April 19, 2024, 06:22:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James Cockayne, New Hope, PA Murdered 6/07 St John/U.S. Virgin Islands  (Read 9659 times)
BIGORANGECRUSH
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: July 08, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »

A Pa guy was murdered on STJ last week. Any details?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:14:30 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:35:20 PM »

DId not see that BOC.. we will be on the lookout.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:51 PM »

St. John  Shocked  I love that island!!!  Sad truth is, even though it is USVI, they (the island people) - even there, do not like us (Americans).  I wonder if this man was into the 'shady' life or was it just some random freak thing.   

I will try to see if there are any updates.  What a shame!!!  What's up - people can't even go on vacation anymore???

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:47 PM »

A Pa guy was murdered on STJ last week. Any details?

http://www.phillyfuture.org/node/5518

I saw something more recent than the above story...but I can't find it now, sorry.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:00:48 PM »

http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?v=d&i=&s=News:Local&p=1176614541 AND

http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?v=d&i=&s=News:Local&p=1176614601

PIX of suspect in above link

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

The Intelligencer
By RILEY YATES
The Intelligence9/20/07
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/113-08302007-1399906.html
snipped)
On Friday, one of two men accused of first-degree murder was freed from jail after making bail.

Anselmo Boston, 31, of St. Croix, was released to house arrest on St. John and will have to wear a monitoring bracelet on his ankle, Frazer said.

Boston had been held on $100,000 bail, with 10 percent in cash or $200,000 in property needed to be posted to win release.

His bail was set by a judge during an Aug. 17 court hearing in which the prosecutor's office showed up unprepared and more than 30 minutes late, according to the family and island media accounts.
(snipped)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:12:02 PM »

Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm US/Eastern
3 Found Guilty In Island Murder Of Bucks Co. Man
U.S. Virgin Islands (AP) ― A jury on Friday found three men guilty in the killing of a 21-year-old Pennsylvania man outside a St. John bar last year.

A judge said the men will be sentenced Nov. 14 for the beating and stabbing of James Cockayne of New Hope, Pennsylvania, who had moved to the U.S. Virgin Islands and planned to work as a boating instructor.

Jahleel Ward was found guilty of first-degree murder and other charges. Anselmo Boston and Kamal Thomas were found guilty on two counts each of third-degree assault, among other charges.

"My son's gone," said William Cockayne, the victim's father. "But I think the verdict was fair given the evidence."

The three were arrested after Cockayne's parents appeared on U.S. news programs and accused Virgin Islands detectives of botching the investigation.

Ward was arrested in June of this year, while Boston and Thomas were arrested in August 2007.

Lawyers for the three men have accused prosecutors of filing false charges following intense pressure from the news media.

Boston's attorney, Ben Currence, said the stabbing caused it to become a high-profile case.

"I think the government wouldn't have been as wild in terms of the broad net that they threw to try and get someone," he said.

Attorneys for Ward and Thomas could not be reached for comment.

Witnesses said Cockayne was drinking at a St. John bar on June 19, 2007, when Boston accused him of having kicked his girlfriend's car, according to prosecutor Brenda Scales.

Cockayne was then hit in the head with a pool cue before he and Thomas were ordered to leave the bar, according to court documents. He was then attacked outside near a clothing store.
http://cbs3.com/local/James.Cockayne.Bucks.2.838004.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »

Judge Hollar Postpones Sentencing in Cockayne Murder Case       
Written by Author as indicated     
Sunday, 16 November 2008 
Jahlil Ward’s Murder Conviction Contested; Assault Convictions of Thomas and Boston Reduced

By Joseph Tsidulko – ST. THOMAS — Judge Brenda Hollar postponed sentencing Friday for the three St. John men convicted in connection with Jamie Cockayne’s slaying in Cruz Bay and instead heard arguments from defense attorneys seeking to mitigate a V.I. Superior Court jury’s verdict in the high-profile murder case.

Hollar withheld ruling on a bevy of post-trial motions, but did make the decision to reduce a single felony assault count against Kamal Thomas, 19, and another against Anselmo Boston, 32, to the misdemeanor crime of simple assault. The judge dismissed corresponding charges of using wooden two-by-fours as deadly weapons during those assaults.

The judge did not make any immediate rulings in regard to 20-year-old Jahlil Ward, the only defendant convicted of the most serious crime of first-degree murder who now faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Prosecutors argued at last month’s trial that Ward fatally stabbed Cockayne eight times just after midnight on June 19, 2007, about a half-hour after the Pennsylvania man got into an altercation with Boston and Thomas inside Cruz Bay’s Front Yard bar.

Largely due to a media campaign waged by Cockayne’s family, who became frustrated with the pace, competence and transparency of the police investigation, the brutal attack generated unfavorable national headlines regarding the safety of tourists visiting the Virgin Islands and a significant amount of negative publicity for St. John.

On October 10, six men and six women convicted Ward of assault and murder. But the jurors were not swayed by prosecutors’ arguments that the multiple attacks on Cockayne that night were all part of an orchestrated series of events, with the three defendants acting in concert and all equally culpable in the murder.

They acquitted Boston and Thomas of murder but found each man guilty of two counts of third-degree assault and two counts of using dangerous weapons, corresponding to attacks on Cockayne at Front Yard, then near Dolphin Market after he was followed out of the bar.

Friday was scheduled as a sentencing date, but because of the serious crimes and nuanced legal issues involved in the case, Hollar told the court she believed it prudent to entertain briefs from all attorneys before rendering decisions on the multiple motions before her. The judge said she will set a new sentencing date once she receives written arguments by a December 5 deadline.

Ward’s attorney, Michael Quinn, argued Friday that no evidence was presented at trial that proved the stabbing was premeditated, a necessary condition for first-degree murder.

He also argued that prosecution witnesses who incriminated his client — witnesses discovered by an investigator working for the other defendants — directly contradicted the testimony of an eyewitness at the crime scene.

Quinn continued by telling Hollar he believed testimony was improperly introduced at trial about a previous crime committed by his client.

All those legal errors amounted to a miscarriage of justice, according to Quinn, who requested a new trial.

Hollar said Quinn opened the door for testimony about Ward’s previous crime when he pointed out while cross-examining a witness that his client was seriously wounded in a shotgun attack in 2006. Prosecutors countered by telling the jury that shooting was in retaliation for one committed by Ward the previous night in which a teenager was wounded in the hand.

Michael Joseph and Ben Currence, representing Thomas and Boston respectively, both succeeded in reducing one of the two third-degree assault convictions to simple assault.

Hollar agreed the attack on Cockayne after he left the bar did not meet the felony criteria of an assault with a deadly weapon. While witnesses testified they saw the defendants surround Cockayne while brandishing wooden sticks, there was insufficient evidence that they struck the young man with the makeshift weapons.
A stick is only deadly when it is used in a fashion that threatens the victim’s life, Hollar said.

Assistant Attorney General Renee Gumbs-Carty argued that a two-by-four raised to strike someone was inherently life-threatening. Bruises on Cockayne’s head and back showed he suffered a serious beating, she said.

Joseph and Currence also argued Hollar should reduce the remaining third-degree assault charges in the same manner.

Those charges correspond to Boston striking Cockayne with a pool cue at Front Yard, and a second attack with the wooden plank committed by Thomas.Currence maintained Boston shattered the pool cue on a window sill and not over Cockayne’s shoulder.

But testimony from witnesses at the bar made clear Cockayne was not hurt. According to a bartender, Cockayne sat at the bar after the fight and drank a beer until he was asked to leave because he was bothering other customers. If Cockayne was struck with the cue, then it was too flimsy to be considered a deadly weapon, Currence said.

Joseph said the only serious attack on Cockayne was the stabbing. The “circus” that took place in Cruz Bay earlier that night was nothing more than a chase. The subsequent murder should not elevate the severity of the assaults, he argued.

But Gumbs-Carty argued Cockayne was seriously injured when he reached his car, and the jury correctly inferred Boston and Thomas were responsible. Near the spot where Cockayne’s car was parked, the knife-wielding attacker pounced on the Pennsylvania man.

The 21-year-old, inebriated and beat up, could not defend himself, and ultimately bled to death from a wound to his femoral artery.

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2739&Itemid=1

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:53:53 PM »

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ward-free-from-jail-while-awaiting-his-third-trial-in-cockayne-murder-1.1110175#axzz1GnloVL8f
Ward free from jail while awaiting his third trial in Cockayne murder
February 25, 2011

ST. THOMAS - A St. John man who has faced a guilty verdict twice in a 2007 murder has been allowed to leave his jail cell while he awaits a date to be set for a third trial in the same matter.

V.I. Superior Court Judge Brenda Hollar granted bail to Jahlil Ward of Gifft Hill, who has been behind bars since he was arrested June 27, 2008, and charged with the June 19, 2007, murder of Jamie Cockayne, a 21-year-old Pennsylvania man.

In her order dated Feb. 18, Hollar granted Ward's motion for a reduction in bail and allowed him to be released on posting 10 percent of his $100,000 bail

::snipping2::
A date for Ward's retrial has not yet been scheduled.

::snipping2::

The article has a lot of information.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »

hasn't this been solved??

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.