April 25, 2024, 09:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mickey Shunick 22 years old, Lafayette, LA MISSING 5/19/2012(BODY FOUND)  (Read 170602 times)
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »

Michaela 'Mickey' Shunick's mom thinks daughter was 'abducted by a stranger'

Tuesday night, the mother of missing Lafayette, La. college student Michaela “Mickey” Shunick spoke out, saying she believes an opportunistic stranger kidnapped her daughter.

Nancy Rowe told Jane Velez-Mitchell during an appearance on her HLN show, “Somebody took her. Somebody knows where she is, and we want her returned alive.”

She added, “...this was not a stalking... I think she was abducted by a stranger who saw an opportunity and took her... we want to give that person money to get our daughter back.”

::snipping2::

http://www.examiner.com/article/michaela-mickey-shunick-s-mom-thinks-daughter-was-abducted-by-a-stranger?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
I worked in the area of (the friends house on Ryan St) about 20 years ago. I would not put myself in that area at 2 AM or after dark for that matter. The Ryan St area is older but well kept homes. But the other side of West Congress across from Ryan St is filled with dilapidated houses with allot of questionable activity.
She had to go through at least 3 major intersections. There are traffic cameras but I think they are only activated if you are running a red light. I am very happy that Tim Miller is coming in on this.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »

I saw on JVM tonight where the guy friend she was last with was speaking.  If they went to Taco Bell in his car then there will be video of it.  I am hoping there will be some kind of video after she left his home.  He said something that felt very hinky to me.  JVM asked if they were in a relationship and he said no but then it got asked a diff way as in did he have feelings for her and he said no but that was okay!  I have the feeling she didn't get far from his house.  If he did do something I don't think he will be able to hold it in forever.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »

Tips roll in but still no leads in missing college student case

LAFAYETTE — Tips related to missing college student Michaela “Mickey” Shunick have streamed in each hour of the day since word spread of her Saturday disappearance, but so far none have resulted in a solid lead, a police spokesman said Wednesday.

“We’re receiving several per hour … and it really hasn’t slowed down,” Lafayette Police Cpl. Paul Mouton said of the number of tips police have received.

http://theadvocate.com/home/2910424-125/bicycle-ride-set-to-support
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/23/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Friend Speaks Out about Mickey Shunick Disappearance
Aired May 23, 2012 - 19:00   ET

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/05/23/exp-jvm-mickey-shunick.hln?iref=allsearch
Where is Mickey Shunick? (Video)
Added On May 23, 2012
College student Mickey Shunick disappeared in Lafayette, Louisiana. Jane Velez-Mitchell speaks to Mickey's family.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/05/22/exp-jvm-missing-college-student.hln?iref=allsearch
College Coed Vanishes (Video)
Added On May 22, 2012
Michaela "Mickey" Shunick last seen riding home on a bicycle at 2:00 am Friday night. Jane Velez-Mitchell disappears

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »

http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/23/college-student-22-vanishes-while-riding-bike/?iref=allsearch
College Student, 22, Vanishes While Riding Bike
May 23, 2012

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »

Searchers Follow Bike Route Where Missing La. Student Was Last Seen

(LAFAYETTE, La.) -- Dozens of people gathered Thursday to ride the route presumably taken by missing Louisiana college student Michaela "Mickey" Shunick when she vanished on her bike last Saturday.

Friends and searchers took to the route at dusk, following the path on which Shunick set out in the early hours of Saturday morning.  FBI, U.S. Marshals and local police are involved in the search that they are treating as a missing person case, but have not ruled out foul play.

Shunick, 22, a senior anthropology major at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, left friend Brettly Wilson's house on her bike just before 2 a.m. Saturday after a night out, and hasn't been heard from since.

"I asked her to be safe ... I saw her get to the driveway and that was the last time I saw her," Wilson said.

http://www.kvor.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=118&itemid=29853433
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »

Volunteer headquarters for Shunick search moving this morning

The volunteer headquarters of the Mickey Shunick campaign are moving to a new location at Our Lady of Wisdom Center.
The center is located on the corner of St. Mary and McKinley St. on UL's campus. The move is due to the growing number of supporters and volunteers.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120524/NEWS01/120524009/Volunteer-headquarters-Shunick-search-moving-morning
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

Artmosphere, Ragbags, and I-10; Odds and Ends of the Michaela Mickey Shunich Case!

One day later, and I still haven`t learned much more about Michaela Mickey Shunick`s perplexing disappearance in the wee hours of Saturday, May 19th. From what I can tell, no local news outlets posted any new stories on Mickey`s case, with the exception of ABC, and HLN`s Jane Velez-Mitchell featured her case as her top story. Okay, so I did manage to fill in the picture a bit more. Yesterday, I didn`t know anything about Mickey going to the Artmosphere club (with some friends) to hear some bands last Friday night?

We get a better idea of what was going on before Mickey left Brettly Wilson`s house, (of course) on her Schwinn bicycle at 2:00 AM. She left with some mace on hand, as always, we`re hearing also. Brettly has readily and openly provided us with the only narrative we have of Michaela`s last night seen. We hear some bits about a Taco Bell rendezvous and we also learn that Mickey was only drinking water at the Artmosphere. Yet there may have been some drinking involved the previous night, which was Thursday the 17th?

I need to stay grounded in the facts we have available. 166 sex offenders in the immediate radius of Brettly Wilson`s house? This could be a dead end too, but has to be explored by the official investigators there in Lafayette, La. The look of this suggests that Artmosphere has nothing to do with this. Brettly Wilson was a great friend to Mickey, and he most certainly should be cleared. The culprit here (as I see it), is riding your bike on crowded urban streets at 2 in the morning, when some sickos are combing the streets looking for someone to prey on.

http://thesop.org/story/20120524/artmosphere-ragbags-and-i10-odds-and-ends-of-the-michaela-mickey-shunich-case.html
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »

she looks like such a beautiful soul.   has there been confirmation that she left the house she was last seen at? 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »

she looks like such a beautiful soul.   has there been confirmation that she left the house she was last seen at? 

Only from Brettly.  Not heard anything about obtaining camera footage etc.  Odd that her bike has vanished as well.  If she was abducted it would take too much time and effort to take her bike as well IMO.  Wonder if she either fell and was disoriented or as Cartfly suggested may have been hit by a vehicle.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »

GMA video

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-26797925/university-of-louisiana-student-22-missing-29448533.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fnews-26797925%252Funiversity-of-louisiana-student-22-missing-29448533.html
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »

Only from Brettly.  Not heard anything about obtaining camera footage etc.  Odd that her bike has vanished as well.  If she was abducted it would take too much time and effort to take her bike as well IMO.  Wonder if she either fell and was disoriented or as Cartfly suggested may have been hit by a vehicle.

I still think this guy has something to do with her missing!  Lots of time to get rid of someone and a bike from the time "he" says she left to the time she was discovered missing.  He's off to me and like I said in my earlier post, I think he admitted to having feeling for her on JVM.  Will look for transcript.
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »

Return to Transcripts main page

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

Aired May 23, 2012 - 19:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL, HOST: Jane Velez-Mitchell coming to you live from Los Angeles. Boy, we`ve got a lot to talk about. New details about missing college student Mickey Shunick. We are retracing her steps on the night she vanished.

Plus, does a traveling carnival have anything to do with her disappearance? We`re answering every question next.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL (voice-over): Tonight, the desperate search for a missing Louisiana college student escalates. Volunteers take to the streets to search and support this devastated family as cops defend their response to her disappearance. Could a traveling carnival be the clue police need to finding this 22-year-old?

Tonight I`ll talk exclusively to the friend who last saw Mickey Shunick alive. What did this beautiful girl do in the hours before her disappearance?

Plus, her family joins me live tonight.

And Gary Giordano grabs headlines, again. The sole suspect in the disappearance of Robyn Gardner caught with his pants down, literally. Cops say the 51-year-old was having sex in the back of his SUV with a lady friend. He`s also accused of stalking and domestic violence in the past. I`ll talk to Robyn Gardner`s boyfriend tonight. And I`m taking your calls.

And come along on a travel adventure to garbage island? Yes, it`s a real-life horror story. A pile of trash bigger than Texas floating in the Pacific Ocean. I`m talking to an intrepid young man who dove into the middle of this monstrous mess to send you and me a message tonight.

Plus, the secret psychology of slim. Why making it fun is the only way to shed pounds permanently. We`ll prove why diets don`t work and how to narrow that bad food playing field.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It`s been four days since Mickey Shunick vanished.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hundreds packed Lafayette`s Park Saint Toussou (ph) Tuesday night, a show in numbers of the friends, family and strangers determined to bring Mickey home.

BRETTLY WILSON, FRIEND: We just want her back. We want her safe. We want our friend.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She left here at this house around 2 in the morning.

NANCY ROWE, MOTHER: We want our daughter back and that would make everything better.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She reportedly left a friend`s home in Lafayette on her bicycle, headed home.

WILSON: Checked her bike, checked her mace. Closed the door and locked it. That was the last time I saw her.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She`s just perfect, and I just love her so much, and I miss her so much, and I want her home now.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The reward for her safe return has now made it to $20,000.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I know that I`ll never look at a missing person`s case the same ever again.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, the mystery deepens. Frantic family, friends and bloggers, investigating every angle, desperately searching for beautiful missing Mickey Shunick, two days before her 22nd birthday.

This stunning, petite college student leaves her friend`s house in the dead of night and disappears. Moments ago police told the family they definitely have leads but would not divulge details.

Mickey was riding a bike that looked a lot like the bike we`re about to show you. But authorities are unsure what route she took or where she ended up. Her home, four and a half miles from the friend`s house and the most likely route, this one on Congress Street. But so far, she has not been seen on any surveillance video along the route.

Last night, a candlelight vigil held for Mickey. Hundreds of people banded together to lend their support to the distraught family.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ROWE: We try to stay together out in public and then go home and fall apart.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That poor woman. We interviewed her last night.

What happened the night Mickey disappeared? We`ve been interviewing Mickey`s friends and family. Here`s what we discovered, but we`re going to discuss this timeline because, boy, we get, you know, bits and pieces here and there.

Mickey and nine friends were at a bar called Artmosphere in Lafayette. That`s the bar right there. At about 1 in the morning, Mickey and her friend Brettly biked to Brettly`s house which has since become command central in the search for this young lady.

Then Mickey and Brettly reportedly got in Brettly`s car and drove to Taco Bell and picked up some food, drove back to Brettly`s house. At about 2 in the morning Mickey got on her bike and left Brettly`s house. Listen to Brettly describe the final moments before Mickey left.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

WILSON: Checked her bike, checked her mace, and then she went through the back door. I told her to be safe and closed the door, locked it. And that was the last time I saw her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: With no apparent clues, blogs have lit up with theories about what might have happened. One such theory: well, there`s a carnival, it turns out, in town. And there have been theories, speculations, questions. Could some suspicious characters come along with this carnival?

The Cajun Heartland State Fair being held at the Cajun Dome, which is just a little over a mile from Mickey`s friend`s house. But this theory, is it grasping at straws or could there actually be a connection?

Call me: 1-877-JVM-SAYS.

Straight out to our exclusive guest, Brettly Wilson, the very last person to see Mickey Shunick before she vanished.

Brettly, thank you so much for joining us tonight. Let`s just start by -- if you can tell us what happened, you`re at this Artmosphere with apparently nine other friends, including Mickey. And how did you end up getting separated from eight of them and then you and Mickey going back to your place?

WILSON: Well, Mickey was pretty tired. Her sister had come in the night before. They were both going to go to her brother`s graduation the next night. And so she as ready to go before anyone else was.

By the end of the night came, everyone decided they were going to go their separate ways. They didn`t want food. They wanted to go home and didn`t want to go somewhere else. So me and Mickey took off towards my house, and I offered to get her food at a nearby Taco Bell.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So you went -- you went to Taco Bell straight from Artmosphere, or did you go home first?

WILSON: We went to my house. It was too late to bike indoors (ph) with Taco Bell. So we got in the car, and I took her through the drive- through. She picked something up, brought it back. She ate it.

At that point we got two phone calls from friends, asking, you know, where we were, checking on us and saying they were going to go get food somewhere else. At that point, Mickey decided she was still too tired. She had gotten food and so she had wanted to go home at that point.

This is what bothered me..."After me and her friend split up, me and Mickey kind of got a little closer, but it was anything but platonic, AND THAT WAS FINE."  Did not like how he said that!  If it was me and I might be looked at as suspicious, I wouldn't say something like that.  It just felt like he wanted us to think he "was fine" she didn't return his affection/advances/whatever he was putting out there to her.  It's probably just me feeling this way and I hope for his sake there are store/gas station/traffic videos of her after she left his home.  I don't think it would take a lot to break him if they needed too.
Edit to  ::snipping2:: article per melisb's request.  MB
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:58:39 AM by MuffyBee » Logged
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »

Muuuuufffffffyyyyy!!!  I skwood up again!  Can you snip my post from the top to the third Wilson entry?  Sorry I took up so much space and didn't preview.

Done.  I left a couple extra "Wilson" entries, I think.  MB 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:57:19 AM by MuffyBee » Logged
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »

Find Mickey Now: The search continues

LAFAYETTE, LA (WAFB) - Volunteers from across the nation have gathered at the new "Find Mickey Now" headquarters at Our Lady of Wisdom Catholic Church in Lafayette, La.

Mickey Shunick, 22, was last seen early Saturday morning riding a black and gold bike from a friend's home in the St. Streets area of Lafayette. She was headed to her home near Ambassador and Congress, but never made it home and has not been seen since.

She was last seen wearing a pastel multicolored striped shirt, light wash skinny jeans and gray shoes. She had a brown, leather, backpack purse with her.

Texas EquuSearch was requested to assist in the search for Michaela "Mickey" Shunick. According to the Texas EquuSearch website, the search started at 10 a.m. Thursday. The Command Center is located at Our Lady of Wisdom Catholic Church, 501 E. Saint Mary Blvd., Lafayette, LA 70503. Searchers are in need of ATVs, horses and foot searchers. If you would like to help search, they are requesting that you please bring your own water and snacks, along with a photo identification. Searchers must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.

http://www.wafb.com/story/18617502/find-mickey-now-the-search-continues
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »

GIVERS in benefit concert for Mickey

A benefit concert featuring GIVERS and Vagabond Swing to raise funds in the search for Mickey Shunick, 22, who has been missing since Saturday (May 19), is scheduled for Sunday at Parc International, 200 Garfield in downtown Lafayette.

Gates open at 5 p.m. and the music scheduled from 5:30-8 p.m. There's a suggested donation of $15 per person, but any amount will be appreciated.

"It was just one of those things that kind of evolved," says Jody Nederveld, a volunteer who helped organize the event. "The GIVERS had stepped up and at some point said they want to do something."

http://www.theind.com/news/10576-givers-in-benefit-concert-for-mickey
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »

I still think this guy has something to do with her missing!  Lots of time to get rid of someone and a bike from the time "he" says she left to the time she was discovered missing.  He's off to me and like I said in my earlier post, I think he admitted to having feeling for her on JVM.  Will look for transcript.

melisb ... I agree.  I have a hinky feeling but ... I am attempting not to go there.  My suspicions were way off in the Sierra Lamar case.

Janet

+++++

Mixed Messages?

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

<snipped>

BRETTLY WILSON, FRIEND:  I`ve known Mickey a good while. We`ve become pretty close friends in the past three years

<snipped>

WILSON: Yes, we`re going to college together. I kind of knew her off and on through high school, but we never really were that close until I finally started going to college.

WALSH: so is this a dating relationship? Is this a romantic relationship?

WILSON: No. No, not at all. Me and Mickey actually got to know each other because I was dating her best friend. After me and her friend split up, me and Mickey kind of got a little closer, but it was never anything but platonic, and that was fine.

<snipped>

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »

Has Brettly submitted to a polygraph?  Has surveillance video been analyzed to affirm the alleged trip to Taco Bells?  Has Mickey's cell phone records been analyzed in regards to the two alleged calls?

I find that the claim of Brittly regarding Mickey's actions prior to leaving were somewhat scripted considering the bike had be riden from the event a short time earlier.  I could be wrong.

Janet

+++++

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

<snipped>

BRETTLY WILSON, FRIEND: Well, Mickey was pretty tired. Her sister had come in the night before. They were both going to go to her brother`s graduation the next night. And so she as ready to go before anyone else was.

By the end of the night came, everyone decided they were going to go their separate ways. They didn`t want food. They wanted to go home and didn`t want to go somewhere else. So me and Mickey took off towards my house, and I offered to get her food at a nearby Taco Bell.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So you went -- you went to Taco Bell straight from Artmosphere, or did you go home first?

WILSON: We went to my house. It was too late to bike indoors (ph) with Taco Bell. So we got in the car, and I took her through the drive- through. She picked something up, brought it back. She ate it.

At that point we got two phone calls from friends, asking, you know, where we were, checking on us and saying they were going to go get food somewhere else. At that point, Mickey decided she was still too tired. She had gotten food and so she had wanted to go home at that point.

<snipped>

WILSON: Checked her bike, checked her mace. Closed the door and locked it. That was the last time I saw her.

<snipped>

MARCIA CLARK, FORMER PROSECUTOR: Well, I actually want to pursue the question you asked, which is she was really tired and obviously, he had a car. So Brettly, if you had a car, why didn`t you just drive her home and carry the bike home in your car?

WILSON: I didn`t have a bike rack on my car. Mickey has done this, you know, every night we`ve ever gone out. She`s ridden her bike somewhere. She actually rode her bike to the show, which is a bit further than my house. It was nothing out of the ordinary for her to bike anywhere, no matter the time of day.

<snipped>

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Why are we posting about Sierra's case in Mickey's thread?

It is upsetting for those who are following Mickey's case to come in here and read words such as "picked up at her gate", which causes anyone to get the impression Mickey has been found and possibly harmed.

I agree. I have moved those posts (klaasend)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:17:07 PM by klaasend » Logged

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.