March 29, 2024, 03:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TPP? Massive tax increases for Main Street?  (Read 2313 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 10, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »

Hmmm...everyday people get a massive Obamacare tax increase / penalty.  What of Big Banks?  Corporations? 

"Trans Pacific Partnership: Corporate Escape from Accountability "

Why would the US government ever jump on this band wagon?

Information has been leaked about the Trans Pacific Partnership, which is being negotiated in secret by US Trade Representative Ron Kirk. Six hundred corporate “advisors” are in on the know, but not Congress or the media.  Ron Wyden, chairman of the Senate trade subcommittee that has jurisdiction over the TPP, has not been permitted to see the text or to know the content.

The TPP has been called a “one-percenter” power tool. The agreement essentially abolishes the accountability of foreign corporations to governments of countries with which they trade. Indeed, the agreement makes governments accountable to corporations for costs imposed by regulations, including health, safety and environmental regulations. The agreement gives corporations the right to make governments pay them for the cost of complying with the regulations of government. One wonders how long environmental, labor, and financial regulation can survive when the costs of compliance are imposed on the taxpayers of countries and not on the economic activity that results in spillover effects such as pollution.

Raise taxes on little people to pay for regulation...

The TPP is open to all countries.  Currently, it is being negotiated between the US, Australia, Brunei, New Zealand, Singapore, Vietnam, Chile, and Peru.  Australia, according to reports, has refused to submit to the private tribunal system.

Maybe this is an incentive to have other countries start production here knowing the costs of regulation will just raise taxes for US taxpayers?  Why would anyone want a 'private tribunal system' for corporations?  Global law?

Yet another explanation is that Ron Kirk is caught up in the deregulatory mindset that began with the repeal of Glass-Steagall and financial deregulation. If financial markets know best and are self-regulating, requiring no government interference, then so also are other markets and businesses.

Who got stuck paying for Glass-Steagall's repeal?  Financial collapse?  Big banks?  Big global player?  Current and future generations of Americans?  Who got the shaft?  Who got the gold?

[quote]...the problem with Ron Kirk’s TPP is that the agreement is constructed to serve private, not public interests.  Kirk is a public official charged with serving and protecting the public interest. Yet, he has conspired in secret with private interests to produce a document that exempts private corporations from public accountability.[/quote]

Public Citizen’s analysis of TPP can be found here http://www.citizen.org/documents/Leaked-TPP-Investment-Analysis.pdf and the leaked document here.

This article was originally published at PaulCraigRoberts.org and has been used here with permission.

read more here - http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2012/07/04/trans-pacific-partnership-corporate-escape-from-accountability/

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »

The leaked text provides stark warnings about the dangers of “trade” negotiations occurring without
press, public or policymaker oversight. It reveals that negotiators already have agreed to many radical
terms granting expansive new rights and privileges for foreign investors and their private corporate
enforcement through extra-judicial “investor-state” tribunals.

Who has to sign off on all these treaties and trade agreements?  Vote on them?

Although TPP has been branded as a “trade” agreement, the leaked text shows that TPP would limit
how signatory countries may regulate foreign firms operating within their boundaries, with
requirements to provide them greater rights than domestic firms. The leaked text reveals a two-track
legal system, with foreign firms empowered to skirt domestic courts and laws to directly sue TPP
governments in foreign tribunals. There they can demand compensation for domestic financial, health,
environmental, land use laws and other laws they claim undermine their new TPP privileges.

More rights for foreign firms?  Sounds like illegal aliens...Obama outsourcing jobs to foreign workers inside our borders with work permits, more rights (and jobs, welfare, bigger tax refunds/credits) for those here illegally than for citizens?

The leak also reveals that all countries involved in TPP talks – except Australia – have agreed to
submit to the jurisdiction of such foreign tribunals, which would be empowered to order payment of
unlimited government Treasury funds to foreign investors over TPP claims
. As revealed in Section B
of the leaked text, these tribunals would not meet standards of transparency, consistency or due process
common to TPP countries’ domestic legal systems or provide fair, independent or balanced venues for
resolving disputes between sovereign nations and private investors.
For instance, in a manner that
would be unethical for judges, the tribunals would be staffed by private sector lawyers that rotate
between acting as “judges” and as advocates for the investors suing the governments

The TPP may well be the last trade agreement that the U.S. negotiates. This is because the TPP, if
completed, would have a new feature: it would be open for any other country to later join...

Indeed, the leaked text shows that TPP would expand on the extreme investor privileges found in the
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and subsequent NAFTA-style deals...

What does Main Street get out of all this?  Where are the Obamacare privileges for Main Street?  Obamcare privileges seem to be for freeloaders/freeriders - folks that want to sleep until noon, do art or grow bigger families, and force others to contribute to the lifestyle of the greedy and lazy.

read more here - http://www.citizen.org/documents/Leaked-TPP-Investment-Analysis.pdf

Seems like this 'trade agreement' works against Main Street.  Wouldn't Main street like to have unlimited access to government treasury funds?  More free handouts?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »

leaked document here - http://www.citizenstrade.org/ctc/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tppinvestment.pdf

Watch interview here - Max Keiser: TPP Secret Trade Deal with Dr. Paul C. Roberts  Who benefits and why should we care?

Website here - http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »

If you listen to the interview, they make a comment that this allows corporations to tax citizens directly.  Sounds a lot like Obamacare.

If citizens don't pay the insurance company, Obamacare has the IRS make the collection.  Here illegally?  No Social Security number?  Fraud identity?  No rproblem.  Obamacare will give you FREE healthcare.  Make the tax payment to the insurance company for you!

Why not expand this awesome power of corporations to tax everyone?  Directly?  Pay us or the IRS will seize your money, your assets, and your future!!!

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »

"White House tells Congress that Mexico will join talks"

Foreign workers can come to the US illeally by the MILLIONS and seemingly in unlimited numbers and get preferenctial treatment.  Do they pay into Social Security?  Or are they exempt?  Get really big tax refunds/credits citizen workers do not get?

Now, Mexican companies get access to unlimited funds from the US Treasury?  Maybe a refund of any Socialy Security taxes they pay?

"Mexico’s participation should result in even greater benefits to U.S. employers, workers and farmers," Camp said.

Exactly how are US workers and farmers going to benefit?  Huh?

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/1005-trade/236859-white-house-tells-congress-that-mexico-will-join-talks

Seems like no one does any good for Main Street.  Main Street gets stuck with the debt, the cost of spending, massive inflation...everyone else seems to get the gold.

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »

The inclusion of Canada and Mexico now takes the 11 member TPP group to nearly 30 per cent of global GDP. This is a substantially larger trading power than the 27-nation European Union (EU) bloc.

Whilst trading power is one element, the TPP goes beyond a traditional trade agreement and deals with behind-the-border impediments to trade and investment. The group serves as a pathfinder to broader regional economic integration, similar to the EU. This ultimately gives it potential to form the basis for free trade across the Asia - Pacific region. The main aim of the TPP negotiations is to eventually include all 21-member economies of Asia -Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) forum.

For some reason, I see this as another rape of the US citizen/taxpayer.  Nothing for Main Street.  Everything for foreign workers and big global companies.

Who refunds Main Street business for Obamacare expenses?  Who refunds Main Street for Obamacare?  Where does all this good news end?

New Zealand Pork CEO, Owen Symmans, said "We support safe free trade with appropriate management of biosecurity and food safety risks. However, we are concerned that Canada enters the TPP with federal and provincial government subsidies for the Canadian pig industry in place. The Province of Ontario recently enacted a new countervailable subsidy program called the Risk Management Program that sees Canadian farmers receive a guaranteed return for their pork production. This sort of blatant subsidization places competing pork producers, who do not subsidise their production, at a distinctive disadvantage".

How does the TPP address dumping?  Seems like all domestic business will be at a hugh disadvantage.  Go out of business.  Can't afford to hire big global lawyers that double as judges for the tribunal.  What happened to equal access to the courts?

US subsidy for milk producers?  Ethanol?  Exactly how will that work?

Seems like all these agreements/treaties benefit foreigners at the expense of Main Street domestic business.  How can Main Street business compete when foreign business seems to get direct access to Treausry money?  To address the cost of regulation?

read more here - http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/unrest-over-canadas-inclusion-tpp/5/128629

just my humble opinions

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »

"TPP: A Trade Deal from Hell"

Leaked provisions subvert US laws. Congress is powerless to enforce them. Supranational TPP authority overrides national sovereignty. Investor rights are prioritized over public ones...

...Imagine a president trashing personal freedoms for his own self-interest.

Hmmm...reminds me of how GM and Chrysler unions were put ahead of bondholders and taxpayers.  How much is that costing taxpayers.  Same with the big banks...how much did that cost?  How much will investor rights cost taxpayers?

Outrageous TPP Investment Chapter provisions:

(1) prohibit federal, state, and local governments from regulating foreign companies operating in America. They'll have greater rights than US firms.

(2) incentivize corporate America to invest abroad and offshore more jobs to low wage countries.

(3) establish a two-track legal system. Foreign firms will be exempt from US laws. They'll be able to sue federal, state and local governments in foreign courts. At issue is demanding compensation for financial, health, environmental, land use, and other laws they claim undermine their rights.

(4) let foreign corporations demand and receive compensation for costs incurred in complying with US financial or environmental regulations that apply equally to all companies globally.

"Obama wants negotiations completed by fall."

read more of this opinion piece here - http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2012/07/05/18716924.php

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »

"All we're asking for is a fair deal," internetNZ's Susan Chalmers. said "Because the TPP is negotiated in secret, and because trade agreements are not typically at the forefront of our minds, we have this problem of New Zealanders not seeing what is coming - not knowing what changes the TPP will bring to their everyday lives."

read more here - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/connect/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501833&objectid=10818963

How many Americans see this coming?

Imagine the profit potential for international and foreign business, to the detriment of domestic businesses, citizens, and taxpayers.

Will it matter how much locals charge/fee/regulate/$$$ any business?  The global business just dips into the national treasury.  Likely, they will get a handling fee and make out like bandits.  Lawyers rotate as judges on this international tribunal...hmmm...

In my own state of Wisconsin, the Senate is poised to go into special session next week to take up a new mining bill - lots of big fees and regulation on mining companies.  Would it matter?  The big global companies seem to have an advantage under TPP...just bill and dip into the Treasury.  Why bother to mine at all?  Just pretend to mine, report lots of digging, hire few if any people, pay off the locals (state and county) and recover your 'losses' from the Treasury with helty compensation for your trouble.  I'm thinking this would work like a coupon - $.30 + $.20 handling fee.  Lots of coupon fraud.  Lots of potential for fraud. 

I recall that much fraud and profit in the Euro scheme for carbon trading/cap & tax/carbon trading.  Often, iirc, the companies doing the trading don't make anything.  All they do for profit is trade credits.  Who profits?  Who is the loser?  Every day workers.  Why make anything in Europe? 

Who pays for this direct pipeline to the Treasury?  National taxpayers.  Is there any end in site for this drain?  None that I can see.

Another scam?  What about all those global companies being impacted by Obamacare taxes?  Drugs?  Medical equipment?  How might that work?  Wow...your legislation is taxing my product.  I want the money back, plus the handling fee. 

Domestic company?   Sorry, no refund plus handling fee for you.

Who seems to be getting the shaft?  Taxpayers.  American workers.  Pay up front with massive Obamacare taxes, hidden taxes in medical equipment and drugs (for example) and again as the Treaury is looted by global companies.

Where does it end? 

In what world does an internation tribunal for the benefit of global companies, run by lawyers and judges (comflicing interests?), taking a position superior to any national or local law seem fair?  Good for Main Street?

In New Zealand they worry about copyright laws.  Some in the US worry about gun rights.  (Why does someone a thousand miles away need to know who owns a gun on Main Street?)

If you want to do business on Main Street, respect the laws.  Don't make local politicians rich by transferring the cost of doing business to the Federal taxpayer.  Why stick someone else for potential local corruption?

Likely big global banks will have slice of the action too.  Likely there is some kind of money transfer fee, the global Tobin tax, some new 'exotic' derivative contract (that is so 'complex' it can't possibly be understood by anyone, even those entering the transaction)...

It seems like a new scam to make the little guy, the family on Main Street pay for global corruption in government and business.

I haven't seen anything that is good for everyday people in America.

just my humble opinions.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.