March 29, 2024, 02:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deanna Laney stoned 2 sons to death & maimed 1 has been set free  (Read 11210 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: May 25, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

http://www.dailytribune.net/news/article_2f37156e-a6b4-11e1-b48a-0019bb2963f4.html
Woman who stoned kids to death set free
May 25, 2012

TYLER (AP) - An East Texas woman acquitted by reason of insanity in the 2003 stonings of her three children, two of them fatal, has been released from a state mental hospital.

Court documents obtained by KLTV-TV of Tyler show Deanna Laney of New Chapel Hill, near Tyler, was released after four psychiatrists testified behind closed doors last week that she no longer posed a threat to others. State attorneys disagreed.
 ::snipping2::
A Smith County jury acquitted Laney in 2004 of the deaths of two sons, 8-year-old Joshua and 6-year-old Luke. Son Aaron, then 14 months old, survived but suffered brain damage.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »

http://www.kltv.com/story/18620253/deanna-laney-out-of-mental-institution
Deanna Laney out of mental institution
By Jena Johnson
May 24, 2012

SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas woman who stoned two of her children to death and severely injured her other child is out of a Texas mental institution.

Deanna Laney of New Chapel Hill was acquitted of capital murder by reason of insanity in 2004. Laney was ordered to inpatient treatment at Kerrville State Hospital. In court, Laney testified that it was God who told her to kill her children.

Each year since the crime, Laney has been up for evaluation. Now, nearly eight years later, she's out.
A transcript from a conversation between Laney and her doctor, six days after she killed two of her children on Mother's Day weekend 2003, reads as follows:

Laney: I got Luke and I drug him around.

Dr. Resnick: Drug him around?

Laney: By his feet.

Dr. Resnick:Oh, uh, Luke.

Laney: Luke... And I hid him behind the swing that we have over there.

Seven months after the killings, and while on medication, this is what jurors heard from Laney during her trial:

"I had to get Joshua. I didn't want him to see Luke. I drug Luke around. I drug Luke around. I put this rock down on his chest so that he couldn't breathe. And I said, Lord I just can't do it longer. I looked up and there was a streak of lightning that came down and that was like a sign to me that he was dead," Laney said.

Investigators found eight-year-old Joshua and six-year-old Luke in their underwear, bludgeoned to death in the front yard. 14-month-old Aaron was found in his crib; he survived his mother's attack, but is now brain damaged.

Authorities described the scene as horrific.
Now released from her court-mandated hospitalization, Laney must follow a set of rules:

Laney must allow designated case workers to visit in her home at all times determined by the case workers.
    Laney must take all medications as they are prescribed.
    She can have no unsupervised contact with minors.
    Laney's also been ordered to submit periodic blood tests to monitor her medication levels.
    Lastly, Laney's ordered to not change her address without permission of the court.

Where Laney lives now, only a few people, including her attorney, know.

The four doctors who recommended her release say she's not a threat to herself or society. The state says they will always disagree.

If Laney violates any of those rules, the court could reassess her outpatient treatment.

In 2008, Laney's ex-husband, Keith Laney, remarried.
Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »

http://www.kltv.com/story/18621457/prosecutor-in-laney-case-judge-did-what-she-had-to-do-under-the-law
Prosecutor in Laney case: Judge "did what she had to do under the law"
By Bethany Moore
May 24, 2012

TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas Woman accused of stoning two of her children to death and severely injuring another was released from a state hospital.

Deanna Laney was acquitted of capital murder by reason of insanity in 2004 and has been confined to the Kerrville State Hospital since 2007. Smith County District Attorney Matt Bingham, who tried the case in 2004, said his office did everything possible to keep Laney confined to the hospital.
"We called every doctor and every expert we knew that worked with her and went through thousands of pages of evidence," Bingham said. "But when that hearing came up the doctors found that she did not meet the requirements for re-commitment. At that point, Judge Kennedy did what she had to do under the law."

Bingham said that every year Laney comes up for review, but this year doctors were not able to find substantial proof that Laney was still insane. He said it was a verdict he did not agree with in the 2004 trial.

"I never believed she was insane," he said. "That's why we went to a jury, but the jury found her not guilty by reasons of insanity and I respect their decision. When that happened, she went into a whole different process. At that point she is not convicted of a crime, she would just be confined to the institution."

Bingham explained that since Laney was acquitted of the crime, they cannot bring up any evidence from her trial to try and keep her at the institution. The only evidence that can be presented at the hearings is the doctor's testimony of her current condition.

"We're at the point where we put on all the evidence that we could, but the evidence wasn't there to keep her committed," Bingham said.

He also said that the court has to address the issue of Laney being able to see her other child, but he could not comment on that decision.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

http://www.wect.com/story/18628564/exclusive-father-of-children-stoned-to-death-speaks
EXCLUSIVE: Father of children 'stoned to death' speaks
By Jena Johnson
May 25, 2012

SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

For years he has stayed away from media interviews since the weekend where two of his three children died, but now he is speaking out.

Keith Laney spoke exclusively to KLTV about the release of his ex-wife Deanna Laney.

Deanna killed two of their children in 2003 and disabled a third. She was acquitted in 2004, and last week was released from a state hospital.
Keith says he is left with a lot of questions about a local court's decision.

For nearly a decade, Keith Laney has been living with the question, "why."

A few years ago, he gave up on finding that answer. He says there's nothing that could ever explain how drastically his life changed Mother's Day weekend 2003.

"Wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what I went through," Keith said. "It's very difficult--everyday. You don't get up and just forget it. It's on your mind everyday, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. It never leaves. You never forget it. You miss your boys everyday."

Keith says he never thought his now ex-wife, Deanna, would be out so soon, considered not a harm to herself or others, after what she did.

"The laws and stuff in the state of Texas are what they are. I would love to be able to change it and have a guilty by reason of insanity and her be confined." Keith said, "There's things that could be done without turning her out into society again with no record, nobody knowing."

Then 14-month-old Aaron survived his mother's attack. He's now 10 years old and suffers from permanent brain damage.

He's the joy of Keith's life, but Aaron's daily struggles are a reminder of the quality of life his mother took away.

"I have a disability I have to live with the rest of my life. I have to change his diaper everyday." Keith said, 'I have to put braces on his feet, feed him, brush his teeth. It's not easy, and it never goes away. I don't have the opportunity to say well I've had seven years of it, I want it to disappear."

In the past nine years, the only form of communication he's had with Deanna was a letter exchange.
Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:08:18 PM »

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/women/women_killers2/9.html
WOMEN WHO KILL: PART TWO
BY Katherine Ramsland

Murder by God's Command

Deanna Laney
Deanna Laney
No one thought there was something wrong with thirty-nine-year-old Deanna Laney on Mothers Day weekend in 2003.� Thats why they could not have predicted what she was about to do.

A housewife in New Chapel Hill, Texas who saw herself as a religious sister to Andrea Yates, the housewife who drowned her five children in 2001, Laney began to see signs.� Her fourteen-month-old son, Aaron, was playing with a spear.� That was the first signal from God that she was to do something to her children.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »

Eight year old article regarding Deanna Laney's trial:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4625603/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/doctor-says-mom-who-killed-sons-mentally-ill/
Doctor says mom who killed sons mentally ill
Prosecution witness at odds with government position

March 31, 2004

TYLER, Texas  — A psychiatrist for the prosecution testified Wednesday that a mother who crushed her sons’ skulls with rocks was suffering from delusions and did not know right from wrong.

Dr. Park Dietz said Deanna Laney believed God ordered her to kill her children last Mother’s Day weekend. “She struggled over whether to obey God or to selfishly keep her children,” Dietz testified.
Keith Laney, 47, smiled at his wife when prosecutors asked what year they were married but briefly lost his composure at the sight of a poster-sized photograph of the three smiling boys, taken months before the killings.

The jury on Tuesday also saw a crime-scene video of 8-year-old Joshua and 6-year-old Luke, lying dead in a yard, near garden signs that read, “Mom’s Love Grows Here” and “Thank God for Mothers.” The boys were found in their underwear with heavy rocks on their chests.

The video also showed a large spot of blood in a baby bed, where Deanna Laney severely injured the couple’s youngest son, Aaron, 14 months old at the time.

Laney lowered her head during the testimony and wept as graphic autopsy photos were shown to the jury of eight men and four women.
Laney, a 39-year-old stay-at-home mother who homeschooled her children, has pleaded innocent by reason of insanity to charges of capital murder and serious injury to a child in the deaths of 8-year-old Joshua and 6-year-old Luke and severe injury to then-14-month-old Aaron.

Dietz said that Laney, who is deeply religious, had a series of delusions on the day of the killings. He said she saw Aaron with a spear, then throwing a rock, then squeezing a frog and believed God was suggesting she should either stab, stone or strangle her children.

Laney at first resisted, but she felt she had to do what she perceived to be God’s will to prove her faith, he said.

“She told me she felt as if the Lord were saying ’If you keep rejecting, it’s going to keep getting worse,”’ Dietz said.

Although he testified for the prosecution, Dietz said Laney didn’t realize her actions were wrong, which means she was legally insane under Texas law.
More....

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20120525/NEWS01/305259969
Deanna Laney Released From State Hospital
By DAYNA WORCHEL
Staff Writer
May 25, 2012

(Video at Link)

http://www.tylerpaper.com/pdf/Deanna_Laney_Order.pdf
   Read the order from Judge Christi Kennedy to release Deanna Laney

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:16:23 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.