April 19, 2024, 05:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Donna Jou, 19 , San Diego State U Student 6/23/07  (Read 351100 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #620 on: May 18, 2009, 11:58:55 AM »

Missing SDSU Student's Killer to be Sentenced

Last Update: 7:52 am 
LOS ANGELES - A man who pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of a San Diego State University student he met after responding to an ad she had posted on Craigslist is scheduled to be sentenced Monday.

The parents of the victim, meanwhile, will demand today that the Internet service block registered sex criminals from using it to troll for victims, their attorney said.

Donna Jou of Rancho Santa Margarita unwittingly became the prey of a convicted sex criminal when she advertised her services as a math tutor on Craigslist. The man has confessed to luring her to a party at his house and then injecting her with a lethal drug overdose.

John Steven "Sinjin" Burgess will be sentenced for involuntary manslaughter today, and her parents will use that occasion to demand that Craigslist make some changes on its access policies, the parents' attorney, Gloria Allred, said Saturday.

Jou, a San Diego State University pre-med student, was home for the summer from San Diego State University in 2007 when she placed a Craigslist ad offering to help kids with math problems. It was answered by Burgess, a convicted sex criminal out on parole, who arranged for a date with her.

Jou was last heard from as she frantically sent a text from Burgess' house in West Los Angeles, saying she had locked herself in a bathroom and was afraid.

Her disappearance was covered extensively in Los Angeles and San Diego, and suspicion centered on Burgess when it became known that he had cleaned out his rental house and dumped belongings, including his "Sinjin" personalized license plate, in a garbage bin behind a nearby convenience market.

Burgess fled to Florida and was jailed there on minor charges, then imprisoned in California for violating his conditions for release from prison. Despite exhortations from Allred, he kept mum more than a year as Jou's parents went on local television to express their personal agony at not knowing where their daughter had gone.

This spring, Burgess finally confessed that he had injected an overdose of heroin and cocaine called a "speedball" into Jou. After she overdosed, he dumped her body from his boat into the Pacific Ocean, he confessed.

Burgess pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and concealing her body, and met with Jou's parents on May 9 to apologize in what was described as a teary confession. He could receive a maximum of five years' imprisonment when he is sentenced.

Craigslist has been under fire from prosecutors across the country for allowing prostitutes and strippers to advertise their services for free. The company last week announced it will now charge $10 for such listings and segregate them into an "adult services" category, and only accept such ads after Craigslist workers somehow vet them for accuracy.

But that change has displeased some prosecutors, who said it may still allow Craigslist to offer illegal services.

Allred said the Jou family will release a letter today "suggesting specific changes in the policy and practice of Craigslist, which could help to prevent other convicted sexual predators from being able to use Craigslist to contact unsuspecting young women such as Donna Jou." CNS-05-18-2009 04:42
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Donna-Jous-killer-sentenced-SDSU/KXCdp6M9QEexNDpGcZBPiA.cspx

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
SurfCity
Scared Monkey

« Reply #621 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »

Man gets 5 years for dumping college student's body at sea
3:33 PM | May 18, 2009
 A man who admitted to dumping the body of an Orange County woman in the ocean after a night of heavy drug use was sentenced this afternoon to five years in state prison.

John Steven Burgess, 36, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter on May 6 in the death of 19-year-old Donna Jou of Rancho Santa Margarita. Jou, whom Burgess met online, was a student at San Diego State University.

Burgess, who recently completed a term for failing to register as a sex offender, said Jou died nearly two years ago after he gave her cocaine, heroin and alcohol at a party at his home in Palms.

When he awoke the next morning, Burgess said, she was dead. He said he panicked and used his sailboat to dump her body in the ocean.

During sentencing today, Burgess apologized to Jou’s parents, who had pleaded unsuccessfully over the months for Burgess to reveal what had become of their daughter.

"I will try my best to forgive Mr. Burgess ... I wish him no ill will today. I only wish for the whole truth," said Reza Jou, the girl’s father.

He added: "Mr. Burgess is incapable of being sympathetic or empathetic with another human being and, for that, I can simply say, one human being to another, that makes me sad for him."

Donna Jou's body has never been found.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/man-gets-5-years-for-dumping-college-students-body-at-sea.html
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #622 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »

Five years for a young life.  How very, very sad.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #623 on: May 22, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »

unfreakinbelievable.
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #624 on: May 26, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

Granted, I do not have all the details squared away on this, but how does the court system accept the notion that manslaughter is the right charge?

A party at his house? An overdose that he administered? A frantic text from a petrified victim who has locked herself in the bathroom?  A date, by offerring math tutorial?

None of it sounds right and there's no way in he!! that I think this was accidental nor premeditated. Somehow I don't believe justice was served for this girl. In about 2 or 3 yrs, some other neighborhood or town better start watching for his next ploy because this worked so well for him. That sentence will assure that he can offend again really soon.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #625 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:55 AM »

Some of the LE who worked on this wanted it to be murder, but needed more direct evidence. A body would have helped but LA County and some what Orange County get murder convictions without a body

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #626 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:49 AM »

Mitjay and all others here, I agree with you that so far Donna has received very little Justice at al.

They even changed the manslaughter was changed to involuntary manslaughter,

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #627 on: May 27, 2009, 03:30:42 AM »

finally he was convicted by his on admissions to involuntary manslaughter, but what about the wrong way of doing away a body? What years did he get for that?

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #628 on: May 27, 2009, 03:41:44 AM »

He said he too her a mile to a mile and a half off the coast or maybe just a bit more.

He never has said (at least so we know) what he weighted her down with.

If just rolled in a sheet and blanket but into a bag wouldn't her body float back?

The San Pedro Harbor where his boat was which he says wasn't running or some LE said it.. anyway since 911 they have had cameras all over the place there... a major shipping harbor, port of LA.

Now there were reports from LE that the boat never left the harbor. Then another Le agency, (I thing Orange County said the boat never left the slip)

It seems the LE who said it never left the Harbor would have evidence to back it up?
Images, satellite

What do you think? Need to also get Kermit in here again!

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2009, 03:49:10 AM »

Oh gosh, you will all have to send cookies. I am going to jail. My jury summons says it has to be in by May 16, and I can't lie. If I lie or maybe don't make the dateline, I can get up to 4 years in State Prison.

So therefore, I get 4 years for lying and he gets 5 years for killing??? Somethings wrong here!

And this 5 years was given even though he had  charges of selling, giving, and using coke and the another set for herion. (sp)

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2009, 03:56:23 AM »

I have an idea... let's have a monkey always on his back somehow all the time... any ideas

1) find monkeys here who know how to get info ASAP if he is ever up for early out and prevent it before it happens. Make him serve his whole term

Make sure he does not get out on parole or out early for good behavior.

Grouped around the wagons and started, as individuals, some of the Boycott Aruba early on. Some went to trade shows to show our views of "Justice for Natalee"

Some of Donna's family and friends sent Burgess lots of letters, emails, notes to ask him to talk.

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #631 on: May 27, 2009, 04:00:18 AM »

sorry for all these short notes here... as soon as I stop one, another idea comes

He needs to be more in detail of how he disposed of the body.
I think it was Kermit, a while back, said it couldn't have been by boat.

Maybe some of us need to write to him not to get him to talk on "Where is Donna?" but how'd you do it in the ocean

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #632 on: May 27, 2009, 04:06:07 AM »

Or how did he do it someplace else? He had lots of hidyholes around here. A g.f. told Donna's aunts about alot of them. Where he pretend to take a new girl and confinence her this was just her place but it wasn't. He had others at the same place.H

He loved the wilderness.   Once Orange County Sheriff's Dept.  LE Press release under Jim Amormino said that his he was emailing OCSD about ideas of where Donna would be and what happened to her.      This was when had run to Fla.

Then I heard later there were any emails. Go figure

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #633 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »

I have my doubts on the Ocean disposal. He could easily say this in hopes that people will stop searching for her remains.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #634 on: May 27, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »

Or how did he do it someplace else? He had lots of hidyholes around here. A g.f. told Donna's aunts about alot of them. Where he pretend to take a new girl and confinence her this was just her place but it wasn't. He had others at the same place.H

He loved the wilderness.   Once Orange County Sheriff's Dept.  LE Press release under Jim Amormino said that his he was emailing OCSD about ideas of where Donna would be and what happened to her.      This was when had run to Fla.

Then I heard later there were any emails. Go figure

Even if in the near future he deciced to tell a completely different story with all the gory details wouldn't he be protected by the double jeapordy law? 

And being nosey...... why are you having to face jail??  A monkey wants to know!   And also, hope it doesn't come to that for you.    j
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #635 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:26 PM »

I have my doubts on the Ocean disposal. He could easily say this in hopes that people will stop searching for her remains.

I agree
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #636 on: June 05, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »

For perjury on a jury summons it says you can get up to 4 years in state prison.

NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #637 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »

Prayers for Donna.

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2009, 02:59:44 AM »

Prayers for Donna, her family, and her friends.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

Hassani Campbell *Still Missing*

« Reply #639 on: July 27, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »

I heard about this case on Dr. Phil and while I'm relieved that there was some conclusion it seems like it's a murky one. Sadly I believe Donna passed away, but not in the manner that this pervert says.

He isn't being sentenced for that long and that's a sad commentary on today's justice system.

Also kinda off topic, but internet dating is what you make it. You have to be smart. Craigslist is the worst place to meet people because it's not monitored in anyway.

You should always have your guard up when meeting new people even if it's a person you ran into at a grocery store. There's some sick stuff going on in this world. Be careful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.