March 29, 2024, 03:35:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruce Mendenhall, 57 - Truck driver suspected of killing 6 in 4 states  (Read 22269 times)
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« on: July 13, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in another thread.  
Klaas, please feel free to put it in the appropriate place if I didn't.  

This one struck a chord with me as I have grown up with a family full of truckdrivers that DON'T LOOK OR ACT LIKE THIS SLIMEBALL Twisted Evil

<snip>A long-distance truck driver gave statements implicating himself in six murders in four states after Detective Sgt. Pat Postiglione discovered apparent blood inside the cab of his rig, police said Thursday.

Bruce Mendenhall, 56, an independent truck driver from Albion, Illinois, is facing homicide charges in the shooting death of Sara Nicole Hulbert, 25. Her body was found June 26 in the parking lot of a Nashville, Tennessee, truck stop, authorities said in a statement.

Heading to the crime scene Thursday, Postiglione saw a tractor-trailer rig on the road that matched the description of a truck sought in the investigation. The rig pulled into the truck stop and stopped.  Watch trucker's first court appearance »

Postiglione knocked on its door.

While talking with Mendenhall, Postiglione noticed what appeared to be blood on the inside of the driver's door. Mendenhall gave the detective permission to look inside the truck.

Postiglione found "some more evidence that I considered incriminating," he said.

Mendenhall was detained, police said, because he gave statements implicating himself in Hulbert's slaying. Knowing that the slaying was similar to other recent homicides in the South, Postiglione questioned Mendenhall about those as well, police said.

Mendenhall implicated himself in the death of Symantha Winters, 48, of Nashville, who was found shot to death June 6 in a trash container at a Lebanon, Tennessee, truck stop, police said.

Detective finds blood in truck that matched description of wanted vehicle

Also found was "more evidence" that detective considered incriminating

Police say driver gave statements implicating himself in 6 murders in 4 states
States are Alabama, Georgia, Indiana and Tennessee
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/12/serialkillings.suspect/index.html

Shocked  Crying or Very sad I wonder how many of the people he killed have been listed as missing?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:26:15 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Maine, born and raised!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »

I think there was more than just the woman Sarah in tn that he killed...there have been two or three women found where she was over the past year or so, I believe.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »

Suspect in 6 Slayings Once Ran for Mayor

http://tinyurl.com/3ywul3

Looks like he didn't like being told to remove junk cars out of his yard, so he ran for Mayor.  And yes, he lost, thank goodness.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:50:54 PM »

msnbc is now saying he targeted prostitutes and there may be 7 victims.

I'm sure they are more....What is sad is that he targeted prostitutes.  I feel sad for them no matter who they were.  at one time they were someone's daughter.   Crying or Very sad

Maine, born and raised!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »

Here is some info regarding this story... I think there may be more than 6 -
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070714/NEWS03/707140349

Be sure and read the comments at the end of the story!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »

Truck Driver Charged in Third Slaying
 Aug 23, 2007
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iSabSI85L6s5BNKujpHHTyWZS6Ng
EBANON, Tenn. (AP) — A truck driver who authorities say confessed to killing six women in several states has been charged with a third count of murder.

Bruce Mendenhall was taken to Wilson County on Tuesday to be arraigned on charges of first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse in the death of Symantha Winters, 48, of Nashville, police said. Her body was found June 6 stuffed in a trash can at a truck stop in Lebanon, 26 miles east of Nashville. She had been shot.

Last month Nashville police arrested Mendenhall, 56, of Albion, Ill., and charged him with criminal homicide in the death of Sara Nicole Hulbert, 25. She had been found dead with gunshot wounds on June 26 at a truck stop along Interstate 24 in Nashville.

Police in Birmingham, Ala., also have filed murder charges against Mendenhall in the death of 44-year-old Lucille "Gretna" Carter.

Investigators said she was shot with a .22-caliber weapon and dumped nude next to a trash bin on a service road. She was found July 1 with plastic bag over her head and duct tape around her neck.
(snipped)
Nashville police also have said Mendenhall implicated himself in a murder in Georgia and two in Indiana. He is being held without bond in Nashville.

Law enforcement agencies across the country have contacted Nashville investigators to learn if Mendenhall could be involved in unsolved murders in their areas. The FBI has been creating a timeline of Mendenhall's travels during his 20 years as a
trucker to determine other cases in which he could be a suspect

-------------------------------------------------------------
Accused killer’s boss says Mendenhall’s arrest has hurt business
September 7, 2007
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2007/Sep07/090307/090707-02.htm

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:43:57 AM »

Truck Driver Charged in Third Slaying
 Aug 23, 2007
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iSabSI85L6s5BNKujpHHTyWZS6Ng
EBANON, Tenn. (AP) — A truck driver who authorities say confessed to killing six women in several states has been charged with a third count of murder.

Bruce Mendenhall was taken to Wilson County on Tuesday to be arraigned on charges of first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse in the death of Symantha Winters, 48, of Nashville, police said. Her body was found June 6 stuffed in a trash can at a truck stop in Lebanon, 26 miles east of Nashville. She had been shot.

Last month Nashville police arrested Mendenhall, 56, of Albion, Ill., and charged him with criminal homicide in the death of Sara Nicole Hulbert, 25. She had been found dead with gunshot wounds on June 26 at a truck stop along Interstate 24 in Nashville.

Police in Birmingham, Ala., also have filed murder charges against Mendenhall in the death of 44-year-old Lucille "Gretna" Carter.

Investigators said she was shot with a .22-caliber weapon and dumped nude next to a trash bin on a service road. She was found July 1 with plastic bag over her head and duct tape around her neck.
(snipped)
Nashville police also have said Mendenhall implicated himself in a murder in Georgia and two in Indiana. He is being held without bond in Nashville.

Law enforcement agencies across the country have contacted Nashville investigators to learn if Mendenhall could be involved in unsolved murders in their areas. The FBI has been creating a timeline of Mendenhall's travels during his 20 years as a
trucker to determine other cases in which he could be a suspect

-------------------------------------------------------------
Accused killer’s boss says Mendenhall’s arrest has hurt business
September 7, 2007
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2007/Sep07/090307/090707-02.htm

Hi Muffy

Thanks for finding this and bringing it here.  I am glad to hear they are still working on connections to other unsolved murders in the area where this sick man travelled.  They've pinned him with 3,  I'd say they have at least 3-4 more to pin him with. 

It is sad that what he did not only affected his family, the victims families, but others as well.  I am sure this trucking business will get through it and move foreward. 

Maine, born and raised!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »

Suspected serial killer could be linked to old Nashville murders
By Jared Allen, jallen@nashvillecitypaper.com
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57115
Metro Police believe “several” of their unsolved murder cases — cases that date back to the 1980s and 1990s — could be linked to Bruce Mendenhall, the suspected serial killer already believed to be responsible for at least a half-dozen truck stop murders of women, including two that occurred in Middle Tennessee this year.

At a press conference Thursday, Metro Police Detective Sgt. Pat Postiglione said the department’s investigation is leading them back some 20 years, to when Mendenhall, 56, of Albion, Ill. first became a truck driver.

Postiglione also said they believe it possible that Mendenhall may have been behind dozens of unsolved murders all across the country, including “several” unsolved murder cases in Nashville.

“[Metro Nashville police] have several. More than two or three,” Postiglione said. “We have unsolved cases that somehow fit the criteria.”
(snipped)
--------------------------------------

DNA test may determine if missing woman is victim of truck stop killer

Date created: 10/10/2007 10:56:55 AM
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=49967&provider=gnews
A DNA test may determine if a missing Indianapolis woman was the victim of a man who has confessed to killing six women in four states, including Tennessee.
Thirty-one-year-old Carma Purpura was last seen July 11th at a southside Indianapolis truck stop.

Authorities say 56-year-old Bruce Mendenhall was arrested the next day at a truck stop in Nashville and confessed to killing six women in Indiana, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.

Indianapolis police found Purpura's identification card in Mendenhall's truck.

Police hope a DNA test on blood on clothing found in his truck will determine if the blood is Purpura's.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 05:44:06 PM »

Accused serial killer charged in plot to kill detectives, witnesses
August 18, 2008
Accused serial killer Bruce Mendenhall was booked this morning on charges he tried to arrange the killing of two homicide detectives and three witnesses in his case.

Mendenhall, 57, a trucker from Illinois, has been in jail since last July.
He's been charged with four murders, including the June 2007 shooting death of Sara Hulbert, who was found at a North First Street truck stop.

Mendenhall also is charged in the deaths of Symantha Winters, 48, of Nashville, whose body was found shot and stuffed in a trash can at a truck stop in Lebanon; Lucille "Gretna" Carter, 44, who was shot with a .22-caliber weapon before her nude body was found July 1 by a trash bin along a road in Birmingham; and Carma Purpora, 31, an Indianapolis woman whose body has never been found.

He was arrested at the North First Street truck stop in July 2007 by Sgt. Pat Postiglione and homicide detective Lee Freeman.

According to the indictment, Mendenhall solicited help in killing Freeman, Postiglione and witnesses in his case while inside the Metro Jail awaiting trial. His first case is set to go to court in January 2009.

Mendenhall is also a suspect in two additional homicides in other states.

“Allegations of retaliation or planned retribution against police officers or witnesses are extremely serious and will be immediately and vigorously investigated,” Chief Ronal Serpas said in a statement. “Such conduct cannot and will not be tolerated by this police department.”
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080818/NEWS03/80818035/-1/RSS05

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50:04 AM »

September 4, 2008

Bruce Mendenhall pleads not guilty to murder conspiracy

Serial killer suspect Bruce Mendenhall, already facing four murder charges, pleaded not guilty Wednesday, Sept. 3, to charges that he plotted to kill detectives and witnesses in his case from behind bars.

Mendenhall, a former truck driver from Illinois, was arrested last year after police found the blood of as many as 10 different people in the cab of his truck.

He has been accused of murdering four women at truck stops in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Indiana. He is currently in jail in Davidson County, TN, awaiting trial on a murder charge in the death of Sara Nicole Hulbert.

Nashville Police claim that, after his arrest, Mendenhall began asking around for help in killing Nashville officers Sgt. Pat Postiglione, homicide detective Lee Freeman and three unnamed witnesses.

Mendenhall’s murder case in Tennessee goes to trial on Jan. 26.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2008/Sep08/090208/090408-09.htm

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »

September 17, 2008

Suspected serial killer Mendenhall linked to another missing woman DNA now links a former trucker charged with killing four women – and trying to have five other people murdered – to a 28-year-old Nashville woman who vanished in June 2007.

The Associated Press quoted police as saying a sample of Latisha Yvonne Milliken’s DNA was found in Bruce Mendenhall’s truck. Mendenhall hasn’t been charged in connection with her disappearance.

Don Aaron, a Nashville police spokesman, told The Tennessean newspaper that Milliken is the seventh dead or missing woman linked to Mendenhall.

Mendenhall is charged in the deaths of four women whose bodies were recovered in three states and with trying to hire a hit man to kill police detectives and witnesses in the case.

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2008/Sep08/091508/091708-08.htm

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
doubledecker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »

this is another case I have researched.  Anyone interested in this one let me know and I will get up some more info.

To find me:
click the globe to the left, under my name
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 08:20:48 PM »

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090623/NEWS03/906230333/1017/NEWS01/Defense+seeks+to+delay+first+of+Mendenhall+s+murder+trials
Defense seeks to delay first of Mendenhall's murder trials
Attorney expecting baby this fall
By Kate Howard • THE TENNESSEAN • June 23, 2009
Defense attorneys representing accused serial killer Bruce Mendenhall have asked for a delay in his Nashville murder trials, a postponement that could have a ripple effect on his other cases and the victims' families who believe Mendenhall killed their loved ones.
Mendenhall faces the death penalty in Nashville in the killing of Sara Hulbert, who was 25 when she was found shot to death at a North First Street truck stop. Investigators believe Mendenhall, a long haul trucker, preyed on prostitutes who frequented truck stops and may be responsible for the deaths of at least six women.

While in jail, Mendenhall was charged with five counts of solicitation of murder on allegations that he tried to have two Metro detectives and three potential witnesses killed.

Mendenhall's attorneys have asked that the two trials scheduled — for the solicitation charges in September and Hulbert's death in January — be postponed because one of his attorneys is expecting a baby the week the first trial is scheduled. A request to hold two separate trials for the solicitation could also slow down progress to the capital case, now scheduled for January 2010.

"Death penalty cases are extremely serious, and we need to spend as much time as we can preparing for the trial," said Dawn Deaner, Metro's public defender. One of the attorneys assisting Deaner with Mendenhall's cases is expecting the baby.

Victims' Loved Ones Wait

Since Mendenhall was arrested in Nashville in July 2007, he will be held here until his local charges are all satisfied. The delays probably will postpone trials in at least three states for families who believe Mendenhall is responsible for their loss. Though he's been charged in three other murders, only the Tennessee warrants have even been served.

Connie Dooley doesn't want to wait any longer for justice for her sister.

Lucille "Gretna'' Carter, 44, was shot in the head with a .22-caliber gun, her nude body left on a Birmingham roadside nearly two years ago. With every year that passes without a conviction for one of the victims, Dooley can't help but fear her sister's case will fall through the cracks.

"She was my baby sister," Dooley said. "It just has to be closed.''

The prosecutor on the Nashville case, Rachel Sobrero, could not be reached for comment.

Mendenhall also is charged in the deaths of Symantha Winters, 48, of Nashville, whose body was found shot and stuffed in a trash can at a truck stop in Lebanon; and Carma Purpora, 31, an Indianapolis woman whose body has never been found.

Charges have been filed against Mendenhall in Marion County, Ind., where police say Purpora went missing. Investigators say blood in his cab matched the woman's DNA. But until Mendenhall's Tennessee cases are resolved, they won't have a preliminary hearing or assign a prosecutor.

Time and distance make it harder to try the case as the years pass, said Mario Massillamany, spokesman for Marion County prosecutor's office.

"Keeping in touch with the witnesses, making sure their recollection of the events are fresh in their minds is difficult after several years," Massillamany said.

But regardless of how long it takes or if a jury gives Mendenhall the death penalty, Massillamany says they will pursue charges against him.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Suspected truck stop serial killer in court today
Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 11:51pm

An Illinois truck driver police suspect is a serial killer will be in Davidson County Criminal Court today facing charges he tried to have five people murdered from jail.

Metro Police arrested Bruce Mendenhall, 58, of Albion, Ill., in June 2007 while they were investigating the death of Sara Nicole Hulbert, 25, of Ashland City. Her lifeless body was found at an East Nashville truck stop.

While incarcerated on criminal homicide charges in that case, police claim Mendenhall hatched a murder-for-hire plot to have five individuals killed, including the Metro investigators responsible for his arrest. He faces five counts of solicitation of first-degree murder.

He has a hearing scheduled in Judge Steve Dozier’s court, but details of the hearing were not clear.

Prosecutors have decided to put Mendenhall on trial for the solicitation charges before he goes on trial in the Hulbert murder case in 2010.

Mendenhall, who is suspected in five additional killings in four states, is often referred to as the “truck stop serial killer” in news reports because many of his alleged victims were highway prostitutes or young women hanging around interstate exits.

In one close-to-home case, he is charged in neighboring Wilson County in the 2007 murder of Samantha Winters, 48, of Nashville. Her body was discovered stuffed in a trashcan at a truck stop off Interstate 40.

Other cases also are pending in Indiana, Georgia and Alabama.

Check back later today for updates from the hearing.
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/suspected-truck-stop-serial-killer-court-today

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 07:40:35 AM »

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091110/NEWS03/911100332/Mendenhall+trial+jurors+will+not+be+sequestered
Mendenhall trial jurors will not be sequestered

By Kate Howard • THE TENNESSEAN • November 10, 2009
The jury hearing the case against accused serial killer Bruce Mendenhall next week will not be sequestered, a judge ruled Monday.

Attorneys for Mendenhall, facing trial next week on five counts of solicitation to commit murder for allegedly trying to have witnesses and detectives from his murder case killed, asked in court filings Monday to keep the jury sequestered for the duration of the trial because of the publicity it will receive.

Davidson County Criminal Court Judge Steve Dozier said the request was too late for him to make arrangements.

"If I grant that motion we couldn't have a trial Monday," Dozier said. "I've got to find a hotel block of 20-plus rooms, make security aware, arrange for meals and call a sufficient jury pool."
Faces other charges

The judge did agree to individual questioning of each potential jury member, to ensure that someone who is familiar with the case doesn't taint the jury pool, and said his direction to jury members to avoid news coverage will suffice.

Mendenhall, a long-haul truck driver from Albion, Ill., faces the death penalty in the June 2007 killing of Sara Hulbert. He also faces charges in three states in the slayings of four women. Investigators believe Mendenhall preyed on prostitutes who frequented truck stops and may be responsible for the deaths of at least six women. He has not been tried in any of the cases.

Prosecutors allege that the plot to have five people killed took place in Nashville's jail after his July 2007 arrest, and have elected to try that case first.

The judge has not yet ruled whether to let the jury hear statements Mendenhall allegedly made on wire taps and in the police interview tapes.

Public Defender Dawn Deaner argued that hearing how many murders Mendenhall is accused of would be extremely prejudicial.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 07:48:19 PM »

Accused Killer Defends Self In Tape
Bruce Mendenhall Describes Plot Against Him
Reported By Deanna Lambert

UPDATED: 6:18 pm CST November 10, 2009
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Bruce Mendenhall's name is known by the families of missing women and to police in at least a half dozen states because a police officer, acting on a hunch, pulled him over in Nashville.

Video: Mendenhall Defends Self In Released Tape 

Now Mendenhall is suspected in the killings of women in at least four states because of what he told the officer who arrested him.

Mendenhall is going to be tried on charges he plotted to kill five detectives and witnesses after his arrest. A 50-minute police interview conducted the day Mendenhall was arrested in 2007 gives a glimpse at what the accused serial killer was saying the day of that arrest.

"(I) went into the TA, got me something to eat, come back out and this lady was sprawled out in the back. I said, 'You guys, what the hell?' They go, 'It's your problem, not ours,'" said Mendenhall, hours after his arrest in one killing.

"She didn't have clothes on," Mendenhall said. "It was just like here and there and on the floor, blood everywhere."

Mendenhall said two men he knows shot Sara Hulbert, found dead at a Nashville truck stop, with his .22-caliber rifle and left her body for him to clean up.

"I dumped her body in behind the trucks, trailers, right out in plain view," he said.

Mendenhall said he did that to help police find the real killers -- those same two men, he said, have followed him around the country leaving a trail of dead bodies.

Mendenhall said the men are David Powell and Richie Kien, acquaintances from southern Illinois.

"His mom rented my rental property until I found out she was a whore, then I spent a year trying to get her out of my house," he said. "Couldn't do it until she beat on my daughter."

That woman is Lori Young, whose son is Kien.

Powell is a convicted sex offender who used to date Mendenhall's daughter.

Mendenhall said he never told police because the men had threatened him and his family.

In July 2007, Birmingham, Ala., police charged Mendenhall with the murder of a woman found naked in a trash bin with a plastic bag taped around her head. She was shot with a .22-caliber rifle.

And then Mendenhall said another woman was killed in Indianapolis. He said he went inside a truck stop and when he came out, those two men were in his truck again.

"OK, so they are in the cab of your truck," Sgt. Pat Postiglione said in the video. "What is going on inside the truck?"

"Dead girl," Mendenhall said.

"Describe that," said Postiglione.

"Naked," said Mendenhall. "Blood all over the place."

Mendenhall told police about other possible victims, such as in Indiana and Atlanta.

The interviewing and the questions continue for 57 minutes until Postiglione gives Mendenhall an opportunity to confess.

"We're not going to treat you any different now than if you tell us that you were the one who actually did it," Postiglione said. "And these guys, even though they were mean and nasty to your family, they really had nothing to do with the homicide. If you're the guy that did these killings …"

"Get me a lawyer," said Mendenhall.

Mendenhall's story also implicated him in the shooting death of Symantha Winters, whose body was found June 6, 2007, in a trash can at a truck stop in Lebanon.

He was indicted on murder charges in connection with Winters' death in August of that year.

Mendenhall is set to stand trial next week for trying to kill the two investigators who interviewed him and the three other people he says are really behind the murders.
http://www.wsmv.com/news/21576411/detail.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:52:15 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 02:19:59 PM »

'America's Most Wanted' will air Mendenhall segment Saturday

ALBION, Ill. — A segment about suspected serial killer Bruce D. Mendenhall of Albion is tentatively scheduled to air Saturday on Fox’s “America’s Most Wanted.”

“America’s Most Wanted” producer Jenna Griffiths says a segment about how over-the-road truckers could be linked to unsolved homicides is in production. Mendenhall was arrested in July 2007 at a truck stop in Nashville, Tenn., in the shooting death of Sarah Nicole Hulbert. He was driving a semitrailer for Quality Oak Products Inc. of Noble, Ill., at the time of his arrest.

in Nashville, Mendenhall has been formally charged in the slayings of three other women; one in Lebanon, Tenn., one in Indianapolis and one in Birmingham, Ala. He remains a suspect in at least two other homicide cases, one in Lake Station, Ind., and one in Sewanee, Ga.

“America’s Most Wanted” producers plan to use excerpts of a videotaped police interview of Mendenhall in the hours after his arrest in Nashville. In the 57-minute interview, Nashville Homicide Detective Pat Postiglione questions Mendenhall about allegations he may have been involved in the killing of as many as seven women.

In the interrogation video, Mendenhall denies he killed anyone, blaming instead two men who he says followed his truck around wherever he went, leaving a trail of dead bodies.

Mendenhall is scheduled to stand trial on Jan. 11, on charges of trying to hire two fellow inmates as hit men to kill two Nashville homicide detectives and three witnesses in his upcoming murder trial.

His trial for the shooting death of Hulbert, whose body was found June 26, 2007, in the parking lot of a Truck Stops of America in Nashville, is scheduled to begin May 10. Mendenhall remains in the Davidson County jail at Nashville without bond pending trial.

Law enforcement agencies across the United States have contacted detectives in Nashville to learn if Mendenhall could be involved in unsolved murders in their areas. The FBI has been creating a timeline of Mendenhall’s travels during his 20-year career as an over-the-road trucker to determine if he could be a suspect in other cases.

“America’s Most Wanted” airs at 8 p.m. CST on Saturday.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/dec/14/americas-most-wanted-will-air-mendenhall-segment-s/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

AMW is on now .....

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 06:22:22 PM »

Nashville jury deliberates murder conspiracy case

Associated Press - January 15, 2010 6:04 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A Nashville jury is deliberating in the murder-for-hire trial of a truck driver who is also charged in four murders in three states.

The Criminal Court jury got the case Friday against Bruce Mendenhall of Albion, Ill.

Mendenhall is accused of trying to solicit the killings of 5 people, including two city police detectives and three witnesses, from his cell.

Earlier Friday during closing arguments, defense attorneys challenged the credibility of some prosecution witnesses who were inmates with Mendenhall.

Mendenhall was arrested in June 2007 in the murder of a woman whose body was found at a Nashville truck stop. He later was charged with killing three other women in Lebanon, Tenn.; Indianapolis; and Birmingham, Ala.

Mendenhall will be tried later on the murder charges.

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=11831449

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »

NEWS UPDATE: Truck driver convicted in murder-for-hire case
January 15, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Nashville jury has convicted an Illinois truck driver of three counts of soliciting murder while jailed on charges of four slayings in three states.

A Criminal Court jury Friday convicted Bruce Mendenhall of Albion, Ill. He was found not guilty of two counts after three hours of deliberation.

He was convicted of trying to arrange the murders of three witnesses in his case. He was found not guilty of trying to hire someone to kill two Nashville police detectives. Sentencing will be later.

Mendenhall was arrested in June 2007 in the murder of a woman whose body was found at a Nashville truck stop. He later was charged with killing three other women in Lebanon, Tenn.; Indianapolis; and Birmingham, Ala.

Mendenhall will be tried later on the murder charges.

http://www.pal-item.com/article/20100115/UPDATES/100115028/NEWS+UPDATE++Truck+driver+convicted+in+murder-for-hire+case

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.