March 28, 2024, 11:01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garland police identify woman set on fire in robbery as Nancy Harris(Deceased)  (Read 5656 times)
Toler
Monkey Junky

« on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »

A 76-year-old woman who was doused with flammable liquid and set on fire during a robbery Sunday morning has been identified as Nancy Harris of Garland.

Police tell us she remains in critical condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital. She suffered burns over 40 percent of her body in the attack at a convenience store where she works near Broadway Boulevard and Colonel Drive.

Suspect Matthew Lee Johnson, 36, has been jailed on a criminal attempted capital murder charge. His bail was set at $500,000.

Harris’s neighbors said they were shocked by the brutality of the attack on a selfless woman who kept a close eye on her neighborhood.

“I can’t understand why someone, some idiot, would do this to her,” said Margaret Tatum, 70, who lives a few houses down from Harris in the neighborhood just a few blocks from the crime scene.

“I know she’s in a lot of pain,” Tatum said. “I can feel that pain here,” she said as she pointed to her heart.   ::snipping2::  

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012/05/garland-police-identify-woman-set-on-fire-critically-injured-in-sunday-robbery.html/
Edit to add "deceased" and name to subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:46:00 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:17 PM »

What a cruel thing to do to an old lady. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

Elderly clerk burned in robbery dies of injuries

DALLAS — A car wash fundraiser for Nancy Harris went on as scheduled Saturday morning, hours after the Garland convenience store cashier died of injuries suffered when she was set on fire during a robbery last Sunday.

Harris, 76, passed away Friday evening at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, where she had remained in critical condition since the attack at the Fina Whip-In.

The grandmother of two had been an active member of the South Garland community for years.

Matthew Johnson, the man arrested and charged with the crime, is in the Dallas County Jail and charged with criminal attempted capital murder. His bond is currently set at $1,000,000

According to a Garland police news release, detectives will be working with the Dallas District Attorney’s office in pursuing a charge of capital murder in the case.  ::snipping2:: 

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Clerk-burned-in-robbery-dies-of-injuries-Friday-154335365.html
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »

Such an evil and senseless thing to do to an elderly woman.     It's heartbreaking  she suffered so much before passing.  The murdering thug needs    He did this to her during a robbery?  I wonder how much he got?  Her life was worth exactly that amount to him, I suppose.     Pain and suffering and then loss of life.  Over stealing.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/154482715.html
Elderly clerk burned in robbery dies of injuries
May 26, 2012

Nancy Harris, 76, died Friday evening at Parkland Hospital, where she had remained in critical condition since last Sunday.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »

Here's a photo of the POS.  He looks like he needs to be taken down a notch or two.  It takes a real waste of a man to hurt a woman and an elderly woman at that.  I hope his fellow inmates like to play with fire too.  I'd be tempted to send them ciggie coupons.   

These are my opinions and subject to change.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:42:24 PM »

an angelic monkey

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/18630845/clerk-burned-during-robbery-dies
Students Raise Money for Murdered Clerk's Family
By: Adrian Arambulo
Posted May 26, 2012, Updated May 27, 2012

South Garland high school students raised thousands of dollars for the family of a store clerk who died after she was set on fire during a robbery.

76-year old Nancy Harris had been in critical condition at Parkland hospital in Dallas, but died Friday.

Initially, the students were going to hold a fund raising car wash to help pay for medical costs.

After Harris died, the students held the event anyway to help offset funeral costs.

They were surprised, and inspired, when people in the community donated more than eleven thousand dollars in just a matter of hours.
 ::snipping2::

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Money-raised-for-76-Year-old-cashier-set-on-fire-154536225.html
Students Raise $10K For Clerk Set On Fire
Students hold car wash near the scene of the attack.

By Amanda Fitzpatrick
May 26, 2012

Local high school students raised $10,000 for the family of a convenience store clerk known as "Grandma" to many in the Garland community.

76 year old Nancy Harris died Friday night, nearly a week after she was robbed and set on fire at the Fina gas station where she worked in Garland.

On Saturday, students from South Garland High School returned to the place of the attack to hold a car wash and raise money for her family.

"I was just devastated," said Dylan Stooksberry, president of the school's student council. "It's kind of outlandish that someone would go out of there way to do this. To have that happen to someone who you know, to a face that you know, to a friend it's devastating."

"It hurts deep down and honestly if someone is going to go out of there way to do something  bad like that,  I am going to go out of my way to do something nice," said Stooksberry.

The Fina gas station is located just a block from their school. Many students like DJ Valderrama personally knew Harris.

"I came in the gas station and she showed me so much kindness by giving me a free drink," Valderrama said. "Whenever somebody shows you that kind of kindness if affects your life really."

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Money-raised-for-76-Year-old-cashier-set-on-fire-154536225.html
Students Raise $10K For Clerk Set On Fire
Students hold car wash near the scene of the attack.

By Amanda Fitzpatrick
May 26, 2012

Local high school students raised $10,000 for the family of a convenience store clerk known as "Grandma" to many in the Garland community.

76 year old Nancy Harris died Friday night, nearly a week after she was robbed and set on fire at the Fina gas station where she worked in Garland.

On Saturday, students from South Garland High School returned to the place of the attack to hold a car wash and raise money for her family.

"I was just devastated," said Dylan Stooksberry, president of the school's student council. "It's kind of outlandish that someone would go out of there way to do this. To have that happen to someone who you know, to a face that you know, to a friend it's devastating."

"It hurts deep down and honestly if someone is going to go out of there way to do something  bad like that,  I am going to go out of my way to do something nice," said Stooksberry.

The Fina gas station is located just a block from their school. Many students like DJ Valderrama personally knew Harris.

"I came in the gas station and she showed me so much kindness by giving me a free drink," Valderrama said. "Whenever somebody shows you that kind of kindness if affects your life really."

It is heartwarming to know she had such a positive effect on young people!
 an angelic monkey

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012/05/garland-convenience-store-clerks-family-thanks-officers-fundraisers-for-support.html/
Family of Garland woman who was set on fire thanks police, community for support
By Christina Rosales
May 30, 2012

The family of Nancy Harris, the woman who was robbed and set on fire last week and died of the injuries, is thankful they were able to gather to be with their mother during her “last precious days.”

“The Harris family would like to express our gratitude to the Garland Police Department, Garland Fire Stations 8 & 9, and the Parkland Hospital Burn Unit, ICU,” family members wrote in a statement. Those were the people who made it possible for the family, spread across the country, to gather.
Shortly after the fire, police found Johnson and arrested him. Authorities said last week they would pursue a capital murder charge against Johnson, who remains in Dallas County jail. His bail has been set at $1 million.

Before her death, many residents set up donation funds for Harris’ family and held a vigil in her honor.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012/05/donation-fund-set-up-for-garland-store-clerk-set-on-fire-during-robbery.html/
Donation fund set up for Garland store clerk set on fire during robbery
May 22, 2012

A bank account has been set up for people wishing to donate to a woman set on fire during a Garland gas station robbery on Sunday.

Just tell any Chase Bank teller that you want to donate to the “Nancy J. Harris Donation Fund of Garland Texas,” according to a city spokesman. Give the last four digits of the account number: 5731.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Funeral-Services-Planned-for-Burn-Victim-155481075.html
Funeral Services Planned for Burn Victim
Convenience store clerk burned during robbery
By Tammy Mutasa
May 29, 2012

A Garland grandmother and convenience store clerk who was set on fire during a robbery will be laid to rest Wednesday.

Nancy Harris, 76, died Friday. She sustained burns on more than 40 percent of her body during a robbery at a Fina station on May 20.

Funeral services will be held at St. Pius X Catholic Church in East Dallas at 2:30 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in the name of Nancy J. Harris to the Parkland Hospital Burn Unit ICU.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/Garland-man-found-guilty-in-burning-death-of-elderly-store-clerk-229917501.html
Garland man found guilty in burning death of elderly store clerk
October 30, 2013

A Dallas County jury found a 38-year-old man guilty of capital murder on Wednesday in the burning death of elderly Garland store clerk Nancy Harris.
The sentencing portion of Matthew Lee Johnson’s trial will begin at 8:30 a.m. Thursday. He could be sentenced to death. On Tuesday, the jury was shown surveillance footage of Johnson setting Harris on fire on May 20, 2012.
He poured lighter fluid over her body and set her ablaze. She burned for more than two minutes before a police officer noticed a fire moving inside the gas station and intervened. 
The grandmother suffered first and second-degree burns over 40 percent of her body. She died five days after the attack.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Punishment-for-Man-Who-Set-Garland-Clerk-on-Fire-230970931.html
Man Who Set Garland Clerk on Fire Sentenced to Death
November 8, 2013

Matthew Johnson, 38, admitted to police that he was high on crack and drunk when he walked into 76-year-old Nancy Harris' store in Garland in May 2012. He was convicted last week of capital murder.

After about nine hours of deliberation over the course of two days, the jury of 11 women and one man unanimously sentenced Johnson to death. The jury last week returned a guilty verdict for the May 2012 death of Nancy Harris.

One of Johnson's attorneys, Nancy Mulder, said her client expected the sentence.

"Like he said on the witness stand and he said in his interview with police, 'I deserve the death penalty. What I did was horrible,'" she told reporters.

Because it is a death penalty case, there is an automatic appeals process, which could take up to eight years, if not longer, she said.

In surveillance video that was shown in court, Johnson is seen with a water bottle full of lighter fluid. He douses Harris in the liquid, robs her and then sets her on fire.

Harris sustained burns over 40 percent of her body and died days later.

During the two-week trial, Johnson testified that he didn't mean to set Harris on fire and was remorseful about her death.

On Monday, Johnson took the stand on his own behalf, trying to save his life.

"I just want to live long enough to see my girls grow up," he said. "I put myself and family in a bad situation and the victim's families. I feel like a coward. I have my day of redemption, and I ask forgiveness from the victims families and for the court to have mercy."

Johnson is married and has three daughters, ages 15, 11 and 3.

Video at Link

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.