March 28, 2024, 11:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Shooting Inside Aurora, Colorado Theater -12 dead & 58 wounded  (Read 131743 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57499275/james-holmes-school-records-focus-of-hearing/
James Holmes' school records focus of hearing
August 23, 2012

CBS/AP) DENVER - A judge will hear arguments Thursday about whether the Colorado theater shooting suspect's university records can be turned over to prosecutors.

James Holmes, a former neuroscience doctoral candidate at the University of Colorado, is expected to attend the hearing. Prosecutors are seeking copies of 100 pages of non-medical education records subpoenaed by prosecutors and turned over last week by the school to Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester. Defense attorneys are seeking to suppress the subpoena and have asked that nobody, even Sylvester, examine the documents.

Holmes is accused of killing 12 people and wounding 58 others in a July 20 shooting at an Aurora theater.

Defense attorney Tamara Brady's legal reasoning about why Holmes' educational records should be off limits is unavailable. That portion of the court file remains sealed.

Prosecutors said in court that they need the documents to gain access to a notebook reportedly containing violent descriptions of an attack. The notebook reportedly was in a package sent to CU psychiatrist Lynne Fenton.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57499410/prosecutors-holmes-was-banned-from-university/
Prosecutors: Holmes was banned from university
August 23, 2012

(CBS/AP) DENVER - Prosecutors say the suspect in the Colorado theater shooting made threats and was banned from the University of Colorado after failing a key exam six weeks before the rampage.

They made the accusations about James Holmes in court Thursday as they tried to convince a judge to let them see records from the university, where Holmes had been a neuroscience doctoral candidate.

They also claim professors had urged Holmes to get into another line of work before the shooting. Attorney Karen Pearson didn't disclose where their information came from.

Defense lawyer Daniel King objected to the release of the records, calling the prosecution's request a "fishing expedition."

Defense attorney Tamara Brady's legal reasoning about why Holmes' educational records should be off limits is unavailable. That portion of the court file remains sealed.

Holmes is accused of killing 12 people and wounding 58 others in a July 20 shooting at an Aurora theater.

Prosecutors are seeking copies of 100 pages of non-medical education records subpoenaed by prosecutors and turned over last week by the school to Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester

They say they need the documents to gain access to a notebook reportedly containing violent description of an attack. The notebook reportedly was in a package sent to CU psychiatrist Lynne Fenton.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:21 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/attorneys-argue-release-holmes-records-17063097#.UDbsOqDBnIU
School: Background Check Was Run Before Shootings
August 23, 2012

The former graduate student accused in a deadly mass shooting at a movie theater had failed a key exam six weeks before the rampage, made threats and was banned from his college, prosecutors said Thursday.

University of Colorado Denver spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery later disputed that James Holmes was banned from campus but confirmed that a criminal background check was done on him before the July 20 attack.

She said a court gag order prevented her from discussing who requested the check, who performed it, and who saw the results.

It's the first explicit confirmation from the university that concerns had been raised about Holmes at the school before the shooting. University officials did not elaborate about why they conducted the background check.

Montgomery did say that campus Police Chief Doug Abraham was referring to that background check when he said at a July 23 news conference that Holmes had only a minor infraction on his record.

She said Holmes' access to restricted areas on campus was canceled because he left his program in June, not because of threats.

More... (2 pgs)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Families-of-theater-victims-plan-public-statement-3817934.php
Families of theater victims plan public statement
August 27, 2012

AURORA, Colo. (AP) — Relatives of some of the people killed in the Colorado theater shootings plan to hold a news conference to talk about unspecified events they say need to be addressed.

A news release says the families will speak Tuesday about some behind-the-scenes events that they believe need to be discussed. Group spokeswoman Anita Busch declined to elaborate.
 ::snipping2::

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1208/24/ijvm.01.html
JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

Missing Teen Girl Found Alive; Man Shoots Former Co-Worker in Midtown Manhattan

Aired August 24, 2012 - 19:00   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL starts right now
Plus, were giant red flags, warnings signs ignored in the case of movie theater massacre suspect James Holmes? Prosecutors are now saying that before the shootings, the 24-year-old made threats, threats so serious campus police had to step in. Were warning signs ignored, and if so why?
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There were reportedly warning signs Colorado massacre suspect James Holmes might turn violent. This happened before he allegedly went on a deadly rampage at the movie theater.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. We got rifles, gas masks near the theater. Now we`ve got an open door going into the theater.

Hold that position. Hold your suspect.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We`ve got seven down in theater nine. Seven down.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The psychiatrist treating James Holmes, the accused Colorado gunman, told her colleagues that Holmes could be a danger to others.

Something that he said to his psychiatrist caused her to contact the University of Colorado threat assessment team.

ED LAVANDERA, CNN CORRESPONDENT: There was no reaction at all as the judge announced that he had -- 42 criminal counts had been filed against him.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: A hundred and forty-two counts, including first- degree murder.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: What`s happening?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Somebody is shooting in the auditorium.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It is every child`s worst nightmare.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I need rescue.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Being in the dark and you have the bad guy come out to get you.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight in just-released court documents, prosecutors say the theater shooting defendant, James Holmes, talked to a classmate about wanting to kill people. This is breaking news, just in.

We`ve also learned that Holmes made threats against the University of Colorado, Denver, a month before he allegedly opened fire inside that movie theater, killing 12 people, injuring so many more.

This is old video of James Holmes in court. But we can tell you in court yesterday, he looked quite similar. He still had that shock of red hair.

Prosecutors say Holmes wasn`t crazy, just angry that he was failing out of school when he allegedly committed the mass shooting.

Now defense attorneys and prosecutors are fighting over who should get access to Holmes` school records and documents.

Holmes accused of opening fire July 20 during a midnight premiere of the latest "Batman" movie. Twelve people killed, 58 injured, like this woman and her child.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There was the moment where the shooting stopped, and I saw people running. And at that moment, I grabbed the baby, and I just drug -- I just grabbed my daughter and just got her out as fast as I could and just ran out. I didn`t turn around. I didn`t look behind me. I just got out.

And then there was a moment when my daughter tripped. And I just pulled her up, and I was just dragging her. And I was just thinking we just got to get out. I just got to get out the door, and even if I just full dead just get my kids out of here.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: So many lives devastated, shattered, lost.

"The Denver Post" reporting the very same day James Holmes failed a crucial oral exam, he bought an assault-style rifle. And during the very same month, Holmes was told that he perhaps wasn`t cut out for a career in neuroscience. He was allegedly at the time stockpiling explosives.

Straight out to CNN correspondent Kyung Lah.

Kyung, so many new court documents. Tell us what -- put it in perspective. Because we`re getting a slew of new, what I would call red flags.

KYUNG LAH, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Absolutely. Red flags certainly what we`re starting to see as this information begins to trickle out. Here`s another little trickle of it, Jane.

This is a document that we ourselves just got a hold of a couple hours ago. And what the prosecution is writing in this particular court document is the defendant had conversations with a classmate about wanting to kill people, not just before the shooting but back in March. And the document goes on to say that he would do so when his life was over. And this also says that he was denied access to the school after June 12th, after he made threats to a professor at the school.

So what we`re starting to see through this trickle of information that we`re getting out of the courts now is that there is more of a direct line -- at least that`s what the prosecution is trying to do -- a direct line between what happened at the university, his academic failings and the shooting that happened at that movie theater, Jane.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And so many red flags. I mean June 7th he fails an oral exam and then just over a month later this shooting. But in between that time, my gosh, so much happening that we`re now learning through court documents that should have been a red flag to somebody.

LAH: That`s the point --

(CROSSTALK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, prosecutors say James Holmes was banned, as you just said, from the University of Colorado Denver six weeks before the shooting. Here`s what the school has said about all this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BARRY SHUR, DEAN AT UC-DENVER: My understanding is his prelim examinations were around June 7th or so and he withdrew June 10th. He initiated the paperwork on June 10th. And I may be speaking out of line but it`s my understanding that he has not been back on campus or in the program since that time.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Prosecutors say Holmes was banned after making threats and that his key card granting him access to the medical campus was deactivated. But the school denies that they banned Holmes from the campus entirely. They do admit doing a criminal background check on him before this massacre.

You know, there`s so many things that practically shout from the rooftop. And I`ll put this out to Seth Meyer, Dr. Seth Meyer, clinical psychologist, that there was a problem here. And in fact, the threat assessment team -- he had been seeking professional help from three mental health professionals. And the psychiatrist who was treating him, you know, she contacted members of the threat assessment team and said, "Hey, we got to do something."

But nothing seemed to get off the ground in terms of an actual intervention.

DR. SETH MEYER, CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST: Right. Well, the problem is we really need to know more about what happened. We really need to see the documents around what happened when the threat assessment team evaluated him. Because the truth is, he could have said to his psychiatrist "I`m going to go blow up the university", but then when the threat assessment team shows up, all of a sudden he says, "You know what, actually, I don`t mean that. I don`t want to do that. It`s ok. I`ve calmed down. Now I don`t mean that. I didn`t mean what I said."

And so the threat assessment team would have to say, "Ok, let`s let him go. He`s clear." So you know --

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Seth, Seth, Seth. I got to jump in here because I want to go back to Kyung Lah. My understanding is the threat assessment team never got that far. That the threat assessment team, to my knowledge, wasn`t sitting around doing long interviews with him. They didn`t even -- correct me if I`m wrong here -- but they didn`t actually meet, right?

LAH: The information that we have so far that we`ve been able to learn out of the information, out of court or through press publications in that area is that, yes, they did not. But it could change as more information comes out.

Remember, we`re operating under a cloak of secrecy here because of this very wide gag order. So the information that we have gleaned is, yes, they did not get to that point yet.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. T.J. Ward, private investigator, it`s easy for us to play Monday morning quarterback. But when you are in these kind of situations real-time, there`s also so many push backs in terms of privacy, in terms of thresholds that have to be reached before people can actually, you know, call 911.

Do you think maybe we need to lower those thresholds that if a psychiatrist has a gut feeling and there`s been threats and that it appears he`s been talking about killing people that you can actually call the cops and say get this guy locked up?

T.J. WARD, PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR: Jane, you need -- the companies, corporations, schools, all need to take these threats seriously. I can tell you now with the workplace violence and they just need to take it more seriously. They have teams now when there`s employees that are problems and people at school too. This is not the first incident from a school that there`s been a terrorist that went loose when somebody has psychological issues.

They need to communicate with law enforcement and these teams in order and take this very serious. These people are for real. This is not the first time this has happened at a school from somebody that went to a school. We had this in Virginia where a guy had gone off a deep end and they knew about -- that there was evidence and realistic things there that they really need to take serious and take a good look at these things.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Yes. You know, somebody might say, yes, "I could kill him" as a figure of speech. Clearly that`s not what was happening in this case. So it`s a cautionary tale. It really is.

Thank you, panel.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/30/justice/colorado-shooting/index.html
James Holmes called university 9 minutes before shooting, attorney says
August 31, 2012

(CNN) -- James Holmes called a University of Colorado switchboard nine minutes before he allegedly opened fire at movieplex in a Denver suburb on July 20, public defender Tamara Brady said in court Thursday.

The number can be used to get in contact with faculty members during off hours, she said.
Dr. Lynne Fenton, his psychiatrist, testified that her contact with Holmes ended on June 11, and that she later contacted campus police because she was "so concerned" about what happened during that last meeting, though she declined to elaborate

Officials said Holmes mailed a notebook to her before the shooting, though it's not clear whether its contents will be considered admissible in court.

Fenton testified that Holmes' defense team contacted her after the shooting and asked that she send the notebook back to Holmes via them.

In 2011, the University of Iowa rejected Holmes' graduate application, with one official saying "Do NOT offer admissions under any circumstances," according to documents obtained by CNN.

A second university official agreed not to make the recommendation for Holmes' admittance.

The suspected gunman was a doctoral candidate studying neuroscience at the University of Colorado's Anschutz campus in Aurora. But he was "denied access to the school after June 12, 2012, after he made threats to a professor," according to court documents.

Subsequently, Holmes "started the process to voluntarily withdraw from his graduate studies program."

The University of Colorado said this month that it hired a former U.S. attorney to conduct an independent review into how the school handled Holmes.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:39 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/defense-aurora-shooting-suspect-call-psychiatrist-minutes-rampage-article-1.1148426
Defense says Aurora shooting suspect tried to call psychiatrist minutes before rampage
The detail about James Holmes’ call came out during a hearing about his relationship with a university therapist, to whom he mailed a package containing a notebook that reportedly contained violent descriptions of the Colorado attack.

August 30, 2012

DENVER — The suspect in the Colorado shooting tried unsuccessfully to call his university psychiatrist nine minutes before he opened fire during a Batman movie premiere, defense attorneys revealed in court Thursday.

James Holmes placed the call to an after-hours number at a hospital at the University of Colorado, Anschutz campus, where he could reach psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, defense attorney Tamara Brady said.

It wasn't clear why he called Fenton, and she wasn't immediately available to talk to him. Holmes is accused in the July 20 shooting that left 12 people dead and 58 wounded.

The detail about the call came out during a hearing about Holmes' relationship with Fenton, to whom he mailed a package containing a notebook that reportedly contained violent descriptions of an attack.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120830/NEWS01/308300040/Psychiatrist-says-she-met-movie-theater-shooting-suspect-once?odyssey=nav|head
Psychiatrist says she met with movie theater shooting suspect once
August 30, 2012

CENTENNIAL — The University of Colorado psychiatrist who treated James Holmes testified Thursday that she met with the mass murder suspect only once and that her doctor-patient relationship is limited to that meeting.

Lynne Fenton’s testimony came at a hearing to determine whether Arapahoe County prosecutors and Holmes’ legal defense team can examine a notebook Holmes sent to Fenton. Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester is considering whether prosecutors can use the notebook in the trial.

Holmes is accused of multiple counts of murder in the shootings July 20 that left 12 people dead and 57 wounded at an Aurora movie theater.

It’s unclear how the ruling will affect the case against Holmes, 24, a doctoral program dropout. The notebook was sent July 19 and recovered by police July 23. Prosecutors had argued they should be allowed to review it as part of their investigation, while Holmes’ defense team said it was inadmissible and protected by doctor-patient privacy laws.

Fenton testified that she felt her professional relationship with Holmes ended June 11. She said she reported concerns to campus police. She said she did not see or talk to Holmes from June 11 to July 19.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/31/prosecution-suffers-setback-in-obtaining-notebook/
Prosecution suffers setback in obtaining notebook
August 31, 2012

CENTENNIAL, Colo. –  Prosecutors in the Colorado shooting rampage case suffered a setback in obtaining a notebook belonging to the suspect that reportedly contains a violent description of the attack.

The setback came when a judge ruled Thursday that prosecutors couldn't disprove a doctor-patient relationship between theater shooting suspect James Holmes and a University of Colorado psychiatrist.

Now the question is whether James Holmes, 24, sent the notebook to Dr. Lynne Fenton for use in therapy or treatment. Prosecutors at a hearing Thursday argued that the notebook wasn't meant to be used for those purposes because Holmes wasn't going to be around.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Last-theater-shooting-victim-leaves-Colo-hospital-3860752.php
Last theater shooting victim leaves Colo. hospital
September 12, 2012

AURORA, Colo. (AP) — The final patient remaining in the hospital after being wounded during the mass shooting at a suburban Denver movie theater has left the hospital.

The University of Colorado Hospital released a statement saying Caleb Medley was discharged Wednesday and will be going to a long-term care facility. The hospital did not disclose any further information on his condition, citing privacy laws.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2012, 04:58:55 AM »

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Man-charged-in-Colorado-theater-massacre-applied-3867080.php
Man charged in Colorado theater massacre applied at Texas A&M
September 14, 2012

he suspect in the deadly Colorado theater shootings could have become an Aggie.

James Holmes, 24, who is accused of turning a midnight premiere of the "Dark Knight Rises" movie into a massacre, killing a dozen people and wounding 58 in July, withdrew his application to the Texas A&M University neuroscience graduate program last year.

He was among a short list of candidates who had been contacted for in-person interviews, but didn't travel to College Station, according to documents about his application released Friday by the university.

Holmes remains in a Colorado jail.
More...

Comments

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-usa-shootingdenverl1e8kjjnv-20120919,0,7388401.story
Ten new charges sought against accused Colorado gunman -report
September 19, 2012

DENVER, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Prosecutors have filed a motion
to add 10 new charges against accused Colorado gunman James
Holmes, arrested following the July movie theater shootings that
killed 12 people, and have asked to amend 17 others, the Denver
Post reported on Wednesday.

The judge in the case has ordered nearly all court filings
be sealed, and it was not clear what the additional charges were
from a register of court actions, the Denver Post reported.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/20/prosecutors-to-argue-for-access-to-holmes-notebook-in-colorado-shooting-case/
Prosecutors to argue for access to Holmes' notebook in Colorado shooting case
September 20, 2012

DENVER –  The lead police investigator is expected to take the stand Thursday as prosecutors make their case for why they should have access to a notebook sent by the Colorado shooting suspect to a university psychiatrist that purportedly contains descriptions of a violent attack.

Prosecutors on Aug. 30 suffered a setback in obtaining the notebook when Arapahoe County District Judge William B. Sylvester ruled that they could not disprove a doctor-patient relationship between suspect James Holmes and University of Colorado psychiatrist Lynne Fenton.

Defense attorneys say Holmes is mentally ill and sought Fenton's help. Sylvester rejected prosecutor arguments that a doctor-patient relationship ended June 11, the last time Fenton saw Holmes. Holmes has been charged with 142 counts including murder and attempted murder stemming from the July 20 attack at an Aurora theater that killed 12 and wounded 58 others.

A court register of case actions indicated Wednesday that prosecutors are seeking now to add 10 more counts against Holmes and amend 17 others, but it didn't disclose details and a judge has issued a gag order limiting what information lawyers can publicly disclose in the case.

In their quest to obtain Holmes' notebook, prosecutors are arguing that it and its contents are fair game because Holmes wasn't to undergo therapy because he planned to be dead or in prison after the shootings rampage at an opening night showing of "The Dark Night Rises."

Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Pearson didn't explain in court Aug. 30 why she believed Holmes could have planned to be dead, but she pointed to a dating site where Holmes asked if he would be visited in prison.

"He intended to be dead or in prison after this shooting," Pearson said last month.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57516933/colo-prosecutors-give-up-on-holmes-notebook/
Colo. prosecutors give up on Holmes notebook
September 20, 2012

CBS/AP) DENVER - Prosecutors are giving up their fight to see a notebook sent by the Colorado theater shooting suspect to a university psychiatrist.

Deputy District Attorney Rich Orman told a judge Thursday that even if prosecutors convince him the notebook isn't protected by doctor-patient privilege, that would likely be appealed.

Orman said prosecutors don't want to delay proceedings for James Holmes, who's charged with killing 12 people and wounding 58 at an Aurora movie theater July 20.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-usa-shootingdenver-update-2l1e8klkks-20120921,0,5417702.story
UPDATE 2-First lawsuits filed against theater in Colorado shooting
September 21, 2012

(3 pgs)

DENVER, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Three Colorado moviegoers who
were wounded when a gunman opened fire at a July screening of
"The Dark Knight Rises" on Friday sued the owner of the theater,
Cinemark USA, accusing it of failing to provide adequate
security, their lawyers said.

The action marks the first known civil lawsuits filed over
the July 20 shootings at a suburban Denver screening of the
Batman movie that killed 12 people and wounded 58 others.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/09/21/colorado-theater-mass-shooting-reopen/70000887/1
Colo. mass-shooting theater to reopen around new year
September 21, 2012

The corporate owner of the Aurora, Colo., movie theater where 12 people were slain and 58 wounded in July said today it would refurbish and reopen the Century 16 around the new year. Hours later, three survivors of the attack sued the theater's owner, Cinemark.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/28/14138833-prosecutors-james-holmes-threatened-professor-before-theater-shooting?lite
Prosecutors: James Holmes threatened professor before theater shooting
September 28, 2012

The suspect in a deadly movie theater attack in Colorado threatened a professor before the shooting, leading the university to ban him from campus, prosecutors said in court documents released Friday.

The name of the person James Eagan Holmes threatened has been blacked out. Prosecutors say the person reported the threats, and Holmes was denied access to campus "as a result of these actions."

In other documents, defense attorneys say the prosecutor's allegations are false, based on university statements.

The University of Colorado has said Holmes was denied access to non-public parts of the campus because he had withdrawn from school.

Holmes, 24, faces 152 charges in the July 20 shooting at an Aurora movie theater during a midnight showing of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises." The attack killed 12 people and injured 58 others. After the shootings, police went to Holmes' apartment which was wired with a complex system of tripwires and explosive devices.

Defense attorneys claim Holmes is mentally ill, raising the possibility that Holmes will plead not guilty by reason of insanity.

In court, prosecutors have raised the prospect that Holmes was angry at the failure of a once promising academic career and stockpiled weapons, ammunition, tear gas grenades, and body armor as his research deteriorated and professors urged him to get into another profession.

After weeks of secrecy surrounding the case, most of the documents filed in court were released to the public on Friday.

In his order, Judge William Sylvester said that the release, with some restrictions, and considerable redaction, balances the public's First Amendment rights to see the court file, and attorneys' concerns. Prosecutors and defense attorneys had asked that court documents be sealed to preserve an ongoing investigation and protect Holmes' right to a fair trial.

Sylvester ordered that some information in the documents released Friday have information blacked out to protect the identities of witnesses. Documents that won't be released include an arrest affidavit, which contains information about the investigation, as well as requests for search warrants and subpoenas.

See all available documents on the case
http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/District/Case_Details.cfm?Case_ID=152
12CR1522 The People of the State of Colorado v. James Holmes - documents from 07/20/2012 to 09/27/2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/10/james-holmes-attorneys-claim-feds-violated-gag-order/
James Holmes’ Attorneys Claim Gag Order Violated
October 3, 2012

The judge overseeing the Aurora, Colo., theater shooting case has agreed to hold a hearing over defense claims that the government has twice violated a gag order.

In the first motion filed Tuesday, public defenders for James Holmes argue that an updated mugshot  of Holmes-without the disheveled orange hair he appeared with the day he was arrested-was improperly leaked to the media by the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Department. It was released on September 20, the same day Holmes had gotten the new haircut.

During a midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises,” prosecutors say a heavily-armed Holmes entered the Century 16 movie theater and opened fire, killing 12 people and wounding 58. The motion, filed by public defenders Daniel King, Tamara Brady and Kristen Nelson- claims that the release of the photograph has “implicated Mr. Holmes’ constitutional rights to a fair trial, to a fair and impartial jury and due process.”

In another motion, the defense team requested a hearing regarding media leaks about a package containing a notebook Holmes mailed to Dr. Lynne Fenton, a University of Colorado psychiatrist. The notebook was seized by police from a University of Colorado mailroom on July 23. News reports citing unnamed law enforcement sources said the notebook contains writings and drawings about the movie theater attack.
The judge will take up both matters at a hearing set for October 11 at 9 a.m.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/grandfather_stolen_year_girl_aurora_dBfQhvtkWbXHE8Ys3ZpOsJ
Grandfather of 6-year-old Aurora victim wants thief to return stolen photos of girl
October 3, 2012

DENVER — The grandfather of a 6-year-old girl killed during the Aurora theater shootings wants a thief to return pictures of the child that were stolen from his home in a burglary this week.

"They're the last photos I have of her," said Robert Sullivan, grandfather of Veronica Moser-Sullivan, the youngest person slain in the July 20 attack that left 12 dead and dozens wounded.

Sullivan said Wednesday that four cameras were stolen, including one that had a memory card with more than 40 photos of Veronica at a school celebration. Other images show her at a playground.

Sullivan said he still has a well-known photo of the girl licking an ice cream cone, but the rest of the shots are gone. Sullivan said he hopes whoever has the pictures will recognize the girl and return the memory cards to him or police, even if they keep the cameras.

Denver police said Wednesday they are investigating the reported thefts, which also included a coin collection and cash.

Sullivan said the cameras were stolen early Tuesday when he and his wife were out of the house. He was on his way home from work, and his wife was out walking the dog. Sullivan said someone jimmied a window and broke in.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2012, 03:52:46 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-james-holmes-colorado-shooting-20121017,0,7887085.story
Colorado shooting: D.A. to see alleged gunman's school records
October 17, 2012

CENTENNIAL, Colo. — A judge in the case against James E. Holmes ruled Wednesday that most of the mass murder suspect’s academic records, his campus police file and some communication with University of Colorado Denver professors can be given to the prosecution to show state of mind and possible motive.

Holmes, 24, was considered a promising doctoral student in the university’s elite neuroscience graduate program before he withdrew about six weeks before the July 20 Aurora theater massacre. Twelve people died and at least 58 were wounded when Holmes allegedly opened fire in a packed movie theater during a post-midnight premiere of “The Dark Knight Rises.” He faces 166 charges, including two first-degree murder charges for each person killed.

Holmes’ waning days at the university have been a key legal issue from the beginning of the case. Prosecutors subpoenaed Holmes’ school records, including his admission application, as well as email communication with professors concerning his academic performance.
More...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.