March 19, 2024, 05:33:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Donna Jou, 19 , San Diego State U Student 6/23/07  (Read 350260 times)
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 14, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »

Anonymous Donor Offers Reward For Missing SoCal Student
Woman Last Seen Leaving For Party In June
POSTED: 12:24 pm PDT July 14, 2007

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif. -- An anonymous donor has offered a $15,000 reward for the safe return of a university student who disappeared when she went out with a man she met on the Internet site Craigslist.org, the Orange County Sheriff's Department said Friday.

Jou, a student at San Diego State University, lives with her mother in Rancho Santa Margarita.

She has not been seen since June 23, when she went out with John Steven Burgess, now identified as a convicted sex offender who is being sought for questioning.

Her family said they last saw her leaving with Burgess to go to a party. Her mother received a text message the day after that said her cell phone battery was dying, but that she would be home soon. Because Jou addressed her mother as "Mommy" -- a term she did not use -- detectives said they suspect she may not have sent the message.

Last Sunday, the license plate of a pickup truck belonging to Burgess and his motorcycle helmet were found at a Los Angeles intersection about 1.5 miles from his house.

Burgess sent an e-mail to the Orange County Sheriff's Department, sheriff's Investigator Dan Salcedo told reporters.

"I can't elaborate on what was the content of the e-mail itself," Salcedo said, calling it the man's "attempt to communicate his thoughts and his feelings of essentially what may have occurred."

"However it remains confidential and ... we're working into looking further into the information he provided," Salcedo said.

Investigators initially sought two men as persons of interest.

They now believe Burgess used the photo of another man while contacting Jou online.

Burgess was convicted of three counts of battery in 2002 and of performing a lewd act against a child the following year.

http://www.knbc.com/news/13682894/detail.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:29:55 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:53:44 PM »

Sheriff gets e-mail from man claiming to be Sinjin Stevens
Message expresses thoughts and feelings about what happened to missing student; detectives try to verify author

Saturday, July 14, 2007

RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA An e-mail sent last week to the Orange County Sheriff's Department by a man claiming to be John Steven Burgess, the convicted sex offender wanted for questioning in the disappearance of a 19-year-old honors college student he met on the Internet, has investigators scrambling to verify the author's identity – and the computer that sent the message.

Investigators would not disclose the exact contents of the email, but lead detective Dan Salcedo characterized the message as "an attempt to express his thoughts and feelings about what may have happened to Donna Jou." The San Diego State student disappeared June 23 after Burgess – who goes by the name Sinjin Stevens - picked her up on his motorcycle at her mother's Rancho Santa Margarita apartment and took Jou to his Los Angeles house for a party. She has not spoken to her family and friends and there has been no activity on her credit cards.

The e-mail may have been a hoax – or a way for Burgess to try to explain to detectives what happened, Salcedo said. Finding where it was sent from could be nearly impossible, he said, but detectives are doing everything they can to find the missing girl.

The suspicious circumstances that led to Jou's disappearance more than three weeks ago, Burgess' status as a sex offender and his hasty departure from his rented Los Angeles home July 5, the same day he was named as a person of interest, have Sheriff officials concerned.

"None of these things make us very happy," Sheriff Mike Carona said. "But there is nothing at this time to indicate that we can not bring Donna Jou back safely to her family."

Leads that were pouring in by the dozens in the days after the investigation began have dwindled to one or two a day. Sheriff's officials are pleading with the public to report any sightings of Burgess or his 1998 blue Ford pickup.

Burgess never told Los Angeles police he had moved into a rented house near the I-10 and 405 freeways, and again failed to update his registration within five days of his June 28 birthday as required by law. A warrant has been issued for his arrest for failing to register.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/rsm/article_1767530.php

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 01:56:57 PM »

I wonder why this is just making the news now?  This is the first I've heard of this case.  Sure doesn't look good  Crying or Very sad
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »

It is looking very grim for this young woman.
Internet dating is a risky proposition IMHO..... Shocked I'm not blaming the victim at all, but we all know that people lie online all the time. This guy really misrepresented himself, and now she's probably lost her life.
Very sad. She must have thought he was a nice guy.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
Internet dating is a risky proposition IMHO..... Shocked I'm not blaming the victim at all, but we all know that people lie online all the time. This guy really misrepresented himself, and now she's probably lost her life.

Yes, and she may have thought that a party was safer than a one on one date . . .
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:16 AM »

She may have, and it does seem to be a sensible place to go....lots of other people. But did she let him drive her?
I feel so bad for her family.

I hope they fry the man who killed her.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:32:20 AM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
Quote from: "pdh3"

Yes, and she may have thought that a party was safer than a one on one date . . .

I agree with you A's.  My friend and I were talking earlier and it seems like kids don't do the buddy system when they go out anymore.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:34:34 AM »

I guess I need to read a little more carefully....I see that she rode off on his motorcycle. I wish she'd had the foresight to drive herself, instead of being alone with him on a bike. Maybe she could have gotten away from him and survived.

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »

Did I miss something?  They haven't found her body yet right?  We are still under the assumption she is missing but most likely has been killed?

Maine, born and raised!
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »

Yes, Ms. DV, you are right, no body has been found.  I guess we've gotten a little ahead of ourselves here.  Certainly the outlook looks grim for this young lady, but we should stay positive and keep her in our prayers.

Mrs. Red, I've also noticed that the buddy system is not widely used anymore.  I think it might have something to do with the way we raise our daughters these days.  We raise them to be independent, confident, competent women who can succeed in the world just as men can. All of which is great academically and in the workplace, but perhaps devastating in the dating world.  They don't realize how very vulnerable they are!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
Yes, Ms. DV, you are right, no body has been found.  I guess we've gotten a little ahead of ourselves here.  Certainly the outlook looks grim for this young lady, but we should stay positive and keep her in our prayers.

Mrs. Red, I've also noticed that the buddy system is not widely used anymore.  I think it might have something to do with the way we raise our daughters these days.  We raise them to be independent, confident, competent women who can succeed in the world just as men can. All of which is great academically and in the workplace, but perhaps devastating in the dating world.  They don't realize how very vulnerable they are!

Thanks A's fever.  I too will keep her in my prayers to be found alive.

I also agree with you about the buddy system for our kids.  I think it should be for our boys as well as girls.  No matter what,  there's safety in numbers.....

Maine, born and raised!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:48:37 PM »

Quote from: "Ms.DarthVada"
Did I miss something?  They haven't found her body yet right?  We are still under the assumption she is missing but most likely has been killed?

I guess we have made an assumption that she's been killed, and maybe we shouldn't. But I don't think she is alive. We keep seeing this same scenario over and over, and it's a rare exception that the victim survives. My gut tells me this young woman is gone forever. The circumstances surrounding her disappearance are not in her favor.
But gosh, I do hope I'm wrong!

Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »

I just want to say craigslist - YIKES!!!  That IMO is worse than Myspace.   I am pretty sure you all know how I feel about myspace when it comes to these sick twisted perverts.  Evil or Very Mad

So many reputable online dating sites.  Sad to say but Craigslist has the lowest form of life EVER!!!  People who are just looking for 'flings' or worse (if you can believe that).

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »

Quote from: "Sleeks"
I just want to say craigslist - YIKES!!!  That IMO is worse than Myspace.   I am pretty sure you all know how I feel about myspace when it comes to these sick twisted perverts.  Evil or Very Mad

So many reputable online dating sites.  Sad to say but Craigslist has the lowest form of life EVER!!!  People who are just looking for 'flings' or worse (if you can believe that).

Not only that but I have seen so many younger women go to Craigslist to find dates, jobs, etc. and it is 9 times out of 10 a scam! How did we get to a point where people feel like they need to "meet" online?  I realize that we have all "met" here at SM, but not for dates or such...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

Search for Orange County's Donna Jou Intensifies

LOS ANGELES, CA (AP)  --   Authorities searching for a convicted sex offender in the case of a missing female college student found the license plate of a truck belonging to the man, as well as his motorcycle helmet, at a Los Angeles intersection, marking the latest break in the investigation.

San Diego State University student Donna Jou, 19, was last seen June 23 at the Los Angeles home of John Steven Burgess, whom she met on the Internet.

Jou's family says the last time they saw Jou was when they watched her leave her Rancho Santa Margarita apartment with Burgess for the party. Her mother received a text-message the day after Jou disappeared that said her cell phone battery was dying, but she'd be home soon. She never arrived.

Burgess' license plate - SinJin 1 - as well as descriptions of his blue 1998 Ford Ranger pickup and his 1981 Yamaha motorcycle have been widely publicized.

On Sunday, a black plastic tool box was found by a passer-by about a mile and a half from Burgess' house. Inside was the license plate and a black motorcycle helmet, along with other items police wouldn't identify, said Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.

Investigators initially sought two men as persons of interest. They now believe Burgess used the photo of another man while contacting Jou online.

Burgess was convicted of three counts of battery in 2002 and of performing a lewd act against a child the following year.

>>>>The Full Article

http://www.knx1070.com/pages/667752.php?contentType=4&contentId=678557

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
Quote from: "Sleeks"

Not only that but I have seen so many younger women go to Craigslist to find dates, jobs, etc. and it is 9 times out of 10 a scam! How did we get to a point where people feel like they need to "meet" online?  I realize that we have all "met" here at SM, but not for dates or such...

Yes, and the other interesting thing about that is why would a kid who goes to SDSU seek an online date?  That school is very socially active - read - party school.  My son goes to a university across town from there and some of his high school friends go to SDSU and it is well known as a rowdy campus.  So why go online to seek a date??

By the way, is CraigsList not a good place to look for a job?  I have been looking there sporadically . . .  Embarassed
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 08:43:42 PM »

The clue list expands in missing O.C. student's case
A toolbox believed discarded by a sex offender held gloves, rope and a brush, a law enforcement source reveals.

July 17, 2007

A toolbox found July 8 and believed discarded by a registered sex offender wanted for questioning in the disappearance of a female Orange County student contained rubber gloves, rope and a scrub brush, a law enforcement source revealed Monday.

Earlier reports on the box's contents had not listed those items.

Donna Haghighat Jou, 19, was last seen June 23 at a party at John Steven Burgess' West Los Angeles home. About two weeks later, Burgess' toolbox was found abandoned on the side of a residential road 1˝ miles away.

Authorities said then that the toolbox contained a license plate assigned to Burgess' truck and a motorcycle helmet believed to have been used by Jou, but a law enforcement source said Monday that the toolbox also included the gloves, rope and brush.

Investigators believe that Burgess, 35, met Jou on the Internet and picked her up on his motorcycle near the apartment she shares with her mother in Rancho Santa Margarita on the day of the party. She had told people she was going on a date.

Burgess goes by the alias Sinjin Stevens and owns a 1998 Ford pickup, authorities said. Neighbors saw him at his home in the 3600 block of Faris Drive in Palms for a few days after the party, but he has not been seen since.

Jou, a physics major at San Diego State University, is close to her family and stayed in daily contact with them until her disappearance.

Her father, Reza Jou, a system integration manager for NASA's International Space Station based in Houston, said his daughter was academically brilliant, with a 1760 SAT score, but lacked street savvy.

"She was a very naive person," he said in an interview last week. "She would trust people without asking questions."

In the meantime, the family would continue its search for her, he said.

"It's really killing us. The wait is unbelievable," he said. "Every day is like a month."
http://tinyurl.com/2t9den

Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »

Sex Offender John Steven Burgess Arrested on Drug Charge in FL, POI Case of Missing Donna Jou

http://missingexploited.com/2007/07/26/sex-offender-john-steven-burgess-arrested-in-fl-in-case-of-missing-donna-jou/

Amormino said homicide investigators from Orange County were in Florida, where Burgess is currently being held on a drug charge and for failing to register as a sex offender.

Burgess has not been charged in connection with Jou’s disappearance, but authorities remain suspicious.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 11:10:33 AM »

Texas EquuSearch To Join the Search for Missing Donna Jou

http://www.scaredmonkeys.com/2007/07/28/texas-equusearch-to-join-the-search-for-missing-donna-jou/
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 04:01:49 PM »

A's... yes craig'slist is not the best place to look...

I think we are finding the tip of the proverbial iceberg on this one...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.