March 28, 2024, 02:01:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Armstrong died Saturday at age 82 - 1st man on the Moon  (Read 3096 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: August 25, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »

Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.

His family reported the death at 2:45 p.m. ET. A statement said he died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.

snip    video and slideshow at link
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/25/13478643-astronaut-neil-armstrong-first-man-to-walk-on-moon-dies-at-age-82?chromedomain=usnews

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »

please merge if you find it in another topic area....I didn't.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577613510318836918.html
He Left Big Footprints on Both the Moon, Earth
August 26, 2012

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/story/2012-08-31/neil-armstrong-service/57483268/1
Family, friends pay tribute to Armstrong
August 31, 2012

CINCINNATI -- Dozens of family and invited friends paid final tributes Friday in private services to Ohio native and rocket man Neil Armstrong, a week after the first man to walk on the moon died at age 82.

Media were barred from the invitation-only event, held at a club in Indian Hill, the upscale suburb that Armstrong called home.

Armstrong sons Rick and Mark were to give eulogies to their father. Also expected to speak: businessman and friend Charles Mechem; and Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio. Astronaut William Anders and NASA Administrator Charles Bolden are on the guest list. A public memorial will be Sept. 12 in Washington with a final resting place still undetermined. President Barack Obama ordered flags to fly at half-staff to honor Armstrong.
More...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0831/Across-America-tributes-to-Neil-Armstrong
Across America, tributes to Neil Armstrong

As a blue moon rose Friday, people across the country celebrated the life of Neil Armstrong, who in 1969 became the first human to set foot on the moon.
August 31, 2012

(2 pgs)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/06/13707947-neil-armstrong-to-be-buried-at-sea?lite
Neil Armstrong to be buried at sea
September 6, 2012

The mortal remains of the first man to walk on the moon, Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong, are to be buried at sea in accordance with his wish — but the details "are still being worked out," family spokesman Rick Miller says.

The arrangement resonates eerily with the plans that would have been put into effect if Armstrong and his crewmate, Buzz Aldrin, had perished during their history-making moon landing 43 years ago.

After a somber announcement from President Richard Nixon that the "men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace," a member of the clergy would have gone ahead with the ceremonies for a burial at sea, commending the men's souls to "the deepest of the deep" and concluding with the Lord's Prayer. Fortunately, Apollo 11 was successful on July 20, 1969, bringing a level of fame to Armstrong and his "one small step" that has continued to this day.
More...

Video and Slideshow at Link

flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/06/13707947-neil-armstrong-to-be-buried-at-sea?lite
Neil Armstrong to be buried at sea
September 6, 2012

The mortal remains of the first man to walk on the moon, Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong, are to be buried at sea in accordance with his wish — but the details "are still being worked out," family spokesman Rick Miller says.

The arrangement resonates eerily with the plans that would have been put into effect if Armstrong and his crewmate, Buzz Aldrin, had perished during their history-making moon landing 43 years ago.

After a somber announcement from President Richard Nixon that the "men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace," a member of the clergy would have gone ahead with the ceremonies for a burial at sea, commending the men's souls to "the deepest of the deep" and concluding with the Lord's Prayer. Fortunately, Apollo 11 was successful on July 20, 1969, bringing a level of fame to Armstrong and his "one small step" that has continued to this day.
More...

Video and Slideshow at Link

I had never heard about the contingency plans that were made until Armstrong's death.  I guess it was certainly an "iffy" mission.  To this day, I remember the place I was and the feeling of patriotism that I received as a 17 year-old when I heard the radio announcement that the landing was safely completed.  God bless Neil Armstrong, those who came before and those who came after for stretching the boundaries of man's horizon more than they ever could have imagined.   

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/Nation-says-goodbye-to-moonwalker-Neil-Armstrong-169626986.html
Moonwalker Memorial: Neil Armstrong remembered for courage, humility
September 13, 2012

WASHINGTON -- The nation bid farewell Thursday to Neil Armstrong, the first man to take a giant leap on to the moon.

The powerful of Washington, the pioneers of space, and the everyday public crowded into the Washington National Cathedral for a public interfaith memorial for the very private astronaut.

Armstrong, who died last month in Ohio at age 82, walked on the moon in July 1969.

"He’s now slipped the bonds of Earth once again, but what a legacy he left," former Treasury Secretary John Snow told the gathering.

Apollo 11 crewmates Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins and Mercury astronaut John Glenn and about two dozen members of Congress were among the estimated 1,500 people in the cavernous cathedral. A moon rock that the Apollo 11 astronauts gave the church in 1974 is embedded in one of its stained glass windows.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/slideshow/neil-armstrong-years-17079845
Neil Armstrong Buried at Sea
First man to walk on the moon died at 82.
September 14, 2012

Slide show with 17 images

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.