April 25, 2024, 09:30:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #654 7/9 - 7/11/2007  (Read 128449 times)
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »

Aruba official top choice for Palm Beach County tourism chief

Jorge Pesquera is named top choice for county Convention, Visitors chief

By Mike Clary
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted July 10 2007

A committee searching for a candidate to lead the Palm Beach County Convention and Visitors Bureau as it emerges from financial scandal on Monday recommended a veteran tourism chief familiar with public relations challenges.

Two years ago, Aruba Hotel and Tourism Association president Jorge Pesquera faced international calls for a tourism boycott following the disappearance of American high school student Natalee Holloway. The case of the missing Alabama vacationer, 18, became a media sensation, and remains unsolved.

LocalLinks

"He's been quite tested in the crisis mode," said attorney Jim Stuber, interim administrator of the bureau. "Everyone welcomes the idea that he has proven himself under difficult circumstances. He brought tourism officials and the government together and has experience with the press."

Pesquera was one of four finalists to replace longtime president and chief executive, Warren "Mac" McLaughlin, who resigned in November after employee Donna M. Duffer told police she stole $1.6 million over three years to cover gambling losses.

She has been charged with grand theft and money laundering and is awaiting trial.

Following a unanimous vote of the eight-person search committee, Pesquera's nomination to take over the nonprofit bureau will be presented to the full board of directors on Wednesday, Stuber said. Pesquera would then be invited back to Florida for an interview with the board.

"We believe we've found the right candidate at the right time for the right position," said Roy Assad, search committee chairman.

If hired, Pesquera would be paid about $198,000 a year, Stuber said, a substantial cut from his $250,000 salary.

In a resume submitted with his application for the post, an executive search firm said that Pesquera played "the key role" in working behind the scenes in Aruba "to minimize the impact of the Holloway story and effectively stopped calls for boycott [sic] by some U.S. elected officials."

Aruba, a Dutch possession in the southern Caribbean off the coast of Venezuela, attracts 1.3 million visitors a year. Palm Beach County counts some 4.4 million annual visitors, including 2.2 million hotel guests.

Pesquera is a 30-year veteran of the tourism industry who went to work in Aruba in 2004 after 10 years as head of the Puerto Rico Convention Bureau in San Juan. He holds a degree in hotel administration from Cornell University.

Since the scandal broke, Stuber said, the number of bureau board members has been cut from 35 to 17, and financial controls have been tightened.

"Now," said Stuber, who serves as outside counsel for the bureau, "we're hoping he can take the organization to the next level, rather than have to come in and clean it up. We think we've cleaned it up."

The Convention and Visitors Bureau receives about $10 million yearly in hotel bed-tax dollars to promote the county as a tourist destination.

Mike Clary can be reached at mwclary@sun-sentinel or at 561-243-6629.

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
Sheesh people. Read the link. It's South Florida's Palm Beach County.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpcvb0710pnjul10,0,5952534.story?coll=sfla-news-palm

Jose Pesquera, previously honcho of Aruba Hotel and Tourism Association, has been chosen to lead the Palm Beach County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

You can add comments below the story.

The person who wrote the article, Mike Clary, can be reached at  mwclary@sun-sentinel or at 561-243-6629.

I apologize for my error -- geesh!  Embarassed

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »

Among the comments thus far are Melanie Hodge. Oranjestad, Aruba, quoting the Amigoe.com article ....

Go get 'em Monkeys.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »

Quote from: "wreck"
******* has the correct take -  IMO.

I think it is "known" to be true by many -- but no one can "prove" it without a DNA test.

Well, much as I love Jossy, I don't think he is capable of proving parentage especially based on his speculation on appearance.  One of my kids bears a tremendous resemblence to Justin Timberlake, too, LOL!!!

But I don't hear him saying that Lorenzo himself makes this claim and since there is a suicide involved in this little scandal, don't want us to make that kind of a mistake lightly.  

Jossy can only repeat the rumors.  He is not magic and has no way of knowing such a thing for a fact.  Even birth records are not proof in this day and age.  Nothing short of a DNA proves anything.

JMO

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2007, 10:16:36 AM »

oh Anna I know, we're all such liars aren't we?  Rolling Eyes

on to more important things than their opinions.........good work msmarples and I have already sent several emails  to some I know who own homes or condos in that area as well. PB must be hard up for a hire  Rolling Eyes

I continue to stand with the girl.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »

wreck - nothing personal; I couldn't even have said who said what. I did read the story, did a comment, and am mulling a letter. Think I'll read up on Pesquera first.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Frank
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2007, 10:19:08 AM »

DIARIO Editorial: Where has Jorge Pesquera been?

ORANJESTAD(AAN) ˆ First off, and with all due respect Mr. Pesquera, where were you the in the days that the American TV channels were in Aruba? Currently, you are in no position to demand equal time on American TV to counter the 'attacks' against Aruba. In particular now that Dr. Phils has called out for Americans to stop visiting Aruba. I don't believe that the strategic group can do something, especially not with the spokesperson you have appointed, I am doubtful that this will help in any way.

The only way to prevent the supposed boycott was to speak before you have spoken, that is to say during the time that the American TV channels (Cable News Networks) were in Aruba. They were disposed to concede as much space as you would have wanted, but apparently, you weren't  interested.

To you and government representatives. And please spare me your opinion of Ruben Trappenberg, because he is one of the ones who made things worse due to his not answering questions, by instead fighting with interviewers, making ridiculous accusations and diverting attention away from the incompetence and indifference of his government (employer).

Now (...) that you see that it is serious that they want to start a boycott against Aruba, you enter in a panic and want to reach out to the unproductive media to try to diminish the effects of a possible boycott.

You want to counteract a forming boycott? First begin by looking at reality in the face. Start by analyzing the accusations and see if whether they have basis or not.

Do you by any chance question Joran's release and the reasoning behind it that Joran has expressed his wishes to continue his studies as being correct? What kind of justice is this? And do you know, or are you up to  date on all of what Joran has admitted to the Polis in his first declaration?

Then why do you say "baseless accusations"? The accusations have a solid basis, believe me, it's the boycott that has no basis, because the Aruban people have given all their cooperation to find the young woman, treated the family well and with courtesy, and showed genuine interest to have the case solved.

Did the judge who came from Curaçao probably plan take the decisions he took, spoiled the case? With all due respect for the position you have taken, have you [actually] seen what happened?

The case was resolved in phases the same judge planned: first release Paul v.d. Sloot (I don't have anything against him, and don't accuse him of anything either); then he came back to release the Kalpoe brothers (second phase); and the third phase he executed now when came to set Joran free because Joran  expressed his wish to continue his studies.

I have similarly not made any accusations of any sort against the Kalpoe brothers; what I have repeated is what can be found in the Polis reports where they started pointing the fingers one against the other!

It is in the three phases here that Americans see the corruption of our justice system, the same that Van der Straaten pointed out with courage and it is on this basis that they are proposing a boycott to see if in this way the truth can come out.

You have a way to prevent the boycott, but not by your own criteria. I, Tito, Arlene and others who went on television and showed our faces, because we formed the contacts with the American TV channels to achieve this.

In my case, although you don't have to acknowledge it, I have gained the trust of the American people, because I spoke the truth to them. You should read the thousands of emails that I have received and continue to receive!

It  is the friendship I have formed with Natalee's family, and not only the family's influence, but also the channels via the family, who descended on Aruba, to have the freedom and the right to call our government and our justice system a corrupt one, confirmed for us in the same way by Jan v.d. Straaten, supported by Eric Zaandam and SPA [police union]!

It is us who have the courage to confront the truth and to speak without fear, to make a difference. Neither you nor any other group or spokesperson will arrive to where you can prevent a boycott, if you do not confront it speedily, that can do great harm to our economy.

In the end, I ask myself: where were you when the American TV channels were in Aruba? Where was the government? What have you done to prevent what is coming towards us? I consider you to be an honest person, for this reason I believe that the moment has come for you to demonstraste this by admitting that  you and the government failed barbarically in the moment where you could have done something.

It is now too late for your plan; now I will enter into action to see what influence I can have on Beth and, via her, on the channels that form part of the boycott. And it is I, again, who will have to beat at the doors of many friends that I have made who are producers of the most important Cable News Networks programs.

And I tell you here, not to commend myself and even less by arrogance, but to heed the call of the people, to help resolve the problem because they have faith in me that I can accomplish this.

(I do not know) whether I can or cannot achieve this in the comming weeks, because I don't know how deep their rage against our justice system is, which they call corrupt, nor how firm they are in their decision to launch a boycott against Aruba!
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Quote from: "*******"
Morning Everyone Very Happy  Welcome back Dan Exclamation

If it is fact that Lorenzo is Joran's half brother I see more of a reason that he could be involved. If something bad did happen who better to trust than your own brother?

Indeed *******, plus the 'cool' older brother with all the drugs??? This is a no-brainer and indicative of what a FINE job that Paulus has done as a father too ! Rolling Eyes

Yup..He had a lot to lose besides just Joran going to prison. Whatever happened to Natalee I think it was ultimately PVDS that called the shots and decided what to do with her.

Lorenzo's Involvement is still unclear but It would be interesting to know if he had contact with Joran that day and at what time. What was PVDS doing at 4am with Joran and Natalee? Was he picking them up or dropping them off?

What did Joran say in a interview once??..I wish I would have left her with someone responsible??

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »

Quote from: "Anna"

I think it is "known" to be true by many -- but no one can "prove" it without a DNA test.

Well, much as I love Jossy, I don't think he is capable of proving parentage especially based on his speculation on appearance.  One of my kids bears a tremendous resemblence to Justin Timberlake, too, LOL!!!

But I don't hear him saying that Lorenzo himself makes this claim and since there is a suicide involved in this little scandal, don't want us to make that kind of a mistake lightly.  

Jossy can only repeat the rumors.  He is not magic and has no way of knowing such a thing for a fact.  Even birth records are not proof in this day and age.  Nothing short of a DNA proves anything.

JMO

... maybe I should quit while I'm still behind!!! Rolling Eyes

I don't think Jossy is TRYING to "prove" anything -- just that "many people" in Aruba are saying that it is indeed true.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »

JMO

... maybe I should quit while I'm still behind!!! Rolling Eyes

I don't think Jossy is TRYING to "prove" anything -- just that "many people" in Aruba are saying that it is indeed true.

And I am AGREEING with you, Wreck!

Here:

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:58 AM »

I think that if rumor on the island from a majority is that Lorenzo is Paulus' son, that we can safely assume both Paulus and Lorenzo aren't disputing that fact vehemently? No we can't do a paternity test but I am so relieved to hear the KPLD is still on Aruba and they too can access all the information on Lorenzo's current detainment.

Now Anita might be disputing it  Laughing

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »

Jorge Pesquera

was asked to give an accounting for missing funding before Congress from when he was in charge of Public Relations or whatever, tourism, soemthing like that, in Puerto Rico.  After that, he seemed to have an attitude about America in general.

That would be my objection to him among many things.  Why give him the chance to do it to U.S. taxpayers AGAIN!

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »

I think that if rumor on the island from a majority is that Lorenzo is Paulus' son, that we can safely assume both Paulus and Lorenzo aren't disputing that fact vehemently? No we can't do a paternity test but I am so relieved to hear the KPLD is still on Aruba and they too can access all the information on Lorenzo's current detainment.

And the Anybody But Joran crowd endorsing it as I originally heard this from scubajap who also tried to sell us on Leon von Loon as being a big heart throb among the desperate female American tourists.

PERSONA NON GRATA

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »

Morning Everyone Very Happy  Welcome back Dan Exclamation

If it is fact that Lorenzo is Joran's half brother I see more of a reason that he could be involved. If something bad did happen who better to trust than your own brother?

Indeed *******, plus the 'cool' older brother with all the drugs??? This is a no-brainer and indicative of what a FINE job that Paulus has done as a father too ! Rolling Eyes

Yup..He had a lot to lose besides just Joran going to prison. Whatever happened to Natalee I think it was ultimately PVDS that called the shots and decided what to do with her.

Lorenzo's Involvement is still unclear but It would be interesting to know if he had contact with Joran that day and at what time. What was PVDS doing at 4am with Joran and Natalee? Was he picking them up or dropping them off?

What did Joran say in a interview once??..I wish I would have left her with someone responsible??

Lorenzo's involvement is Paulus keeping this crime all in the family.  Lorenzo has the type of people working for him that can dispose or bury a body without hesitation (look at their photos when they were arrested).

Paulus was dropping Joran and a dead Natalee off at Lorenzo's at 4 am.

If I am not mistaken I believe it was Anita saying something about responsible people.  Anita was speaking for Joran but then again Anita speaks for everyone.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »

I am sure the van der Sloots love the idea of involving somebody else especially somebody with a questionable reputation connected to drugs.  Denial is the last thing I would expect from Paulus and doubt Lorenzo, being reclusive, is all that aware of the rumors as I only think they came about fairly late into this despite the fact he was questioned on June 19.

ALE and KLPD would have the phone records of any contact and I note Lorenzo was only called in for questioning once.  Andres Meneses, on the other hand, six or seven times and we don't even know who he is.

PERSONA NON GRATA

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »

And the Anybody But Joran crowd endorsing it as I originally heard this from scubajap who also tried to sell us on Leon von Loon as being a big heart throb among the desperate female American tourists.

I am sorry but scuba just reveals her own propensity toward that type of behavior with remarks like that. I've traveled extensively in my lifetime and have known many other women who did as well, even single not every self-respecting female indulges in what scuba and renfro do. The very fact Aruban posters post on SM's FP about Renfro's children's paternity says enough, she and scubajap have no shame nor any standards.

Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »

That would be my guess as well..Especially if the younger brothers were at the VDS house. It could be to dispose of her or to get her to Lorenzo's house for other reasons like she was injured or still unconscious.

I still wonder if Natalee did get off a call at 3am as it appears something bad happened shortly after..Would be nice to start putting rumors to rest and start putting facts on the table.. Evil or Very Mad

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

Well MF is now posting about this masquerade that Jossy referred to last night on the radio station, who is a 'key witness'  Laughing  Laughing

doesn't it make absolute sense that a key witness would broadcast over the radio?

I cannot stop laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »

I can't tell by looking at people what they are capable of doing nor who their parents are.  I am also not under the impression those other pot growers work for Lorenzo any more than he might well work for them.

It appeared to me to be independent operations, thence the plants found at more than one location.

I have also known several people arrested in this area for growing majijuana but I don't think any of them would be willing to dispose of any body for anybody.  And as in Aruba, LE sometimes seems to look the other way until they have a reason to do something about it.  Ditto the neighborhood crystal meth factory.  

We all have our theories but I tend to think the initial disposal or concealment was kept between Paulus and possibly Joran for the first round.  Movement after that may have taken on a more professional  air but by professional, I mean people within law enforcement or the judiciary in Aruba.  Or possibly a Steve Croes type but certainly within the PIMP known cast of characters.

Just my theory but I do have one like everybody else who has followed this from the first.  I think Lorenzo was some of that spaghetti thrown at the wall that stuck.  Of course, I could be wrong.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Dayhiker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2007, 10:50:39 AM »

Jorge Pesquera

was asked to give an accounting for missing funding before Congress from when he was in charge of Public Relations or whatever, tourism, soemthing like that, in Puerto Rico.  After that, he seemed to have an attitude about America in general.

That would be my objection to him among many things.  Why give him the chance to do it to U.S. taxpayers AGAIN!

Perhaps someone can post that graphic that ATA put out about a year ago griping about the decline in Aruba tourism compared to the rest of the Caribbean. Jamaica was up 17%. Pesquera is like so many of the Aruban rats leaving a sinking ship. He split before the bank could post their low 69% occupancy rate in May 2007.

"ARUBA...THE CREAM OF THE CRAP IN THE CARIBBEAN."
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.