April 19, 2024, 07:29:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pet question  (Read 3027 times)
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« on: July 12, 2007, 06:06:05 AM »

ok so i've been wanting a pet turtle for months and my baby sister (she's almost 3) found one for me  today out in the wild! Yeah!! His name is Mr Turtle and he does not like his box. He tries to climb out of it...so far, for him, it's been 50-50. Half the time getting out, half the time rolling on his back. Anyway, I've let him roam around the  house (many times it has taken me awhile to find him  Laughing ) Anyway, I am going to the pet store today to get him whatever he needs but has anyone had a turtle for a pet? Can anyone tell me how to care for him? What he likes and needs? Mr Turtle is the cutest thing and is very active. I've never seen a turtle so curious!! He has such a personality. I'm thinking they like to swim?? So do I need like a tank with half water half land? And I'm giving him lettuce but he's not eating. So anyone with some experiance? Thanks (and Mr Turtle thanks you too Very Happy )

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:39 AM »

Hi spooky!

We have had and currently have turtles.

We've had a tortoise, water turtles and 'mud' or 'box' turtle variety.

We currently have 3 baby mud turtles (in a 35 gal tank) -- but also had a mud or box turtle for 13 years that my hubby found out in the wild and he was quite old at the time.

Our tank is filled 3/4 with water and my husband builds rock formations and buys log looking things. The turtles breathe air -- but live in the water and can stay under water for very extended periods of time. They just stick their little nose tips up to get some air:-)

We give them frozen shrimp (from the pet store) and these 'sticks' (from the pet store) and my husband cuts up chicken in small chuncks and freezes it.

One of our guys was about 2 weeks old when we got it. The other 2 were just a bit older. They're still very small.

We also started with about 12 guppies in there -- and wee, you know guppies! Got lots now! But they move too fast for turtles to catch:-)

Let me know what the pet store says -- especially as to the TYPE of turtle -- and I'll see if my hubby can add anything. Other than snakes -- he likes reptiles. We also had an exotic lizard' terrarium when we first married.

And he had a cayman (alligator) in a water tank when we first met. It wanted to eat my yorkies. Vane went to the Elvis alligator zoo in Davie, Fl.

We're heading down to the Keys for a wedding this weekend -- so if I don't reply, that is why.

They are so cute. And funny. And calming. Ommmmmm.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »

I've had many turtles, and it's surprising how much they will interact with you. My latest little girl would come swimming over when I started talking to her, just to say hello. So cute!
She died for unknown reasons, but we had her for 3 years, and I was very sad to say good-bye. I really loved that little creature.

Good Luck! You'll enjoy having a turtle around.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:48:42 PM »

I know some turtles are land turtles almost exclusively. I never really kept a turtle, but I did have several lizzards and I know they had special lighting requirements. They needed the proper temperature, to be kept warm and have UV lighting to digest their food. The lizzards also had specific vitamin requirements. I would have to buy crickets and take off one of their back legs so they couldn't jump away from the lizzards to fast. After that I would have to shake them in a bag (like shake and bake) with vitamin and mineral powder to keep them from developing particularly calcium deficiency imparticular, but vitamin deficiency in general.

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:16 AM »

Thanks so much for the replies. Sorry it took me so long to reply back (had some internet problems).
Mr Turtle is doing well. He is a land turtle. He WILL NOT be put into a cage/aquarium. Trust me I've tried. He has the run of the down stairs. I have "turtle proofed" my house so that there are only so many places he can hide. I take him outside everday, while I read, so he can get something to eat and exercise. I keep a saucer of water for him inside for fresh water. But he likes to sleep at my sliding glass door. At the moment my back yard is not completely fenced in, but I am working on fencing it in completely so I can put him back there (which he likes) without having to look up from my book every few minutes to make sure he doesn't get too far. But he wont eat anything I give him, he likes to find his food outside. And he doesn't like kids apparently we learned when my baby bro and sis came over he hid. Ususally he doesn't hide.
But he is doing well. I hope to get my back yard all fixed up for him with hiding places (logs) and a little pool very soon and he should be in heaven Very Happy  He is the sweetest creature!

Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:10:33 PM »

Quote from: "spooky112483"
Thanks so much for the replies. Sorry it took me so long to reply back (had some internet problems).
Mr Turtle is doing well. He is a land turtle. He WILL NOT be put into a cage/aquarium. Trust me I've tried. He has the run of the down stairs. I have "turtle proofed" my house so that there are only so many places he can hide. I take him outside everday, while I read, so he can get something to eat and exercise. I keep a saucer of water for him inside for fresh water. But he likes to sleep at my sliding glass door. At the moment my back yard is not completely fenced in, but I am working on fencing it in completely so I can put him back there (which he likes) without having to look up from my book every few minutes to make sure he doesn't get too far. But he wont eat anything I give him, he likes to find his food outside. And he doesn't like kids apparently we learned when my baby bro and sis came over he hid. Ususally he doesn't hide.
But he is doing well. I hope to get my back yard all fixed up for him with hiding places (logs) and a little pool very soon and he should be in heaven Very Happy  He is the sweetest creature!

Spooky,  you know they like to dig and hibernate when the weather turns chilly.  They will dig down and create a hole to sleep in.  they can also dig under fences, so you need to watch him pretty closely.  Try celery, carrots, and see if he will eat that.  My Dad had a desert tortoise for I think about 20 years.  My Dad passed away, but when he knew he was dieing, he called the zoo and ask for the turtle keeper there to help him find a home for the turtle.  The man from the zoo came and took the turtle home with him.  If I was in the kitchen cooking, the turtle would open the sliding screen door and walk in looking for food.  scared the heck out of me the first time I saw him.  The turtle was about 18 inches around at that time, and would only take food left by my Dad.  Wouldn't touch what I put down, even the same food!  My Dad adored that Turtle.  they had a connection.  My Dad loved animals, and animals loved him!

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:07:48 AM »

Those are some of the cutest stories! Thank you. Mr Turtle is doing well. He is eating fresh fruit and snails and worms. You should have seen him take down this worm last light! I have an aquarium sitting on my floor (no table yet) with two sharks (the little fish looking kind...but mine are albino sharks and are red and white in color) and Mr Turtle likes to go over and stare at them lol! They like to hide in their log when he does that!! But just wanted to let ya'll know that I have figured out what he likes to eat and he is doing well. Thanks so much for the help. I will keep you updated on him 'cause he does the cutest/funniest things!

Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:33:15 AM »

I was going to suggest blueberries, spooky, but I see you found out about the fruit.

When we had our tortoise -- he LOVED blueberries.

Our 3 little 'mud turtles' are still doing fine as well. Now they are about the size of a half dollar. And they entertain and amuse me to no end Smile

The dozen guppies that we started with -- well they've multiplied a bit  Laughing But they're still faster than the turtles  Wink

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »

I've had Guppies, Mollies, Tetras and even some more exotic breeds like rainbows. In the words of the fish guy "Rainbows are sluts. Put 4 in a tank and you'll have 20 in 6 months."

Well, I must just kill all the romance in my household. I've never ever been able to breed fish.

Turtles are cool. For years my brother had one he caught as a teenager. He'd take him out about once a month and scrub his shell with a toothbrush to clean off the algae. "Toto" seemed to like his baths.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.