April 18, 2024, 02:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mickey Shunick 22 years old, Lafayette, LA MISSING 5/19/2012(BODY FOUND)  (Read 170492 times)
yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

Amazing.  So Mickey fighting back at him so hard probably solved several other murders and protected an unknown number of future victims.  She deserves justice and to be home.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #441 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

Amazing.  So Mickey fighting back at him so hard probably solved several other murders and protected an unknown number of future victims.  She deserves justice and to be home.
It is amazing.  It sounds like she fought back hard and will help bring justice to other missing/murdered women.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #442 on: July 19, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

::snipping2::

The Independent has also learned that police in at least a couple of jurisdictions outside of Lafayette are investigating possible links between Lavergne and unsolved crimes against women. Our sources say that among the items retrieved from Lavergne’s home after his July 5 arrest were bloodied pictures he took of himself and an undisclosed number of women’s IDs.

“We have been contacted by other agencies regarding the arrest and have shared information,” Lafayette Police Department spokesman Paul Mouton writes in an email about whether Lavergne is being investigated for other crimes. “I cannot confirm the agencies that have contacted us in this investigation.”

http://www.theind.com/lead-news/10982-circumstantial-evidence
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

8:36 AM, Jul. 19, 2012  | 

Lavergne was reared in Church Point by adoptive parents and he had family living near Church Point at the time of Pate's disappearance.

Maxine Trahan, spokesperson for the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office, declined to answer questions about the Pate case Wednesday evening. She said she was instructed to refer questions to Harson.

In April 1999, Lavergne sexually assaulted an 18-year-old woman in Evangeline Parish. In September 1999, he married Lainey Vasseur of Opelousas. He was serving in the Army at Fort Polk at the time and they lived in nearby Leesville. They split up in January 2000 after his wife accused Lavergne of hitting her and trying to smother her. She later accused him of attacking her while she worked at an Opelousas hospital.

By February 2000, Lavergne pleaded guilty and was convicted of aggravated oral sexual battery for the April 1999 incident.

Lavergne was in prison from Feb. 25, 2000, until April 9, 2008. While he was in prison, he was divorced and became a father.

"I cannot talk right now," Jessica Vasseur, the mother of Lavergne's ex-wife, said Wednesday night when asked for comment.

Lavergne's mother did not return a call and his ex-wife also declined to comment.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120719/NEWS01/120719005/Lavergne-charged-Mickey-Shunick-second-woman-s-murders?odyssey=nav%7Chead
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #444 on: July 19, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

I'm confused....did the pictures have blood on them or were they pictures of him covered in blood?

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #445 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

Shunick, Pate. Are there more?

Thursday, July 19, 2012

However, they did confirm that law enforcement officials outside of the 15th Judicial District, which covers Lafayette, Acadia and Vermilion parishes, are also looking at any possible connections between Lavergne and other crimes against women. Those investigations stretch into Texas as well.

Shortly after word of Lavergne’s indictment came down Wednesday afternoon, a local woman posted on her Facebook page that Lavergne had tried to get her to move in with him in this year. “He lied to me about his whole past and tried to get me to go on several dates,” she wrote. “Best thing I ever did was decided not to go. I’m sure that there are others.”

After Shunick went missing, Lavergne became engaged to an Acadia Parish woman (not the one who posted the aforementioned comment). The woman's identity is known, but The Independent and other local media have decided not to publish her name.

http://www.theind.com/news/10985-shunick-pate-are-there-more
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #446 on: July 19, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »

I'm confused....did the pictures have blood on them or were they pictures of him covered in blood?

not sure,but i wonder if he took them with his phone or digital cam,and downloaded
them to his puter,if he did it with his phone,maybe some gps data is still in the file
and maybe someone would recognize from where they were taken

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #447 on: July 19, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »

Video at link

http://www.wafb.com/story/19069776/shunick-case-leads-to-charges-in-unsolved-murder

Shunick case leads to charges in unsolved murder
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 7:01 PM CDT Updated: Jul 19, 2012 7:02 PM CDT

LAFAYETTE, LA (WAFB) -
15th Judicial District Attorney Mike Harson is looking back at an unsolved murder that's been on the books for more than a decade.  It involved a multi-agency search in Acadia Parish.  34-year-old Lisa Pate had disappeared.  Authorities believe she knew her alleged killer, Brandon Lavergne.

"I think they possibly knew one another, but to what extent is not clear," said Harson.

Authorities say a rice farmer found Pate's body in an empty field about 20 miles north of I-10.  They sent the remains to forensic scientists.  But they couldn't identify it was Pate.

Lavergne spent the next eight years in prison after being convicted of sexual battery.  Harson says he spent those years building evidence in Pate's murder. 

One of Pate's sons, Bryant Martie, released a statement:

"The only thing we would like to say at this time is that we are glad he is finally getting charged for this. (We) waited 13 years for this and if they would of gotten him then he wouldn't have be able to do what he (has) done today. We send our thoughts and prayers out to the Shunick family and thank everyone for their condolences and prayers."

A conviction would have kept Lavergne behind bars, but that never happened.

"Case went to grand jury in 2008 but there was no verdict. No evidence at the time to indict him," said Harson.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #448 on: July 20, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »

http://www.katc.com/news/lisa-pate-s-family-had-no-idea-pate-s-murder-was-going-to-be-presented-to-a-grand-jury/

Lisa Pate's Family Had No Idea Pate's Murder was Going to be Presented to a Grand Jury
Posted: Jul 19, 2012 6:06 PM by Jenise Fernandez
Source: KATC
Updated: Jul 19, 2012 6:55 PM

They didn't talk on camera, but Gertie Martie, the grandmother of Pate's children, describes Pate as a caring and loving mother, who would do anything for her children.

The day Lisa went missing is fresh in her mind. Pate didn't show up for one of her children's birthday parties. Gertie knew something must have happened to Lisa. Much like how Mickey Shunick's family grew suspicious when Mickey didn't show up at her brother's graduation.

Even though 13 years have passed, Gertie has never forgotten what happened and now she's reliving a painful time.

Pate's brother Mike says Wednesday's revelation was hell. The family didn't know Pate's case was being heard and found out about the indictment while watching the news. He says he wished someone would have called to warn them. District attorney Mike Harson says, there was no time.

"The investigators from Crowley were brought in late in game, they might have not had to time to contact the family, " Harson said.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #449 on: July 20, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120719/NEWS01/120719022/UPDATE-New-information-about-Lisa-Pate

UPDATE: New information about Lisa Pate
1:17 PM, Jul 19, 2012 

Pate, 34, was a native of New Iberia and the mother of three when she disappeared in June 1999. Her skeletal remains were discovered in September 1999, according to reports in The Daily Advertiser at the time.

A couple was exploring property behind their newly rented house on La. 358 between Church Point and Eunice when they “spotted three boards laid side-by-side and what looked like a bone at the far end,” the 1999 newspaper article states.

At first they believed the bones belonged to an animal. But when they lifted the boards, they realized the remains were human.

By Oct. 1, 1999, officials identified the remains as Pate.

Her brother, Michael Pate of New Iberia, told The Daily Advertiser in late September of 1999 that he believed “drug abuse and the lifestyle that goes with it” killed her.

Pate’s family said she had a history of drug use and underwent treatment twice, in Lafayette and Lake Charles.

In November 1998, she was released from jail in Lafayette where she had served time for a drug related charge, the 1999 Daily Advertiser stated.

Her death was treated as a homicide, but remained an unsolved case.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #450 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120720/NEWS01/120720035/UPDATE-Equusearch-still-searching-Shunick-St-Landry-Parish

UPDATE: Equusearch still searching for Shunick in St. Landry Parish
4:04 PM, Jul 20, 2012

Crews from Texas Equusearch continued to comb woods and fields in rural Acadia Parish today in the search for missing University of Louisiana at Lafayette student Mickey Shunick.

Lavergne is in the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center. He is scheduled for arraignment July 27. No bond was set at his 72-hour hearing today, meaning Lavergne will remain in jail.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #451 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »

http://www.wwl.com/Some-Shunick-family-members-would-welcome-plea-dea/13772314

Posted: Friday, 20 July 2012 9:28AM
Some Shunick family members would welcome plea deal if it meant closure

Family members of Mickey Shunick, the UL-Lafayette student missing and presumed dead, are still anxious to find out just what happened to her.  Mickey Shunick's sister has resigned herself to the fact that probably the only person who knows is the suspect indicted for her sister's murder.

Charlene Shunick says she doesn't like it that the only person who could tell them what happened may be the person authorities say murdered her sister.  But even if it means allowing Brandon Lavergne to cut a deal, she says she must know.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #452 on: July 21, 2012, 07:34:25 AM »

thanks for the updates grace-land and texasmom.
This is beyond sad.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #453 on: July 21, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Latest Update Lavergne Stalked Former Miss Church Point

07/20/2012 06:40 PM by Steven Albritton

Former Miss Church Point Claire Higginbotham says she's been living in fear of Brandon Lavergne for the last 13 years. She refused to get a restraining because she was scared of retaliation.

"I'm terrified now standing here shaking as we speak. I've it and I've seen pan out in the past. You never know what can happen," Higginbotham said.

Church Point police confirm Higginbotham claimed Laverge was stalking her in 1999. She says her first memories with Lavergne go as far back as grade school.

"In the fifth grade he took a handful of ants and shoved them in my mouth. Then he slammed my head into a brick wall," Higginbotham said.

She also said that she and her friends were threatened by Lavergne.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #454 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Latest Update Lavergne Stalked Former Miss Church Point

07/20/2012 06:40 PM by Steven Albritton

Former Miss Church Point Claire Higginbotham says she's been living in fear of Brandon Lavergne for the last 13 years. She refused to get a restraining because she was scared of retaliation.

"I'm terrified now standing here shaking as we speak. I've it and I've seen pan out in the past. You never know what can happen," Higginbotham said.

Church Point police confirm Higginbotham claimed Laverge was stalking her in 1999. She says her first memories with Lavergne go as far back as grade school.

"In the fifth grade he took a handful of ants and shoved them in my mouth. Then he slammed my head into a brick wall," Higginbotham said.

She also said that she and her friends were threatened by Lavergne.
What a sick pervert he is

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #455 on: July 24, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120724/NEWS03/120724024/Mickey-Shunick-Lisa-Pate-cases-could-tried-together?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Mickey Shunick, Lisa Pate cases could be tried together
11:03 AM, Jul. 24, 2012

LAFAYETTE -- The murders of Mickey Shunick and Lisa Pate may go before a jury at the same time, District Attorney Mike Harson said.

"As of right now, I believe the two cases will be tried together," he wrote in an e-mail response to The Daily Advertiser's inquiries Monday.

Pate disappeared in June or July of 1999. Her remains were found in September 1999 near Church Point. Lavergne was a suspect in that case, but a 2008 grand jury determined there was not enough evidence to indict him.

Lavergne is a sex offender who served more than eight years in prison from February 2000 until August 2008 for aggravated oral sexual battery in Evangeline Parish.

Harson also said it could take up to three years to bring Lavergne to trial.

"It is not uncommon to take up to three years to get capital cases to trial so a two-year estimate may, in fact, be optimistic," he wrote.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #456 on: July 27, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »

Two-page article

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120727/NEWS01/120727003/Lavergne-pleads-not-guilty-Shunick-Pate-cases?odyssey=mod%7Cbreaking%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Lavergne pleads not guilty in Shunick, Pate cases
9:12 AM, Jul 27, 2012
UPDATED 11:20 a.m.

Wearing an orange jumpsuit, his hands in cuffs, Brandon Scott Lavergne uttered only two words – not guilty – during his arraignment this morning on two charges of first-degree murder.

Family and friends of one of his alleged victims – Michaela “Mickey” Shunick – sat silently watching the proceedings from a video hook-up at the parish courthouse.

Lavergne appeared before 15th Judicial District Court Judge Herman Clause in a small courtroom attached to the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center where he has been held since his arrest July 5 in connection with Shunick’s disappearance May 19 in Lafayette.

Lavergne stood facing Clause for the entire proceeding this morning, nervously working his fingers over the hand cuffs, at times bowing is head or leaning in to speak with his defense attorneys.

Clause granted motions to continue two evidentiary hearings, noting they can be held in the future if needed. A preliminary hearing and bail hearing were not held.

The judge set an Oct. 9 deadline for attorneys to file motions regarding proceedings that have taken place thus far, such as the grand jury indictments. After that, he’ll conduct a status conference with attorneys to schedule additional hearings as needed.

If convicted, Lavergne could face the death penalty or life in prison.

Attorneys have said it’s not unusual for a capital case such as this to take from two to four years to make it to trial.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #457 on: August 03, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »

http://www.katc.com/news/new-court-records-reveal-what-da-s-office-believes-happened-in-shunick-pate-murders/

New Court Records Reveal What DA's Office Believes Happened in Shunick, Pate Murders
Posted: Aug 2, 2012 10:11 PM by Maddie Garrett
Source: KATC
Updated: Aug 2, 2012 10:32 PM

*The DA's Office outlines what they think happened:
The court record filed by the DA's office claims the following information is fact: On or about July 3, 1999, Lavergne met Lisa Pate in Lafayette Parish. It is alleged Pate was persuaded or forced to another location, where she was forced, for her release, to "engage in non-consensual acts, and/or inflicted physical injury, and/or sexual abuse upon Lisa Pate." The document says Lavergne killed Pate and moved the evidence, including the body, "with the intent to distort the results of the criminal investigation."

The court record filed by the DA's office also claims the following information is fact: On or about May 19, 2012, Lavergne forcibly seized Mickey Shunick and carried her to another place where he refused to release her. It is alleged Lavergne "forced her to engage in non-consensual acts, and inflicted physical injury and/or sexual abuse". The document says Lavergne killed Mickey and moved evidence of the murder, including her body and belongings, "to locations with the intent to distort the results of the criminal investigation." Lavergne is also accused of obstruction of justice and the continued tampering of the body of Mickey Shunick. The state also adds that anyone knowing where Mickey's body may be could be charged with Accessories After the Fact.

In the filing, the state claims after Lavergne murdered Mickey, he moved his truck to an out-of-state location, where he intentionally destroyed it. The document alleges Lavergne did so to destroy evidence and distort the results of any criminal investigation. The truck was found May 31, 2012, and that's when Lavergne is accused of providing a false vehicle theft report and a fraudulent claim with State Farm Insurance. The state says Lavergne purchased an identical truck on June 4, 2012 in Lafayette, and in the process, altered his ID to hide the "sex offender" label on his license. Lavergne is also accused of contacting an official at the DMV, offering $500 to get an ID without the "sex offender" label.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »

http://theadvocate.com/home/3528071-125/statements-put-in-evidence

Statements put in evidence
August 04, 2012

LAFAYETTE — Evidence in the case of murder suspect Brandon Scott Lavergne in two killings includes statements he made in jail after the first death and statements to family members in June weeks after the second death, according to court filings this week by prosecutors.

Lavergne, a 33-year-old offshore worker from the Lawtell area, was indicted July 18 on two counts of first-degree murder in the 1999 death of Lisa Pate and the May 19 disappearance of Michaela “Mickey” Shunick, a University of Louisiana at Lafayette student who has not been found.

In court filings this week, prosecutors put Lavergne’s defense attorneys on notice of evidence that might be used a trial, including at least 16 statements Lavergne has allegedly made to others that could have some bearing on the case.

Prosecutors list three separate statements that Lavergne made related to Pate’s case while in jail from 2000 to 2008 on an unrelated aggravated oral sexual battery charge.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #459 on: August 06, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/DG/20120804/NEWS01/208040321/Details-trickle-out-Shunick-case?odyssey=obinsite
Details trickle out in Shunick case
12:05 AM, Aug. 4, 2012 
pg1
It appears that Brandon Scott Lavergne — or someone working with him — on more than one occasion tampered
with the body of his alleged victim, Michaela "Mickey" Shunick of Lafayette, according to documents prosecutors
filed Thursday,
pg2
Stutes also provided a list of 13 statements from people Lavergne allegedly spoke with about Shunick, including statements he supposedly made on or around June 14 to family members.
The documents seem to confirm that Lavergne also sought treatment in Opelousas. Stutes said Lavergne made statements May 23 to people at OGMC, which is probably Opelousas General Medical Center.
On May 25, Lavergne allegedly made statements to people at the office of someone identified only as G.P.
Law enforcement obtained a search warrant for Lavergne's medical records on file with Dr. Gary Porubsky, who
is an orthopedic/hand surgeon in Opelousas.

It also appears law enforcement placed a tracking device on Lavergne's pickup truck while he was working offshore.
The search warrant, obtained from the 25th Judicial District Court in Plaquemines Parish, allowed officials to place a tracking device on Lavergne's 2009 Chevrolet Silverado
pg3
Besides placing a tracking device on Lavergne's second truck, investigators obtained search warrants through the 19th Judicial District Court in East Baton Rouge Parish and in the 15th Judicial District Court in Lafayette Parish for the OnStar
in the truck that Lavergne reported stolen after Shunick's disappearance

At a news conference following Lavergne's arrest, Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft said police could place Lavergne in and around the Whiskey Bay exit off Interstate 10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, where Shunick's damaged bike was recovered May 26.

Law enforcement obtained 36 search warrants in connection with the Shunick and Pate cases. They included search warrants for 1327 Leger Road in Crowley and an Allied Waste front-end Dumpster previously at 1235 Leger Road in Church Point
Page 4 of 4
Law enforcement also obtained search warrants for a host of properties on Jesse B. Road in Church Point. Jesse B.
 Road intersects with U.S. 190 from Opelousas and leads to Elaine Lane in Swords, St. Landry Parish, where Lavergne was residing when he was arrested July 5 in connection with Shunick's disappearance

Investigators also obtained search warrants for two Lafayette addresses, including 100 Ryan St., where Shunick's friend lived and where she began her bike ride May 19, and for 247 Ridgewood St. which is in the Saint Streets area between Souvenir Gate and West Congress Street, behind the Cajun Dome, not far from where Shunick was last seen on her bike.

Search warrants also were issued for four parcels of land along Leslie Road that intersects with Elaine Lane in Swords. Lavergne owns property and a mobile home at the intersection.

the documents
Disclosure-Production-Notice-to-Defendant-and-Request-for-States-Discovery
http://kpel965.com/files/2012/08/Disclosure-Production-Notice-to-Defendant-and-Request-for-States-Discovery.pdf

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.