March 19, 2024, 12:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Peterson Appeals Guilty Verdict, Death Sentence in Laci's Murder  (Read 303525 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »

FWIW:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/true-crime/evil-scott-peterson-torments-dying-mom
EVIL SCOTT PETERSON TORMENTS DYING MOM
December 27, 2012

Sry, but I've got no sympathy for Jackie.  And Scooter will never be suicidal.  He loves himself too much.

Me either. 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »

Mother of notorious death row killer Scott Petersen 'dies from cancer while still maintaining her son's innocence'

Family sources say Jackie Petersen, 70, died earlier this month
 She did not get to visit her son, who is on the condemned wing in San Quentin, before her death
 Scott Peterson was convicted in 2004 of murdering his wife, Laci, and their unborn son Conner on Christmas Eve 2002

He is in the process of appealing his death sentence
10/18/13
The mother of death row killer Scott Peterson has died still believing her son is innocent after she lost her battle with cancer, a family source has revealed.

Jackie Peterson, whose son is on the condemned wing in San Quentin, California, died aged 70 earlier this month, sources close to the family have said.

She stood by her son during his trial and maintained that he was wrongfully convicted for the coldblooded murder of his pregnant 27-year-old wife Laci and their unborn son Conner on Christmas Eve 2002.

Jackie was known to have breathing difficulty and was seen with an oxygen mask for much of her son's hearing.

Her husband, Scott’s father Lee, recently brought her home from hospital so he could care for her in her dying days, the source said.

A source close to the family told RadarOnline: 'Jackie’s death has not been announced publicly. The family does not want the notoriety that will come with it.'

Peterson, 40, pleaded not guilty to the murders and has never revealed what happened before he dumped Laci’s body in San Francisco Bay.

It’s understood Jackie was not able to visit her son behind bars before her death.

The news comes as Scott Petersen is in the process of appealing his sentence

He filed the automatic appeal of his 2004 death sentence to the California Supreme Court maintainingthat he had nothing to do with the murders.   

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2465771/Mother-notorious-death-row-killer-Scott-Petersen-dies-cancer-believing-sons-innocence.html#ixzz2i5qN5iXb
 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/us/scott-peterson-trial-fast-facts/
Scott Peterson Trial Fast Facts
By CNN Library
updated 11:38 AM EDT, Tue October 15, 2013

(CNN) -- Here is some background information about the Scott Peterson trial. He was convicted in November 2004 of murdering his wife, Laci, and their unborn son, Conner, in 2002.Prosecutors alleged that Scott's motive for the two murders was to escape married life and upcoming fatherhood. Scott Peterson is on death row at San Quentin State Prison near San Francisco.

Timeline:

December 24, 2002 - Laci Peterson is initially reported missing from their home in Modesto, California.

January 24, 2003
- Amber Frey, a Fresno massage therapist, comes forward at a police news conference and says she was having an affair with Scott. She says the affair began Nov. 20, after Scott told her he was a single man.

April 18, 2003 - The California Attorney General, Bill Lockyer, confirms bodies found on April 14 on the San Francisco Bay area shore are those of Laci Peterson and her baby.

April 18, 2003
- Scott Peterson is arrested in San Diego, pending capital murder/double homicide charges, and is held without bail.

April 21, 2003
- Arraignment in Stanislaus County Superior Court before Judge Nancy Ashley. Scott Peterson is charged with 2 felony counts of murder with premeditation and special circumstances. Peterson pleads not guilty.
- Under California law, the special circumstance allows the prosecution to seek the death penalty. There are 2 counts because of California's fetal homicide statute, any fetus-meaning eight weeks of development and onward-is considered an equal victim.

May 2, 2003
- Mark Geragos becomes Peterson's attorney.

June 12, 2003
- A gag order is placed on participants, saying the restrictions were necessary to preserve Peterson's right to a fair trial amid "massive" publicity.

August 18, 2003
- Judge Al Girolami rules that news cameras will not be allowed in the courtroom at the preliminary hearing.

September 26, 2003
- Laci Peterson's family files a civil lawsuit against Scott in Stanislaus County Superior Court to prevent him from receiving money for selling his story.

October 29, 2003
- Preliminary hearing - DNA and forensics evidence is presented.

December 3, 2003
- Scott Peterson pleads not guilty at his formal arraignment.

December 19, 2003 - Laci's mother, Sharon Rocha sues Scott Peterson for over $5 million for the deaths of her daughter and unborn grandson. As the executor of Laci's estate, she files two separate lawsuits in the Stanislaus County Superior Court, a wrongful death action and a survival action.

January 20, 2004 - The trial is moved to San Mateo County.

February 2, 2004
- Judge Alfred Delucchi bars cameras from the San Mateo County courtroom for the entire trial.

March 4, 2004 - Jury selection begins.

May 27, 2004 - The six-man, six-woman jury is seated in the case. There are also six alternates.

June 1, 2004
- Trial begins.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »

http://wn.ktvu.com/story/28535527/jurors-talk-about-scott-peterson-trial-a-decade-after-death-sentence
Jurors talk about Scott Peterson trial a decade after death sentence
March 16, 2015

As Monday marked the 10 year anniversary of when Scott Peterson was sentenced to die for killing his 27-year-old pregnant wife Laci, KTVU spoke with two of the jurors on the trial about the decision they made a decade ago.

Laci Peterson was eight months pregnant with their unborn son when she died. Some say Peterson's case is an example of the slow pace of justice in the United States.

Behind the walls of San Quentin Prison's original death row are the state's most notorious inmates. Scott Peterson has lived there now for 10 years.

Prison officials said the 42-year-old's life is pretty monotonous. Every day he walks the yard on the roof. These days he doesn't get much mail.

“I hope he's having a miserable time,” said former juror in the Peterson trial Mike Belmessieri. “I hope he's suffering much as I'm sure his wife did.”

Back in 2004, Belmessieri and John Guinnaso spent nearly six months at the Hall of Justice in Redwood City as jurors for Peterson's trial.

“It was unbelievable as far as looking at him in the courtroom versus the facts in the case,” said Guinnaso. “By physical looks he didn't look like the type of individual that could carry out murder.”

The grim murder case captivated the nation. Captured in photos, a beaming Laci Peterson was pregnant with a baby to be named Conner.

She vanished right before Christmas 2002. Months later, the 27-year-old's body and remains of a fetus were found on the shoreline of the San Francisco Bay.

Her husband Scott Peterson was the main suspect after reports of infidelity surfaced. Jurors ultimately saw him as a young man who wanted to be free of a wife and child.

“I believe that had Laci not been pregnant she'd still be alive today,” said Belmessieri.

After months of emotional testimony and weeks of deliberations, the jury found Scott Peterson guilty. The judge then agreed with the jury's recommendation that Peterson be put to death by lethal injection.

State law does not allow news organizations to request on camera interviews with prisoners. According to Peterson's automatic appeal to the California Supreme Court filed two years ago, he maintains he's innocent as he did when KTVU interviewed him in 2003.

“I had absolutely nothing to do with her disappearance,” said Peterson in 2003.

A decade on death row, the State Attorney General's Office just filed its response to Peterson's appeal in January. It took Peterson eight years to file that appeal.

“I think one of the things it tells us is that these cases are slow to come to justice,” said Santa Clara University Law Professor Ellen Kreitzberg.

Kreitzberg studies death penalty cases. She said these cases normally take years since there are not enough qualified and competent lawyers in California to handle them and the state simply doesn't pay enough.

Last July, a federal judge ruled California's death penalty procedure is systematically flawed and therefore unconstitutional.

Kreitzberg estimates Peterson will likely sit on death row for at least another 15 years as his appeals go through the state and federal levels.

“I'm a little frustrated because we made the decision and it hasn't been followed through yet,” said Guinnaso.

“I think we have to take a look at how our system is built and reconstruct it to where it's a little more efficient than what it is,” said Belmessieri.

As these jurors wait, they live with no regrets on handing down the ultimate penalty.

“No I don't have a second thought at all,” said Belmessieri. “Every juror on that jury to this day will stand up and tell you we did the right thing."

While it will be closure for them when and if Scott Peterson is executed, they realize it will never be for Laci Peterson's family.

“They lost their daughter forever,” said Guinnaso. “I'm sure they will want to be present when it happens but it will not bring their daughter back or their grandson back. They are going to have that heartache for the rest of their lives as long as they are here on this earth.”

Video

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »

Thanks for that update Muffy   

I hope he falls off the roof, but alas, it is fenced in.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »

Thanks for that update Muffy   

I hope he falls off the roof, but alas, it is fenced in.

You're welcome sister. I'm relieved we don't have to see his smarmy mug on the news anymore. 

Toler
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4793986/Audio-call-Scott-Peterson-wife-Laci.html
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/california-supreme-court-orders-reexamination-of-scott-petersons-murder-convictions/ar-BB1a2dNz

California Supreme Court orders reexamination of Scott Peterson's murder convictions
Maura Dolan 18 hrs ago

The California Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered a trial judge to consider whether Scott Peterson's convictions for murdering his wife, Laci, and their unborn son should be overturned.

The state's highest court already overturned Peterson's death sentence on appeal this year. In a separate petition, Peterson's lawyers cited an array of reasons the convictions should be overturned as well.

The court agreed that one matter warranted attention: a juror who failed to disclose that she had once feared for her unborn child when being harassed by the ex-girlfriend of her boyfriend.

In a brief order, ...................................................................

I told my hubby when they announced this that California would turn him loose before this is over.  Peterson wouldn't be the 1st bad guy they have turned out into the streets. jmo

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 09:04:56 PM »

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/crime/watch-scott-peterson-2021-sentence-trial/103-20e7c95a-5ad4-4e7f-bbbc-74f9a3bba11d

Scott Peterson sentenced to life in prison in killing of Laci Peterson and unborn child
Author: Lauren Walike
Published: 9:33 AM PST December 8, 2021
Updated: 7:36 PM PST December 8, 2021

SAN MATEO, Calif. — Scott Peterson was re-sentenced Wednesday in San Mateo County Superior Court nearly 17 years after he was sentenced to death.

Judge Anne-Christine Massullo re-sentenced Peterson to life in prison for the first-degree murder of his wife Laci Peterson. The judge also sentenced Peterson to 15 years to life for the second-degree murder of his unborn son, Connor Peterson — this will be served concurrently with his life sentence.

Judge Massullo said Peterson is not eligible for probation. Peterson will be back in court Feb. 25 - March 4, 2022 for the habeas corpus hearing on the alleged juror misconduct in his trial.

Habeas corpus is a way for a person to report an unlawful imprisonment or detention and return to court to determine whether the detention is unlawful. Judge Masullo will determine if juror misconduct was so significant that it denied him a fair trial.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.