last week when Benjamin Crump, the attorney who negotiated the settlement on behalf of Trayvon's parents, placed a redacted copy in Zimmerman's criminal case file at the Seminole County Courthouse.

Crump instructed employees of Maryanne Morse, the elected clerk of courts, to seal the file, and they did, but the next day Morse wrote him a letter, saying that she plans to unseal it in 10 days because it doesn't meet the legal standard of a confidential filing.

On Thursday Zimmerman attorney Mark O'Mara filed paperwork siding with Morse.

It will help jurors interpret the testimony of Trayvon's mother and father, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, O'Mara wrote.

"The receipt of monies ... is evidence of potential bias which could affect the testimony of these witnesses," O'Mara wrote.

Crump said the settlement, which has already been paid Trayvon's parents, should remain confidential because it's not relevant in the criminal case.
---------------------
Defense document to unseal Settlement Agreement: http://www.gzdocs.com/documents/0413/mot_to_unseal.pdf
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martins-family-clash-arrest-anniversary/story?id=18932266#.UWdPxb4o7IU

George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin's Family Clash on Arrest Anniversary
April 11, 2013

The parents of George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin clashed with emotional statements today, the one year anniversary of the Zimmerman's arrest for shooting the unarmed Florida teenager.
Martin family attorneys have said there was no justification for the shooting, and in today's statement said that he was arrested because "there was evidence to charge George Zimmerman for second-degree murder for profiling, pursuing, and killing our unarmed teenage son."

"For the Zimmerman family to allege that the justice system doesn't work, simply because they are unhappy their son was arrested in the first place, is disingenuous and disrespectful to the very system that is currently affording him every available opportunity to defend himself," the statement said. "The arrest of an admitted killer is not a violation of due process, it is due process."

The family added, "We continue to pray that our son's death will serve as a catalyst in preventing other senseless acts of gun violence."
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #647 on: April 12, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »

I do not believe Zimmerman should be tried for murder because Crump, Trayvon's parents, the media, or anyone else has convinced me of that.  I have analyzed what we know about that night and formed my own opinion.

An unarmed teenager was shot and killed by a man who took it upon himself to follow the teen and was angry that an unknown black male was in his neighborhood.

The media has done the opposite of what George's mother claims IMO.  There was plenty of attack against Angela Corey, Trayvon, his parents, witnesses, etc... 

George chased down and KILLED a person.  What makes his mother think it should not be investigated or tried in a court of law?

There is NO evidence to suggest that GZ chased down TM.

He was going back to his vehicle when the attack happened.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #648 on: April 12, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-defense-fund-20130412,0,212506.story

George Zimmerman defense fund running deficit
6:55 a.m. EDT, April 12, 2013

George Zimmerman's defense fund is running a deficit of about $10,000, his attorneys said in a new website posting breaking down their most recent expenses.

The trust fund has raised more than $14,000 since March 3 but Zimmerman's living, security and case-related expenses far exceed the donations, according to the GZ defense fund website.

The announcement came on the same day Zimmerman's mother publicized a letter remarking on the one-year anniversary of her son's arrest. The letter elicited a counter response from the Martin family.

"The Zimmerman defense is running at a deficit, and it is unclear how the defense will be funded moving forward," according to the website message posted Thursday.

Zimmerman's defense team broke down their bills categorically, indicating the bulk of their expenses has gone to hiring experts, paying for court reporters in depositions and paying court fees.
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #649 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »

Witnesses and forensics will show that Zimmerman went after Trayvon.  Here is one example:

http://trayvon.axiomamnesia.com/people/witnesses/witness-16-files-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-case/

The second video is an interview of one witness who states that no attack was occurring at the time of the shooting.  She states that Zimmerman went after Trayvon with the weapon after the altercation.

I will post more as I have time maybe later today.  There is a ton of evidence indicating Zimmerman did go after Trayvon.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #650 on: April 12, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »

Witnesses and forensics will show that Zimmerman went after Trayvon.  Here is one example:

http://trayvon.axiomamnesia.com/people/witnesses/witness-16-files-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-case/

The second video is an interview of one witness who states that no attack was occurring at the time of the shooting.  She states that Zimmerman went after Trayvon with the weapon after the altercation.

I will post more as I have time maybe later today.  There is a ton of evidence indicating Zimmerman did go after Trayvon.

For what it's worth, I believe there has been a lot of misinformation in this case, whether intentional or just plain sloppy errors in reporting.  At the end of the day, until this case goes to trial, I'm not sure we can really know what is the truth, and perhaps not even then. JMHO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
iluvmua
Scared Monkey

« Reply #651 on: April 12, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

Mary Cutler and her roommate are not credible witnesses, they didn't see anything even though they said they did.

IF the prosecution has hard evidence that GZ did in fact go after TM I will gladly change my tune. I just have not seen it yet. Everything (That has been released so far) points to self defense.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #652 on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-sanford-police-chief-knock-and-talk-20130414,0,4331906.story

New Sanford police chief: 'No pipe dream that things are going to change overnight'
April 14, 2013

When residents of Goldsboro, a historically black neighborhood in Sanford, see a large group of police officers knocking on doors in the next few days, it will not be a roundup of suspects or a warrants sweep, new police Chief Cecil Smith said.

It will be a "knock-and-talk," an attempt to get officers out of their squad cars and change the department's image in a neighborhood where many residents have grown openly hostile to police.

"My goal is to get people out of the mind-set that 'police' means going to jail," Smith said Tuesday, one week after being sworn in.

Smith, 52, has stepped into an unenviable job: taking over a department that one year ago was reviled as racist and incompetent for choosing not to arrest George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black 17-year-old.

That decision set off rallies across the country and beyond and brought national civil-rights leaders to Sanford — among them the Rev. Al Sharpton, who told a crowd of 500 people at Sanford's Civic Center: "You're going to go down as the Birmingham and Selma of the 21st century."
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #653 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »

Florida police officer fired over targets with likeness to Trayvon Martin

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51539766/ns/us_news/t/florida-police-officer-fired-over-targets-likeness-trayvon-martin

King, who described himself as a 25-year law enforcement officer and a longtime firearms instructor, was fired on Friday after bringing the targets to the Brevard Community College shooting range in Cocoa, Florida, in early April while on duty.

He described the targets as a silhouette of a faceless person wearing a hoodie with his hands in his pockets and holding two non-threatening items. He compared their use to other realistic training sessions depicting bank robberies, traffic stops and school shootings.

The shooting target image was even holding skittles.   
What if he had created a target using George Zimmerman's image?   
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #654 on: April 15, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »

http://www.google.com/search?q=shooting+target+image+of+trayvon+martin&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MU5sUaDNIM-UigKUtYDACw&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1191&bih=583

Google images of the target.  Hopefully the link works. 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #655 on: April 15, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-trayvon-hoa-settlement-crump-argument-20130415,0,3666179.story

Crump: Don't unseal the $1 million-plus settlement Trayvon's parents received
12:34 p.m. EDT, April 15, 2013

Benjamin Crump has formally asked Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson to make sure the specific amount of the $1 million-plus settlement Trayvon Martin's parents reached with George Zimmerman's home owners' association be kept secret.
On April 5, Seminole County Clerk of Courts Maryanne Morse notified Crump that she intended to unseal it, saying it did not meet the legal standard of a confidential filing.

Morse today said that Nelson will now decide whether it should be unsealed. It's not clear when she will rule.
In paperwork made public today, Crump called O'Mara's suggestion that Tracy Martin had a financial motive to change his story "unintelligible" and "devoid of merit."

He changed his story, Crump wrote, because he has since heard a clearer version of the recording and when he first heard it, was in "an extreme emotional state."

Crump asked the judge to only block the payment amount from public view.

Keeping it secret "is essential to avoid irreparable harm in the negotiations and exposure of other claims/lawsuits," Crump wrote.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #656 on: April 15, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-trayvon-hoa-settlement-crump-argument-20130415,0,3666179.story

Crump: Don't unseal the $1 million-plus settlement Trayvon's parents received
12:34 p.m. EDT, April 15, 2013

Benjamin Crump has formally asked Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson to make sure the specific amount of the $1 million-plus settlement Trayvon Martin's parents reached with George Zimmerman's home owners' association be kept secret.
On April 5, Seminole County Clerk of Courts Maryanne Morse notified Crump that she intended to unseal it, saying it did not meet the legal standard of a confidential filing.

Morse today said that Nelson will now decide whether it should be unsealed. It's not clear when she will rule.
In paperwork made public today, Crump called O'Mara's suggestion that Tracy Martin had a financial motive to change his story "unintelligible" and "devoid of merit."

He changed his story, Crump wrote, because he has since heard a clearer version of the recording and when he first heard it, was in "an extreme emotional state."

Crump asked the judge to only block the payment amount from public view.

Keeping it secret "is essential to avoid irreparable harm in the negotiations and exposure of other claims/lawsuits," Crump wrote.

Greed is what it amounts to...pure greed.  Jmo

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #657 on: April 15, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »

Cookie, respectfully, in my opinion the Martin's are holding the homeowner's association accountable for allowing Zimmerman to police their neighborhood.  If the insurer of the homeowner's association settled there is a good chance they know the Martin's have evidence and can prove that the homeowner's association knew Zimmerman was at times armed, the number of times he called 9-11 was problematic, and he is responsible for the death of their son. 

I don't see this as greed at all.  This is partial justice for the death of their child and it underscores the importance that under a neighborhood watch (as created by the homeowner's association) there is the responsibility to ensure innocent individuals walking in their neighborhood are not followed, the neighborhood watch person is not armed, the neighborhood watch person holds no grudge against person's of color in their neighborhood, and the neighborhood watch person does not assume so frequently that people, particularly those of color, should all be under automatic suspicion.

Were I to believe my child was murdered under similar circumstances and it was clear the murderer had called 9-11 numerous times in the months prior and that he was armed, and it was clear the homeowner's association knew of these issues, I too would hold them accountable.

It would have been far better for the homeowner's association, if they were so concerned about breakins in their neighborhood, to hire legitimate security personnel to patrol and watch over their neighborhood.  Security personnel are actually trained on what to do in the event of suspicious activity and they are trained not to assume suspicious activity is happening when in fact it is not.

JMO.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #658 on: April 15, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »

But it all costs money to hire security. This area from what I understand had been hit hard by the economy as a lot of areas in Florida has been. The homeowners probably could not afford it. It is nt inexpensive to hire professional security which  the homeowners are expected to pay for  Trayvon's parents went after the association because of the insurance and deeper pockets..

There is no proof that the homeowners association knew that GZ carried a gun or that he was a threat to anyone that I know of. They probably felt that he was just trying to help out by patrolling the area? Dunno,,and further, there is no proof hat GZ targeted Trayvon excuse of his color. That is your assumption?
I still see Trayvon's parents as greedy and cashing in on their son's death. If not, they would not have gotten in with scum bucket Al Sharpton who  is an ambulance chaser in the highest. Other things that they have done etc....sorry, but that is how I feel. I don't like any of these people. Including George Zimmerman.
All just my opinion of course. None of us know  what happened that night. Frankly, I think that they settled too soon. One would think that GZ should be found guilty before compensation is paid out.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #659 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »

^^^^just to add, I feel sorry for them that they lost their son. Just don't like the tactics that they chose.

Also, typo above...because of Trayvon's color.... not excuse...ipad changes the words sometimes...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.