April 27, 2024, 02:30:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10 missing 7/13/12 Evansdale, IA  (Read 252984 times)
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20121206/NEWS01/121206006/Site-bodies-discovery-confirmed?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Update: Officials confident bodies are missing Iowa girls
3:53 PM, Dec 6, 2012

The bodies that were discovered this week at a remote park in Bremer County were likely that of missing Iowa cousins Lyric Morrissey-Cook and Elizabeth Collins, a law enforcement official said today.

The bodies that were discovered by hunters at Seven Bridges Wildlife Area “were small in stature and we have no one else missing from this area,” said Black Hawk County Sheriff Capt. Rick Abben, during a news conference in an answer to a question about what led authorities to believe the bodies were those of the missing girls.

Abben said investigators were moving toward reclassifying the case as a homicide investigation, but would wait for information from the autopsies before proceeding.

The two cousins had been missing since July 13.

Abben said the bodies were taken to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Ankeny where positive identifications will be made. He said he didn’t know how long it would take before that was done.
 ::snipping2::
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »

Video of news conference at link

http://whotv.com/2012/12/06/missing-cousins-officials-confident-bodies-are-missing-girls/

MISSING GIRLS: Officials Confident About Identities
Posted on: 3:14 pm, December 6, 2012, by Kelly Maricle, updated on: 04:38pm, December 6, 2012

Chief Deputy Rick Abben with the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office said at a Thursday news conference that though a positive forensic identification has not been made by the State Medical Examiner’s Office, evidence found on the scene where the bodies were found makes them confident the bodies belong to the missing girls.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j0f6jzNKAImH5HI97TIk3cyGy1UQ?docId=752217a66fa54f7c85c62d20c5ee0839

Authorities 'confident' bodies are 2 Iowa cousins
By By RYAN J. FOLEY and DAVID PITT, Associated Press – 33 minutes ago

Abben said investigators were leaning toward reclassifying the case as a homicide investigation, but would wait for information from the autopsies before proceeding. He declined to say whether the bodies were concealed, or how long investigators thought they had been there. Relatives have not gone to see the bodies and "there's no reason for them to do so," Abben said.

Officers from several agencies scoured fields, woods and ditches near the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area for any possible evidence in the case. Deer hunters apparently stumbled on the remains Wednesday in the secluded area, which is intersected by the Wapsipinicon River and is a popular spot for hunting and fishing.

Abben said investigators would continue combing the area for clues for several days and the park would remain closed to public access until at least Monday. "We will gather whatever is out there," he said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #263 on: December 06, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

http://siouxcityjournal.com/ap/lee/branstad-policies-on-missing-kids-should-be-reviewed/article_b9a6fb55-393e-5aca-a7f4-10831440e453.html

Branstad: Policies on missing kids should be reviewed
5 hours ago  •  ROD BOSHART Journal Des Moines Bureau writer

DES MOINES | Gov. Terry Branstad on Thursday said state officials will review policies on missing children in light of news that two bodies were found in a wooded area of Evansdale, Iowa, on Wednesday. An autopsy will determine whether the remains are those of two missing cousins.

"It's a tragic situation," said Branstad, whose office held off issuing a public statement pending official identification by the state medical examiner.
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/13387/20121206/hunters-find-2-bodies-iowa-woods-cousins.htm

Hunters found the girls bodies.
Rob
Monkey All Star

« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

Hunters found the girls bodies.

Perhaps, it might be logical that a hunter may be the culprit.

Merry Christmas Kermit and Nut.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

+++

~ livin' the life I was born to live - givin' it all I've got to give ~
yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »

Video at link

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Sheriff-2-Bodies-Found-in-Bremer-Co-Wildlife-Area-182379951.html

Sheriff: 2 Bodies Found in Bremer Co., Mother of Missing Girl Reacts to News on Facebook
Story Created: Dec 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM CST
(Story Updated: Dec 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM CST )

Just when it seems like it can't get any worse, from that middle photo it appears the girls were separated at the end 
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »

From the video at the link:

Investigative report told Jane Velez-Mitchell that according to his source, LE has a lot of information but not releasing--only killer or killers would know.
Bodies were not found together; they were 40-50 feet apart.
The theory is that this location was the dump site; they are looking for the primary murder scene.

I missed her show; the transcript of the show should be posted later tonight.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/12/06/who-killed-lyric-and-elizabeth

Who killed Lyric and Elizabeth?.
updated 7:50 PM EST, Thu December 06, 2012
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »

http://muscatinejournal.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/people-hold-vigil-for-missing-iowa-cousins/article_23f0db1a-4022-11e2-9530-0019bb2963f4.html

People hold vigil for missing Iowa cousins
55 minutes ago

EVANSDALE, Iowa --- The search for Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins may be over but their memory will always remain in the hearts of many Evansdale and Northeast Iowa residents.

Dozens gathered in prayer Thursday night just hours after Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Capt. Rick Abben announced that law enforcement officials were “confident” the bodies found Wednesday in Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County were that of the missing cousins.

“We are kind of turning a page on this,” said Sarah Staebell, a family friend who helped organize the vigil. “While this was happening our town was plastered in pink to keep hope alive for the girls. Now we are doing it to keep their memory alive."
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:16 AM »

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121206/NEWS/312060114

Seven Bridges Wildlife Area closed off, combed for clues
Details about condition of bodies still under wraps; ditch near Bremer County park draws searchers' interest
11:38 PM, Dec 6, 2012

Law enforcement officers spent much of the morning searching ditches along a road about a half-mile west of the wildlife area’s entrance. A cold, steady drizzle began falling around 11 a.m. as authorities searched the roadside. Officers also placed small yellow flags in spots in the ditch, which runs along 270th Street near the park’s entrance.

The wildlife area is popular with hunters in the fall, fishers in the summer and mushroom hunters in the spring, said Frank Frederick, director of the Bremer County Conservation Board.

The park has canoe access to the Wapsipinicon River, which winds through it.

Not as many people fished in the area this summer because of low water levels, Frederick said. His office doesn’t track the number of visitors to the area, which has no electricity or running water, he said.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012121206012

Site of bodies' discovery confirmed
12:00 PM, Dec 6, 2012

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2012, 02:09:47 AM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1212/06/ijvm.01.html

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL
Police Confirm Bodies are Missing Cousins
Aired December 6, 2012 - 19:00   ET
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
Straight out to Jon Lieberman, investigative reporter. You`ve got new information tonight. What have you got?

JON LIEBERMAN, INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER: Yes, Jane. Well, first of all, thoughts and prayers go out to this family for this terrible loss. Police can`t say it, but this is a double murder investigation at this point.

I`ve been talking to police sources for the past 24 hours or so, and they stress to me that they have a lot of information, but the reason why they are not releasing much of it is because much it`s information that only the killer or killers would know, and they do not want to jeopardize the investigation.

That said, my sources tell me the following, which we can report: No. 1, bodies were not found, according to my sources, smack dab next to each other. They were found about 40 to 50 feet next to each other.

The second key point is the theory right now is that this was the dump site. That they are looking for the primary murder scene. In other words, where the bodies were found is not where these two little girls were killed.

In addition, I am told...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. Let`s stop you right there. You`re saying the location where the bodies were found is, according to your police sources, not where the girls were killed, correct?

LIEBERMAN: That is correct. Police are looking for the primary murder scene.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to stop for a second to go to Mike Brooks, HLN law enforcement analyst. How would authorities be able to deduce, looking at -- and you`re seeing some of the wooded areas. The girls were found about 25 miles north from where the lake where they disappeared in this wooded area, which is sort of a county park. And now we`re hearing from our sources that they were not killed there. How would cops be able to deduce that from looking around the crime scene?

MIKE BROOKS, HLN LAW ENFORCEMENT ANALYST: Well, they`re not finding certain evidence that should be there because they know -- they probably have a pretty good idea of how the girls died, or at least they most likely do, Jane. But they`re -- things they`re seeing there that wouldn`t -- that aren`t there, that would be there if they had been killed right there in that specific area.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, see, our sources are telling us more than we`re gaining from authorities.

BROOKS: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Because authorities at the news conference said they`re not releasing the exact location of where the bodies have been found in order to preserve the crime scene. Let`s listen to what they said minutes ago.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We are processing that at this time. I don`t need to tell you I don`t want that area to get compromised. Preservation of that scene is paramount, and so I`m not going to release that at this time.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: All right, so, the bodies were found in the Seven Bridges wildlife area about 25 miles north or about a 30-minute drive from where they went missing.

So, Lyric and Elizabeth were last seen at their grandma`s house. They got on their bikes. There`s actually surveillance footage, if we can pull that up, of them riding their bikes. They were -- they left their grandmother`s house at about 12:15. They were spotted between 12:30 and 1 here. You can see those bikes going by. That`s the last image of these precious children before they died. Look at that.

They go to this lake where their bikes are found. Now maybe they were abducted before they got to the lake, but the bikes were found at the lake.

And now, it turns out that about 25 miles north of that lake, where their bikes were found, you have the bodies turn up.

But, Rita Cosby, investigative journalist, we`re now hearing from Jon Lieberman that authorities, according to his police sources, don`t believe they were killed there. They were killed somewhere else and moved to that location. What do you make of in terms of finding out who was responsible?

RITA COSBY, INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST: Well, I think authorities have a lot of information in this case, and Jane, I keep going back to the fact that, early on, authorities said that the family has not been as cooperative as they`d like.

The other thing -- and I think this is one of the most significant things in this case, Jane -- the father. This is the father of -- this is of Lyric Cook, Daniel Morris. He was working on a plea deal with authorities. They were prosecuting him for domestic assault and also meth and other drug charges. He backed out of that plea deal a day before his daughter goes missing.

I don`t believe in a lot of coincidences in cases. You and I have covered a lot of cases through the years. I think that it`s very significant.

When you make a plea deal, you`re giving up information. You could be giving up information on maybe, what, another drug dealer? Another methamphetamine dealer, somebody in this chain of events? And maybe somebody found out he was about to rat them out and could be tied to this, whether he`s aware of it. Maybe he wasn`t even aware that somebody was playing this role and was getting this information.

I think there`s still a lot of unanswered questions, and I think authorities have a lot more in this case than they`re tipping us off with.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I agree. The idea that he backed out of a plea deal the day before these girls go missing.

And, again, as you said, you give something up. Well, maybe he got cold feet and backed out of giving something up, but somebody else didn`t get the message that he backed out of giving something up. It could have been a communications problem.

COSBY: Exactly.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to go out to Jim Spellman, CNN correspondent, who`s been all over this from the very beginning.

Obviously, police aren`t saying that the father is a suspect. We do not want to, in any way imply that, but we can say that he has been the focus of scrutiny, that he himself said that he felt like he was treated like a suspect because of his criminal history and his arrests for alleged methamphetamine involvement as well as domestic violence. What do you know about that, Jim?

JIM SPELLMAN, CNN CORRESPONDENT: It was really strange, Jane, because Misty Morrissey, the mother of Lyric, came to me in the early days of this investigation and said, "Jim, I want to tell you about the problems we have." And they told me about drug use, methamphetamine, about the plea bargain that was going on. They said, "Please, do whatever you can to report this. Get this out there now. It`s going to come out, so we can focus on the kids."

They -- Misty told me that she was polygraphed two times. They did for a period of time stop talking to police, but it was only for a few days.

I actually think they were fairly receptive to being interviewed by the police, but they felt like they were being harassed and they took a little break from it, and they came back.

Hard to know what any of that means, but I can tell you, Jane, never before in my career has someone came to me and said, "Listen, here`s all of this stuff that we`re mixed up in. Please report on it as soon as you can." But there was no doubt that the family was the focus of the investigation, at least for a while.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And Jim, to add to that, you`re taking a look at this video that we have of Lyric`s mom and dad talking to us when their child went missing along with their child`s cousin. We found out that they had been separated for years. And they sort of presented this united front, but we also had read published reports that, after that years of living separated, they had just decided to file for divorce. Right around the time before these -- their daughter and the cousin disappeared. We`re going to analyze that and take your calls on the other side.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We`re praying for the family, both families. It`s heart-breaking. Just pray for the Morrisseys and the Cooks as a whole and that we get some answers, that the family gets answers about their little girls.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: This is a heart-breaking story and our condolences to the family. We feel like we have grown to know these -- know these two little girls, been talking about them and doing stories on them since July when they vanished. And it`s heart-breaking to have to say that police are confident that their bodies have been found in a wildlife area, about 25 miles north of where their bikes were found.

Let`s go out to the phone lines. Lisa, Wisconsin, your question or thought, Lisa?

CALLER: Hi, Jane.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Hi.

CALLER: I was just wondering if there was any molestation sexually or physically on the girls?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, we don`t have the answer to those questions. And I could certainly tell you that, while the parents of Lyric -- obviously there`s two sets of parents here. And one set of parents seems to be absolutely squeaky clean in terms of their histories. But they don`t have anything to do with molestation or anything of that nature. So we want to clear that up.

And we say this, of course, not to embarrass anybody, because it`s part of the investigation. It`s why we`re mentioning it.

Missing Lyric`s mother and father each have criminal records. Lyric`s mom, Misty Cook, was released from a halfway house just a few months ago. She pleaded guilty to conspiracy to manufacture and distribute meth, as well as illegal drug use.

And her estranged husband, Dan Morrissey, has been convicted of burglary and theft. He was arrested last year on conspiracy to manufacture meth and possession of meth with intent to deliver. He`s also facing a domestic assault charge.

And Lyric`s mom, Misty, says their history with drugs is the reason cops questioned them so thoroughly. Let`s listen to Misty for a second.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MISTY COOK, MOTHER OF LYRIC: In my opinion, they`re probably focused on my family or Dan and I because we do have criminal history. That`s the only thing that I can think of.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So, Mike Brooks, people can have criminal history, and that doesn`t mean anything.

However, the world of methamphetamine manufacturing is a very, very dangerous world, and it can attract extremely dangerous people.

So you have this odd, could be coincidence that this man you`re looking at here, the father of Lyric, reportedly backed out of a plea deal the day before these girls disappeared. What do you make of that?

BROOKS: Well, you know, it`s interesting. When we were playing the interview with Dan Morrissey, and he was saying, "They`re looking at me like a suspect," they think he`s holding back.

Usually, Jane, when you go into an interview with somebody, and you want to go down a certain road, you ask questions that you most likely already know the answers to. And it sounds to me they weren`t getting the answers that they thought they should be getting from this guy, and that`s the reason they wanted to play hardball with him.

Did it have something to do with this plea deal? There`s a good possibility. Did it also have something to do with maybe his friends and associates? That also probably had something to do with it.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And then you add the odd, again, possible coincidence, that after years of living separated, Lyric`s mom and dad also just decided to get divorced right before the girls disappeared, according to published reports.

We`re going to take your calls, and we`ve got new information from our investigator, Jon Lieberman, on the other side.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I`ve taught them, you know, if you`re approached and somebody actually grabs hold of you, drop your body to the ground, scream, kick, fight, gouge eyes, do whatever you have to do. Don`t let them get you to a vehicle. You know, I told the girls, you know, once you`re in a vehicle, the chances decrease of your survival.

And so I have a feeling whoever approached them had some type of weapon, something that scared them very, very badly that made them get into a vehicle.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That poor woman has lost two nieces, according to police, who are confident now that the bodies found yesterday in that secluded wildlife area are those of young Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins, two cousins who disappeared, ages 8 and 10.

Elizabeth`s mother wrote this on her Facebook page after the heart- breaking discovery: "We knew when our girls went missing that would be two outcomes. Unfortunately, this is not the one we wanted. Our girls are dancing up with our savior."

Jon Lieberman, you`ve got new information. Tell us.

LIEBERMAN: Yes. It`s heart-breaking when you read that quote from the family.

A couple of things that we know. I`m told by police sources that they were able to make an eyeball identification, meaning looking at the bodies and knowing in their heads that it was these two girls, very, very quickly. I`m told is that it didn`t appear that the bodies had been out exposed to the elements for the four or five months since they went missing. That`s No. 1.

I`m also told that there was some articles of clothing belonging to these two girls found at that scene, as well. And also we did some researching, and there are 18 registered sex offenders within ten miles of this 125-acre camping area. So that is something that law enforcement is looking at, as well.

But really what they`re focusing on is, and there`s the graphic, is the timeline. They need to figure out what happened when and how long these girls had been out in that park.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Rita Cosby, investigative journalist, I got chills when Jon just said that these bodies had been kept somewhere, and then when they were put there in this wildlife park, they were easily identifiable. I mean, it`s horrifying to think that they were kept in some -- it implies that they were possibly kept in some kind of refrigeration or something that preserved them.

COSBY: Or were they kept alive all this time, held hostage? We`ve covered these stories where young boys or somebody, where they`re taken. The question is were there any ransom calls?

The other thing I`ve always found very significant about this case, Jane. These kids, both the kids, they went missing at Myer`s Lake. It`s a very popular recreation area. They were headed towards that area. That`s where the bikes are found. I -- you know, it`s baffling to me that nobody in that area saw something, which makes me think these people are fairly professional. Somebody with a criminal record like a sex offender or somebody tied to drugs.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And remember, the police were looking for a mystery kayaker or a boater on that lake who they felt may have seen something significant. And last we heard, they never found them.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/elizabeth-collins-lyric-cook-killer-missing-iowa-cousins_n_2257742.html

Elizabeth Collins', Lyric Cook's Killer Still At Large, Police Search For Answers In Missing Cousins Case
12/07/12 11:55 AM ET EST

EVANSDALE, Iowa — A sheriff investigating the apparent kidnapping and slaying of two Iowa cousins said Friday that the discovery of the young girls' bodies is a long-awaited break in the case that could help find their killer.

Black Hawk County Sheriff Tony Thompson said investigators would be deliberate in pursuing the case of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins, who were 10 and 8 when they disappeared in Evansdale in July. Hunters stumbled upon two bodies believed to be Cook and Collins in a wooded wildlife area some 25 miles away on Wednesday.

Thompson said it could take "several weeks" for their autopsies to be complete and the results to be made public.

"We're going to be extremely meticulous and we're not going to apologize for that," he said a phone interview with The Associated Press. "We've got an opportunity to find a killer."

After nearly five months of chasing tips and theories about the girls' whereabouts, Thompson said police "finally have something credible. We finally have something we can sink our teeth into" in the high-profile case.

Thompson's remarks indicate the case is becoming a homicide investigation. At a news conference Thursday, Thompson's chief deputy said the investigation was leaning that way but that police would wait for the autopsy results before making the change.

Teams of local and federal officers have scoured the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County for evidence since the discovery of the bodies, searching in ditches along the road, fields and woods. The Iowa Medical Examiner's Office, which is handling the autopsies, was also at the scene. That office has declined comment on the autopsies.

The sheriff's office had asked neighboring counties, including Bremer County, to search their parks and wildlife areas for the girls after they vanished last summer, Thompson said. He said that as far as he knows, Bremer County officers did search the popular hunting and fishing spot but that the bodies would have been hard for anyone to spot.

"Even the hunters, if they had gone five feet in either direction, would not have found those bodies," he said.

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20292381/2012/12/07/life-and-love-service

Life and Love Service planned at Heather Collins' church
Posted: Dec 07, 2012 6:50 PM CST

CEDAR FALLS (KWWL) -
A date has now been set for a "Life and Love" service at Heartland Vineyard Church in Cedar Falls, where Elizabeth Collins' mother Heather attends.

The service will happen Thursday, December 13 at 5 p.m.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »

From grace-land's link to the cnn transcript... http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1212/06/ijvm.01.html

I`m told is that it didn`t appear that the bodies had been out exposed to the elements for the four or five months since they went missing. That`s No. 1. 

Seeing that pic posted by grace-land that shows two distinct, white 'graves' tells me that the remains weren't scattered by animals.  So, either the girls have been held somewhere all this time or their remains were kept in a way that didn't lead to normal decomp.  I just hope that also means there is plenty of dna evidence that can be used in a court. 

These are my opinions and subject to change.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2012, 12:54:31 AM »

Video at link--includes an aerial view of the Seven Bridges area and the location of the crime scene.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20291353/2012/12/07/cedar-falls-senator-plans-to-submit-cousins-law-in-2013-session

Cedar Falls Sen. Danielson to propose Cousins' Law in 2013
Posted: Dec 07, 2012 4:31 PM CST

CEDAR FALLS (KWWL) -
Shortly after Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins were abducted, many people raised concerns over how long it took to get word out to the public.

Out of that concern came a petition for the Cousins' Law, calling for a statewide alert -- and fast reaction -- whenever a child is missing.

"We believe the lessons learned that we've all experienced painfully in the Cedar Valley can be applied to making it better in the future," said State Sen. Jeff Danielson of Cedar Falls.

Danielson is planning to introduce a bill in the 2013 legislative session addressing the way the public is alerted to missing children -- making things consistent statewide, and utilizing all social media platforms.

"We want it to be partnership-oriented," he said. "We want to work with law enforcement. We want to engage the public who are now using the social media tools on a daily, if not hourly, basis."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

From grace-land's link to the cnn transcript... http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1212/06/ijvm.01.html

I`m told is that it didn`t appear that the bodies had been out exposed to the elements for the four or five months since they went missing. That`s No. 1. 

Seeing that pic posted by grace-land that shows two distinct, white 'graves' tells me that the remains weren't scattered by animals.  So, either the girls have been held somewhere all this time or their remains were kept in a way that didn't lead to normal decomp.  I just hope that also means there is plenty of dna evidence that can be used in a court. 

From the same  cnn transcript:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1212/06/ijvm.01.html
LIEBERMAN: Yes. It`s heart-breaking when you read that quote from the family.

A couple of things that we know. I`m told by police sources that they were able to make an eyeball identification, meaning looking at the bodies and knowing in their heads that it was these two girls, very, very quickly. I`m told is that it didn`t appear that the bodies had been out exposed to the elements for the four or five months since they went missing. That`s No. 1.

I`m also told that there was some articles of clothing belonging to these two girls found at that scene, as well. And also we did some researching, and there are 18 registered sex offenders within ten miles of this 125-acre camping area. So that is something that law enforcement is looking at, as well.

But really what they`re focusing on is, and there`s the graphic, is the timeline. They need to figure out what happened when and how long these girls had been out in that park.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, Rita Cosby, investigative journalist, I got chills when Jon just said that these bodies had been kept somewhere, and then when they were put there in this wildlife park, they were easily identifiable. I mean, it`s horrifying to think that they were kept in some -- it implies that they were possibly kept in some kind of refrigeration or something that preserved them.

COSBY: Or were they kept alive all this time, held hostage? We`ve covered these stories where young boys or somebody, where they`re taken. The question is were there any ransom calls?

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121207/NEWS/121207004/0/ZONE09/?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Autopsies completed on bodies found in N.E. Iowa
9:16 PM, Dec 7, 2012

UPDATE: 5:30 p.m.
Autopsies were completed today of the bodies believed to be two missing girls from Evansdale.

Deputy State Medical Examiner Dr. Dennis Klein said that the autopsies were finished today and that all information about them would be released by the Black Hawk County sheriff’s office.
Attempts to contact Black Hawk County Sheriff Tony Thompson this afternoon have been unsuccessful.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

http://whotv.com/2012/12/07/metro-vigil-memorial-for-lyric-and-elizabeth/

METRO VIGIL: Memorial For Lyric And Elizabeth
Posted on: 3:30 pm, December 7, 2012

On Saturday, people in the metro can attend a memorial for Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins.
There is a candlelight vigil for the cousins at Gray’s Lake Saturday. It runs from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the front parking lot closest to the street.

Everyone is welcome to attend. Organizers are asking you to bring your own candle and wear pink.

Donations are being accepted to go toward the reward fund established to find out who took the girls.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »

Two-page article

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/What-s-next-in-missing-girls-investigation/-/9357080/17698922/-/qehodp/-/index.html

What's next in missing girls investigation?
UPDATED 5:12 PM CST Dec 07, 2012

ANKENY, Iowa —
Forensic expert Steven Martin said medical examiners will study every inch of the bodies found this week near Evansdale.

The team will look for everything from blunt force trauma to how long the bodies were exposed to the elements.

Ever since hunters discovered the bodies that are believed to be Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins Wednesday, Iowans are anxiously waiting to see if the autopsy results reveal any clues to how they died and to a possible killer.

"The medical examiner's office is primarily going to look maybe if there was some kind of sharp force injury, breaking of bones, possibly with a weapon of some type," said Martin.
"They are also going to look at clothing.  They are going to look at jewelry --if there was any jewelry on the body.  They are going to try to determine if the body is intact or if there are parts that are missing," said Martin.

Hunters found the bodies in a wooded area of the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area around 20 miles northeast of Evansdale --  the place where cousins vanished on July 13th.

Thursday investigators spent hours putting down small yellow flags as they searched near the park.  Martin said a flag represents a spot at the crime scene where law enforcement sees something unusual.

"Anything from a cigarette butt to a piece of paper to a package or some type of candy wrapper -- just something that looks out of place," said Martin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.