March 28, 2024, 02:34:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malnourished 10 yo Girl Found in Locked Closet - Kansas City, MO  (Read 8833 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 23, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »

http://www.gadailynews.com/news/local/121854-police-malnourished-child-found-locked-in-closet.html
Police: malnourished child found locked in closet
June 22, 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -

Kansas City police are investigating the discovery of a malnourished 10-year-old girl who was found locked in the closet of an apartment Friday.

The girl was discovered in the apartment in the 1300 block of Highland Avenue. Police said she was covered in urine and feces and appeared to have been there for quite some time.

Police did not offer immediate details how long the girl had been in the closet.

Neighbor Kimberly Kelley, who lived in the area for three years, said she knew about two younger children living at the apartment, but was unaware of the 10-year-old.

"She told us she only had two kids," she said.

People who said they saw the girl talking to police said she appeared to be "very skinny" and looked younger than 10.
 ::snipping2::
KMBC 9's Cliff Judy said the girl's mother and her boyfriend are in custody. The two other children who live with her have been taken into protective custody.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/23/4584377/32-pound-10-year-old-found-locked.html
32-pound 10-year-old found locked in Mo. closet
June 23, 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Authorities say a 10-year-old Kansas City girl who weighed just 32 pounds was found locked in a closet that reeked of urine.

Prosecutors filed charges of assault and child abuse and endangerment against the girl's 29-year-old mother Saturday in Jackson County Circuit Court. The Associated Press is not naming the mother to protect the child's identity.

Officers freed the girl from the closet after responding Friday morning to a call to a child abuse hotline. The mother was arrested later after she was found with two younger children.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxQnZyv4PM
Police: malnourished girl, 10, found locked in closet
Published on Jun 22, 2012 by kmbctv

Police said a malnourished 10-year-old girl was found locked in a closet in a Kansas City apartment Friday. KMBC 9's Cliff Judy reports.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/23/3672776/mother-charged-in-closet-girl.html
Girl in barricaded closet | Living conditions are called ‘completely atrocious’
Mother of girl found in barricaded closet is charged with child abuse
The emaciated 10-year-old told police she had no room and no bed and sometimes went days without food.

June 23, 2012

Jacole Prince

In an apartment that reeked of urine, a Kansas City police officer called out.

“Is anyone in here?”

Neighbors had said not a soul was home. But a tiny voice answered from a barricaded closet.

“Yes.”

Officers pushed aside a crib stuffed with blankets and shoes. Using a pocketknife, they cut open the doors that had been tied shut with a shoelace or rope.

Inside they found a 32-pound, 10-year-old girl surrounded by her own waste.

Hours after her discovery Friday morning, police tracked down her mother, Jacole Prince, 29, at her boyfriend’s place. Her two other daughters, ages 2 and 8, seemed well fed and clean by all accounts. The girls were taken into protective custody and Prince was arrested.

On Saturday, she was charged with assault, abuse of a child and endangering a child’s welfare.
The girl — identified only as “LP” — explained to police her appalling living conditions. According to court records, she had no room and no bed and was rarely allowed to leave the closet. And she regularly went for days without food.

She fit into a 2T shirt suited for a toddler. Her pants, a 4T, sagged on LP’s tiny frame.

Children’s Mercy Hospital officials told authorities that LP had been treated there in 2006 and weighed 26 pounds. She had gained only six pounds in the six years since that visit, court records showed.
LP told officers the day she was freed from the closet that she wasn’t allowed to go out to breakfast with her mother that morning because “she messes herself.” LP told them that when she pees in her pants, her mother strikes her in the back really hard.

The little girl also told detectives that she had not left the closet for two days and does not eat every day. The child said she had not eaten Friday.

In court records, Prince acknowledged that she didn’t allow her daughter to leave the house because she was embarrassed of the girl’s appearance. She admitted that LP was so malnourished that she would probably be in trouble if someone saw her in that condition.

LP remains hospitalized.

The mother’s boyfriend, who has denied knowing that the child was confined to the closet, hasn’t been charged in the case. However, Baker did not rule out further charges because the investigation is ongoing and it is too early to say if the abuse occurred for months or years.

“But amazingly, as children tend to surprise all of us, she had very good spirits. She was very cooperative with police. She let them know she doesn’t want to go back home,” the prosecutor said.

Baker said authorities were trying to determine whether LP had ever attended school. It also wasn’t immediately clear whether LP’s living conditions had been reported to authorities before.
But Baker said an anonymous phone call probably saved the little girl’s life. Someone called the child abuse hotline for the Missouri Children’s Division. The caller said three children lived at the apartment, but one child was forced to live inside a closet.

The state agency notified police. When they arrived at the apartment in the 1300 block of Highland Avenue, Prince wasn’t home.

Authorities asked neighbors about the mother and three girls.

“She only has two daughters that stay here,” a neighbor told police.

After announcing the charges Saturday, Baker urged people to use the hotline whenever they suspect abuse.

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »

http://www.kctv5.com/story/18864069/mother-faces-multiple-charges-after-malnourished-daughter-found-locked-in-closet?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Mother faces multiple charges after malnourished daughter found locked in closet
June 23, 2012

Under comments, I see a link where someone seems to be trying to collect money.  Isn't there something similar going in the Caylee Anthony Threads?
Jacob Rogers
7 hours ago
-3 updown
Share | Flag
THIS IS THE EXACT REASON I STARTED MY CAMPAIGN. PLEASE, I AM BEGING ALL OF YOU TO PLEASE MAKE A CONTRIBUTION. I AM DEDICATING 20% OF ALL PROCEEDS TO THIS POOR CHILD. FUNDS WILL BE SENT TO THE KANSAS CITY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES. www.indiegogo.com/giving-hope​

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/25/3675081/arraignment-held-for-kc-mom-accused.html
Arraignment held for KC mom accused of locking girl, 10, in closet
June 25, 2012

Jacole Prince, 29, remained calm and expressionless during the brief hearing. She faces charges of assault, child abuse and child endangerment for allegedly confining the girl in the closet, failing to properly feed her and failing to seek medical treatment for her. The judge entered a routine not-guilty plea for Prince and asked if she could afford an attorney. In a barely audible voice, Prince said she could not and the judge ordered a public defender screening.

The judge gave Prince a $200,000 cash-only bond and set her next court appearance for July 12.

Meanwhile, Prince’s daughter remains hospitalized for treatment. When police found her Friday morning locked in an apartment closet in the 1300 block of Highland Avenue, she weighed just 32-pounds — less than half the average weight for her age.
Investigators said they don’t know why the 10-year-old girl apparently was singled out for abuse. They also don’t know the extent of her physical and developmental delays after the significant amount of time she apparently spent confined. It was unclear when she last attended school.

The girl wasn’t allowed regular meals or access to a restroom, according to court records. She lived amid her own waste, police said.
Police were trying to determine whether the girl’s biological father is alive.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

This makes me so angry I could spit.
I believe her punishment should be the same as what she put her daughter through and then let the legal system have at her!

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »

Without knowing whether there were prior complaints to children's services or the police I will say that I am so very thankful LE took the complaint seriously enough to enter the apartment and save the little girl.

an angelic monkey

I don't care whether or not the other two children were well fed and clean, anytime a sibling witnesses the abuse of another sibling they are affected at a very deep place in their heart and soul.  This lady effectively abused all three of her children, one physically and two psycholgically.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »

Without knowing whether there were prior complaints to children's services or the police I will say that I am so very thankful LE took the complaint seriously enough to enter the apartment and save the little girl.

an angelic monkey

I don't care whether or not the other two children were well fed and clean, anytime a sibling witnesses the abuse of another sibling they are affected at a very deep place in their heart and soul.  This lady effectively abused all three of her children, one physically and two psycholgically.

BBM
I totally agree with what you're saying on both accounts, Amys Sister.   

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.