April 16, 2024, 08:38:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slaying of Trayvon Martin in Florida #4 6/14/13  (Read 164542 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #540 on: June 20, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »

Whether or not we hit page 50, on Sunday night I'll move to the new thread so we can start with a fresh thread for the actual begging of the trial.

FWIW - I'm disappointed it is an all female jury.  My personal first hand experience with an all female jury was not good.  Instead of basing their opinion/decision on facts and law, they based it on the appearance of the attorneys.  Hopefully this jury will be different.

alagary
Monkey Junky

« Reply #541 on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #542 on: June 20, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »

June 20, 2013 Tweets cont

https://twitter.com/jeffweineros

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  59s 
Court resumes tomorrow at 9 a.m. for motions that still need to be heard before openings.  #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  1m 
Nelson: No ruling tonight on audio experts. Going home to review notes. Order tomorrow. #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  2m 
Mantei: "The evidence should be heard by the jury, and let them decide." #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #543 on: June 20, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »

Whether or not we hit page 50, on Sunday night I'll move to the new thread so we can start with a fresh thread for the actual begging of the trial.

FWIW - I'm disappointed it is an all female jury.  My personal first hand experience with an all female jury was not good.  Instead of basing their opinion/decision on facts and law, they based it on the appearance of the attorneys.  Hopefully this jury will be different.

Do you have pictures of the attorneys that you could post side by side?

Challapalca him!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »

Monkey Devil!
jamcakes
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2013, 07:51:03 PM »

Monkey Devil!

Challapalca him!
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »

I agree, and also I think they sometimes tend to let emotion rule vs logic/facts themselves......but I am also seeing an immediate issue due to another case when there were no blacks on the jury . I can't recall the case off hand but it's now being appealed on that reason alone

Under a formula set out in a 1985 Supreme Court decision, opposing lawyers who can establish reason to believe race played a role (such as no black jurors in a case, or a history of rejecting black jurors) can raise an inference of discrimination. If, for example, the prosecutor in this case can establish an inference that Zimmerman is explicitly rejecting non-white jurors, the judge will compel Zimmerman to provide a race-neutral reason for the rejection. These reasons, however, pass muster so long as they don’t exhibit intentional racial discrimination. Lawyers often use thinly veiled excuses to reject black jurors, such as “having relatives who attended historically black colleges; for the way they walk; for chewing gum; and, frequently, for living in predominantly black neighborhoods,” according to a 2011 Equal Justice Institute report on jury selection discrimination.

In Florida, state law actually imposes a slightly higher burden than even the federal standard, by requiring the judge to consider whether the race-neutral reason for rejecting a juror was “genuine” via several factors, such as whether other jurors gave similar answers during questioning but were not struck. This has led to some reasonable success, as state appeals courts have overturned 33 criminal cases in which prosecutors struck jurors based on race since the 1985 Supreme Court ruling.

Swain vs Alabama

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06/11/2133171/how-george-zimmermans-lawyers-cant-use-race-in-jury-selection/

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #547 on: June 20, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/blogs/tv-guy/os-george-zimmerman-analysts-see-defense-edge-20130620,0,7572541.post

George Zimmerman: Analysts see defense edge
By Hal BoedekerStaff writer
5:21 p.m. EDT, June 20, 2013

How good a day was Thursday for the defense team in the George Zimmerman trial?

TV's legal analysts were applauding defense attorney Mark O'Mara before and after the jury was selected.

"It was a really good day for Mark O’Mara," WOFL-Channel 35 legal analyst Diana Tennis said. "He got a lot of good information from the jurors today during the conversation. They gave him lot of input rather than him giving them a lot of input, which means he learned a lot more about them." She theorized that he kept some people he liked most.

Randy McClean, another WOFL analyst, said the all-woman jury would be "very favorable" to the defense. Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin.

WESH-Channel 2 legal analyst Richard Hornsby agreed that the jury makeup favored the defense.

"With female jurors, in my experience, is they tend to pick an attorney they like," Hornsby said. "What attorneys are these jurors gravitating toward? Whose personalities are they enjoying? [Prosecutor] Bernie [de la Rionda] is a very bombastic attorney. I think he may grate on them after a while. … O'Mara and [defense attorney Don] West are kind of endearing. That may be a bigger impact overall in the long term.”

But WESH analyst Alisia Adamson said the jury makeup seemed to favor the state. "The thought of a mother losing a child is so detrimental, so horrific," she said. But later, she added, that having no African-Americans on the jury would be a benefit to the defense.

Diversity was another major focus for the analysts.

WESH analyst Jeff Deen theorized that the lack of diversity will be on jurors' minds and predicted they would go out of their way to follow the judge's instructions.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #548 on: June 20, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-female-jury/story?id=19437833#.UcPDJ74o7IU

George Zimmerman Gets All-Female Jury
SANFORD, Fla. June 20, 2013

An all female jury has been selected for the murder trial of George Zimmerman, the Florida man charged with second degree murder in the killing of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

The trial is scheduled to begin Monday with opening statements.

In a case that has had racial overtones since Martin's death in February 2012, the ethnic makeup of the panel comes as a surprise. Five members of the panel are white and one is a minority. It was not immediately known whether the minority juor was black or a black Hispanic.

Martin was black, and Zimmerman is white and Hispanic.

The six jurors were chosen from hundreds of potential jurors over nine days and will be sequestered for the length of the trial.

Four alternate jurors were also selected, including one Hispanic man, one white man and two white women.

Zimmerman's lawyer, Mark O'Mara, said after court that he was "looking forward to Monday" and predicted the trial would last "as much as four weeks."

He said Zimmerman was glad a jury had been seated because "he's been waiting 15 to 16 months to clear his name."

The lawyer said his decision on jurors were "race neutral."

Ben Crump, a lawyer for the Martin family, said, "We believe as long as this jury is fair and impartial, with the evidence that they have, they will return a verdict holding George Zimmerman accountable."

"With the makeup of this jury, the issue of whether every American can get equal justice no matter who serves on this jury panel will be answered. And we expect the jury pool to do its duty and follow the law," he said.

Crump said Trayvon Martin's parents "have so much faith in the justice system, they pray that it doesn't fail them."

Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #549 on: June 21, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »

Something about that bothers me as well.  Can't really put my finger on it because I generally hold our gender in high regard but this jury is just bothering me for some reason.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #550 on: June 21, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »

Good morning everyone!

June 21, 2013 Tweets

https://twitter.com/yamiche

Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  1m 
Lawyers are also expected to discuss a state motion to keep out "self serving hearsay."

Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  1m 
Defense lawyers want to keep out  phrases such as "profiled," "vigilante,"  "wannabe cop" and "self appointed neighborhood watch captain."

Yamiche Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  2m 
Today lawyers will be discussing a motion by Zimmerman's attorney to keep "inflammatory language" out of trial. More in next tweet.

Yamiche Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  4m 
Court is back in session. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #551 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »

June 21, 2013 Tweets cont

Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  3m 
One of the most important things that may happen to today is that Judge Nelson may rule whether state voice experts will testify at trial.

Yamiche Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  7m 
Defense attorneys have also asked Judge Nelson to revisit their motion to sanction state prosecutors
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #552 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »

June 21, 2013 Tweets cont

https://twitter.com/KBelichWFTV

Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  6m 
The hearing has begun. #Zimmermanon9

Deneige Broom Deneige Broom ‏@DBroomWFTV  19m 
#Zimmerman not in court today. O'Mara told him it wasn't necessary. Judge says it's fine #Zimmermanon9 #TrayvonMartin
Retweeted by Kathi Belich, WFTV 

Kathi Belich, WFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  25m 
WATCH LIVE: Judge to rule if state audio experts can tell jurors screams weren't #Zimmerman http://at.wftv.com/15QGYxF  #Zimmermanon9 via @WFTV
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #553 on: June 21, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »

Adding tweets from following person for someone to post if they choose--

June 21, 2013 tweets

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  2m 
Judge to O'Mara on openings: "If they don't prove it, they don't prove it." Point that out in closing. #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  4m 
O'Mara: Profiling term implies racial. "It's like peanut butter and jelly." #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  6m 
State: We want to say #GeorgeZimmerman was told not to follow #TrayvonMartin, also that he confronted TM. That's state's theory of case.

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  7m 
State also won't call #GeorgeZimmerman was "self-appointed" Neighborhood Watch captain. #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  8m 
Guy: State won't say #TrayvonMartin "solely" profiled because of race. #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  8m 
John Guy: Profiled isn't racially charged term. "There are a number of ways" someone could be profiled. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  9m 
Now: Defense motion to keep state from using terms, like "profiled," in opening. State: No caselaw to support that. #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  10m 
Nelson: I'm not going to issue a general ruling on authentication request now. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  11m 
Judge Nelson repeatedly interrupted O'Mara to tell him to get to the point. State: Stick to evidence rules. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  12m 
O'Mara wants authentication rules relaxed re #TrayvonMartin's phone, says state delay kept him from properly prepping. #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  13m 
O'Mara now brings up sanctions. Judge Nelson had said she wanted this delayed until post-trial. #GeorgeZImmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  14m 
.@OrlandoSentinel reporter, and former potential #GeorgeZimmerman juror --> MT @mcomas: I was known as Juror E29...
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-trial-911-screams-20130621,0,2801507.story

Lyle Mazin Lyle Mazin ‏@LyleMazin  15m 
States motion to perpetuate testimony means they wish to depose witness & play his testimony at trial in lieu of live testimony #zimmerman
Retweeted by Jeff Weiner 

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  16m 
Defense says some statements should get in. Judge Nelson says state didn't get proper notice of this issue. #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  17m 
They're now debating state motion to block #GeorgeZimmerman defense statements state calls self-serving hearsay. Nelson says she's ruled.

Rene Stutzman Rene Stutzman ‏@renestutzman  18m 
#TrayvonMartin's parents not in court. Neither are #GeorgeZimmerman's parents
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #554 on: June 21, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »

June 21, 2013 tweets cont

Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  3m 
Judge Nelson said state prosecutors can use the words profiling, vigilante, confronted and "wanna be cop." #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Yamiche Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  5m 
Prosecutors said they don't plan to only talk about race. Profiling can be dress, age, and what time you are somewhere, John Guy said.

Alcindor Yamiche Alcindor ‏@Yamiche  6m 
Judge Nelson just ruled prosecutors can't use term "racial profiling" during the trial Prosecutors say profiling can be racial, age or dress
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #555 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »

Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  2m 
She has no time today and demanded that the defense put it in writing. #Zimmerman

Kathi Belich, WFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  3m 
The defense is pressing the judge to rule on whether self-serving statements #Zimmerman made can come in and she made it clear 1/2 #
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #556 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »

Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  2m 
The hearing is over. Court adjourned until 9 Monday morning. #Zimmermanon9

Judge joked about admitting on national tv she has no fax machine at home to send both sides a ruling over the weekend. #Zimmermanon9

The judge says she will rule today on whether the jury will hear from experts on who was heard screaming for help. #Zimmermanon9

Deneige Broom Deneige Broom ‏@DBroomWFTV  13m 
Typing a lot of notes, slow to tweet right now. But judge is clearly annoyed w/ not having some motions in writing #Zimmermanon9
Retweeted by Kathi Belich, WFTV 

Kathi Belich, WFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  12m 
She has no time today and demanded that the defense put it in writing. #Zimmerman

Kathi Belich, WFTV Kathi Belich, WFTV ‏@KBelichWFTV  13m 
The defense is pressing the judge to rule on whether self-serving statements #Zimmerman made can come in and she made it clear 1/2 #
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #557 on: June 21, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  1m 
Zimmerman trial: State can say #TrayvonMartin was profiled | Updated: http://bit.ly/19YkoIp  #GeorgeZimmerman

Rene Stutzman Rene Stutzman ‏@renestutzman  5m 
#Zimmerman trial over for the day. Lasted 46 minutes. Judge may or may not get out order on whether state "screams" experts testify.
Retweeted by Jeff Weiner 
   from Sanford, FL     

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  5m 
Zimmerman trial: State can say Trayvon Martin was profiled | Updated story: http://bit.ly/19YjH1H  #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  9m 
Court in recess until Monday morning, for opening arguments. #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  10m 
Judge Nelson: "We're running in circles here." Has been stern this morning. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  13m 
It looks like we're not going to find out Nelson's Frye ruling today. May work over weekend. #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Rene Stutzman Rene Stutzman ‏@renestutzman  19m 
Judge Nelson is rattled, emotional as Don West argues with her.
Says she's still writing order re state audio experts. #Trayvon, #Zimmerman
 Retweeted by Jeff Weiner 
   from Sanford, FL     

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  19m 
@DavidOvalle305 I don't have a fax at home. You?
View conversation     

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  21m 
West: You could fax us the Frye order. Nelson: No fax at home. "I'm sorry to disclose that on national TV." #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  22m 
Judge Nelson's Frye order will apparently be in writing. Hopes to finish it today. #GeorgeZimmerman #TrayvonMartin

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  23m 
Zimmerman trial: State can say profiled, "wannabe cop" in opening | Updated story: http://bit.ly/14WdTOW  #TrayvonMartin #GeorgeZimmerman

Valerie Boey Valerie Boey ‏@vboey  26m 
Jurors will sit in 2 rows, 5 and 5. To be closer to witness stand.#fox35
 Retweeted by Jeff Weiner 

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  27m 
Nelson also rules that state can say #GeorgeZimmerman confronted #TrayvonMartin. Says that's the state's theory of case.

Jeff Weiner Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS  28m 
Nelson: Profiling (not racial profiling), vigilante ok if state wants to say that. Wannabe cop too. #GeorgeZimemrman #TrayvonMartin
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #558 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:25 AM »

June 21, 2013 Tweets Cont.

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 18m
@EscoLee She said she expects they'll have her ruling by Monday morning, presumably before openings.
 View conversation   Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 49m
Zimmerman trial: State can say #TrayvonMartin was profiled | Updated: http://bit.ly/19YkoIp  #GeorgeZimmerman

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #559 on: June 21, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »

June 21, 2013 Tweets Cont.

Orlando Sentinel ‏@orlandosentinel 16m
RT @jeffweineros: PDF: Today's @orlandosentinel front page. #GeorgeZimmerman jurors seated yesterday. #TrayvonMartin http://twitdoc.com/24PO
 Retweeted by Jeff Weiner

osbreakingnews ‏@osbreakingnews 35m
George Zimmerman trial: State can say Trayvon Martin was profiled http://bit.ly/12RBlBs
 Retweeted by Jeff Weiner
 View summary

Jeff Weiner ‏@JeffWeinerOS 38m
PDF: Today's @OrlandoSentinel front page. #GeorgeZimmerman jurors seated yesterday. #TrayvonMartin http://twitdoc.com/24PO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.