May 01, 2024, 09:48:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amanda Berry, missing since 4/21/2003 Cleveland, OH(Found Safe!)  (Read 99105 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2013, 07:54:08 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/ariel-castro-arraignment-charges_n_3609793.html
Ariel Castro Pleads Not Guilty To 977 Counts In Ohio Kidnapping Indictment
July 17, 2013

CLEVELAND — A man accused of holding three women captive for a decade was scolded repeatedly by a judge to raise his head and open his eyes in a brief court appearance where he pleaded not guilty Wednesday to nearly 1,000 counts of kidnap, rape and other crimes.

For the most part, Ariel Castro, 53, responded to the judge's questions with one-word answers as he faced charges that included 512 counts of kidnapping and 446 counts of rape.

The charges returned Friday by a grand jury against Castro expanded on a 329-count indictment filed earlier that covered only part of the time frame of the alleged crimes. He previously pleaded not guilty to that indictment.

Castro has been jailed since his arrest on May 6 shortly after the women escaped to freedom.

The judge continued his bond at $8 million.

Besides kidnapping and rape, the new 977-count indictment also charges him with seven counts of gross sexual imposition, six counts of felonious assault, three counts of child endangerment and one count of possessing criminal tools.

He previously was charged with two counts of aggravated murder related to one act, charges alleging that he purposely caused the unlawful termination of the pregnancy of one of the women.

Castro is scheduled for trial on Aug. 5, a date that could be delayed if the defense requests more preparation time. His legal team has hinted Castro would plead guilty if the death penalty was off the table.

Weintraub said after the arraignment that he didn't expect a trial postponement.

"We have a trial date of Aug. 5, so either we're going to have a plea or we're going to trial Aug. 5," he said.

The prosecution has said it would be ready for that date.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/26/plea-deal-talks-underway-in-ohio-kidnapping-case/?test=latestnews

Ariel Castro accepts plea deal in Ohio kidnapping case, avoids death penalty
Published July 26, 2013

The Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

In exchange, prosecutors said 53-year-old Ariel Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage. The former school bus driver also was charged with hundreds of counts of kidnapping and rape, plus assault and other counts.

Castro was in court Friday morning to enter the guilty plea. When asked if he understood he would never be released from prison, Castro said: "I do understand that, your honor."

He added, "I knew I was pretty much going to get the book thrown at me." Castro answered the judge clearly and made eye contact. During an earlier court appearance he had to be repeatedly asked by the judge to keep his head up and eyes open.

The deal comes more than a month after a statement issued on behalf of the women said they were "hopeful for a just and prompt resolution" and had "great faith in the prosecutor's office and the court."

The sticking point on a plea deal had been whether the prosecutor would rule out the death penalty. The Cuyahoga County prosecutor had kept that issue under review.

At one point when asked by the judge if he had any questions, Castro said he wanted to say that he "was a victim as a child and it just kept going."

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »

just read about this grace-land.

I am glad these young women will not have to be subjected to a trial for unfortunately, this POS would have had more rights than the victim.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »

I am glad these young women will not have to be subjected to a trial for unfortunately, this POS would have had more rights than the victim.

i have 2 friends in that hood, that are in the what if,how could i not know mode
1 is seeking counseling, most of the street has that how could we have not known
guilt feeling, i told the 1 friend,you will drive yourself crazy,what ifing
im just happy the women dont have to relive their horror,on command or request
if they would have had to go to trial,im sure it would have bogged down their
healing process

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »

i have 2 friends in that hood, that are in the what if,how could i not know mode
1 is seeking counseling, most of the street has that how could we have not known
guilt feeling, i told the 1 friend,you will drive yourself crazy,what ifing
im just happy the women dont have to relive their horror,on command or request
if they would have had to go to trial,im sure it would have bogged down their
healing process

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »

Ariel Castro pleads guilty in kidnappings, agrees to life sentence without parole

video @  http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/26/19696653-ariel-castro-pleads-guilty-in-kidnappings-agrees-to-life-sentence-without-parole?lite

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/article/Amanda-Berry-surprises-Cleveland-concert-crowd-4691677.php
Amanda Berry surprises Cleveland concert crowd
July 28, 2013

CLEVELAND (AP) — One of three women held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade has appeared at a public event for the first time since her rescue, a day after her abductor pleaded guilty in the case.

Amanda Berry made a surprise appearance at the daylong concert RoverFest in Cleveland on Saturday night.

The 27-year-old Berry walked on stage with her family and waved to the cheering crowd. The rapper Nelly called Berry back to the stage after his music set.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/justice/ohio-castro
Sister: Ariel Castro will present 'other side' at sentencing hearing
July 31, 2013

(CNN) -- The Ohio man who imprisoned three women in his Cleveland home for a decade will speak at length during his sentencing Thursday, delivering a statement that his sister promises will allow people to see "the other side of Ariel Castro."
Castro pleaded guilty last week to 937 counts, including murder and kidnapping, in a deal that dropped a possible death penalty in exchange for life in prison plus 1,000 years.
He'll give a rather lengthy statement, explaining his life and who he really is, his sister, Marisol Alicea, told CNN on Wednesday night.
"(People will) see the other side of Ariel Castro ... not the monster that everyone thinks he is," she said, adding that she was in no way defending her brother.
"He must pay for what he did."
Alicea said she doesn't plan on attending the sentencing with others in her family, fearing the evidence will be too graphic.
The sentencing hearing is expected to last hours and include witness testimony and evidence, a Cuyahoga County court source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told CNN.
Prosecutors want to make sure there's a record going forward in case of a future appeal, should Castro want to try to get out of prison, said the source who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. Prosecutors also want the court and the public to understand the impact Castro's actions had on his victims and the community.
More...

Video at Link

cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »

I am sorry - but who cares about his other side?

His actions spoke loudly.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »

I am sorry - but who cares about his other side?

His actions spoke loudly.

and so do the womens diaries
---------------------
Amanda, Gina, Michelle held like 'prisoners of war'
 7:53 AM, Aug 1, 2013   |  4  comments

CLEVELAND -- Late Wednesday, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty filed what he intends to use regarding Ariel Castro sentencing on Thursday.

The document details how each one of the victims -- Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus -- was lured to Castro's house, either with a promise of a ride, a visit with Castro's daughter or, in Knight's case, a puppy for her son.

Once in the house, McGinty said Castro used both physical and mental restraints on the girls to control them.

He would keep them chained and locked in the upstairs rooms or subject them to "...the cold of the basement and the heat of the attic as punishment techniques."

McGinty said Castro kept a gun "...and threatened to shoot the captives if they ever tried to escape."

Several diary entries document abuse and life as a captive."

Amanda Berry wrote to her mother in her diary, both when her mother was alive and wrote to her "in heaven" when she knew her mother was dead.
MORE
http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/308715/3/Prosecutors-sentencing-memo-for-Ariel-Castro

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
flamom
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »

Michelle Knight is an amazing woman and human being.... tears here

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English thank a soldier..
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »

Michelle Knight is an amazing woman and human being.... tears here

Tears here as well.  What a brave woman.
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »

Classic denial.

His attorney's face says it all.  I am sure this attorney wishes he would stop talking.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2013, 12:46:55 PM »

Classic denial.

His attorney's face says it all.  I am sure this attorney wishes he would stop talking.

I think attorney was side-mouthing...don't forget apology.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »

Classic denial.

I saw that too.  He issued a token apology but then goes on to say these girls are "normal"
flamom
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »

He can never be punished enough

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English thank a soldier..
cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »

He can never be punished enough

Yup.  But he's not a "violent monster."
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »

Classic denial.

I saw that too.  He issued a token apology but then goes on to say these girls are "normal"

Yes...does not and likely never will accept responsibility.  I wish they had an option to give themselves to research immediately.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
flamom
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »

They had a happy household.. he said

cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

They had a happy household.. he said
Ha - his word was "harmony" in the house.

Sure.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.