March 28, 2024, 05:26:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brittney Wood 19 yo, Tillmans Corner AL, last seen 05/31/2012  (Read 331939 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #400 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:25 PM »

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/02/brittney_woods_stepmother_crit.html#incart_river

Brittney Wood's stepmother criticizes Randall 'Scott' Wood's prison sentence as questions persist on girl's whereabouts

By John Sharp | jsharp@al.com

on February 26, 2015 at 3:02 PM, updated February 26, 2015 at 3:34 PM

A three-year prison term for the uncle of missing teen Brittney Wood simply "was not enough," her stepmother said Thursday.

Stephanie Hanke, whose efforts to find Wood - who went missing on May 30, 2012, at age 19 - said she felt that 45-year-old Randall "Scott" Wood's involvement in the Wood family sex ring links directly to her stepdaughter.

"Whether or not he was involved in Brittney's disappearance that night, only he and those involved know but, definitely, his actions on what was going on in the sex ring involved Brittney," Hanke said after Wood was sentenced by Judge Jody Bishop in the Baldwin County Courthouse.

"Brittney was a victim and she is gone because of this sex ring," Hanke added.

Baldwin County Assistant District Attorney Teresa Heinz said that Wood was one of the first people to come forward to admit his guilt during an investigation that has led to 11 arrests and Bishop's sentencing of Wendy Holland in December to 219 years in prison.

"Obviously, there was some consideration given to Mr. Wood," Heinz said. "He was ... kind of the reason why we have this case to begin with. Due to his circumstances and willingness to accept guilt very early on in the matter, we took that into consideration (during sentencing)."

She added, "He was one of the first disclosures that basically brought us to our victim and, based on that, the investigation began."

Wood will have to register as a sex offender, pay court costs and fines, and will have to testify if called upon in other cases pending against other participants in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

"He may very well have to come and testify," Heinz said.

Wood's Baldwin County sentence will run concurrent with whatever he might get in Mobile County. Wood faces charges of felony sodomy and rape as well as child enticement. His next court date is March 19.

What Wood might know

Heinz said she believes Wood has disclosed everything he knows about the case, and she doesn't think he is withholding any information about Brittney Wood's whereabouts.

Holding out hope

Hanke said she is hopeful details about her stepdaughter's whereabouts eventually leaks out during one of the court proceedings.

On Thursday, Randall "Scott" Wood said little during the brief sentencing hearing before Bishop. Wood also instructed his attorney not to make any statements to the media.

"Nothing has come forward," Hanke said.

She is pleased that, as a condition of the sentencing, Wood could have to testify during other court hearings.

Dustin Kent's fate

Wood's sentencing was also to take place the same time as Dustin Kent, 38, Mobile.

Kent's sentencing was pushed back from Thursday to 9 a.m. May 21, as an investigation continues.

According to a court filing Thursday, Kent is being cooperating with authorities in Mobile and Baldwin counties in several ongoing investigations. His involvement, the court documents reads, "is expected to have a potentially significant impact on his sentencing" and that a 120-day postponement was necessary.

Kent, on July 31, 2014, was the first of the people involved in the criminal sex acts to plead guilty. He faces sentencing on a guilty plea of second-degree rape and sodomy.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/02/missing_teen_brittney_woods_un.html

Missing teen Brittney Wood's uncle sentenced to prison for involvement in family sex ring

John Sharp | jsharp@al.com By John Sharp | jsharp@al.com

on February 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM, updated February 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Randall "Scott" Wood

A Mobile man and uncle to missing teen Brittney Wood was sentenced to prison Thursday for his involvement in an incestuous sex ring that has resulted in 11 arrests in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

Randall "Scott" Wood, 45, was sentenced to 15 years in prison, but he will only have to serve up to three years under a split-sentence imposed by Judge Jody Bishop.

Under terms of the sentencing guidelines, Wood will serve five years probation after he is released from prison. The balance of his sentence is suspended, meaning that if Wood serves out the terms of his probation, the remainder of his sentence is dismissed.

Wood was one of the family members to plead guilty to sex-related crimes that involved minors and which led to Bishop rendering a 219-year sentence to Wendy Holland, who is believed to be one of the ringleaders in a string of sex crimes to children.

Wood faces additional sentencing in Mobile County. He is scheduled for an 8:30 a.m. plea hearing on March 19 on felony charges of rape and sodomy. He also faces a charge of child enticement.

Bishop ruled that Wood's sentencing in Baldwin County will run concurrent with whatever sentence he might get in Mobile County.

Uncle of Missing South Alabama Teenager Brittney Wood Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for His role in an Incestuous Sex Ring

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2015/03/01/uncle-of-missing-south-alabama-teenager-brittney-wood-sentenced-to-3-years-in-prison-for-his-role-in-an-incestuous-sex-ring/

I am glad they are rounding up all of these dirt-bags, but "3 YEARS, THAT’S IT? How can some one commit such unspeakable crimes over so many years and incest no less and get a slap on the wrist of a 3 year prison sentence?"

Hopefully one day there will be Justice for Brittney Wood.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/02/missing_teen_brittney_woods_un.html

Missing teen Brittney Wood's uncle sentenced to prison for involvement in family sex ring

John Sharp | jsharp@al.com By John Sharp | jsharp@al.com

on February 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM, updated February 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Randall "Scott" Wood

A Mobile man and uncle to missing teen Brittney Wood was sentenced to prison Thursday for his involvement in an incestuous sex ring that has resulted in 11 arrests in Mobile and Baldwin counties.

Randall "Scott" Wood, 45, was sentenced to 15 years in prison, but he will only have to serve up to three years under a split-sentence imposed by Judge Jody Bishop.

Under terms of the sentencing guidelines, Wood will serve five years probation after he is released from prison. The balance of his sentence is suspended, meaning that if Wood serves out the terms of his probation, the remainder of his sentence is dismissed.

Wood was one of the family members to plead guilty to sex-related crimes that involved minors and which led to Bishop rendering a 219-year sentence to Wendy Holland, who is believed to be one of the ringleaders in a string of sex crimes to children.

Wood faces additional sentencing in Mobile County. He is scheduled for an 8:30 a.m. plea hearing on March 19 on felony charges of rape and sodomy. He also faces a charge of child enticement.

Bishop ruled that Wood's sentencing in Baldwin County will run concurrent with whatever sentence he might get in Mobile County.

Uncle of Missing South Alabama Teenager Brittney Wood Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for His role in an Incestuous Sex Ring

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2015/03/01/uncle-of-missing-south-alabama-teenager-brittney-wood-sentenced-to-3-years-in-prison-for-his-role-in-an-incestuous-sex-ring/

I am glad they are rounding up all of these dirt-bags, but "3 YEARS, THAT’S IT? How can some one commit such unspeakable crimes over so many years and incest no less and get a slap on the wrist of a 3 year prison sentence?"

Hopefully one day there will be Justice for Brittney Wood.

They gave him a lot of consideration because he reported it even though he was involved in it.  Don't remember now how long he'd actually been staying there, but I do recall that he and his family lived in another state.  He lived with Donnie, Wendy, and their family while he worked nearby from what I read early on.  Maybe the trips home gave him the time away from that madness to have a conscience?  I don't know, but no one else had the decency to report and save these children!

Not taking up for him at all, his acts were despicable.  But I'm glad he made that call, for whatever reason.

JMO

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #403 on: July 17, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »

http://www.local15tv.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wpmi_-trial-dates-set-wood-family-sex-ring-case-22045.shtml

Trial Dates Set In Wood Family Sex Ring Case
Updated: Thursday, July 16 2015, 08:31 PM EDT

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) Trial dates are now set in Mobile County for three of the 11 defendants in an alleged family sex ring involving family and friends of missing teen mom Brittney Wood.

The remaining five defendants in the case which spans Mobile and Baldwin counties rejected another round of plea deal offers Thursday, meaning the victims will have to testify when the cases go to trial beginning this October.

At this point all five want their cases to go to trial, including Chessie Wood, the mother of Brittney Wood. Wood has been missing since May 2012.

"We're going to go to trial. I've got an innocent client. We're going to prove it ," said Chessie Wood's attorney Michael McDuffie.

Since Brittney Wood's disappearance nearly a dozen relatives and family friends of Brittney have been arrested on sex charges involving children.

"I was hoping we would get some kind of answers. We need some answers for what happened to Brittney. Because all this is surrounding her," said Brittney's stepmom Stephanie Hanke.

On Thursday, trial dates were set. Chessie Wood's trial will take place March 28, 2016. Chessie's sister Mendy Kent will go to trial October 5, 2015. And family friend Billy Brownlee's trial is set for January 7, 2016. He was convicted on separate charges in Baldwin County in October of 2014.

"I was hoping these survivors, I don't want to call them victims because they are survivors, wouldn't have to testify and go through this again," said Hanke.

"Some of them were victims just a few times others were victims from as far back as they can remember. But they are very strong kids, all of them, and want to see justice happen," said Assistant District Attorney Nicki Patterson.

Other friends of the family, James Cumbaa and Butch Morgan, will have another chance to accept plea deals next month at a status hearing.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #404 on: October 05, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »

http://www.local15tv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Aunt-of-Brittany-Wood-Expected-in-Court-Monday--214305.shtml#.VhJ89CuF_ct

Aunt of Missing Brittney Wood Expected in Court Monday
Updated: Sun, Oct 04 2015, 07:40 PM | Brittany Otis

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) On Monday, a jury could decide the fate of Mendy Kent, the aunt of Brittney Wood.

Kent is charged with sexual abuse of a child and sodomy in the alleged sex ring involving several members of Brittney Wood's family and friends.

Wood has been missing since May 2012.

Kent's trial is set for Monday at 8:30 a.m.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #405 on: October 05, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »

http://www.local15tv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Jury-Selection-Underway-in-Mendy-Kent-39-s-Trial-214635.shtml#.VhLtNCuF_cu

Jury Selection Underway in Mendy Kent's Trial

Updated: Mon, Oct 05 2015, 12:32 PM | Taren D Reed

MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WPMI) Jury selection is underway in the trial for one of the women accused in the child sex ring involving family and friends of Brittany Wood.

Mendy Kent is Brittany's aunt. She's charged with sexual abuse of a child and sodomy. Her trial started Monday.

Brittany Wood has been missing for three years. Several other family members and family friends have already been charged, some have been convicted, others have accepted plea deals.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #406 on: October 06, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/30199045/mendy-kent-wood-found-guilty-of-using-children-for-sex

Mendy Wood Kent found guilty of using children for sex
Posted: Oct 06, 2015 1:25 PM CST
Updated: Oct 06, 2015 2:19 PM CST
By Steve Alexander, FOX10 News Reporter
Connect

MOBILE, AL (WALA) -

A Mobile County jury has found Mendy Kent guilty of first degree sex abuse and second degree sodomy.

Kent, who is the aunt of missing teen Brittney Wood, is one of nearly a dozen suspects accused of using children for sex.

According to Assistant District Attorney Nicki Patterson, the maximum sentence on this charge is 40 years in prison with a minimum of 10 years. Patterson says she's hoping for the maximum sentence because of the pain inflicted on the victims who testified.

Kent turned down a plea offer from the prosecution, to plead guilty to sodomy, with the sex abuse charge being dropped.

She could have been sentenced to two to 20 years in prison for that charge.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #407 on: October 06, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »

http://wkrg.com/2015/10/06/aunt-of-brittany-wood-found-guilty-of-sodomy-sex-abuse/

Aunt of Brittney Wood Found Guilty of Sodomy, Sex Abuse
Debbie WilliamsJ.B. Biunno   By Debbie Williams and J.B. Biunno Published: October 6, 2015, 1:00 pm Updated: October 6, 2015, 4:27 pm

Mendy Kent, the aunt of Brittany Wood, was found guilty of second-degree sodomy and sex abuse. The jury heard from five witnesses on Tuesday morning, including one of the victims.. After the guilty verdict prosecutor Nikki Patterson spoke about the courage of the victims in this case to come forward.  “For these children and not just the child in this particular case, there are a number of children involved here, they grew up, these were their families. This is what they knew.”

Kent’s husband Dustin, who has already pleaded guilty to child sex charges in Baldwin County, testified against his wife.

Closing arguments were heard just before lunchtime. It took jurors just over an hour to return with guilty verdicts on both charges.

You might remember Brittney Wood vanished in May of 2012. Some have speculated she was going to reveal the sex abuse in the family to police when she disappeared.

Eleven people have been charged in the case so far.

Sentencing is scheduled for November 5. Kent faces ten to forty years behind bars.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #408 on: October 06, 2015, 05:16:31 PM »

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/10/brittany_wood_aunt_convicted_o.html

Brittney Wood's aunt convicted of sodomy, sex abuse

Jeremy Gray | jgray@al.com By Jeremy Gray | jgray@al.com

on October 06, 2015 at 2:37 PM, updated October 06, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Mendy Kent, the aunt of Brittney Wood, a Mobile mother who went missing in 2012, today was convicted of sodomy and sex abuse of a child under 12, according to court records.

Kent's sentencing is set for Nov. 12 in Mobile County.

The conviction is the latest development in the case that began when Wood was last seen by Donnie Holland Sr., who was married to Wendy Wood Holland at the time. Wendy is Mendy's twin sister.

Donnie Holland was found dead with a bullet wound to the back of the head a short time after Brittney Wood disappeared. She was 19 years old at the time.

His death has since been ruled a suicide and Wood is presumed dead.

Wendy Wood Holland, 35, was sentenced Jan. 15 by Baldwin County Judge Jody Bishop to 219 years in prison on charges of sodomy, sexual torture, and sex abuse to a child under age 12. She faces two sodomy counts in Mobile County.

Prosecutors have since said the sexual abuse spanned for at least three generations within the same family and that the defendants, in some of the cases, might have been victims themselves more than 30 years ago.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #409 on: October 06, 2015, 05:22:05 PM »

http://www.wtvm.com/story/30184604/woman-accused-of-using-children-for-sex-scheduled-for-trial-monday

Trial begins for woman accused of using children for sex
Posted: Oct 05, 2015 4:19 AM CST
Updated: Oct 05, 2015 4:13 PM CST

Before jury selection earlier in the day, Assistant District Attorney Nicki Patterson outlined the charges against Mendy Kent.

Patterson said, "She's on trial here in Mobile County on two charges. One is sex abuse in the first degree, which is an allegation of touching before the child was 12, and the second is sodomy in the second degree, which is an allegation of sodomy when the child was 13."

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #410 on: October 06, 2015, 06:53:44 PM »

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/10/brittany_wood_aunt_convicted_o.html

Mendy Kent, the aunt of Brittney Wood, a Mobile mother who went missing in 2012, today was convicted of sodomy and sex abuse of a child under 12, according to court records.

The conviction is the latest development in the case that began when Wood was last seen by Donnie Holland Sr., who was married to Wendy Wood Holland at the time. Wendy is Mendy's twin sister.

Donnie Holland was found dead with a bullet wound to the back of the head a short time after Brittney Wood disappeared. She was 19 years old at the time.

Wendy Wood Holland, 35, was sentenced Jan. 15 by Baldwin County Judge Jody Bishop to 219 years in prison on charges of sodomy, sexual torture, and sex abuse to a child under age 12. She faces two sodomy counts in Mobile County.

Prosecutors have since said the sexual abuse spanned for at least three generations within the same family and that the defendants, in some of the cases, might have been victims themselves more than 30 years ago.

Yes! Time for them to bring down this whole family of perverts.

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #411 on: October 06, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »

I'd just hoped something would come out that would lead to Brittney too.   

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #412 on: October 07, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »

Agree,sometimes I think her uncle Donnie killed her before killing himself then sometimes........I like to think Brittney killed her uncle Donnie then escaped that awful life and started a new one far away.Maybe she'll show up one day when all of these perverts are dealt with.Gotta have hope...... an angelic monkey

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #413 on: October 07, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »

Agree,sometimes I think her uncle Donnie killed her before killing himself then sometimes........I like to think Brittney killed her uncle Donnie then escaped that awful life and started a new one far away.Maybe she'll show up one day when all of these perverts are dealt with.Gotta have hope...... an angelic monkey

bbm I like to think like you like to think too!  But I've also wondered if someone else killed them both.   

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #414 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/30221291/jurors-on-mendy-wood-kent-trial-donate-checks-to-cac#ixzz3o1xgCskl

Jurors on Mendy Wood Kent trial donate checks to CAC
Posted: Oct 08, 2015 9:57 PM CST
Updated: Oct 08, 2015 9:57 PM CST
By Kati Weis, FOX10 News Reporter

MOBILE, AL (WALA) -

After a Mobile County Jury found Mendy Wood Kent guilty of using children in her family for sex, all 12 jurors made an independent decision to donate their county compensation checks to the Child Advocacy Center (CAC) of Mobile, an agency that counseled the victims in the case.

"It was an easy decision to make," one juror told FOX10 News.

Pat Guyton, Director of the Child Advocacy Center, said the jurors felt compelled to donate their checks to the CAC following intense testimony by the child victim in the case.

"I think the jurors were probably moved when they heard the testimony of the victim about what happened, and the horrendous nature of the abuse that happened over years," said Guyton. "To have to testify against a member of your own family, it's very, very hard to do, and this was a very brave victim."

The money donated will go toward the center's counseling programs, Guyton said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #415 on: October 22, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/30327021/dustin-kent-uncle-of-brittany-wood-sentenced-to-17-years-for-incest-sodomy

Dustin Kent, uncle of Brittney Wood, sentenced to 17 years for rape, sodomy
Posted: Oct 22, 2015 11:52 AM CST
Updated: Oct 22, 2015 5:26 PM CST
By Will Robinson-Smith, FOX10 News Reporter
By Photojournalist: Guy Turnbow

BAY MINETTE, AL (WALA) -

Seven years after sex crimes committed by Dustin Kent, 39, against a family member, a sentence of 17 years was handed down Thursday morning.

Kent accepted a plea deal in July 2014 and avoided bringing the case to trial. The victim in the case was between 12- and 16-years-old at the time of the crime.

Assistant District Attorney Teresa Heinz said she was grateful that the victim did not have to testify, and relive the traumatizing experiences, for a fourth time in court.

That means a lot to me, but it does not make up for what he put my victim through,” Heinz said.

“I can say as well that this is not how (Kent) was raised he came and comes from an extraordinarily good family, but he married into a family that was pretty much straight from hell,” defense attorney John Beck said.

Just before his sentence was issued, Kent made an apology directed toward the victim. Beck said that Kent has expressed remorse for his crimes on numerous occasions.

“To the extent that it matters, he’s extremely remorseful for his conduct, as he should be. But I think he also understands there’s probably no amount of grace, at least on this earth that will, that will redeem him,” Beck said.

Kent’s sentencing also marks the closing of a chapter in the case.

“This was the last defendant to be sentenced in Baldwin County on any circuit court cases. So other than to assist the Mobile County DA’s office, at this time we have nothing pending in circuit court in Baldwin County,” Heinz said.

Kent will be back in front of a Mobile County judge for his sentencing for similar charges on November 5, according to court records.

The 17 years issued on Thursday will run concurrently with the sentence issued in Mobile County.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2015/10/23/alabama-judge-court-opinions-language-too-graphic/74486744/

Alabama judge: Court opinion's language too graphic
JAY REEVES, Associated Press 7:03 p.m. CDT October 23, 2015

BIRMINGHAM — Judges on a state appeals court included too much graphic detail about a sex abuse and sodomy case in a written opinion upholding a man's convictions, one of their colleagues said Friday.

Judge Michael Joiner said he agreed with the decision of his three peers on the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals to uphold William Brownlee's convictions on the charges. Brownlee is serving 20 years in prison after being convicted of repeatedly molesting an underage girl.

But Joiner took issue with the other judges' decision to include graphic portions of her testimony from Brownlee's trial, held last year in Baldwin County. The opinion does not include the victim's name, just initials.

Quoting a 2008 law review article, Joiner said courts are a "leading purveyor of incredibly intimate and embarrassing information about both adults and children who happen to be pulled into the judicial system."

Joiner said he didn't mean to suggest that Brownlee's "deplorable crimes should be minimized or hidden," or that it's easy to determine how much detail of a crime should be included in an appellate decision.

"But given that our published opinions are more accessible to the public than ever before, we must exercise discretion in deciding whether a published opinion is necessary and, if so, how much factual detail should be included," Joiner wrote. "I believe that the court's opinion in this case provides more — and, in particular, more graphic — detail than is necessary to decide."

Brownlee was accused of being part of a large ring of relatives and friends who sexually abused children and swapped their own kids for sex for years. Jurors rejected his claims that he was forced to participate.

You can read the decision at the link:

http://law.justia.com/cases/alabama/court-of-appeals-criminal/2015/140522.html

The language is graphic, but if you read her testimony and then what he eventually admitted to investigators...  His statement completely corroborates the victim's statement, only he claims he was forced; but then uses this defense?!!!

http://law.justia.com/cases/alabama/court-of-appeals-criminal/2015/140522.html

(Page 11)

Brownlee asserts that his defense was that D.D.H. either mistakenly identified him or accused him because she was mad after he had reprimanded her for making a derogatory remark about his grandchildren.  

My hope is that this child's truth sets her free from the hell she lived in for too many years.  Her being pulled into the judicial system will hopefully prove to be her saving grace and the end to generations of extreme sexual abuse for many other children as well.  

There have been 15 indictments in relation to the abuse of this child.  

It was uncomfortable reading her testimony, but I'm glad it was available.  It helped confirm my gut feeling that this guy was a complete pervert just like the others and is where he belongs.  20 years doesn't seem like enough though.

JMO

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:03:38 PM by texasmom » Logged

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »

http://wkrg.com/2015/10/24/brownlee-conviction-upheld-judge-cautions-others/

Brownlee Conviction Upheld, Judge Cautions Others
By WKRG Staff Published: October 24, 2015, 6:11 am

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – An Alabama judge says colleagues on a state appeals court included too much graphic detail about a sex abuse and sodomy case in a written opinion upholding a man’s convictions.

Judge Michael Joiner agreed Friday with three peers on the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals who upheld William Brownlee’s convictions on the charges. Brownlee is serving 20 years in prison after being convicted of repeatedly molesting an underage girl.

But Joiner took issue with the graphic nature of the wording the judges used to describe the crimes.

Joiner says he doesn’t mean Brownlee’s crimes should be ignored or covered up. But he says courts must use discretion, because written opinions are more available to the public than ever.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #418 on: November 12, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/30498391/mendy-kent-scheduled-for-sentencing

Mendy Kent sentenced to maximum of 40 years
Posted: Nov 12, 2015 1:07 PM CST
Updated: Nov 12, 2015 1:07 PM CST

MOBILE, AL (WALA) -

We want to alert you to new developments in a very disturbing case Fox Ten News has been committed to following for three years.

The case involves a child sex abuse investigation that spans Mobile and Baldwin Counties.

Mendy Kent was sentenced Thursday after a Mobile County jury convicted Kent of sodomy and sex abuse of a child under 12.

"PARTICULARLY EGREGIOUS"

Assistant District Attorney Nicki Patterson says the victim was about 9 in the first incident and 13 in the second incident.

Patterson said, "The second incident was particularly egregious because it involved the child's mother and the child's aunt and the child with other family members observing.  And, in terms of scarring someone's psyche, that's probably as bad as it gets."   

Kent's Attorney John Grow argued Kent had no previous criminal record and called the incidents isolated.

Grow said, "According to the pre-sentence report, there was no recidivism, no chance of it, a very low chance, because she's not that type of person."

FORTY YEARS TOTAL

Before imposing sentence, Judge Rick Stout said that this was one of the most troubling cases he has heard in his career, because it was so egregious, and the impact child abuse has on victims.

Then, Judge Stout handed down his sentence: twenty years on each count to run consecutively.

That makes a total of forty years in prison, the maximum Kent could have received.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/30327021/dustin-kent-uncle-of-brittany-wood-sentenced-to-17-years-for-incest-sodomy

Dustin Kent, uncle of Brittney Wood, sentenced to 17 years for rape, sodomy
Posted: Oct 22, 2015 11:52 AM CST
Updated: Oct 22, 2015 5:26 PM CST
By Will Robinson-Smith, FOX10 News Reporter
By Photojournalist: Guy Turnbow

BAY MINETTE, AL (WALA) -

Seven years after sex crimes committed by Dustin Kent, 39, against a family member, a sentence of 17 years was handed down Thursday morning.

Kent accepted a plea deal in July 2014 and avoided bringing the case to trial. The victim in the case was between 12- and 16-years-old at the time of the crime.

Assistant District Attorney Teresa Heinz said she was grateful that the victim did not have to testify, and relive the traumatizing experiences, for a fourth time in court.

That means a lot to me, but it does not make up for what he put my victim through,” Heinz said.

“I can say as well that this is not how (Kent) was raised he came and comes from an extraordinarily good family, but he married into a family that was pretty much straight from hell,” defense attorney John Beck said.

Just before his sentence was issued, Kent made an apology directed toward the victim. Beck said that Kent has expressed remorse for his crimes on numerous occasions.

“To the extent that it matters, he’s extremely remorseful for his conduct, as he should be. But I think he also understands there’s probably no amount of grace, at least on this earth that will, that will redeem him,” Beck said.

Kent’s sentencing also marks the closing of a chapter in the case.

“This was the last defendant to be sentenced in Baldwin County on any circuit court cases. So other than to assist the Mobile County DA’s office, at this time we have nothing pending in circuit court in Baldwin County,” Heinz said.

Kent will be back in front of a Mobile County judge for his sentencing for similar charges on November 5, according to court records.

The 17 years issued on Thursday will run concurrently with the sentence issued in Mobile County.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/30446052/dustin-kent-uncle-of-brittney-wood-sentenced-in-mobile-for-rape-sodomy

Dustin Kent, uncle of Brittney Wood, sentenced in Mobile for rape, sodomy
Posted: Nov 05, 2015 10:51 AM CST
Updated: Nov 05, 2015 10:51 AM CST
Posted By Rebekah Hoeger, FOX10 News Reporter

MOBILE, AL (WALA) -

Dustin Kent -- uncle of missing teen Brittney Wood -- today was sentenced in Mobile Circuit Court to 17 years for his sex crimes. The sentence is to be served concurrently with the 17-year sentence he received Oct. 22 in Baldwin County.

Kent accepted a plea deal in July 14 and avoided bringing the case to trial. The victim in the case was between 12- and 16-years-old at the time of the crime. Kent entered a plea deal that allowed him to drop charges of incest by pleading guilty to rape in the second degree and sodomy in the second degree.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.